Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Just to keep the commands simple, you can do the following:

Code:
    cd /var
    du -mcs *
    That will give you the total size (in MB) of each directory inside /var and then a total of /var itself. Then just keep on going deeper to track stuff down (i.e. your luna directory might be large, so you can (from /var) do cd luna and then re-run that same du command and get a breakout of the luna directory).
    Is there any way of looking at this and/or cleaning/purging it out without having to get on a computer and use linux commands...maybe some way from your Pre as I am usually away from an actual computer?

This would be of big help as I think this is part of my problem. I sync Gmail inbox to my Pre...I get about 25+ emails a day and have been for months now...so think that is my problem with the App limit even with Fair Dinkum installed.

Or can you delete the email on the phone without interfering with the mail in your inbox on the actual Gmail system?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See my blog post at rwhitby.net : The Definitive Analysis of Palm Pre App Install Limits and the Palm App Catalog Hanging.

It is still limited by the physical space (so you now have about 200MB, depending on how many emails you keep, instead of 64MB) in the /var partition. But you can always use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to create your own customised webOS Doctor that changes your /var partition to be 2GB in size ...

-- Rod
    Rod,
    How about putting this info (e.g. a link to definitive discussion rwhitby.net : The Definitive Analysis of Palm Pre App Install Limits and the Palm App Catalog Hanging.) in your top level post about use of Fair Dinkum App Limit so that people looking there can grasp the whole picture. I knew Fair Dinkum App Limit had limitations but I needed to search through this rather shallow thread to find your next post (to this deep question, which I knew would come up). I saw your answer in another thread to use terminal - df and see if /var is >60% etc etc.... In short, would be great to have this in one place. I will make my donation now.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Ok, I did du -mcs * on /luna and found that I have 45meg of emails in /var/luna/data/emails/bucket-(1-19). I also see that the dates of the files in the various directory's are not sequential, i.e. bucket-1 is not from Jun-Jul, but are from all months.

So my question is: Can I safely delete the /bucket-x directorys, and will they be recreated as needed? I don't need to have any saved emails on my phone, but don't want them deleted off my gmail accnt. Or are they going to also be created to sync back to ALL my archived mail on my gmail accnt?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    Ok, I did du -mcs * on /luna and found that I have 45meg of emails in /var/luna/data/emails/bucket-(1-19). I also see that the dates of the files in the various directory's are not sequential, i.e. bucket-1 is not from Jun-Jul, but are from all months.

So my question is: Can I safely delete the /bucket-x directorys, and will they be recreated as needed? I don't need to have any saved emails on my phone, but don't want them deleted off my gmail accnt. Or are they going to also be created to sync back to ALL my archived mail on my gmail accnt?
    If you delete the contents of /var/luna/data/emails they will recreate themselves as you get email. However, this has a funny little effect. Your index is actually not part of that directory so your email index will still be there, but any previously downloaded email bodies will not redownload so the messages will appear blank.

What I did was delete all 4 of my email accounts, delete the contents of that directory, then re-add my email accounts.

The Pre's email storage mechanics make no sense to me at all for IMAP accounts (all 4 of mine are). The only thing it should be storing in a non-temporary fashion are messages/bodies and intentionally downloaded attachments for INBOX items. Nothing else should be stored in permanent fashion.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Is there any way of looking at this and/or cleaning/purging it out without having to get on a computer and use linux commands...maybe some way from your Pre as I am usually away from an actual computer?
    You need to use those commands, but you could do it with the terminal app.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Or can you delete the email on the phone without interfering with the mail in your inbox on the actual Gmail system?
    I'd rather not answer this question. It depends on POP vs IMAP and different rules on the various places you check email and if you do something wrong I don't want you to blame me. :-P Do some light research whichever protocol you're using. :-P
    If you delete the contents of /var/luna/data/emails they will recreate themselves as you get email. However, this has a funny little effect. Your index is actually not part of that directory so your email index will still be there, but any previously downloaded email bodies will not redownload so the messages will appear blank.

What I did was delete all 4 of my email accounts, delete the contents of that directory, then re-add my email accounts.

The Pre's email storage mechanics make no sense to me at all for IMAP accounts (all 4 of mine are). The only thing it should be storing in a non-temporary fashion are messages/bodies and intentionally downloaded attachments for INBOX items. Nothing else should be stored in permanent fashion.
    Thanks DrSuSE, you have helped me out a lot! Your previous post helped a lot in diagnosing my problems more.

I have 59MB in Luna which 51MB was email. I can delete my email accounts and add them back.

How do you delete the contents of the directory? What's the command to do this? Will it hurt doing this since I will essentially be adding the accounts back like they were never there before.

Also found 30MB in opt. Is this related to rooting I had done previously before we had wonderful tools like Preware and WOSQI with their tweaks and patches?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I installed the update and now the limit is back on again...I reset Luna, uninstalled Fair Dinkum app and reinstalled and still the limit is back...

Thought you should know... btw thanks!! The first one worked like a charm and I was able to download with no problems!!!!! :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    What do you mean? I only have like 30-40 Apps installed (including the Palm ones). I thought the whole purpose of your App was to give us access to the full 256megs. I don't see how this even helps me if it won't help me now? Seems more like a bug in your app to me. If I can install another App without your software and can't with your software, I don't buy that I need to free up space.. I've heard some people here saying your App has opened up the 256megs for them, and clearly I'm no where even near that limit and unable to do anything with Fair Dainkum.
    That's really interesting. I'm not sure how you would be able to install without Fair Dinkum but not with it. What is the output of the following commands (with Fair Dinkum installed):
    df -h

ls -l /usr/local/bin

ls -l /bin/ipkg*

ls -l /var/usr/palm

mount

echo $PATH

cat /etc/palm-build-info
    Also, edit the /usr/local/bin/ipkg script and uncomment the 3 lines near the top that begin with "echo" (remove the '#' character from the beginning of those lines). Then post the output of this command after trying to install an app from the app Catalog:
    cat /tmp/ipkg-called
    Last edited by clipcarl; 10/14/2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thetaman, I was agreeing with you.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    Thanks DrSuSE, you have helped me out a lot! Your previous post helped a lot in diagnosing my problems more.

I have 59MB in Luna which 51MB was email. I can delete my email accounts and add them back.

How do you delete the contents of the directory? What's the command to do this? Will it hurt doing this since I will essentially be adding the accounts back like they were never there before.

Also found 30MB in opt. Is this related to rooting I had done previously before we had wonderful tools like Preware and WOSQI with their tweaks and patches?
    Once you delete your mail accounts in the email app, you can empty that directory by doing this:

Code:
    rm -R /var/luna/data/emails/*
    Alternatively, if you're gun-shy, you could back them up to your USB area instead:

Code:
    mkdir /media/internals/.emailbak
    mv /var/luna/data/emails/* /media/internals/.emailbak/
    Even though it's only 50-ish MB... it will take a little bit on the Pre, so don't fret over the delay.

Edit: As a side note, I also removed the attachments directory before recreating my mail accounts. It seemed to just be full (21MB) of little crappy signature images and random small attachments. I didn't have any effect on my MMS stuff or anything.

Edit2: Regarding the /var/opt stuff, yes. I didn't look to see what is in there specifically, though.
    Last edited by DrSuSE; 10/14/2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Thetaman, I was agreeing with you.
    Sorry wasn't sure. But thanks for clarifying!

Once you delete your mail accounts in the email app, you can empty that directory by doing this:

Code:
    rm -R /var/luna/data/emails/*
    Alternatively, if you're gun-shy, you could back them up to your USB area instead:

Code:
    mkdir /media/internals/.emailbak
    mv /var/luna/data/emails/* /media/internals/.emailbak/
    Even though it's only 50-ish MB... it will take a little bit on the Pre, so don't fret over the delay.
    Thanks for the info and help...will try it now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrymd73 View Post
    I installed the update and now the limit is back on again...I reset Luna, uninstalled Fair Dinkum app and reinstalled and still the limit is back...

Thought you should know... btw thanks!! The first one worked like a charm and I was able to download with no problems!!!!! :-D
    Can you also run the commands in my last post with Fair Dinkum installed? Thanks!
    Thank you so much DrSuSE.

You helped me identify the problem and clean up my data. Now I'm at 41% when I look at dev/mappper/store-var.

I have room to install apps again!

Looks to me like Palm has another issue around how the email data is stored on the Pre...shouldn't be keeping that much data.
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    YOU ARE DA' MAN!

I was going crazy reading all these threads/replies and must have skipped over this one. I was checking and finally got Terminal installed. The line looked like this:

/dev/mappper/store-var 253920 155580 98340 62% /var

So I kept thinking 62% should be able to install more (and YES Fair Dinkum is installed properly) then i foudn your quote in bold, which 98340 < 102400 so that makes sense.

NOW...how do I get rid of the crapware on my Pre is the question. Is there an easy way to delete all the email attachments and crap without deleting all email as I want some of them to remain...they are important.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    That's really interesting. I'm not sure how you would be able to install without Fair Dinkum but not with it. What is the output of the following commands (with Fair Dinkum installed):
    df -h

ls -l /usr/local/bin

ls -l /bin/ipkg*

ls -l /var/usr/palm

mount

echo $PATH

cat /etc/palm-build-info
    Also, edit the /usr/local/bin/ipkg script and uncomment the 3 lines near the top that begin with "echo" (remove the '#' character from the beginning of those lines). Then post the output of this command after trying to install an app from the app Catalog:
    cat /tmp/ipkg-called
    Hi,
    Here is all the first stuff you asked for.. I'm not totally sure how to edit the /usr/local/bin/ipkg script that you asked for lastly..

Thanks,
    I downloaded this app and it still says not enough memory. Any ideas. thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman82 View Post
    I downloaded this app and it still says not enough memory. Any ideas. thank you
    As stated in the thread so far there are two limits the 1st limit this app addresses the 2nd limit based on free space is not so to figure out if you hit that 2nd limit you will need to run the commands detailed in previous posts. Assuming you are familiar with accessing the linux prompt on your pre. Entering df at the prompt will display a report in which how much space is used and how much free space is left in /var. If you can post that report to make sure you aren't hitting the 2nd limit.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I installed Fair Dinkum and I was unable to add any new apps, I then began deleting apps and kept trying to add new apps from the Pre App store with no success. I know I have package manager and Preware installed correctly and have dozens of patches on my phone. I don't have the knowledge to do much more to my phone and all of the talk about looking at the ipkg is out of my league, so I deleted Fair Dinkum and was reserved to my fate of not being able to install new apps. I then tried to install some apps from the Pre store, Weather channel, wooter and shortcovers and was able to install all of them with no errors! Weird, so I install Fair Dinkum and it doesn't work but I delete it and am now somehow able to add more apps.
    Last edited by diddly4; 10/14/2009 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I installed Fair Dinkum and I was unable to add any new apps, I then began deleting apps and kept trying to add new apps from the Pre App store with no success. I know I have package manager and Preware installed correctly and have dozens of patches on my phone. I don't have the knowledge to do much more to my phone and all of the talk about looking at the ipkg is out of my league, so I deleted Fair Dinkum and was reserved to my fate of not being able to install new apps. I then tried to install some apps from the Pre store, Weather channel, wooter and shortcovers and was able to install all of them with no errors! Weird, so I install Fair Dinkum and it doesn't work but I delete it and am now somehow able to add more apps.
    Welcome to the club, no one seems to believe me :P
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    DrewPre,

I doctored my Pre yet again, but have been unable to reproduce your problem.

I will need you to novaterm or ssh into the Pre, and run the following commands to give more debug information while you try to install something which fails while Fair Dinkum is installed and you have less than 102400 blocks free, and then also while you are able to install something after Fair Dinkum is removed and you still have less than 102400 blocks free.

First, you need to run "ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr" and get the process id of the LunaSysMgr process - it's the number in the second column.

Then run "strace -p [process id] -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var" and post the output (replace "[process id]" with the number you got from the ps command.

-- Rod
    Current configuration:

Various apps installed ... as stated before....utils from ipkg-opt like lighttpd, fast-cgi, findutil, grep, etc. Also various webOS apps installed from PreWare and the App Catalog.

Installed Fair Dinkum via webOS QI v2.72 and rebooted.... DF reads

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    203936     49984  80% /var
    I tried to install 'Flixster' v0.9..17 256K.... got message 'Sorry, Not enough memory'

'ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr' yeilded...

Code:
    root      1266     1  7 Oct14 ?        00:58:28 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    So running ... strace -p 1266 -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var ... and attempting to install again... yeilded...

Code:
    stat64("/var/usr/palm/applications", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISGID|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    statfs("/var/usr/palm/applications", {f_type="EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC", f_bsize=4096, f_blocks=63480, f_bfree=12489, f_bavail=12489, f_files=65536, f_ffree=51395, f_fsid={-2092060635, -296447355}, f_namelen=255, f_frsize=4096}) = 0
    stat64("/var/usr/palm/applications", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISGID|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    statfs("/var/usr/palm/applications", {f_type="EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC", f_bsize=4096, f_blocks=63480, f_bfree=12487, f_bavail=12487, f_files=65536, f_ffree=51395, f_fsid={-2092060635, -296447355}, f_namelen=255, f_frsize=4096}) = 0
    read(138, "du: /var/usr/palm/applications/S\255L: No such file or directory\n", 4096) = 62
    statfs("/var/usr/palm/applications", {f_type="EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC", f_bsize=4096, f_blocks=63480, f_bfree=12491, f_bavail=12491, f_files=65536, f_ffree=51397, f_fsid={-2092060635, -296447355}, f_namelen=255, f_frsize=4096}) = 0
    I didn't know how much longer I should let this run... it seemed like it wasn't going to end ... so I ctrl+c to escape the process after attempting to install Flixster 3x with the given error message.

So now, as in my previous post where I eventually successfully installed the Weather Channnel App [I don't like this app as much as AccuWeather], I used mvapp to move various apps to /media/internal.....The size of /var/usr/palm/applications was 54.5MB prior to mvapp and 13.0MB after.

At this point df yeilds...

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    161576     92344  64% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install, Flixster. [Sorry, not enough memory]

I then removed /opt/src/modifications and df yeilded....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    160340     93580  63% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install, Flixster. [Sorry, not enough memory]

So I uninstalled Fair Dinkum, df now reads....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    160328     93592  63% /var

I rebooted.

ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr now yeilds...

Code:
    root      1215     1 29 01:13 ?        00:00:45 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    So now I ran, strace -p 1215 -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var and attempted to install Flixster again... The attached monstrosity is what I got after a successful installation and launching of Flixster.

I then ran, mvapp restoreall....

I re-cloned the Git Repository.../opt/src/modifications

A final DF yeilded...

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    204860     49060  81% /var
    All apps appear to be functioning normally.

I may be misinterpreting the data, but apparently, the installation and subsequent removal of Fair Dinkum appears to be modifying something to allow the App Catalog to install additional apps. It does not appear to be a 'space' issue of the File System.
    Attached Files Attached Files