Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627 LastLast
    I also am getting the " Not enough Memory" error. Give the guys some time and hopefully a fix will be down shortly. I have installed, reinstalled,uninstalled FairDinkum multi times and nothing is working. So we must wait. Patience young grasshopper. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I also am getting the " Not enough Memory" error. Give the guys some time and hopefully a fix will be down shortly. I have installed, reinstalled,uninstalled FairDinkum multi times and nothing is working. So we must wait. Patience young grasshopper. lol
    if u got mvapp installed...open terminal type mvapp bulkmv and move applications manually...i did it and it works
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    if u got mvapp installed...open terminal type mvapp bulkmv and move applications manually...i did it and it works
    Are there instructions for this somewhere? I'm willing to try it.

::: Nevermind. I think I found it on webos-internals. Thank you! :::
    Are there instructions for this somewhere? I'm willing to try it.
    Here's the link with instructions. I did it this morning and was amazed how easy it was and how well it works. First you have to download the Terminal app and MvApp from Preware, then from the Terminal app, type "mvapp bulkmv" without the quotes. It will search your Pre and prompt you with a y/N/q as to whether you want to move the app. It starts with your biggest apps first.

Edit: I see you found it while I was typing!! Hope this helps someone else though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    Here's the link with instructions. I did it this morning and was amazed how easy it was and how well it works. First you have to download the Terminal app and MvApp from Preware, then from the Terminal app, type "mvapp bulkmv" without the quotes. It will search your Pre and prompt you with a y/N/q as to whether you want to move the app. It starts with your biggest apps first.

Edit: I see you found it while I was typing!! Hope this helps someone else though.

Thank you Ramer84015. I think this might benefit others too!

::Update moved a couple of the bigger apps and just went to the app catalog and downloaded a free app and things seem back to normal right now. :::Fingers crossed::
    Thank you again to the people who have helped me. I love this forum.::::
    Last edited by skinneejay; 10/31/2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Thank you Ramer84015. I think this might benefit others too!

::Update moved a couple of the bigger apps and just went to the app catalog and downloaded a free app and things seem back to normal right now. :::Fingers crossed::
    Thank you again to the people who have helped me. I love this forum.::::
    Which version of Package Manager do you have installed? I have the .12 release from Rod's help this morning. Appears there may be a problem with the .13 release. I'm going to wait to see what comes of it. Also noted that MvApp was updated today, can't find any info on how you handle moving email attachments though.

Edit: Wiki's been updated. The command is "mvapp le".
    Last edited by Ramer84015; 10/31/2009 at 02:12 PM.
    I did have the .12 release this morning. I went out came back home saw that there was a .13 so I installed that. I didn't read the post first. Bad me! haha. After I installed .13 this was when I was getting the memory error in the app catalog. Never had it before. So then I installed terminal and mvapp and did what you said. Now everything seems to be working again. Weird huh?
    I did have the .12 release this morning. I went out came back home saw that there was a .13 so I installed that. I didn't read the post first. Bad me! haha. After I installed .13 this was when I was getting the memory error in the app catalog. Never had it before. So then I installed terminal and mvapp and did what you said. Now everything seems to be working again. Weird huh?
    I don't think Package Manager would effect moving apps, I "believe" it's functionality is how Fair Dinkum works (or now doesn't work). I could be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have good news for the people in this thread who were able to install apps when Fair Dinkum was *not* installed, but were unable to install apps when it *was* installed (i.e. the exact opposite of everyone else in this thread).

It turns out that if the combined size of your installed apps is less than 64MiB, then the app catalog does not do the free space check to make sure you have more than 100MiB of free space left.

However, the implementation of Fair Dinkum was such that we reduced the information we returned to the app catalog when it asked which applications were installed (so it could calculate the total size of those applications) to nothing (we did this so the pause between hitting "Download" and the application actually downloading was minimized to zero).

It turns out that reducing that information to nothing somehow caused the first check (for less than 64MiB of installed apps) to fail, and trigger the second check.

So if you had less than 64MiB of applications installed, but also had less than 100MiB of free space on /var, then you would have this weird situation where the app catalog would install stuff when you did not have Fair Dinkum installed, but would refuse to install stuff when you did have Fair Dinkum installed.

Thanks to some debugging by dannns in the IRC channel, we were able to discern this pattern and verify the behaviour.

So, Package Manager Service 0.9.13 has been released, and it fixes this problem. Please try it if you had this weird opposite-to-expected behaviour before.

-- Rod
    This sounds great as I was one of those people who could download before Fair Dinkum and not after.. however, I'm nervous to update to this package manager service after seeing several people saying it now doens't work for them. If I do this and it doesn't work for me, there is no way to remove it without losing all functionality to Preware by removing this service right?
  10.    #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    I have installed Fair Dinkum v.0.4.3 and the apps catalog won't let me install even a very small app (43K). It gives me an out of memory error. I haven't had this error message issue in preware.

Any suggestions?
    You should update to Package Manager Service 0.9.13 or later, and remove Fair Dinkum.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmm, will bringing the FairDinkum functionality into Preware mess things up when Palm does their own fix for the too many apps installed thing? At least when it was its own separate app, if there was any conflict like that it could easily be uninstalled.
    It's still a separate script, and can be easily disabled. It should be independent of any Palm fix.

Quote Originally Posted by antiphon View Post
    I have PMS 0.9.13 installed and have uninstalled Fair Dinkum after updating to 0.4.3 and I get a Not Enough Memory error when trying to download from the App Catalog.
    It's likely that you do not have the required 100MiB of free space in /var.

Which version of Package Manager do you have installed? I have the .12 release from Rod's help this morning. Appears there may be a problem with the .13 release. I'm going to wait to see what comes of it. Also noted that MvApp was updated today, can't find any info on how you handle moving email attachments though.

No, the 0.9.13 is working as it should be. It seems there might be yet another "unexplained scenario" which is affecting some people. I'll need someone who is experiencing it to come to the IRC channel to debug it.

Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    This sounds great as I was one of those people who could download before Fair Dinkum and not after.. however, I'm nervous to update to this package manager service after seeing several people saying it now doens't work for them. If I do this and it doesn't work for me, there is no way to remove it without losing all functionality to Preware by removing this service right?
    There is a simple one line command in Terminal to disable the fair dinkum functionality, but I would prefer if anyone having problems would come to the IRC channel and help debug.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

A new version of 'mvapp' (v0.3.0) is now available on PreWare and allows moving/linking email. I've started a new thread for users of the release version...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html

To see all possible commands just type 'mvapp' only and it will show every command available.
    Just wanted to report that I just installed PM 0.9.13. App store still works fine. Only problem now is wishing I had the money to buy all the apps, since I have all this space now.
    Last edited by Ramer84015; 10/31/2009 at 05:16 PM.
    great news Rod, I installed the new file manager service and am having no issues with app catalog.. the long delay is now gone and no memory error. well done with finally finding the bug where fair dankum actually made things worse for some of us!
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    great news Rod, I installed the new file manager service and am having no issues with app catalog.. the long delay is now gone and no memory error. well done with finally finding the bug where fair dankum actually made things worse for some of us!
    I presume you mean the Package Manager Service, not file manager service.

Glad to hear that it is working for you. We can usually work things out when people take the time and effort to join the IRC channel and help debug situations that they are experiencing.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I presume you mean the Package Manager Service, not file manager service.

Glad to hear that it is working for you. We can usually work things out when people take the time and effort to join the IRC channel and help debug situations that they are experiencing.

-- Rod
    Haha, yes I meant Package Manager Service, sorry. Thanks for the release!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I started getting the "not enough memory" message from the app catalog today as well. I've installed both the Terminal and the MvApp apps. However, I also removed Fair Dinkum and updated Package Manager Service to try to get things back to "normal" but still can't download from the app catalog without using the Terminal/MvApp workaround--which personally I'm not too fond of. The Terminal/MvApp workaround does work but seems too cumbersome. I am certain that I have the required 100mb available in var as I've removed some large catalog programs that installed fine before the whole issue arose, just to see if I could get the new Package Manager Service to work, but without any success.

I can't wait for an update that gets things back to normal w/the way it was before w/Fair Dinkum. Ahh... the ups and downs of Pre tweaking!

Note: If I'm missing something, please, someone let me know. As of right now I can't download from the catolog without moving programs via MvApp, and to make matters worse, I can't update programs I already have, some of which I've PAID for!!!
    Last edited by mjrei; 10/31/2009 at 08:57 PM.
  17.    #477  
    It seems there are two scenarios. Some people are part of one set, others are part of the other set. Fair dinkum solved one set, the update to package manager solves the other set. The two solutions are incompatible.

I need to work out how to solve both at the same time. Please be patient.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Rod,

Thanks for addressing this. My Pre exeprience was and is again hampered big time by not being able to add programs from the catalog without the hassle of trying to remove sufficient programs or now having to run a program that looks like a dos/windows program (I know its Linux something or other --but it's so Not WEBOS looking).

Anyway, thanks in advance. I try to support the developer/programmers like you (read donate).

Thanks again.

- Mark J.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Just for the record, I have 160mb available in var (per message on the Terminal app after moving some programs over). I don't have the latest Fair Dinkum (I did until I removed it) and I do have the latest Package Manager Service, so it does appears there is another problem.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mjrei; 10/31/2009 at 09:45 PM.
  20.    #480  
    It seems there are two scenarios. Some people are part of one set, others are part of the other set. Fair dinkum solved one set, the update to package manager solves the other set. The two solutions are incompatible.

I need to work out how to solve both at the same time. Please be patient.

-- Rod
    Package Manager Service 0.9.16 (just released) should address both scenarios.

Please test and let us know whether it works.

-- Rod