Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    I've deleted like 5MB's worth of apps and still cannot add a new app. This is so frustrating!
    What does the new update seem to fix?
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
  3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    What does the new update seem to fix?
    It is intended to fix the unexplained problems that people were having.

It seems there is a buffer overrun error in the code in LunaSysMgr which parses the output of ipkg -o /var list, and this was causing somewhat random calls to 'du' based on what was on the stack.

The new version of the ipkg script returns an empty list (and only does that when LunaSysMgr is the parent process) so avoids this random behaviour of LunaSysMgr.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is intended to fix the unexplained problems that people were having.

It seems there is a buffer overrun error in the code in LunaSysMgr which parses the output of ipkg -o /var list, and this was causing somewhat random calls to 'du' based on what was on the stack.

The new version of the ipkg script returns an empty list (and only does that when LunaSysMgr is the parent process) so avoids this random behaviour of LunaSysMgr.

-- Rod
    Okay cool, so with this service or patch, this still does not fix the app limit? I also need meta doctor as well?
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Okay cool, so with this service or patch, this still does not fix the app limit? I also need meta doctor as well?
    There are two different and completely separate app limits.

#1. There is a completely arbitrary and apparantly useless limit to the number of installed apps.

#2. The app catalog will not allow you to install any apps if you have less than 100MB of free space in /var which is where the apps are installed.

This fixes #1, but you should never attempt to "fix" #2. If you want/need more apps and cannot install any more because of #2, then yes. You will need to resize the partitions on your Pre to create a larger /var, or start moving apps to /media/internal and linking them.
  6.    #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    For the record, I'm not one of those that has ever gotten the app limit message, but I installed Fair Dinkum to avoid it from happening should I ever decide to go app install crazy. For now, it's uninstalled.

I installed Fair Dinkum a second time, monkeyed around in email and messaging (opening and closing emails and messages) and did not notice any lag this time. I installed an app from the app catalog and that didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

I didn't pay attention beforehand, but in messaging, one of my conversations is with someone I have a picture assigned to. The picture placeholder for this person is now blank, not even the silhouette you get for a contact with no assigned picture. I've checked this person via Contacts and their picture is there, and I've checked via Google Contacts on the web and their picture is there. I've checked the Email app and their picture shows up in emails from them. Strange things happen to my Pre each time I install Fair Dinkum. Might be completely unrelated to installing and uninstalling Fair Dinkum, I don't know. These are just strange oddities I've noticed in the past two days since installing/uninstalling Fair Dinkum.
    Can you please check to see whether Fair Dinkum App Limit 0.4.0 changes any of this?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Works great!!!!!!!
    Unfortunately, didn't solve my problem. Have never been able to get this to work even though its installed properly..
  9.    #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Unfortunately, didn't solve my problem. Have never been able to get this to work even though its installed properly..
    Can you give a full recount of your current situation, including the 'df' output ?

-- Rod
    Can you give a full recount of your current situation, including the 'df' output ?

-- Rod
    Gladly, I installed via Preware which I know is installed correctly after having reinstalled it and the package manager like 10 times trying to get this to work on the last version. I even rebooted just to make sure. It still instantly says not enough space from both the App Catalog and the FileCoaster, while I can actually install an App from the App Catalog if I uninstall this Fair Dinkum App Limit app again. Here is the screenshot from my terminal:

Thanks Rod!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I think your app bricked my phone, because when i uninstalled and restarted my pre, all i get is PALM..... smh............
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Gladly, I installed via Preware which I know is installed correctly after having reinstalled it and the package manager like 10 times trying to get this to work on the last version. I even rebooted just to make sure. It still instantly says not enough space from both the App Catalog and the FileCoaster, while I can actually install an App from the App Catalog if I uninstall this Fair Dinkum App Limit app again. Here is the screenshot from my terminal:

Thanks Rod!
    80596 < 102400, so you're coming up against the free space limit which Fair Dinkum does not try and solve. You need the symlinking or meta-doctor in addition to Fair Dinkum to solve that.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    80596 < 102400, so you're coming up against the free space limit which Fair Dinkum does not try and solve. You need the symlinking or meta-doctor in addition to Fair Dinkum to solve that.

-- Rod
    Rod, how big is Fair Dinkum? Volcom45 states that if Fair Dinkum is uninstalled then apps from the app store can be installed. This doesn't seem logical to me...

volcom45
    Gladly, I installed via Preware which I know is installed correctly after having reinstalled it and the package manager like 10 times trying to get this to work on the last version. I even rebooted just to make sure. It still instantly says not enough space from both the App Catalog and the FileCoaster, while I can actually install an App from the App Catalog if I uninstall this Fair Dinkum App Limit app again.
  14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amack34 View Post
    I think your app bricked my phone, because when i uninstalled and restarted my pre, all i get is PALM..... smh............
    If you get PALM, then the phone is not bricked, you can always use the Doctor.

And the app puts a single 20 line shell script in a directory which is otherwise unused by Palm. I highly doubt it is the cause of your problem.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amack34 View Post
    Has it come back yet? I highly doubt that Fair Dinkum can brick a phone. Let alone it is darn near impossible to brick a Pre. There is always Web Doctor.

It is possible that your phone was waiting to install the 1.2.1 update on restart? Or was 1.2.1 already installed?
  16.    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Rod, how big is Fair Dinkum? Volcom45 states that if Fair Dinkum is uninstalled then apps from the app store can be installed. This doesn't seem logical to me...
    It's not - we also need df before and after unintalling Fair Dinkum to be sure.

And 0.4.0 doesn't touch the 'du' command any more.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    im back the doctor brought my pre back to life... lol
    First some info I hope will be helpful and after that I make specific replies.

Here are details of things that take up the most space in my /var. I would like this info to lead to details of what is safe to be deleted. Or at the least gain a better understanding of what is stored. This details where the bulk of used space in my /var. The remaining stuff I didn't list adds up but each thing is quite small compared to these things listed. An observation about email. I checked the folder and IMAP email I deleted appears in here. So it seems that email is not getting cleaned up properly. I have yahoo and gmail IMAP so I'm surprized to see so much left over. I only actually have less than a dozen emails between both accounts the rest were deleted after reading. I can only imagine how much space is used up from those who get emails like having an IM conversation.

Code:
    33.3M /var/opt
    	Maybe reduce by whatever is no longer needed.
    25.3M /var/usr
    	webOS apps
    9.7M /var/luna
    	2.9M /data/stackdump.txt (????)
    	2.7M /data/emails (email messages)
    	1.8M /data/dbdata (PIM data maybe more)
    	932K /files (contact pics)
    	532k /data/browser (images)
    	112k /data/attachments (email MMS? attachments)
    8.6M /var/lib
    	7.8M /palmos (motionapps classic palmOS apps)
    	636k /software (????)
    2.8M /var/palm
    	800k pandora data
    	608K browser cookies
    	260K browser data
    	192K youtube data
    	132K google data
    	108K sprint nav data
    1.3M /var/telenav
    Yes. There's bound to be stuff in there you no longer need. Especially all the quilt dependencies if you have not migrated to quilt-lite.

-- Rod
    Migrated to quit-lite back when it was first changed on the wiki. So I guess I will need someone to go over in detail what is no longer needed in there. Obviously for me it is of no issue right now I'm far from hitting either of the limit thresholds however for others the info may very well mean installing more apps without having to use more than fair dinkum.

Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    /var/log is actually on a separate partition, so cleaning it up won't free up any space for apps.

/var/palm contains two cookie databases... one is for the web browser and I'm assuming the other stores Mojo cookies. The Mojo database is much larger, almost 200k on my Pre.
    My other cookie db is not nearly as large well under 100k. I have updated my info accordingly so that I can help others out as I follow as much of the forum as possible. I think I spend a couple hours a day reading posts. Though I don't read every reply to every thread I do read nearly every OP and then read the replies to the ones I feel important to read either to help if issue not resolved or contains a topic I want to gather more info on. I tend to lag about just shy of a week behind the start date of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Could a few people tell me what the size of their /var/luna/data/attachments and /var/luna/data/emails is?

My attachments directory is 21MB and my emails directory is 51MB. Seems kind of high, considering my 4 email accounts are all IMAP and only sync 1 days worth of email. I was hoping it was safe to delete these directories and allow new ones to be made, but no dice. If I rename one or both of these directories, my email stops functioning (even after reboot) until I rename them back. Between those two directories and other files, /var/luna/data is 80MB which just seems strange given the strict limitations of apps and that partition.

Thoughts/advice welcomed.
    I can only assume you get a large volume of email or at least large volume over time. I hardly get any email at most 2 or 3 emails in one day with most days none. My device emails accounts are used for specific purposes only all other email goes to other addresses not linked to my pre.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Also, I had the Classic PalmOS emulator installed. I, too, have /var/lib/palmos. Any safe way to clean this up?
    You should be able to move the palmOS apps in classic to the virtual SD card (it's located in the media/internals [USB drive portion of memory]). Otherwise nothing in there can be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    Do you have more specifics here? I assume not everything in that directory is from Classic, but it wasn't obvious at first glance what is. I was going to use "find" to look for pdb files, since I put some in Classic, but I can't figure out how to get a backslash from the builtin keyboard.
    Yes there is other stuff in the /var/lib directory however other than /var/lib/software it doesn't appear to be very much. And I have no idea what the stuff in /var/lib/software is.
    Rod your application works great. I seem to keep hitting that 100 MB limitation. I wish there was a way to clean up /var. WebOS doesn't seem to do a good job cleaning up garbage especially e-mail and attachments.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I was unable to install the Weather Channel App. So I deleted serveral Apps that I rarely used from App Launcher. [Orange+Tap]

I was still unable to install the Weather Channel App.

I installed the Fair Dinkum App ....my DF line read....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var   253920    199608     54312  79% /var
    I was still unable to install The Weather Channel's app.

I used the Solution: Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals [mvapp], to move numerous apps. /var/usr/palm/applications went from 49.9MB to 13.8MB

My DF line then read

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var  253920    162816     91104  64% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install the The Weather Channel App.

So then I shelled into the Pre and deleted /var/usr/src/modifications [which is /opt/src/modifications and happens to be on the same FS] which had a lot of Patches that I no longer needed.

Fair Dinkum was still installed and DF read:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    158900     95020  63% /var
    So I uninstalled Fair Dinkum, like I read someone else here did and .... DF read:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var 253920    158876     95044  63% /var
    I was THEN ABLE TO INSTALL the Weather Channel App.

I then deleted the Weather Channel App. I reinstalled all of the apps that I deleted. Ran mvapp restoreall, re-cloned the webos-internals modifications repository [/opt/src/modifications or /var/opt/src/modifications], and with Fair Dinkum still uninstalled I attempted to reinstall the Weather Channel App and it succeeded!

The uninstall of Fair Dinkum, clearly modified something to allow me to be able to install the Weather Channel App when before I was unable. The installation of Fair Dinkum clearly was not sufficient enough to allow the installation of more apps. It only frees up 24 blocks when uninstalling. So it is clearly not a space issue.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 10/14/2009 at 01:24 AM.