Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What is the output of:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/ipkg

?

We haven't changed Package Manager Service in the last 2 days, and the changes to Preware should not affect this stuff.

To turn off the fair-dinkum functionality do:

mv /usr/local/bin/ipkg /usr/local/bin/ipkg.save

-- Rod
    I just got a Package Manager service update in Preware about 4 days ago, and then a Preware update like 1-2 days ago. It has been since then I can't download anymore. I'll output your request here momentarily.
    Here:
    Last edited by volcom45; 11/12/2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for the work y'all have done on this and the mvapp.

Things worked smoothly. Now I've just gotta catch up on what's all in the App Catalog since I can download again.
    Rod,

Any word on why the app catalog still freezes when installing apps from the catalog? Originally, when I installed the Fair Dinkum App Limit it instantly fixed the issue of the app catalog freezing. Since the package manager service was supposed to subsume the Fair Dinkum App Limit into it, I have not installed it on my Pre yet. However, I have the most current Package Manager Service and the most current Preware but the app catalog still freezes when trying to install apps. Will it hurt to just install the Fair Dinkum App Limit anyway and see if that helps the problem? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Since WebOS 1.3.1 and updates to Package Manager Service, I can no longer download from the app catalog. Once again I get the "not enough memory" message. Frustrating!

I have the Terminal app and MvApp stuff installed and ran it back a few weeks ago. It worked fine but I'm not comfortable moving stuff around via commands in a system I'm unfamiliar with.

When might an update to Package Manager Service/Fair Dinkum be available to get WebOS 1.3.1 running without the arbitrary memory limit?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I also have been getting the "not enough memory" error since upgrading to WebOS 1.3.1. I was getting this error immediately after the upgrade. Since then, I have tried updating the Package Manager Service and the Fair Dinkum patch. I am still having no luck.
  6.    #506  
    You need to use MvApp.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have been having the problem of getting that i am out of space when I use the app catalog. Thinking I could fix this i uninstalled the PMS and Preware. While these two were removed i checked to see if i could d/l from the app catalog and low and behold I could. Then i went and added the PMS and Preware back on only to find that my limit problem had reoccurred. I don't know whats going on but it doesn't seem like the fair dinkum stuff is working. Is this normal?

Oh and btw I am able to install new programs using preware.
  8.    #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I have been having the problem of getting that i am out of space when I use the app catalog. Thinking I could fix this i uninstalled the PMS and Preware. While these two were removed i checked to see if i could d/l from the app catalog and low and behold I could. Then i went and added the PMS and Preware back on only to find that my limit problem had reoccurred. I don't know whats going on but it doesn't seem like the fair dinkum stuff is working. Is this normal?

Oh and btw I am able to install new programs using preware.
    Some people are adversely affected by the fix. So Preware now has an option to turn the partial app fix off.

Then look at MvApp ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Removed the partial app fix and still have the problem. I will try the mvapp method. Any idea as to why my phone doesn't seem to like the fix?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I got this as my report for mvapp

Gathering diag report, hold please...
    var used: 160MB 64%
    var available: 88MB
    app used: 18MB on /var
    # total apps: 70
    email used: 33MB on /var
    attach used: 11MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 63MB
    ipkg lists: 2MB

Recommendations...

- Keep "var used" well below 125MB.

- Consider reducing space on /var.
    /var use is greater than 125MB.

- Consider moving email: mvapp linkemail

- Consider removing optware packages.
    You have optware software installed.
    See: ipkg-opt list_installed
    Do: ipkg-opt remove ipkg
    Ask on PreCentral.

This report is available on media
    drive as... diagreport.rtf

Not sure about the optware stuff it mentions and it says to ask on precentral.. Do you know what is meant by this?
  11.    #511  
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I got this as my report for mvapp

Gathering diag report, hold please...
    var used: 160MB 64%
    var available: 88MB
    app used: 18MB on /var
    # total apps: 70
    email used: 33MB on /var
    attach used: 11MB on /var
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 63MB
    ipkg lists: 2MB

Recommendations...

- Keep "var used" well below 125MB.

- Consider reducing space on /var.
    /var use is greater than 125MB.

- Consider moving email: mvapp linkemail

- Consider removing optware packages.
    You have optware software installed.
    See: ipkg-opt list_installed
    Do: ipkg-opt remove ipkg
    Ask on PreCentral.

This report is available on media
    drive as... diagreport.rtf

Not sure about the optware stuff it mentions and it says to ask on precentral.. Do you know what is meant by this?
    I suspect you installed quilt and the other stuff. If you're not using it, then remove it using ipkg-opt list to see the packages and ipkg-opt remove <package-name> to remove them.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    My curiosity was struck reading the report mvapp generates. I never used it before, so I installed it and ran the thing that generates the report the results are interesting.

var used 100MB 40%]
    var avail 148MB
    app used 30MB
    # apps 86
    email 4MB
    attach 0MB
    var tmp 0MB
    opt 33MB
    ipkg lists 2MB

the interesting thing is the whole 86 apps part. I counted all apps preloaded and ones I installed (icons seen in launcher) totals 58. If you include the stuff installed with preware that doesn't have an icon the total still is only in the low 60s so I am clueless how it figures there are 86 apps installed. Are apps leaving garbage behind that mvapp is seeing as an installed app? I certainly hope apps aren't leaving junk behind like windows apps do. That can add up when you are talking about limited space (my this I mean 8GB). In the grand scheme of things as more and more apps come out that 8GB will fill up and if tons of apps are tried ut removed never to be used again I'd hate to find 1GB of wasted space from left overs after trying say 100 apps or something over time.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Are you including patches in your count? There is a known issue with PreWare not fully removing apps folder on a remove, though it does remove most of the app itself. Sometimes happens with App Cat apps too.

Try running in latest version of mvapp...

mvapp checklinks
    (m cl)

If you have abandoned folders, it will allow removing them.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Is the FairDinkum and MvApp also for errors reading "Cannot find an application which opens this file"?? or "No handler" errors?
  15.    #515  
    Quote Originally Posted by lovely_olemiss View Post
    Is the FairDinkum and MvApp also for errors reading "Cannot find an application which opens this file"?? or "No handler" errors?
    No.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Are you including patches in your count? There is a known issue with PreWare not fully removing apps folder on a remove, though it does remove most of the app itself. Sometimes happens with App Cat apps too.

Try running in latest version of mvapp...

mvapp checklinks
    (m cl)

If you have abandoned folders, it will allow removing them.
    Oh if it is using the folders as the basis for how many apps this makes sense because I just discovered people are making custom icons for 3rd party apps in their themes and that stuff is getting left behind when removing the theme. Perhaps this is a good time to say please do something to clean up that part of themes. i found like a dozen or so folders for apps i have never used with an icon file in them I stopped installing themes because people aren't making sure they cover all of the images in the phone app and end up with a green piece at the bottom of the dial pad or they make the messaging app ugly or unreadable with their color choices or fail to also adjust the CSS along with their image changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Rod,

Any word on why the app catalog still freezes when installing apps from the catalog? Originally, when I installed the Fair Dinkum App Limit it instantly fixed the issue of the app catalog freezing. Since the package manager service was supposed to subsume the Fair Dinkum App Limit into it, I have not installed it on my Pre yet. However, I have the most current Package Manager Service and the most current Preware but the app catalog still freezes when trying to install apps. Will it hurt to just install the Fair Dinkum App Limit anyway and see if that helps the problem? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Any response to this? My app catalog still freezes when installing/upgrading. Do we need Fair Dinkum App Limit or do we not? I have the most up to date package manager service and Preware. Will it hurt to install this anyway?
    I have looked all over in Preware but can not find this app. Has it been removed? Renamed?
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    I have looked all over in Preware but can not find this app. Has it been removed? Renamed?
    its part of the Package Manager Service...you already have it
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    its part of the Package Manager Service...you already have it
    Strange. When I go to install I still get the "App Storage Is Full" error. I do have mvapp and have used it for awhile now. df -h shows /var as having 98.1 MB free.