Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
  1.    #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I was unable to install the Weather Channel App. So I deleted serveral Apps that I rarely used from App Launcher. [Orange+Tap]

I was still unable to install the Weather Channel App.

I installed the Fair Dinkum App installed....my DF line read....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var   253920    199608     54312  79% /var
    I was still unable to install The Weather Channel's app.

I used the Solution: Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals [mvapp], to move numerous apps. /var/usr/palm/applications went from 49.9MB to 13.8MB

My DF line then read

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var  253920    162816     91104  64% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install the The Weather Channel App.

So then I shelled into the Pre and deleted /var/usr/src/modifications [which is /opt/src/modifications and happens to be on the same FS] which had a lot of Patches that I no longer needed.

Fair Dinkum was still installed and DF read:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    158900     95020  63% /var
    So I uninstalled Fair Dinkum, like I read someone else here did and .... DF read:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    158876     95044  63% /var
    I was THEN ABLE TO INSTALL the Weather Channel App.

I then deleted the Weather Channel App. I reinstalled all of the apps that I deleted. Ran mvapp restoreall, and with Fair Dinkum still uninstalled I attempted to reinstall the Weather Channel App and it succeeded!

The Fair Dinkum app appears to not be working.
    Thanks, this is good information. It does appear that Fair Dinkum is not working for you.

Looks like I to need to webOS-Doctor my Pre *yet* again.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    FWIW, I have lighthttpd, fast-cgi, grep, findutil, and a few other ipkg-opt apps installed also.

Also, while I was at it, I went ahead and installed the Birthday App and Get Starbucks app also.....

...mvapps reported /var/usr/palm/applications as follows...

Code:
    Size of /var/usr/palm/applications after move... 
    54.5M   /var/usr/palm/applications
    Originally it was 49.9M....

df reports the following...

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    201660     52260  79% /var
    Last edited by DrewPre; 10/14/2009 at 02:22 AM.
    @DrewPre and others still having problems after installing Fair Dinkum... Please try increasing the size of your /var partition as explained in this post or in this thread. This is pretty advanced so please be careful. You still need Fair Dinkum though. (In fact, everyone that installs homebrew needs Fair Dinkum, and even if you don't you might still need it.)
    Last edited by clipcarl; 10/14/2009 at 03:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Question: Is this the procedure that will disable USB Drive and Media Sync modes? The Linux Virtual File System?

Right now I am not really having problems. I am pretty sure this is NOT a file system space issue. It's an app catalog issue, at least for me. This article, Removing app install limit in App Catalog - WebOS Internals, seems to support this.

As of right now I am able to install whatever I want. If I want something from the App Catalog and the App Catalog tells me I have too little space, then I use the mvapp tool to relocate and symlink all my apps. Install the app that I want from the App Catalog and then mvapp restoreall. and viola the app from the App Catalog is installed.

However, having said that....and being one that will never walk away from a learning experience, I will tarball my media/internal folder and give this a whirl. It's interesting! Very!
  5.    #305  
    The uninstall of Fair Dinkum, clearly modified something to allow me to be able to install the Weather Channel App when before I was unable. The installation of Fair Dinkum clearly was not sufficient enough to allow the installation of more apps. It only frees up 24 blocks when uninstalling. So it is clearly not a space issue.
    DrewPre,

I doctored my Pre yet again, but have been unable to reproduce your problem.

I will need you to novaterm or ssh into the Pre, and run the following commands to give more debug information while you try to install something which fails while Fair Dinkum is installed and you have less than 102400 blocks free, and then also while you are able to install something after Fair Dinkum is removed and you still have less than 102400 blocks free.

First, you need to run "ps -ef | grep LunaSysMgr" and get the process id of the LunaSysMgr process - it's the number in the second column.

Then run "strace -p [process id] -s 1024 2>&1 | grep /var" and post the output (replace "[process id]" with the number you got from the ps command.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    This is frustrating...I can't do some of the detailed analysis that you guys are doing, but I know I deleted over 10MB worth of apps including one app that was over 7MB. I updated 2 of my existing apps because they had updates. Size change was small 200-300k. I then tried to add the Weather Channel app which looks to be around 2MB...and it says I don't have enough memory.

I deleted over 10MB worth of app but can't add a 2MB app?!? Can someone explain that to me?

Palm really needs to fix this issue...or they are going to start heading down the path of an epic fail! Nobody wants a highly advanced phone that has such small app limits.

I do appreciate all the work Rod and everyone at webOS internals does to make the Pre a better functioning phone. I don't know if I would stick with the Pre without them!
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    This is frustrating...I can't do some of the detailed analysis that you guys are doing, but I know I deleted over 10MB worth of apps including one app that was over 7MB. I updated 2 of my existing apps because they had updates. Size change was small 200-300k. I then tried to add the Weather Channel app which looks to be around 2MB...and it says I don't have enough memory.

I deleted over 10MB worth of app but can't add a 2MB app?!? Can someone explain that to me?

Palm really needs to fix this issue...or they are going to start heading down the path of an epic fail! Nobody wants a highly advanced phone that has such small app limits.

I do appreciate all the work Rod and everyone at webOS internals does to make the Pre a better functioning phone. I don't know if I would stick with the Pre without them!
    Install the Terminal app, run "df" and if /var is 60% or more, you're out of space according to Palm. That's the 100MB free space safety net which Fair Dinkum does not touch.

-- Rod

Ditto!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'll try it later tonight.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

This definitely falls under the Keep it simple stupid, rule!

I mean it doens't take detailed analysis to understand this logic.

If I uninstall 10mb of data, why can't I install 2mb of data afterward?

How was I able to get the 10mb of data installed in the first place if there are limits in place?

Was there no limits before I installed the 10mb and somehow after it was installed, limits were implemented that now cannot be turned off even if you uninstall the 10mb of data?

I can definitely see the frustration in that. Very basic concepts that don't require in-depth analysis.
    So from what I have read and seen, the FairDinkum App does well until it reaches the limit of free space. This free space is taken up by not only apps but emails etc too.

So is there a way to (for us end users of course who dont mess with cmd prompts and coding) to delete all the crap leftovers, like purging the system, and delete out emails without deleting them off the system (for example if we delete a gmail email on out pre, does it delete it permanantly off the gmail server? or will it still be there if i look on my PC?).

It seems that the Pre keeps a bunch of older crap files and never deletes them, therefore hogging valuable space, so in short, is there a way for end users to purge this out?
    I had the same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Install the Terminal app, run "df" and if /var is 60% or more, you're out of space according to Palm. That's the 100MB free space safety net which Fair Dinkum does not touch.

-- Rod
    I am at 60% or 101332. How was it that I was able install an app from the app catalog that was over 7 MB? I used to be at 64% before deleting some apps.

Does this have to do with installing apps via app catalog (getting an error) vs installing homebrew via Preware?

Could it be I installed the 7MB app before hitting the limit and then installed homebrew apps via preware later that pushed me over the 60%. Thus deleting the 7MB app catalog app still doesn't move below the 60% which is why I still have a problem?

Would do the following help me? Deleting a bunch of my apps, homebrew and app catalog, and then installing fair dinkum before installing them back?

This definitely falls under the Keep it simple stupid, rule!

I mean it doens't take detailed analysis to understand this logic.

If I uninstall 10mb of data, why can't I install 2mb of data afterward?

How was I able to get the 10mb of data installed in the first place if there are limits in place?

Was there no limits before I installed the 10mb and somehow after it was installed, limits were implemented that now cannot be turned off even if you uninstall the 10mb of data?

I can definitely see the frustration in that. Very basic concepts that don't require in-depth analysis.
    Not sure I'm following your point?
    80596 < 102400, so you're coming up against the free space limit which Fair Dinkum does not try and solve. You need the symlinking or meta-doctor in addition to Fair Dinkum to solve that.

-- Rod
    What do you mean? I only have like 30-40 Apps installed (including the Palm ones). I thought the whole purpose of your App was to give us access to the full 256megs. I don't see how this even helps me if it won't help me now? Seems more like a bug in your app to me. If I can install another App without your software and can't with your software, I don't buy that I need to free up space.. I've heard some people here saying your App has opened up the 256megs for them, and clearly I'm no where even near that limit and unable to do anything with Fair Dainkum.
    Last edited by volcom45; 10/14/2009 at 10:36 AM.
    I entered the following...

du - sk /var/usr/palm/applications/*

I added up the numbers for all the apps (catalog and homebrew) plus all the patches. Total came to 40004

I entered df and got the following for /dev/mapper/store-var 98020 61%

Why is there such a big difference?

Also, uninstalled Fair Dinkum and it let me install The Weather Channel app via App Catalog???
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    @NachoB. Can you remember what email address you were using? I have noticed my gmail to be slower than normal.
    Mmm, I think it was an Exchange email. But I was in the All Inbox view so I could be recalling incorrectly.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I entered the following...

du - sk /var/usr/palm/applications/*

I added up the numbers for all the apps (catalog and homebrew) plus all the patches. Total came to 40004

I entered df and got the following for /dev/mapper/store-var 98020 61%

Why is there such a big difference?

Also, uninstalled Fair Dinkum and it let me install The Weather Channel app via App Catalog???

They're working on figuring out why Fair Dinkum might block an otherwise successful installation. As far as the data size difference, there are more than just apps in /var (emails, optware, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    They're working on figuring out why Fair Dinkum might block an otherwise successful installation. As far as the data size difference, there are more than just apps in /var (emails, optware, etc).
    Thanks, for confirming that...how do I find out what else is in there....and clean it up?
    Can you please check to see whether Fair Dinkum App Limit 0.4.0 changes any of this?

-- Rod
    At the moment, my Pre is acting strangely w/out Fair Dinkum installed. Similar to the issues I saw when Fair Dinkum was installed. So I think I have something else going on completely unrelated to Fair Dinkum and will need to resolve this issue before moving forward.
    Some of the things I'm experiencing:
    I'll pull the Pre off the TouchStone, about 5 seconds later I get the "Charging Battery" notification and then it goes away.
    I launched the email app, it opened to a blank white screen instead of showing me the All Inbox and my emails. Had to close and relaunch the email app.
    Yesterday I received about 3 emails in a row. After reading and in the middle of responding to one (probably 5 minutes after receiving the emails) my Pre gave me 3 separate notifications, which I'm assuming was a delayed response to those emails coming in 5 minutes prior, cuz I received nothing at the time the notifications came.

So I've got some trouble shooting to do with this very strange behavior.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/14/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Thanks, for confirming that...how do I find out what else is in there....and clean it up?
    Just to keep the commands simple, you can do the following:

Code:
    cd /var
    du -mcs *
    That will give you the total size (in MB) of each directory inside /var and then a total of /var itself. Then just keep on going deeper to track stuff down (i.e. your luna directory might be large, so you can (from /var) do cd luna and then re-run that same du command and get a breakout of the luna directory).