Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Are you noticing the lag when the email has graphics embedded? I have notice this also. My email is still snappy when the email I am opening up is just plain text. I'm not sure if it has to do with the Fair Dinkum app. I have been getting this for a couple of days now. I think it might be the email app itself. But I could be wrong.
    I didn't pay enough attention at the time and don't remember, but I don't think it it was an email with graphics. I typically expect that behavior with an email I know will lag, like promotional emails from TigerDirect. I think the ones I was messing with were just text.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  2.    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Ok so now that i hit the free space limit, any fixes?
    Yes, but none have been packaged up for end-user simple use yet.

See my post #205 in this thread.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    Hey Rod, I just wanted to let you know that I was hitting the 102400 limit as well -- once I use mvapp to get below the magic number I'm okay. Sorry I didn't have as much time to dig into this yesterday, but I'm glad folks have chipped in to help you found the root cause. Thanks so much for all of your work!
    Thanks for your help in debugging the problem. It's good to see our two groups can co-operate well

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  4.    #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    For the record, I'm not one of those that has ever gotten the app limit message, but I installed Fair Dinkum to avoid it from happening should I ever decide to go app install crazy. For now, it's uninstalled.

I installed Fair Dinkum a second time, monkeyed around in email and messaging (opening and closing emails and messages) and did not notice any lag this time. I installed an app from the app catalog and that didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

I didn't pay attention beforehand, but in messaging, one of my conversations is with someone I have a picture assigned to. The picture placeholder for this person is now blank, not even the silhouette you get for a contact with no assigned picture. I've checked this person via Contacts and their picture is there, and I've checked via Google Contacts on the web and their picture is there. I've checked the Email app and their picture shows up in emails from them. Strange things happen to my Pre each time I install Fair Dinkum. Might be completely unrelated to installing and uninstalling Fair Dinkum, I don't know. These are just strange oddities I've noticed in the past two days since installing/uninstalling Fair Dinkum.
    Please don't let us forget about this. Whilst I cannot even theorise why this could be caused by Fair Dinkum, you seem to have a good pattern of observation going there which we do not want to ignore.

-- Rod
  5.    #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by vicini View Post
    I still can't find it in preware. I have updated the feeds, searched under list everything, reset pre, opened/closed preware. Any ideas? Was it taken down? Is there another place I can find it?
    You need to uninstall and then reinstall the Package Manager Service, and your installation of it is probably incorrect.

-- Rod
  6.    #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsdad View Post
    I was unable to install additional apps, so I installed FD.

With FD installed, I was still unable to install additional apps. I guess the reason is that my /var was less than 100MB. I tried to get to > 100MB by deleting some Apps and moving some others with mvapp. I was still unable to free enough space.

I did however free enough space so that /var was below 70% full.

So, I uninstalled FD. and tried to install the apps. from the catalog and was successful.

It's weird that this would work.
    One theory is that if you have less than 64MB of apps installed, then it doesn't bother doing the free space check. Can you test that theory for us?

-- Rod
    not working for app catolog cant download the weather channel
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    One theory is that if you have less than 64MB of apps installed, then it doesn't bother doing the free space check. Can you test that theory for us?

-- Rod
    Do you think that could possibly be why several of us installed this and instantly got the no space error when we did still have space before the patch? I'd be happy to test that theory, so just install Apps now until I run out of space, then try your patch out again?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I didn't pay enough attention at the time and don't remember, but I don't think it it was an email with graphics. I typically expect that behavior with an email I know will lag, like promotional emails from TigerDirect. I think the ones I was messing with were just text.
    @NachoB. Can you remember what email address you were using? I have noticed my gmail to be slower than normal.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    BIG help!!
    Thanks!!!
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    Ok, here's mine.. Something look wrong?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Ok, here's mine.. Something look wrong?
    You clearly have less free space than 102400 with only 81260 blocks available. You will either need to remove apps, or move them to the /media using XORG's MVAPP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    You clearly have less free space than 102400 with only 81260 blocks available. You will either need to remove apps, or move them to the /media using XORG's MVAPP.
    Then why is it if I uninstall this, I can download more Apps from the catalog just fine and I'm not out of space? I'm so lost..
  14.    #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Then why is it if I uninstall this, I can download more Apps from the catalog just fine and I'm not out of space? I'm so lost..
    That is the unanswered question at the moment.

A new mystery. Looks like I'll be webOS Doctoring my Pre again ...

We need someone to do the strace in both cases so we can compare them.

-- Rod
    That is the unanswered question at the moment.

A new mystery. Looks like I'll be webOS Doctoring my Pre again ...

We need someone to do the strace in both cases so we can compare them.

-- Rod
    Cool, thanks alot Rod!
    I actually also solved this problem in a similar way yesterday, but you posted before me! However, my approach has the advantage that it doesn't modify the output of ipkg and du outside of their invocation by LunaSysMgr. In fact, with my ipkg wrapper the way it is nothing needs to be done to the du command at all because ipkg returns an empty list to LunaSysMgr. However, you could still return the result of the "list_installed" ipkg command if you want and still modify du but I don't recommend it. The free blocks check is still done and still reserves enough space to make sure no apps fail to install (unless it is a truly gargantuan app the likes of which we have not yet seen). Also, this completely eliminates the delay instead of just shortening it. Here is my ipkg wrapper:

#!/bin/sh

PARENT=$(ps -o comm --no-heading -p $PPID)

#echo >> /tmp/ipkg-called
    #echo "CMDLINE: $*" >> /tmp/ipkg-called
    #echo "PARENT: $PARENT[$PPID]" >> /tmp/ipkg-called

if [ "$PARENT" = "LunaSysMgr" -a "$*" = "-o /var list" ]
    then
    # This is not necessary
    #exec /usr/bin/ipkg -o /var list_installed

# just do nothing instead
    exit
    else
    exec /usr/bin/ipkg "$@"
    fi
    -Carl

PS: Note that contrary to previous reports the amount of space used in the root partition makes absolutely no difference.
  17.    #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I actually also solved this problem in a similar way yesterday, but you posted before me! However, my approach has the advantage that it doesn't modify the output of ipkg and du outside of their invocation by LunaSysMgr. In fact, with my ipkg wrapper the way it is nothing needs to be done to the du command at all because ipkg returns an empty list to LunaSysMgr. However, you could still return the result of the "list_installed" ipkg command if you want and still modify du but I don't recommend it. The free blocks check is still done and still reserves enough space to make sure no apps fail to install (unless it is a truly gargantuan app the likes of which we have not yet seen). Also, this completely eliminates the delay instead of just shortening it. Here is my ipkg wrapper:

#!/bin/sh

PARENT=$(ps -o comm --no-heading -p $PPID)

#echo >> /tmp/ipkg-called
    #echo "CMDLINE: $*" >> /tmp/ipkg-called
    #echo "PARENT: $PARENT[$PPID]" >> /tmp/ipkg-called

if [ "$PARENT" = "LunaSysMgr" -a "$*" = "-o /var list" ]
    then
    # This is not necessary
    #exec /usr/bin/ipkg -o /var list_installed

# just do nothing instead
    exit
    else
    exec /usr/bin/ipkg "$@"
    fi
    -Carl

PS: Note that contrary to previous reports the amount of space used in the root partition makes absolutely no difference.
    Hi Carl,

I've sent you a PM, but would like everyone else to know that I wish to work with you and improve Fair Dinkum with your great ideas (and of course give full credit to everyone involved).

-- Rod
  18.    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I actually also solved this problem in a similar way yesterday, but you posted before me! However, my approach has the advantage that it doesn't modify the output of ipkg and du outside of their invocation by LunaSysMgr. In fact, with my ipkg wrapper the way it is nothing needs to be done to the du command at all because ipkg returns an empty list to LunaSysMgr. However, you could still return the result of the "list_installed" ipkg command if you want and still modify du but I don't recommend it. The free blocks check is still done and still reserves enough space to make sure no apps fail to install (unless it is a truly gargantuan app the likes of which we have not yet seen). Also, this completely eliminates the delay instead of just shortening it.
    Carl,

Does returning an empty list from ipkg affect anything else? Like the Updates application, or anything else in webOS which needs to know the list of installed apps? I haven't tested that myself, if it is isolated well enough I agree that will be a better solution.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Are you saying if I have less than 64 MB of apps. FD will interfere with app install?

if this is the case then I can test by reinstalling FD and see if app install fails, but I am not sure how valid the test would be since I found that my old emails weren't being erased so I reset my email accounts and manually erased the emails off of my Pre. I now have plenty of space in /var.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I ran this and it does not work. I have the latest preware and tried to install 2x which it did but i still get memory error any suggestions? am i doing something wrong? It would be great to be able to use app store. Thank-you