Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I reduced by email and still I am at limit. Somebody mention a particular app was clogging their pre....what app was it?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro77 View Post
    So in looking at the wiki article at webosinternals, it looks like all you're really doing is "adding" space to /var? That is, the 64mb arbitrary limit you've addressed - is that really an arbitrary limit? Or is it a function of minfree in the /var file system, and the math just happens to work out to 64mb? Or a function of the installer maybe, to look at a percentage of free space in /var, and the math just happens to work out to 64mb?
    Rod will be able to answer this best probably. No he does not add any space to /Var. It is still the same size. His application does a couple things. First Palm's program checks to see if there is more than 64mb in applications installed or something along those lines, this avoids that problem. The 2nd is still an issue and that is Palm checks to see if you have less than 100mb free I believe it is, if it's less than that, then no go.

So this app will help you considerably without having to move apps around seeing as you have a much bigger /var. but this will get you past the 64mb issue.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    I reduced by email and still I am at limit. Somebody mention a particular app was clogging their pre....what app was it?
    If you are comfortable working with Linux command line, try the 'mvapp' method..

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...allation_Limit

It moves apps over to /media (the USB media drive), saving space on /var. Move enough apps and you'll be able to install gigabytes of apps if you'd like.
    Wish that guy would come back and post what homebrew app made Fair Dinkum start working.. was real nice of him to tease us and leave out the name.. :P although I doubt it'll solve my prob anyway..
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    **Update** Now its all working. Found an app was causing all the bane for install and update so removed it. Funny thing is was no longer in homebrew nor app catalog so maybe that explained it . Odd it just now did this :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    What app was it? Maybe it will help others who are having similar problems.

I sent him a PM asking what the app was.
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    First of all, THANK YOU for the Fair Dinkum App! After installation it was working great for me (for a week or two perhaps - I don't recall exactly when I installed it). However, I'm having a strange problem now. I can still install anything of any size that's a Homebrew via Preware, but the App Catalog is returning the Out of Memory error for anything of any size. I can install very large Homebrews with no problem at all, but even the smallest of App Catalog apps (or updates) won't install....Does this make any sense? Any reason why Fair Dinkum would respond differently to App Catalog apps vs. Homebrew/Preware apps? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! FYI - I tried a hard reset, as well as removal and reinstall of Fair Dinkum, but that didn't help....I'm not sure what else to try?....
    Last edited by ay; 10/25/2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    For all of the above quoted people, your advice is quoted below. You can clean up email by following the instructions earlier in the thread. People who get a lot of email especially multiple accounts and perhaps even have set to show back pretty far in time will likely have a lot of space used by email. After following the instructions to clean up email it would be best to reduce show email to like maybe one week or a little more.
    ummmm... Hold on there, slick. You're assuming quite a bit there.

First, my email is completely emptied out. I don't have anything on my phone other than about 10 songs/ringtones and the apps.

Second, I seem to have the same problem somebody else mentioned where whenever the FD app is installed. I deleted several apps and still was getting the out of memory error. When I uninstalled the FD patch, I was able to download more apps again (up to a point). I reinstalled the FD patch and it didn't allow me to install any more apps.

There is obviously something that's preventing this patch from working on some phones while it works just fine on others. The bugger is trying to identify the pattern and figure out that's causing the issue.

So please don't talk down to us like we haven't read the rest of the thread and haven't tried to check the obvious things.
    With latest version of Fair Dinkum installed via Preware, I get an immediate app limit error when trying to install an app from App Catalog. Without Fair Dinkum installed, I do not get the app limit error in the App Catalog and I can install the app, though I do experience the freeze issue. I have Preware installed. I have read all of the posts and instructions and cannot figure out what I may have done wrong. Any guidance would be much appreciated? Thank you.
    I found my problem. I had been using 'mvapp', which listed 35.1M total apps in /var. However, this was not all files in /var. When I moved some apps and then ran 'mvapp ra' to restore, mvapp then reported back 159MB actual usage, 89MB available, and 64% usage of /var. So, there are other files consuming memory. I moved about 11MB more of apps from the /var partition, reinstalled Fair Dinkum, and now everything works. I do not get the error in the App Catalog and installation does not hang in the Catalog. I re-read the 'Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit' Wiki and all of this now makes sense to me, since a Palm update may consume a very large amount of memory.

Thank you to Rod Whitby for the great work. Many are benefiting. (I have donated.)
    Last edited by EEP1; 10/25/2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Updated, Troubleshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    ummmm... Hold on there, slick. You're assuming quite a bit there.

First, my email is completely emptied out. I don't have anything on my phone other than about 10 songs/ringtones and the apps.

Second, I seem to have the same problem somebody else mentioned where whenever the FD app is installed. I deleted several apps and still was getting the out of memory error. When I uninstalled the FD patch, I was able to download more apps again (up to a point). I reinstalled the FD patch and it didn't allow me to install any more apps.

There is obviously something that's preventing this patch from working on some phones while it works just fine on others. The bugger is trying to identify the pattern and figure out that's causing the issue.

So please don't talk down to us like we haven't read the rest of the thread and haven't tried to check the obvious things.
    First off I don't know how you construed that I was talking down to anyone. I was providing additional info that I don't recall being posted in the thread. I can just pack it in and not try and help people so please don't bite the hand that feeds. Also I'm left to assume stuff when so many people are refusing to provide the details needed to properly troubleshoot each individuals case. Fair dinkum only takes care or one aspect of the limit so when people post hre saying they still get the error but don't use any of the previously posted steps to provide us with info we can't do anything for them because we need to know the details from performing those steps to identify if they have hit the limitation that fair dinkum can't counter. However there are other methods that do counter the other limit.

It doesn't matter if when you open the email app there are no emails in there. WebOS caches the email when it is loaded to the device. However it's cleanup routine has a flaw in it that occasions the cached email isn't cleaned up when the email is deleted from the email app. This is why I posted the info I did. Everyone hitting the other limit can follow the previous posted instructions to make sure any cached email that didn't get cleaned up gets removed. One such person did that and recovered I believe it was over 20MB that was used up by cached email that was not cleaned up correctly. I myself have looked at the email directory to see I also had cached email that didn't get cleaned out when I deleted the email.

Now we hit the point where we have to ask that the steps in the rest of the thread be followed to determine if you are at the limit beyond fair dinkum. If you have already posted this info then someone is probably already working with you to let you know what to do in order to install more apps. I'm fairly certain everyone who has taken the time to get the info requested of them has found that it is indeed the limit outside of fair dinkum that is preventing them from installing more and has been advised to use one of the other methods to make more space to add apps. Those familiar with those methods have been taking those posts. For me I have been assisting with checking for junk that can be cleaned up as in the email situation.
    it would be kool if someone made a patch to clean up email stored up in the phone instead of deleting it ourself
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11.    #411  
    Be aware that over 90% of the problems that are handled by the people who are giving up their free time at no charge here to provide support are due to people not reading the rest of the thread.

So don't be surprised if that is the first response to any question, unless the original poster gives specific and detailed evidence that all previous steps mentioned in the thread have been followed. The onus is on the poster to prove they have read the thread, not on the person providing free support to assume that they have.

It may sound harsh, but that's the way things are here.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ok i can't find this in Preware. I was able to download on one of my phones via PreLoad but I am unable to get it to work on my 2nd phone. Where else can i find this great app?!
  13.    #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by cantrben View Post
    Ok i can't find this in Preware. I was able to download on one of my phones via PreLoad but I am unable to get it to work on my 2nd phone. Where else can i find this great app?!
    Did you start typing the name in the List of Everything ?

Alternatively, select "Show All Package Types" in the preferences, or select "Show Other" ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it would be kool if someone made a patch to clean up email stored up in the phone instead of deleting it ourself
    There is a patch that allows you to perform the "read all" or "delete all" function for email. It works rather well and you can clean out all folders with this patch, not just the inbox.

Using PreWare on your phone, look in Available Patches >> Email and it's called "Read/Delete All Email".
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Be aware that over 90% of the problems that are handled by the people who are giving up their free time at no charge here to provide support are due to people not reading the rest of the thread.

So don't be surprised if that is the first response to any question, unless the original poster gives specific and detailed evidence that all previous steps mentioned in the thread have been followed. The onus is on the poster to prove they have read the thread, not on the person providing free support to assume that they have.

It may sound harsh, but that's the way things are here.

-- Rod

I fully understand, and none of that was meant as disrespect to you. I was simply responding to the person who told multiple people (including me) the problem was with email without knowing what they've attempted. He was assuming a few things. I know a bunch of people simply hit reply without reading 20+ pages of posts to see if their solution is buried somewhere. Trust me, I know how frustrating it is repeating yourself all the time.

I know my initial post really didn't give any details. If I were to report something, it would be a long rambling list of the combined attempts I've made to find a pattern. I've remove/reinstalled apps trying to find if one was causing the problem. Which included removing all Home Brew apps.

I've spent a few pains-taking hours trying to figure out if I can find a pattern. I have troubleshooting experience and I've been methodical trying to go step-by-step. The only thing I haven't done is a Partial/Full Erase to start my phone from scratch.

There's obviously something that's affecting a small portion of users, just what it is remains a mystery. I hate being in that minority and have tried to help solve the puzzle.

At one time, the Fair Dinkum actually blocked installing apps. I removed apps from my phone and kept getting the out of memory error. I removed FD and suddenly could install more apps up to a point.
    Last edited by Hobbz; 10/25/2009 at 03:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    Facebook contacts can really clog up the pre, especially if you have a ton. (since every contact has a picture saved on the pre)
    -m
  17.    #417  
    I fully understand, and none of that was meant as disrespect to you. I was simply responding to the person who told multiple people (including me) the problem was with email without knowing what they've attempted. He was assuming a few things. I know a bunch of people simply hit reply without reading 20+ pages of posts to see if their solution is buried somewhere. Trust me, I know how frustrating it is repeating yourself all the time.

I know my initial post really didn't give any details. If I were to report something, it would be a long rambling list of the combined attempts I've made to find a pattern. I've remove/reinstalled apps trying to find if one was causing the problem. Which included removing all Home Brew apps.

I've spent a few pains-taking hours trying to figure out if I can find a pattern. I have troubleshooting experience and I've been methodical trying to go step-by-step. The only thing I haven't done is a Partial/Full Erase to start my phone from scratch.

There's obviously something that's affecting a small portion of users, just what it is remains a mystery. I hate being in that minority and have tried to help solve the puzzle.

At one time, the Fair Dinkum actually blocked installing apps. I removed apps from my phone and kept getting the out of memory error. I removed FD and suddenly could install more apps up to a point.
    Hobbz,

We're all good.

All of us are trying to decode why these things are happening to a minority of people. We're dealing with closed source binaries and trying to divine their operation from the outside.

-- Rod
  18.    #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    First of all, THANK YOU for the Fair Dinkum App! After installation it was working great for me (for a week or two perhaps - I don't recall exactly when I installed it). However, I'm having a strange problem now. I can still install anything of any size that's a Homebrew via Preware, but the App Catalog is returning the Out of Memory error for anything of any size. I can install very large Homebrews with no problem at all, but even the smallest of App Catalog apps (or updates) won't install....Does this make any sense? Any reason why Fair Dinkum would respond differently to App Catalog apps vs. Homebrew/Preware apps? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! FYI - I tried a hard reset, as well as removal and reinstall of Fair Dinkum, but that didn't help....I'm not sure what else to try?....
    See the description of the 100MiB free space safety net that Fair Dinkum does not affect. It is fully described in earlier posts in this thread and in others.

-- Rod
  19. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See the description of the 100MiB free space safety net that Fair Dinkum does not affect. It is fully described in earlier posts in this thread and in others.

-- Rod
    Thank you, Rod. My sincere apologies that I missed that info earlier. I think some of us who are willing to install Homebrew Apps, patches, etc., but scared ;-) to root, don't understand linux, etc., are a little scared off by terms like terminal, var, ssh, etc. I didn't realize how easy it was to download the terminal app, and see I had reached that limit. I removed Evernote, and I'm OK again.

To all those having this same issue, but missing the applicable info in this very long thread, and possibly nervous about some of the terms used, please realize that Homebrew Apps and App Catalog apps are installed differently, and therefore you will encounter this same issue of being able to install Homebrew apps, but having difficulty with the App Catalog. Removing a larger app or two might also do the trick for you.

Thanks all!

Thanks again Rod for all the help and the wonderful app!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    The easiest way to do that is to remove the accounts and delete all of the cached email and add the accounts back. I'm not sure if there is a way to determine which files in the caches are not emails still stored in the email app. I don't know enough about this but perhaps it is possible that when we delete emails from the inbox on the pre those emails are still residing in the app like the resycle bin in windows? If this is so then what we are seeing as left over junk isn't really left over and just need to clean out that sort of recycle bin thing. This is of course assuming this hypothesis is correct.

My apologies if I have gotten confused and you had provided more details prior to your one post. I have been reading this thread from the beginning. I also read a lot of other threads to help people out in addition to reading many of the new threads started every day. With that said sometimes I can forget if someone has made other posts in the thread especially if there is a lot of posts in between those posts in the thread. Yes there is that strange situation with a few where fair dinkum appears to do the opposite and after removing it people can install. I know troubleshooting started with one or more of those but I don't know if those have posted the requested info or not. I also wasn't implying that email was some sort of cause. I was simply stating it is possible that space can be recovered from left over cached email. While it isn't a complete solution if there is a good deal of wasted space from it then it does allow for more apps to be installed. Just like the person who gained like 20MB of space from cleaning up email. You can istall quite a few apps in 20MB. So for some perhaps even many this is a good step to take in addition to the other possible things to use such as fair dinkum and the thing that moves apps to media/internal.