Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627 LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Package Manager Service 0.9.16 (just released) should address both scenarios.

Please test and let us know whether it works.

-- Rod

Thanks for the debugging help in the IRC channel. I highly recommend that folks go to the irc channel and spend a little time to help developers figure out the problems. I had no idea what I was doing but I can cut and paste and follow directions.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I have installed fair dinkum on 17.10.09. After having updated packet manager service to the latest .16 version, I don't find fair dinkum anymore (wanted to remove it)
    ????
  3.    #483  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    I have installed fair dinkum on 17.10.09. After having updated packet manager service to the latest .16 version, I don't find fair dinkum anymore (wanted to remove it)
    ????
    Excellent. The automatic removal is working perfectly then.

Did you read the Changelog?

-- Rod
    I updated Package manager, deleted Fair Dinkum but now it's not working. I'm getting the "not enough memory" when trying to install from the app catalog.
    I installed the latest version of the package manager service, but I still constantly get the not enough memory message, I was getting that when I installed Fair Dinkum as well. Any advice?
  6.    #486  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I updated Package manager, deleted Fair Dinkum but now it's not working. I'm getting the "not enough memory" when trying to install from the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlaing View Post
    I installed the latest version of the package manager service, but I still constantly get the not enough memory message, I was getting that when I installed Fair Dinkum as well. Any advice?
    The first step in debugging this is to post the output from "df /var" and "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications". You can use WebOS Quick Install's Linux commandline page, or Terminal, to type in those commands.

The most likely cause of your problems is you have less than 100MiB free in /var, and therefore need to use something like MvApp.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Got the following:

df /var
    253920 158400 95520 62%/var

du -s /var/usr/palm/applications

45224 /var/usr/palm/applications

Thanks for any help (thanks for the reply)
  8.    #488  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Got the following:
    253920 158400 95520 62%/var
    That means you have 95520 1K blocks free, which is less than the 100MiB (102400 1K blocks) free space safety net required by Palm.

The Package Manager Service is functioning correctly - you will need to use MvApp to create more free space on /var.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    mine only shows 52948 free; I have no paid apps, just things I've installed through Preware. Is the email cache issue contributing to this? I have three accounts, including a large work Exchange account. I've already moved many of the apps, and all the large ones, that show up on MVAPP but I'm still showing not enough memory...
  10.    #490  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    mine only shows 52948 free; I have no paid apps, just things I've installed through Preware. Is the email cache issue contributing to this? I have three accounts, including a large work Exchange account. I've already moved many of the apps, and all the large ones, that show up on MVAPP but I'm still showing not enough memory...
    The latest MvApp supports moving email too ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Here's the latest 'mvapp'...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html

It has a new 'doctor' function that will show var storage hog areas, which is typically email, attachments and apps. But it also could be optware. The 'doctor' will suggest what to do.
    mvapp has worked wonders for me. I can now finally install some of the new apps from the App Catalog.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, I installed the upgraded version on package manager service (0.9.16) and I keep getting the memory error when I try to download new apps. I've deleted about 2/3 of the apps I had but still can't download new apps. I don't have the techincal ability/knowledge to post what ever readouts needed to help but I do know that with PMS Version (0.9.11) I didn't have these issues. When I upgraded to .16 that's when the errors began.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    Ok, I installed the upgraded version on package manager service (0.9.16) and I keep getting the memory error when I try to download new apps. I've deleted about 2/3 of the apps I had but still can't download new apps.
    +1 removed preware and the package manager while home for lunch and now I am good to go and can download once again from the app catalog. Not sure if preware/updated package manager was the culprit but will wait a few days before reinstalling it.
    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Platinum; Visor Phone, Palm Zire 72; Treo 270, 700p; Centro x2; Pixi, Pre
  15.    #495  
    Please post the output of:

df /var
    du -s /var/usr/palm/applications

You can do this using the WebOS Quick Install Linux commandline window.

Without that information, we cannot begin to debug your problem.

-- Rod

Rod, I have an issue with recurrent updating. I blocked updates, but apparently one 1.21 update was downloaded but not installed and is sitting there taking up space. I am not sure if the blocking patch prevents downloading or prevents auto install. This is the script, which I'm sure you've seen on other threads:

Code:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

to re-enable updates, enter this into terminal:

Code:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    If I just delete the stored update, would it be autodownloaded again? Since the new OS is probably just around the corner, I'd rather not have to remove and reinstall everything and then have to do it again next week just to be able to download some apps. And do you have any other suggestions as to how to open up space other than moving the email? Have there been any consequences of that? My device is a work device and if anything messes up my Exchange, including the security, there will be ramifications (they will hunt me down, probably).

And is anyone else irritated that apparently they are not going to address this issue in the new update? If I were a developer and people couldn't download my app I would not be pleased...
    Rod,

I have version 0.9.17 of the package manager service and 0.9.7 of preware. I do not currently have the Fair Dinkum App limit installed on my Pre. I just installed an app from the official app catalog and it froze after the end of the download like it did before you created this fix. When I search for Fair Dinkum it says that it has been subsumed into the package manager if you have version 0.9.13 or later. I have the later version, is it still supposed to freeze? Should I just install Fair Dinkum anyway? Thanks for any help or insight you can give.
    The Fair Dinkum that was built into PreWare worked fine for me in the last version but ever since upgrading yesterday, I now instantly get the no memory available message on anything in the App Catalog. This is definitely not the case as I use Mvapp on nearly everything and have plenty of free space. What change did you make to Preware that would mess it all up for me now? And how do I turn it off so I can resume installing? I wish I hadn't upgraded to the latest Preware now.

It appears it is embedded into Package Manager 0.9.13 and later. So it is whatever you did to it in the newest Package Manager because 0.9.13 worked fine for me and now it doens't.
    Last edited by volcom45; 11/12/2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    The Fair Dinkum that was built into PreWare worked fine for me in the last version but ever since upgrading yesterday, I now instantly get the no memory available message on anything in the App Catalog. This is definitely not the case as I use Mvapp on nearly everything and have plenty of free space. What change did you make to Preware that would mess it all up for me now? And how do I turn it off so I can resume installing? I wish I hadn't upgraded to the latest Preware now.

It appears it is embedded into Package Manager 0.9.13 and later. So it is whatever you did to it in the newest Package Manager because 0.9.13 worked fine for me and now it doens't.
    I'm now having this exact same problem.
  20.    #500  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post

What is the output of:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/ipkg

?

We haven't changed Package Manager Service in the last 2 days, and the changes to Preware should not affect this stuff.

To turn off the fair-dinkum functionality do:

mv /usr/local/bin/ipkg /usr/local/bin/ipkg.save

-- Rod