root@castle:/var/usr/palm/applications# df
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    184548     69372  73% /var
    Code:
    root@castle:/var/usr/palm/applications# du -mcs
    45      .
    45      total
    So my /var is 73% full (i.e. not at the limit) and I don't have 64MB worth of apps.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Sorry for the only tangentially-related question, but what's the easiest way to get terminal access to print out partition usage info? Is it with the Terminal homebrew app and associated service plugin? That hasn't been updated in a while, but that may just be because it there was no need. I just wanted ot make sure I wasn't missing "the best" way to do that.

Thanks,
    -- robert
    I have the same problem as others. Still cannot install anything from the App Catalog. Everything seems installed correctly by Fair Dinkum. I have the symbolic links. Here is my df -k:
    Code:
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  452296    393920     58376  87% /
    /dev/root                31728     11368     20360  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    393920     58376  87% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    tmpfs                     2048       152      1896   7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    200432     53488  79% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664      8044     31620  20% /var/log
    tmpfs                    65536      3052     62484   5% /tmp
    tmpfs                   122516         0    122516   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                           7011456   1750944   5260512  25% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    200432     53488  79% /opt
    I guess I reached the max for /var?
    Last edited by chodaboy; 10/12/2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    this DOES let u install apps from the catalog
    Well then please tell me how cause I obviously am not the only person having this issue! Just read a lot of the other posts that are the same as mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by jluna9406 View Post
    Well then please tell me how cause I obviously am not the only person having this issue! Just read a lot of the other posts that are the same as mine!
    yeah i understand...listen this program(if i read correctly) raises the memory from 64mb to 256mb or something...so it was 64mb b4...and now its 256 so if u go over the 256 it'll give u an error...now if u barely installed apps...then i have no clue...all i know is that after i installed this app...i have been able to update 2 apps and installed over 6 or so apps and everything worked gr8 for me...if it didnt for u im really sorry and hope rod has an update or w.e
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Seems to work fine. Downloaded several small apps and one LARGE 5MB app (Card Ace).

Thank you for the fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    If you have "Show All Package Types" turned off in Preferences it would be under "Available Other>Linux Application>Utilities"(Make sure Show Other Types is on in Preferences) Or just scroll down to "List Everything" and should be one of the most recent items.

I've read every detail of every page, updated repeatedly, rebooted, looked in Available Other - Preware is still not displaying the app. Any further advice for those of us who are frustrated and merely want to benefit?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    MJ, on the first page of Preware you are selecting "List of Everything" at the bottom? Then scroll down about 9 apps (will change as new apps are added) or start typing "Fair." If still not there, I'm out of suggestions.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    cover this one in awesome sauce!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Rod, here is a mod to your 'du' command so that it will only return 0 if the app catalog is running. If app catalog is not running, it will run the normal du command. What you've posted is pretty risky for anything else that depends on the du command.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 |grep findapps  >/dev/null
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
     echo "0 $2"
    else
     /usr/bin/du $*
    fi
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    This is great - but I'm noticing that it actually deletes the du and ipkg programs from the phone.. Might be better to move them to a backup file just in case?
    -mark
    EDIT - nevermind; just noticed the real du and ipkg are in a different directory and this simply replaces the NEW commands in /usr/local/bin if they exist
    Not showing up in my Preware eve after multiple updates. I cant see the new version of Preware either ( im stuck in 0.9.3). Any suggestions?
    So it appears that if you have few Homebrew apps loaded, the App limit is now 256MB and you can load Catalog Apps up to that limit. You can then load Homebrew apps beyond that point. Therefore, what we need is an update to WebOS Quick Install that will back off and save all Homebrew apps data. Then we can add the Catalog apps from the phone. And finally, Quick Install can help us put back all of the Homebrew apps again.

OR PALM CAN JUST FIX THE PROBLEM OF HAVING SUCH A LIMITED SPACE FOR APPS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! All this unnecessary hacking is ridiculous, especially since Palm is limiting the amount of MONEY they can make with all of these devices.

I love all of the patches and homebrew apps as much as the next user. But this limitation is so fundamental to the normal use of the phone, I'm baffled that there hasn't been an official fix to this. We need the viral video ninja to make more movies that call out Palm to this issue just like when they wouldn't announce a release date. PAAAAALM!!!!!!
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    No go for me Rod spent about an hour and a half trying to find a solution in the IRC channel. I still keep getting not enough space error after countless restarts. i have plenty of room in the var partition as well.

paste bin
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 248.0M    153.6M     94.3M  62% /opt
    cant figure out what the deal is. but i can not download any apps from the app catalog.

i did infact check to see if the app is installed correctly and indeed it is.

feel free to send me a PM to get my attention or whoever might have some ideas. i figure i can restore the pre might fix whatever issue i have but want to figure a solution to it incase others might be facing it.

another thing i want to try is to load the pre up with bunch of catalog apps exceeding 64mb and then restoring pre to see if it will back up and reinstall all the catalog apps or will it stop once it hits 64mb... i wonder if restoring back ups has the same limit as installing from catalog. i cant test it considering the fair dinkum app is not working for me at this point.
    Last edited by jack87; 10/12/2009 at 04:07 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Any ideas on why this won't install? It states version incompatibility.

I am at my limit on memory. Tried to install fix via Preware. When launching Preware I get "Package Service Manager running is not compatible with this version of Preware."

I am running what I thought were the latest versions of both.
    Package Service Manger v0.9.7
    Preware v0.9.4
    Thanks so much for this xorg. I suggested the same thing in other posts/comments but did not bother to write the code (which you did). I did tell rwhitby that I would not install this patch until it had better personality checking to avoid breaking other patches/scripts.

EDIT: I had also suggested that he check that the parent process that is calling the du command be a process from an app catalog. Your fix does not cover the (remote) possibility that someone might be running an app catalog update and another program/script that is using du at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Rod, here is a mod to your 'du' command so that it will only return 0 if the app catalog is running. If app catalog is not running, it will run the normal du command. What you've posted is pretty risky for anything else that depends on the du command.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 |grep findapps  >/dev/null
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
     echo "0 $2"
    else
     /usr/bin/du $*
    fi
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    ROD, Many Thank's...

AWESOME... THANK YOU... Rod... Great App... Use the App Catalog...
    There was no problem downloading Software Applications...

App: ( Fair Dinkum App Limit_v.0.3.0 )

preware_v0.9.4 <---I Used to Install my (1'st Option) - GOOD
    WebOS Quick Install_v2.72 <-- 2nd Option GOOD Aswell...
    Diffstat_v1.45
    GNU Patch_v2.5.9-3
    m505, Samsung SPH-I300, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    This is sooo awesome. It even seems to make the downloading from the App Catalog faster! rwhitby, are you accepting worshippers into the Church of Awesome? I am not worthy, but I am very grateful!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    how does this app work?

Does it allow apps to be installed in /media/internal and then create symbolic links to them in /var/usr/palm/applications or /usr/palm/application?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thank you so much! Like many others this was one of my biggest complaints/frustrations with the pre. Thank you thank you thank you!