Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    My apologies if I have gotten confused and you had provided more details prior to your one post. I have been reading this thread from the beginning. I also read a lot of other threads to help people out in addition to reading many of the new threads started every day. With that said sometimes I can forget if someone has made other posts in the thread especially if there is a lot of posts in between those posts in the thread. Yes there is that strange situation with a few where fair dinkum appears to do the opposite and after removing it people can install. I know troubleshooting started with one or more of those but I don't know if those have posted the requested info or not. I also wasn't implying that email was some sort of cause. I was simply stating it is possible that space can be recovered from left over cached email. While it isn't a complete solution if there is a good deal of wasted space from it then it does allow for more apps to be installed. Just like the person who gained like 20MB of space from cleaning up email. You can istall quite a few apps in 20MB. So for some perhaps even many this is a good step to take in addition to the other possible things to use such as fair dinkum and the thing that moves apps to media/internal.
    That would be me...I actually cleaned up more than 20MB if I remember correctly. I thought my email was being completely removed. I didn't want the Pre to keep it past 7 days, but there I was with a bunch of email somehow left on the Pre...even though it didn't look like it.

I put how to clean it up in a post in this thread. Look on my username if you want what I did. May help, may not. Always worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    That would be me...I actually cleaned up more than 20MB if I remember correctly. I thought my email was being completely removed. I didn't want the Pre to keep it past 7 days, but there I was with a bunch of email somehow left on the Pre...even though it didn't look like it.

I put how to clean it up in a post in this thread. Look on my username if you want what I did. May help, may not. Always worth a try.
    I couldn't remember if it was in this thread or not. I didn't know what user name to search with so it tends to be impossible aside from reading the whole thread over to locate info. Now I can point to the info in the future.
    an easy fix would simply be for sprint and palm to provide links for preware.. since preware has the ability to install with no mem restrictions... fdal did not work for me as it has not for many.... or what they could have done months ago.... palm could just fix it with an update... 4 months ago no issue with fewer apps.. now.... well lets just say palm should get a move on.. this and video recording/streaming and the phone is complete ( i know there are a few other issues.... but that is another thread)

good work guys
    Unfortunately, Fair Dinkum did not work for me. I was still getting the out of memory messages. But I have FD loaded in case I need it in the future. Thanks for doing that.

I finally had to follow Thetaman/Dr. SuSe's fix of cleaning out my emails. It worked, but at the cost of having to delete my work email account. I'm going to reload the account and see if the same issue crops up.

Thetaman's process is here, with links to Dr. SuSe:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post1978109

Palm really needs to get on these two issues, the app limit and the excess email data it stores. They are only hurting themselves with the 85+ percent of users who won't go to these lengths to download apps -- they'll instead just get a different phone. A friend of mine was debating between the Pre and two other phones and leaning toward the Pre. I had to tell her to consider the app limit issue in her deliberations.

This has been my first bad experience with the Pre, which I otherwise enjoy.

The bright side is my attempts to work with FD led me into Preware, Filecoaster and homebrews. I had been putting them off, b/c they looked complicated to load. Not so. Discovering homebrews was a nice dividend in an otherwise frustrating episode.
    Fair Dinkum worked for me. :-)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypitts2 View Post
    Unfortunately, Fair Dinkum did not work for me. I was still getting the out of memory messages. But I have FD loaded in case I need it in the future. Thanks for doing that.

I finally had to follow Thetaman/Dr. SuSe's fix of cleaning out my emails. It worked, but at the cost of having to delete my work email account. I'm going to reload the account and see if the same issue crops up.
    You and others with the Fair Dinkum "Not Working" Should really check out this thread.

It is now available in preware, and requires you to have the terminal app, or the ability to use a terminal on the phone from your computer. It gives you the ability to move applications off of the /var partition to the /media/internal area. It also (If feature not released yet will be released in next few days) allows you to move your EMAIL to the /media/internal partition. This would save you from having to go in and clean out the email the way you did. (Still not a bad thing to do every so often).

It will report back exactly what is using your space on the /var partition.

Fair Dinkum does NOT remove the 100MB free install limit. It only get's past the 64mb Installed application limit from what I understand. The above mentioned thread/ command line app helps you get past the 100MB limit.

Until Palm get's this resolved, these are the best options for getting past the install limits.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Until Palm get's this resolved, these are the best options for getting past the install limits.
    ... or starting from scratch and using the Meta Doctor to resize the partitions to your own liking. That's what I'll be doing when I finally get my Pre tomorrow.

I'll probly dedicate 1gb to the /var partition... or perhaps not even put /var on its own partition to begin with. Dunno yet. Any pros have some advice for that?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    ... or starting from scratch and using the Meta Doctor to resize the partitions to your own liking. That's what I'll be doing when I finally get my Pre tomorrow.

I'll probly dedicate 1gb to the /var partition... or perhaps not even put /var on its own partition to begin with. Dunno yet. Any pros have some advice for that?
    Rod can chime in on this. Yes, Meta Doctor is a great solution if you don't have to worry about reinstalling everything. So if you are starting with a new pre, good option. As to the /Var at all, I would think it is a good idea to keep it.
    -----------------
    Yes, I will most likely keep the /var on its own separate partition.

I was looking at the Meta Doctor page, and it said something about resizing the partition to 2gb. I'm assuming that's not set in stone, but I didn't really look that hard.
  10.    #430  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Yes, I will most likely keep the /var on its own separate partition.

I was looking at the Meta Doctor page, and it said something about resizing the partition to 2gb. I'm assuming that's not set in stone, but I didn't really look that hard.
    Just change the sed line in the Makefile before running it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Fair Dinkum is not listed under "List of Everything" anymore. Was is removed from Preware?
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Just a quick thank you for the mvapp and fair dinkum solutions. I started being unable to download from the app catalog last night, and read through most of the posts on this thread. I was so pleased to see that mvapp was developed, because I really didn't thoroughly understand how to do it by command line. Fair dinkum did not work the first time I installed it a few weeks ago, and removing it solved the app catalog problem for a while. But once I was able--following instructions here--to determine that I had hit the actual limit yesterday, moving apps, reinstalling fair dinkum and restarting solved the problem. Maybe mvapp deserves a thread of its own somewhere on this boards? Unless I missed it...
    You and others with the Fair Dinkum "Not Working" Should really check out this thread.

It is now available in preware, and requires you to have the terminal app, or the ability to use a terminal on the phone from your computer. It gives you the ability to move applications off of the /var partition to the /media/internal area. It also (If feature not released yet will be released in next few days) allows you to move your EMAIL to the /media/internal partition. This would save you from having to go in and clean out the email the way you did. (Still not a bad thing to do every so often).

It will report back exactly what is using your space on the /var partition.

Fair Dinkum does NOT remove the 100MB free install limit. It only get's past the 64mb Installed application limit from what I understand. The above mentioned thread/ command line app helps you get past the 100MB limit.

I was one of the many that Fair Dinkum doesn't work for so I tried mvapp and wow it's amazing! What an easy and solid solution! I now have tons of apps. Question for ya, once you've linked one over to the new location, what happens when that app gets an update? It update it on the new location? Or make a new copy on Var leaving the old one a mess in the new location?
    Thank so much for all the work!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Fair Dinkum is not listed under "List of Everything" anymore. Was is removed from Preware?
    I just saw it in mine.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I was one of the many that Fair Dinkum doesn't work for so I tried mvapp and wow it's amazing! What an easy and solid solution! I now have tons of apps. Question for ya, once you've linked one over to the new location, what happens when that app gets an update? It update it on the new location? Or make a new copy on Var leaving the old one a mess in the new location?
    Thank so much for all the work!
    Nope, it updates it in the linked location. Once it's linked any updates will be moved. Read the first post in that thread, I believe it talks about what it does and doesn't do. But yeah, I love it. Works great for me.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    Just a quick thank you for the mvapp and fair dinkum solutions. I started being unable to download from the app catalog last night, and read through most of the posts on this thread. I was so pleased to see that mvapp was developed, because I really didn't thoroughly understand how to do it by command line. Fair dinkum did not work the first time I installed it a few weeks ago, and removing it solved the app catalog problem for a while. But once I was able--following instructions here--to determine that I had hit the actual limit yesterday, moving apps, reinstalling fair dinkum and restarting solved the problem. Maybe mvapp deserves a thread of its own somewhere on this boards? Unless I missed it...
    It has it's own thread over in webos development. I don't know if it belongs in the webos-internals developer sub forum, or where exactly. I'll bring up to XORG about it having a new thread when he pushes the next version out this weekend.
    -----------------
    Nope, it updates it in the linked location. Once it's linked any updates will be moved. Read the first post in that thread, I believe it talks about what it does and doesn't do. But yeah, I love it. Works great for me.
    That is FABULOUS! Thanks so much!
    Awesome thanks!!!!!!
    Like Thetaman, I have 51 MB of email stuff, Fair Dinkum didn't work, and I prefer not to have to move apps; in fact, the largest app I have listed is only 2000 or so KB. I have three email accounts, Yahoo, Gmail and Exchange (work account). I have no problem deleting the first two, but I had quite a problem installing the Exchange (which requires a PIN).
    1. Will it help if I just delete the two accounts, then reinstall them?
    2. If so, is there a cache for each account separately that I can clean out?
    3. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    I just saw it in mine.
    damn, FD still not listed for me in Preware as of this morning. What am I missing?