Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    I have updated feeds four times now and still not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I've made sure I am running the latest preware, and made sure to refresh the feeds, and I don't see it anywhere in Preware yet either
    If you have "Show All Package Types" turned off in Preferences it would be under "Available Other>Linux Application>Utilities"(Make sure Show Other Types is on in Preferences) Or just scroll down to "List Everything" and should be one of the most recent items.
    Thank you so much. Very well done!
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Does it simply remove the limit and still install apps on default /var? If so, sounds like a good tactical solution for now but there is still the issue of filling up /var quickly. Or does it use /media in some way? Have not tried it yet.
    It removes the arbitrary limit. The laws-of-the-universe limit (i.e. the size of the /var partition) is still in place, but you can always use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to increase the /var size to 2GB ...

It is a tactical solution to the problem.

I expect Palm to provide the strategic solution.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexwebshare View Post
    lets say I have installed the patch and downloaded multiple apps from the catalog that exceed the standard limit..then I have to reset the phone to factory settings..the phone will normally try to download and install all the apps I had on the phone before..but the patch has not been installed because the phone has just been restored...(Im talking about a complete restore using the webos doctor)..when putting your profile info upon boot up it will install all previous apps..
    Since after a reset to factory scenario you will no longer have any homebrew packages installed, then the worst case is that you can only restore 64MB of apps from the App Catalog.

Is there really 64MB worth of useful apps in the catalog at the moment? You be the judge

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Now that is the funniest thing I have ever heard since the Pre came out.
    Just wanted to say THANKS, I knew a precentral dev would fix this problem before Palm did.
    Hi Rod, I installed it just like you said and it says installed but then when I go to app catalog and try to install any apps I am still getting the error, sorry not enough memory please remove apps, what gives, I thought this was supposed to fix it?
    Great!!! This is what I have been waiting for!!!!!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    EVERYONE:

This page (titled "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit") provides a technique to move large applications off of /var -- this gives you the ability to bypass the 256 MB "limit" without going to the extreme of making a custom OS image with a larger /var partition. Using this in combination with Rod's "Fair Dinkum App Limit" application solves all aspects of "size limit" issues for me on my Pre.

I do not recommend moving ALL applications off of /var -- I think if you move a handful of your largest ones you'll make plenty of room for yourself.
    I love that I noticed this in Preware before noticing the thread here!
    [ The cautious part of me then came here before installing it. ]

Quote Originally Posted by jdoelger View Post
    Amazing work. I went and wikipedia-d 'fair dinkum', never heard of the expression before. Clever.
    Rod, can you give us a few funny "marketing blurbs" about how to use the phrase 'fair dinkum' in the context of WebOS. Something like:

Na mate, I'l tell ya what...that rwhitby guy come roun he-gain..Il give to em right..bloody fair dinkum mate!"
    (paraphrasing Urban Dictionary: fair dinkum)

I'd like it to be known on the web, that while VolksWagen has "Farfignugen", I discovered early on that WebOS Internals has RWhitby and a host of others who make transform a "good device with potential" into the good device that it really is!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for your hard work in making this workaround available. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. The package seems to install fine:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/ipkg -o /var/ list_installed | grep fair                                        
    org.webosinternals.fairdinkum - 0.3.0 - Fair Dinkum App Limit
    but when I try to install from the app catalog, I still get the same error.

Here's my df -k output:

Code:
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  441.7M    386.7M     55.0M  88% /
    /dev/root                31.0M     14.3M     16.7M  46% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    386.7M     55.0M  88% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            441.7M    386.7M     55.0M  88% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2.0M    176.0k      1.8M   9% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    154.6M     93.4M  62% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             38.7M      9.8M     28.9M  25% /var/log
    tmpfs                    64.0M    120.0k     63.9M   0% /tmp
    tmpfs                   119.6M         0    119.6M   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                              6.7G      1.1G      5.5G  17% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            248.0M    154.6M     93.4M  62% /opt
    Any idea what might be happening, or how I can debug further?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    It removes the arbitrary limit. The laws-of-the-universe limit (i.e. the size of the /var partition) is still in place, but you can always use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to increase the /var size to 2GB ...

It is a tactical solution to the problem.

-- Rod
    Until they do, I intend to keep pursuing the symlink method as it does save space on /var. Well over 90% of apps can be moved with this method.

I noticed that the WebOS 1.2.1 update downloaded it into /var, which took up 30% more /var space. If anyone gets their /var to using 70% or more, they may not be able to run major OS updates.

Nice work BTW.

You may want to add a warning that there is still a soft app limit (if /var exceed 70%) that could crash the OS if too many apps are installed.

In the meantime, this is a way to reduce /var space until Palm comes up with something...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-proposal.html
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for your hard work in making this workaround available. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. The package seems to install fine:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/ipkg -o /var/ list_installed | grep fair                                        
    org.webosinternals.fairdinkum - 0.3.0 - Fair Dinkum App Limit
    but when I try to install from the app catalog, I still get the same error.

Any idea what might be happening, or how I can debug further?
    ls /usr/local/bin

ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr

(get the process id from that last command)

strace -p <process-id> -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var

Add up all the sizes. They should all be zero.

-- Rod
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    You may want to add a warning that there is still a soft app limit (if /var exceed 70%) that could crash the OS if too many apps are installed.
    If someone can provide hard evidence of a real limit, then we can incorporate that into the du wrapper script.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ls /usr/local/bin
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           59 Oct 12 10:31 du -> /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.fairdinkum/du
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           61 Oct 12 10:31 ipkg -> /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.fairdinkum/ipkg
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jun 23 22:18 sudo -> /opt/bin/sudo
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jun 23 22:18 visudo -> /opt/bin/visudo
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       591232 Sep 29 20:41 wifi-mfg-labtool

ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr

(get the process id from that last command)

strace -p <process-id> -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var

Add up all the sizes. They should all be zero.

-- Rod
    Here are the first few lines, it goes on for all of my installed apps:
    Code:
    access("/var/luna/data/.passcode", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat64("/var/usr/palm/applications", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISGID|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    statfs("/var/usr/palm/applications", {f_type="EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC", f_bsize=4096, f_blocks=63480, f_bfree=23901, f_bavail=23901, f_files=65536, f_ffree=52637, f_fsid={-131123825, 636724721}, f_namelen=255, f_frsize=4096}) = 0
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.filemgr\n", 4096) = 55
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.internalz\n", 4096) = 57
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.accuradio.player\n", 4096) = 50
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.accuweather.palm\n", 4096) = 50
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.adsllc.wxrad\n", 4096) = 46
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.apnews.webos\n", 4096) = 46
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.arijasoft.palmonlineradio\n", 4096) = 59
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.caldantech.rollerball\n", 4096) = 55
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.citysearch.mobile\n", 4096) = 51
    read(111, "0 /var/usr/palm/applications/com.deliciousmorsel.feeds\n", 4096) = 55
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           59 Oct 12 10:31 du -> /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.fairdinkum/du
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           61 Oct 12 10:31 ipkg -> /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.fairdinkum/ipkg
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Jun 23 22:18 sudo -> /opt/bin/sudo
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jun 23 22:18 visudo -> /opt/bin/visudo
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       591232 Sep 29 20:41 wifi-mfg-labtool
    Do you have /usr/local/bin in your path before /usr/bin ?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I love that I noticed this in Preware before noticing the thread here!
    [ The cautious part of me then came here before installing it. ]
    I've decided that I won't install this until I hit the app catalog limit. By that time Rod will probably have improved the "du" wrapper so that it works better outiside of Palm's calls to it. This is, however a great and simple workaround and a great analysis of the problem. Thanks Rod!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Do you have /usr/local/bin in your path before /usr/bin ?
    -- Rod
    No, is that an install step I missed? My PATH is /usr/bin:/opt/bin right now.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Actually, let me amend that statement -- when I log in as root, my PATH is:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin::/opt/bin:/opt/sbin
    When I log in as my non-privileged user account, the PATH is just:
    Code:
    /usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin
    Everything on the Pre is running as root, though, so it should be using the first one, right?
    Had to refresh the feeds a couple of times before it appeared in the List of Everything. Applied it without issue. I then immediately went to the App Catalog to download the 5000K Care Ace:Hold Em App that I have been unable to get to this point. My first attempt to download it was unsuccessful. After a device reset, I still got the "Sorry, not Enough Memory" message. Am I doing something wrong, or is this not not the final solution we've been looking for?

FYI, my phone is NOT Rooted, but I am an experienced user of WebOS Quick Install, fileCoaster, Preware & Preload. My Preware is up to date with the latest version.
    Last edited by chronic25; 10/12/2009 at 10:21 AM.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast