Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am going to hold off on following ClipCarls' suggestion on resizing the /var partition in case you need me to perform additional tests.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Another interpretation....

Fair Dinkum, is irrelevant.

Having trouble installing an App. [Sorry, not enough memory]??

Use 'mvapps bulkmv' to move and symlink apps selectively to /media/internals....

Install the desired app....

Then run 'mvapps restoreall'....

you could theoretically do this until you completely run out of space on /var
    Another problem that I encountered and that others may not be accounting for, I had over 51MB of space being consumed by email. It was my gmail account that was killing me...probably because I never cleaned out the trash and accumulated near 50MB in there.

My suggestion is clean out your email, by following some directions sent to me yesterday by DrSuSE. This really helped with my app limit problem.

I'm not really sure at this point if Fair Dinkum is helping or hurting...but I have it installed for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    Another problem that I encountered and that others may not be accounting for, I had over 51MB of space being consumed by email. It was my gmail account that was killing me...probably because I never cleaned out the trash and accumulated near 50MB in there.

My suggestion is clean out your email, by following some directions sent to me yesterday by DrSuSE. This really helped with my app limit problem.

I'm not really sure at this point if Fair Dinkum is helping or hurting...but I have it installed for now.
    Just want to clarify for myself before I start messing with (or up) stuff.
    Is there a way to clean out your email directory and attachments (not sure where they are all stored as I cant get Internalz app to work and show directories) without deleting the whole account first. I know you can but it will delete the message and leave you with blanks, but is there a way to delete the older crap that probably has dropped off anyways and keep the newer stuff.

I probably have attachments that are big from like july. dont need those.
    thanks in advance for any clarifications.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Best app ever to come out for he PRE you all ROCK!!
    mvapps only solves one of the limits... Fair Dinkum solves the other (which I think is more common?).

Please try this strace command while attempting to install an app with Fair Dinkum installed:
    strace -tt -p <pid> -s 1024 > /tmp/luna_install.out 2>&1
    Then post the /tmp/luna_install.out file. It may be big so you might need to zip it. <pid> is the process ID of the LunaSysMgr process as before.

Can you also post the output of the command:
    stat -f /var
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Another interpretation....

Fair Dinkum, is irrelevant.

Having trouble installing an App. [Sorry, not enough memory]??

Use 'mvapps bulkmv' to move and symlink apps selectively to /media/internals....

Install the desired app....

Then run 'mvapps restoreall'....

you could theoretically do this until you completely run out of space on /var
    Last edited by clipcarl; 10/15/2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Just want to clarify for myself before I start messing with (or up) stuff.
    Is there a way to clean out your email directory and attachments (not sure where they are all stored as I cant get Internalz app to work and show directories) without deleting the whole account first. I know you can but it will delete the message and leave you with blanks, but is there a way to delete the older crap that probably has dropped off anyways and keep the newer stuff.

I probably have attachments that are big from like july. dont need those.
    thanks in advance for any clarifications.
    Well, I can give you the process I went through to clean up my email. You can decide if it is the right process for you.

First let me say I had around 45MB in my gmail trash that was sitting there and hadn't been cleaned out in forever, so I cleaned that folder out (on my PC) and cleaned out other emails in other folders on my gmail account that I really didn't need (emails from precentral including wallpapers was another big delete for me). I wonder if this was a big contribution to my problem.

I'm assuming you have Preware installed, you also need to install the Terminal app.
    >Go into the terminal app and type cd /var/luna/data hit enter
    >type du -mcs * hit enter
    >Now look for the line called emails, mine was at 51, which was 51MB...entirely too big.

If yours is big, then you follow DrSuSE's post on how to clean out your email directory (several posts back but linked below)
    http://forums.precentral.net/1975791-post331.html

This freed up near 50MB for me for apps!
    Well, I can give you the process I went through to clean up my email. You can decide if it is the right process for you.

First let me say I had around 45MB in my gmail trash that was sitting there and hadn't been cleaned out in forever, so I cleaned that folder out (on my PC) and cleaned out other emails in other folders on my gmail account that I really didn't need (emails from precentral including wallpapers was another big delete for me). I wonder if this was a big contribution to my problem.

I'm assuming you have Preware installed, you also need to install the Terminal app.
    >Now look for the line called emails, mine was at 51, which was 51MB...entirely too big.

If yours is big, then you follow DrSuSE's post on how to clean out your email directory (several posts back but linked below)

My email line shows 27. Does that seem worth doing the cleanup process?

hmm...i did that and mine shows:

3 attachments
    7 emails
    1 dbdata
    1 mediadb.db3
    12 TOTAL

so guess that isnt my problem...hmm...so guess i just have too much junk (too many apps) on my pre...time to purge these I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    My email line shows 27. Does that seem worth doing the cleanup process?
    Its your call...when I did the cleanup, I went from 51MB to 8MB. Around 15 to 20MB could be a decent amount of apps. You also need to take into account what you keep stored in your email online...that can have an affect....I think.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I installed Fair Dinkum and I was unable to add any new apps, I then began deleting apps and kept trying to add new apps from the Pre App store with no success. I know I have package manager and Preware installed correctly and have dozens of patches on my phone. I don't have the knowledge to do much more to my phone and all of the talk about looking at the ipkg is out of my league, so I deleted Fair Dinkum and was reserved to my fate of not being able to install new apps. I then tried to install some apps from the Pre store, Weather channel, wooter and shortcovers and was able to install all of them with no errors! Weird, so I install Fair Dinkum and it doesn't work but I delete it and am now somehow able to add more apps.
    I had the same experience. With Fair Dinkum installed, I had to delete a TON of apps to install anything from the app catalog -- many more than I usually do. I then removed Fair Dinkum and the problem went away. I still had to delete apps of course, but not as many, and I was able to get back most of the app catalog apps I'd had to remove to make room for the Weather Channel app, and also buy the Bogus Caller app (99 cents, what the heck!) which it previously hadn't let me do. On the other hand, Fair Dinkum did solve the problem of the phone freezing for 30 seconds or so when you hit "download " -- that issue came back when I removed Fair Dinkum -- but I can live with that.

Anyway, I'm a preware and homebrew novice -- just got into all of it last week -- so I can't swear I didn't do something wrong, but it's comforting to hear that other more experienced users are having the same problem. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Palm will make all of this irrelevant by getting rid of the d*** app limit!! I have 3GB's of free space according to my "device info", I should be able to fill it up with as many apps as I want!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    mvapps only solves one of the limits... Fair Dinkum solves the other (which I think is more common?).

Actually mvapp solves both. If you move enough apps, you will be able to install App Catalog apps. It doesn't rely on Fair Dinkum but you do have to move more apps.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Code:
    lq(root@castle)-(04:41:57)->
    mq(/var/usr/palm/applications)--> # stat -f /var                                                                                     
      File: "/var"
        ID: 834db025ee549285 Namelen: 255     Type: ext2/ext3
    Block size: 4096       Fundamental block size: 4096
    Blocks: Total: 63480      Free: 12226      Available: 12226
    Inodes: Total: 65536      Free: 51241
    To start off with, the above is what I got from stat -f /var

So I installed Fair Dinkum, rebooted, LunaSysMgr has a PID of 1208 and I ran

strace -tt -p 1208 -s 1024 > /tmp/luna_install.out 2>&1

Attempted to install, YPmobile for Palm Pre, v0.5.1, 122K and got the "Sorry, not enough memory" error.

Attempted to install that application 2 more times. Same error.

I ctrl+c to end the strace process and the resultant file is attached.

Again, Fair Dinkum is currently installed and df currently reads....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    205040     48880  81% /var
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Actually mvapp solves both. If you move enough apps, you will be able to install App Catalog apps. It doesn't rely on Fair Dinkum but you do have to move more apps.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

This is basically what I have been saying..... The limitation isn't one of 'space' on the filesystem it is a limitation of the App Catalog.

LMAO, I went looking for this article ... Removing app install limit in App Catalog - WebOS Internals .... and noticed that the author was XORG, the guy/gal I am quoting..... lol why do I feel like I just met a celebrity.

Anyway, that article seems to support the fact that this is not a 'space' issue.

Remove the limitations of the App Catalog and all of a sudden Fair Dinkum AND MVAPP are irrelevant.

At least, until the 256MB on /var runs out...then you would need mvapp to move and symlink to /media/internal
    Last edited by DrewPre; 10/15/2009 at 04:18 PM.
    updated my feed and still do not see it in preware?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousracing View Post
    updated my feed and still do not see it in preware?
    Have you tried, webOS Quick Install v2.72?
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Welcome to the club, no one seems to believe me :P
    Speaking from experience in debugging, strange things such as what was described of things working opposite as expected especially adding to that the sudden apps install after removal or fair dinkum where as before the out of memory error occurred, it typically is difficult to figure out why it happens especially if it is something that can't be reproduced outside of those who report it. It is to be expected there will be some disbelief or reservations until more details are brought to light to be able to begin to identify why the reported thing occurs. But without sufficient info it can be near impossible to fix strange things like that. It seems like a good process is going on right now to fix things. Who knows perhaps in that process some light will be shed on why this particular thing has occurred.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I think it is appropriate, at this time, for me to say that I apologize if my tone has been one of a contrarian or if it appears that I am being arrogant, seeking to invalidate anyone's hard work, or simply ruffling anyone's feathers.

First and foremost my interest is in learning. The Palm Pre has provided the motivation to learn linux where before there was simply an interest with no motivation.

My next interest lies in being of service. I would sincerely like to help anyone in making the Palm Pre Platform a more enjoyable experience for all!

I am definitely here to perform whatever tasks required to make Fair Dinkum fully functional for the Pre Platform.
    Cleaned up email per Thetaman and DrSuSE and the App Catalog now works for me. I've kept FairDinkum just in case it helps wit the other issue.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Yeah, my Yahoo inbox "cleared itself" again this morning, so I took the opportunity to remove it as well as my tiny gmail account, and after removing them, still had over 50Mb in /var/luna/data/{emails,attachments} (the vast majority in the former)! I decided to drop down to keeping 1 week of mail instead of a month, since I have almost never gone back more than a week to look for an email, and after synching again, I gained back just under 50Mb of space, giving me all the headroom I could probably ever want. I don't even need Fair Dinkum yet, since I only have 43Mb in apps installed, but it's nice to know if I decide to install more apps that Fair Dinkum would let me get much further than the 20Mb left before hitting the 64Mb limit. Thanks for the tip about email hogging up space! Clearly there's a bug there somewhere...

-- robert