Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    damn, FD still not listed for me in Preware as of this morning. What am I missing?
    Also "MvApp" and "Terminal" are not listed in my Preware. I have version 0.9.4 Something funky is going on here.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Check your Preware settings in Preferences.
    excellet
  4.    #444  
    The functionality of Fair Dinkum has now been incorporated into Preware's Package Manager Service from version 0.9.11 onwards. Updating the Package Manager Service will automatically remove the Fair Dinkum package.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This morning, I updated Package Manager and Fair Dinkum, although not sure if I should just remove Fair Dinkum if it's incorporated into Package Manager. Went to App Catalog and got not enough space error. I then read up on MvApp, installed it and from Terminal ran the command mvapp bulkmv. I moved quite a lot of my larger apps and when I run df my store-var size is 162024. I should have plenty of space but the app catalog still doesn't like me. Everything was fine before I updated Package Manager and Fair Dinkum. Any ideas?

On a side note, will I have to do anything about the apps I moved before the next webOS update?
  6.    #446  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    This morning, I updated Package Manager and Fair Dinkum, although not sure if I should just remove Fair Dinkum if it's incorporated into Package Manager. Went to App Catalog and got not enough space error. I then read up on MvApp, installed it and from Terminal ran the command mvapp bulkmv. I moved quite a lot of my larger apps and when I run df my store-var size is 162024. I should have plenty of space but the app catalog still doesn't like me. Everything was fine before I updated Package Manager and Fair Dinkum. Any ideas?

On a side note, will I have to do anything about the apps I moved before the next webOS update?
    Join us in the IRC channel at freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) to debug this problem.

There is a separate thread for MvApp - the other question is best asked there.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  7.    #447  
    BTW, if anyone is adversely affected by the Package Manager Service update, we really do want to debug why that happens, because we have never been able to reproduce it, and the functionality we have added really does make sense from a logical point of view.

If you do feel you need to remove the functionality, please PM me, so that we can debug your problem.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/31/2009 at 07:07 AM.
  8.    #448  
    There was a bug in 0.9.11 - please update to 0.9.12 instead.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Join us in the IRC channel at freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) to debug this problem.

There is a separate thread for MvApp - the other question is best asked there.

-- Rod
    Thanks to Rod's help, Package Manager update 0.9.12 fixes the problem
    So remove fair dinkum? Or doesnt it matter?

FWIW I had the same problem with not enough memory this morning when I updated, and I meta-doctored
  11.    #451  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    So remove fair dinkum? Or doesnt it matter?

FWIW I had the same problem with not enough memory this morning when I updated, and I meta-doctored
    The latest Package Manager Service will automatically remove Fair Dinkum (although you'll need to restart Preware to see that).

Meta-doctor does not solve the problem that Fair Dinkum solved, so it's not surprising that the app catalog would not work until you either installed the latest version of Package Manager Service, or Fair Dinkum.

Note that neither Fair Dinkum nor the latest Package Manager service affects the 100MiB free space in /var safety limit. You need to either use Meta-Doctor or MvApp to make more free space.

-- Rod
    Yeah its all better now. I had fair dinkum installed with meta doctor and everything was going great. Then I updated PMS and Fair Dinkum this morning at around 8:00 and went to download something from app catalog and got my first "Sorry not enough memory" error since I doctored.

Anyway it works perfectly again now so great job Rod!
    Ok just so I am clear, this morning when ran Preware I had an update available for Package Manager and Fair Dinkum. I always run PMS before any update when it is available. I then updated the Fair Dinkum.
    The latest Package Manager Service will automatically remove Fair Dinkum (although you'll need to restart Preware to see that).

Meta-doctor does not solve the problem that Fair Dinkum solved, so it's not surprising that the app catalog would not work until you either installed the latest version of Package Manager Service, or Fair Dinkum.

Note that neither Fair Dinkum nor the latest Package Manager service affects the 100MiB free space in /var safety limit. You need to either use Meta-Doctor or MvApp to make more free space.
    if I am reading this correctly I did it backwards, so should I remove the Fair Dinkum now?
  14.    #454  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Ok just so I am clear, this morning when ran Preware I had an update available for Package Manager and Fair Dinkum. I always run PMS before any update when it is available. I then updated the Fair Dinkum. if I am reading this correctly I did it backwards, so should I remove the Fair Dinkum now?
    It is safe to remove the Fair Dinkum package once you have updated the Package Manager Service to 0.9.12 or later.

-- Rod
  15.    #455  
    I have good news for the people in this thread who were able to install apps when Fair Dinkum was *not* installed, but were unable to install apps when it *was* installed (i.e. the exact opposite of everyone else in this thread).

It turns out that if the combined size of your installed apps is less than 64MiB, then the app catalog does not do the free space check to make sure you have more than 100MiB of free space left.

However, the implementation of Fair Dinkum was such that we reduced the information we returned to the app catalog when it asked which applications were installed (so it could calculate the total size of those applications) to nothing (we did this so the pause between hitting "Download" and the application actually downloading was minimized to zero).

It turns out that reducing that information to nothing somehow caused the first check (for less than 64MiB of installed apps) to fail, and trigger the second check.

So if you had less than 64MiB of applications installed, but also had less than 100MiB of free space on /var, then you would have this weird situation where the app catalog would install stuff when you did not have Fair Dinkum installed, but would refuse to install stuff when you did have Fair Dinkum installed.

Thanks to some debugging by dannns in the IRC channel, we were able to discern this pattern and verify the behaviour.

So, Package Manager Service 0.9.13 has been released, and it fixes this problem. Please try it if you had this weird opposite-to-expected behaviour before.

-- Rod
    ok. So now I wasn't having a problem at all but I updated to the new pms and now I can't download anything. Not enough memory. What should I do? Let me just add that I was ok with 0.9.12 and than I just updated to 0.9.13 and can not install from the app catalog.
    Last edited by skinneejay; 10/31/2009 at 12:42 PM.
    I have installed Fair Dinkum v.0.4.3 and the apps catalog won't let me install even a very small app (43K). It gives me an out of memory error. I haven't had this error message issue in preware.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    I have installed Fair Dinkum v.0.4.3 and the apps catalog won't let me install even a very small app (43K). It gives me an out of memory error. I haven't had this error message issue in preware.

Any suggestions?
    I think it might have something to do with the new package manager service they just released 0.9.13. But I'm not sure. It was suppose to replace the Fairdinkum app. I would just wait to see what rwhitby writes later. They are probably working on a fix right now.
    Hmm, will bringing the FairDinkum functionality into Preware mess things up when Palm does their own fix for the too many apps installed thing? At least when it was its own separate app, if there was any conflict like that it could easily be uninstalled.
    I have PMS 0.9.13 installed and have uninstalled Fair Dinkum after updating to 0.4.3 and I get a Not Enough Memory error when trying to download from the App Catalog.