Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    No, is that an install step I missed? My PATH is /usr/bin:/opt/bin right now.
    You've made a manual customisation of your path which excludes items that are on the standard path. No webos-internals instructions would have caused that (we just add /opt to the end of the path).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Oh wow, what a surprise this morning. Already installed and tested by installing some App Catalog apps, works great!

Thank you!!
    all I can say is WOW, AWESOME, and THANKS. Now all we need is a tool to see how close we are getting to the 256 MB limit.

Have used to install both Word Ace and Card Ace, each 5MB files, worked great. Was not able to download before.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 10/12/2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    Dude get it anyway. Its totally awesome!
    Ya I used it yesterday and while android and the sense UI is impressive, the 16bit color screen and the onscreen keyboard are pretty much terrible.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Rod...

I'm having the same problem as others...the fair dinkum seems to be installed correctly, however, I am still getting out of memory trying to install apps from the app catalog.
    My path is: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin
    Seems like that should be ok based on your previous comments.

When I run "strace -p 1168 -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var"...which numbers should add up to 0? The numbers at the end of each line after the "="?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for putting this together...this has been my biggest problem with the Pre!

BTW...my df output:
    Code:
    df -k
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  452296    391420     60876  87% /
    /dev/root                31728     11368     20360  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    391420     60876  87% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    tmpfs                     2048       164      1884   8% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    166960     86960  66% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664      6772     32892  17% /var/log
    tmpfs                    65536       180     65356   0% /tmp
    tmpfs                   122516         0    122516   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                           7011456   1656960   5354496  24% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    166960     86960  66% /opt
    Last edited by wiz1999; 10/12/2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added DF output.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See my blog post at rwhitby.net : The Definitive Analysis of Palm Pre App Install Limits and the Palm App Catalog Hanging.

It is still limited by the physical space (so you now have about 200MB, depending on how many emails you keep, instead of 64MB) in the /var partition. But you can always use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to create your own customised webOS Doctor that changes your /var partition to be 2GB in size ...

-- Rod
    So does this app pretty much change change the pysical space to 200MB instead of 64MB. Am I reading that correctly. Also since allot of us don't use close to the 8gb available on this phone if that is the case do you think another version of this program could be released to make 2gb of space available.
    I'm still not sure how exactly this app works... I thought that the number of apps you could install was limited to that 256mb partition and that there wasn't an actual numbered limit? Are there 2 limits and whichever one gets hit first blocks you from installing more?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nt4cats View Post
    EVERYONE:

This page (titled "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit") provides a technique to move large applications off of /var -- this gives you the ability to bypass the 256 MB "limit" without going to the extreme of making a custom OS image with a larger /var partition. Using this in combination with Rod's "Fair Dinkum App Limit" application solves all aspects of "size limit" issues for me on my Pre.

I do not recommend moving ALL applications off of /var -- I think if you move a handful of your largest ones you'll make plenty of room for yourself.
    NOTE: Fair Dinkum breaks the "mvapp" script from the "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit" page.

You need to change all references to "du" in the mvapp script to "/usr/bin/du".
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    NOTE: Fair Dinkum breaks the "mvapp" script from the "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit" page.

Thanks, will do.
    Please do not call this app "FDAL" - use "fairdinkum" as the short form if you must.
    -- Rod
    I'm curious... Why are we not supposed to call it FDAL??
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I've decided that I won't install this until I hit the app catalog limit. By that time Rod will probably have improved the "du" wrapper so that it works better outiside of Palm's calls to it. This is, however a great and simple workaround and a great analysis of the problem. Thanks Rod!
    Rod, I was just thinking about what might constitute a better wrapper and here's what came to my mind:

The wrapper could determine if it's parent process (caller) is the code being executed by the app catalog. If that's the case, it could return a size of 0, otherwise it could just call the real du.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    You've made a manual customisation of your path which excludes items that are on the standard path. No webos-internals instructions would have caused that (we just add /opt to the end of the path).
    Not at all! All I did was install zsh, which is probably not using the default /etc/profile. However, as I said in my follow-up reply, root is still using sh, and when I ssh in as root, I a profile with /usr/local/bin at the front of the PATH.

Installing an alternate shell for my non-privileged user shouldn't affect root's environment at all, right?
    Well I only have a total of 32 apps so I have uninstalled this until I actually reach the limit.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I updated the original "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit" page to change the script to refer to /usr/bin/du explicitly.
    Sad to say this is not working for me. All the Palm App Cat apps that I have plus all the Home Brew Apps and the messaging app/patch. I am still over the limit I can not get more Palm Apps.
    I am at my limit on memory. Tried to install fix via Preware. When launching Preware I get "Package Service Manager running is not compatible with this version of Preware."

I am running what I thought were the latest versions of both.
    Package Service Manger v0.9.7
    Preware v0.9.4
    Friends, this is why we have this community. I would have been VERY frustrated with my Pre if it weren't for people like Rod (and others) who are making this a great phone.

Here's my list of "OTHER WANTS" - Voice Dial, Calendar Search, Video Camera, BETTER BATTERY LIFE!!!

(Can I have these by Christmas? Anybody?)
    I have followed all instructions and installed via webos install but program is not working any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmastr1x View Post
    Sad to say this is not working for me. All the Palm App Cat apps that I have plus all the Home Brew Apps and the messaging app/patch. I am still over the limit I can not get more Palm Apps.
    I'm in the same boat...I have noticed that it doesn't lag nearly as bad as it used to when analyzing for space, I still get the out of space error from the App Catalog. Here's my df:

Code:
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  452296    406056     46240  90% /
    /dev/root                31728     11368     20360  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    406056     46240  90% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    406056     46240  90% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2048       152      1896   7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    190932     62988  75% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664     10524     29140  27% /var/log
    tmpfs                    65536       188     65348   0% /tmp
    tmpfs                   122516         0    122516   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                           7011456   2840512   4170944  41% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    190932     62988  75% /opt
    Thanks man, I just did my donation.
    Could it be possible to have an iphone spoof agent thru preware that works with 1.2.1
    Thanks
    Serge
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast