Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    I installed it and was able to install more apps from the app store without a problem! You guys are the bomb! Will definitley be donating!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    It's not that we are not following directions, The Fair Dinkum is NOT showing up in the program. I have updated the feeds many times, Uninstalled - reinstalled twice, Still nothing(?)
    Nah, my prob is the same as several other who have installed everything properly but are still getting the script error "Sorry, not enough memory".
    I was so excited about this. However after a couple of successful installs, I again received the error message. I tried to delete and reinstal the same App and it is the same. No memory. So now I am afraid to delet the Apps I have for fear of not being able to reinstall. I can't even update existing Apps. Palm needs this fix yesterday if the have any wish to make money from the catalog.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    Thanks for the step by step to check the terminal results. Here is my VAR line:

/dev/mapper/store-var 253920 162468 91452 64% /var

If I read this right (91452 < 102400), I'm up against the app limit, therefore S.O.L. unless I want to Root my Pre and manually move files around, correct?
    I have the same problem. I'm at 90320 which is less than 102400.

How can I find out what apps are giving me problems (i.e. taking up so much space)?

I only have 19 apps from catalog and 17 homebrew. I hear people that have over 70 apps....so I don't feel like I have that many.

I too can't update apps or install new ones.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    /var/lib contains all sorts of stuff related to classic. The bulk of it being palmOS apps installed for use in classic. I no longer use classic so I will be freeing up most of that space as a result of manually removing the directory that was not removed after removing classic. Looks like a company I used for palmOS needs to step up and make their apps for webOS to clean garbage left behind from apps we uninstall. I can't believe companies don't remove everything GRR.
    Do you have more specifics here? I assume not everything in that directory is from Classic, but it wasn't obvious at first glance what is. I was going to use "find" to look for pdb files, since I put some in Classic, but I can't figure out how to get a backslash from the builtin keyboard.

Thanks to Rod BTW for confirming that the terminal app really is the most expedient way to get shell access to the Pre. I'm quite comfortable in linux, having worked many years with IRIX and older BSD-based systems, and a little more recently in linux.

My df output shows that using Fair Dinkum would get me back about 20Mb for more apps, and more if I can get some other stuff cleaned up, like the classic files you mention.

Thanks!
    -- robert
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    FWIW to those working on debugging this, and based on the above statement, when I had Fair Dinkum installed I noticed quite a bit of lag in both the email app when opening up an email (10 seconds at times to fully open an email) and in the messaging app when attempting to view a conversation. Uninstalled Fair Dinkum and both appear to be functioning normally again, no unexpected delays or behavior.
    Are you noticing the lag when the email has graphics embedded? I have notice this also. My email is still snappy when the email I am opening up is just plain text. I'm not sure if it has to do with the Fair Dinkum app. I have been getting this for a couple of days now. I think it might be the email app itself. But I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    terminal DF says I am at 89120,
    89120 is less than 102400

If you have any of those stupid pichunt games installed, delete them ASAP. Those puppies are 5000 each.

You just need to go through the app catalog / preware and see which ones are the space hogs. I have over 80 apps installed and I' still at 150000. I just avoid the big ones.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I too had installed this in hopes of downloading apps from the Palm Catalog. While I could install Fair Dinkum, I still ran into the memory error even though I had only 53 installed apps. Noting that it was mentioned that emails and attachments were stored there as well and while I kept my inboxes clean, I had hundreds of emails in my sent folder. Once I deleted them all, I could download apps from the Catalog.

Slightly off topic. The reason I kept all the sent emails was to keep a record of them. On my 755p, I used a 3rd party email app that I could set up to automatically BCC myself so that the sent emails would be backed up in Outlook on my computer. I know I can manually bcc myself with the Pre email software but my old brain forgets too often. Have I somehow missed a patch that allows for this?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    I have the same problem. I'm at 90320 which is less than 102400.

How can I find out what apps are giving me problems (i.e. taking up so much space)?

I only have 19 apps from catalog and 17 homebrew. I hear people that have over 70 apps....so I don't feel like I have that many.

I too can't update apps or install new ones.
    All apps are definitely not created equal. Here's what I did in the Terminal app to see which apps were the largest (my experience with du is on older systems, so someone here may be able to suggest better options):

du -sk /var/usr/palm/applications/*

It reports a size for each subdirectory of that directory, each of which represents an app.

Before the size limit issue was an issue for me, I didn't pay that much attention to app sizes before downloading. I looked at the output above and discovered that the "wikihow" app, which I downloaded but had yet to actually use, was taking up 8 freakin' Mb! I'm sure I can Google from the browser if I really need how-to info that bad. Evernote is also pretty large, but I do use that, and i think it caches info for offline mode, so not all of it is the app. Some games are also pretty big, like "Dead Man". Anyway, bottom line, some of these apps take up as much space as any 20-30 smaller utility apps combined, so it all depends on what type of applications you tend towards.

After getting rid of wikihow, I don't think I'll even need Fair Dinkum for a while, but it's a great idea, and I've learned quite a bit from reading this thread!

Thanks,
    -- robert
    I still can't find it in preware. I have updated the feeds, searched under list everything, reset pre, opened/closed preware. Any ideas? Was it taken down? Is there another place I can find it?

I've tried using this and I can't get it to return anything except for the first app?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I was unable to install additional apps, so I installed FD.

With FD installed, I was still unable to install additional apps. I guess the reason is that my /var was less than 100MB. I tried to get to > 100MB by deleting some Apps and moving some others with mvapp. I was still unable to free enough space.

I did however free enough space so that /var was below 70% full.

So, I uninstalled FD. and tried to install the apps. from the catalog and was successful.

It's weird that this would work.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post

I've tried using this and I can't get it to return anything except for the first app?
    Hmm, I just tried it again on my Pre to be sure, and I got what I expected -- a line for each app. Are you sure you're getting the '*' at the end? If not, it would just report total usage for the whole directory. Actually, wait, do you have Fair Dinkum installed? If so, it's probably finding its du wrapper, which may not process the argument the same way. Try explicitly running /usr/bin/du with the same argument.

-- robert
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    It's so silly that we scramble over 5MB here, 10MB there... etc.

Aaaaanyway, I regained 72MB of space by removing all of my email accounts, deleting the "emails" and "attachments" directories in /var/luna/data, recreating new empty ones. Then re-adding my email accounts. Seemed like it had a bunch of old stuff in there, maybe a bug in a previous webOS version because now it seems to be deleting data properly for my accounts (all IMAP).
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I've run into an interesting issue today. First off, I have updated everything Package Manager and PreWare). After updating I was able to successfully reapply all of the tweaks that I had prior to the update. Additionally, I added the 5x4 tweak which also worked flawlessly. Lastly, I installed the Fair Dinkum App Limit app without issue.

Today, I decided that the 5x4 tweak was a little to cluttered for me and I wanted to switch to the 4x4. I removed the 5x4 and then restarted Luna which successfully removed the 5x4 tweak.

I then went to PreWare and installed the 4x4 tweak. It showed that it installed successfully and disappeared from the Available Packages list and showed up under my Installed Packages list. I then restarted Luna. When I went to check the pages it was still back at the default 3x3. I went into PreWare and the 4x4 tweak was no longer in my Installed Packages list and was back in the Available Packages list.

I also tried to install an actual application (Pack 'n' Track). I got the same results as the 4x4 tweak. It initially showed as successfully installed and disappeared from the Available Packages list and showed up in my Installed Packages list. I did not see the app on my launcher pages so I restarted Luna. Still nothing in the launcher pages and it was back in the Available Packages list and removed from my Installed Packages list.

I tried completely restarting the phone and trying again but was met with identical results.

P.S. - All of the tweaks that I reinstalled after updating Package Manager and PreWare yesterday are all still present and working.

Ultimately, I found the issue (although I don't know what the technical reasons for it are). Today, after posting the above post I decided to uninstall Fair Dinkum App Limit and see if that might be causing my issues and sure enough it was.

After uninstalling that app I was able to successfully install the 4x4 tweak as well as the Pack 'n' Track application.

Additionally, this also kept me from installing an official App Catalog app as well and I have plenty of space left to install apps. Once I removed Fair Dinkum App Limit I was able to successfully download the official App Catalog app as well.

Thought I'd list this out here and see if anyone has any idea why the Fair Dinkum App Limit app might have caused the above results.

TIA
    Last edited by blaidan; 10/13/2009 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    Hmm, I just tried it again on my Pre to be sure, and I got what I expected -- a line for each app. Are you sure you're getting the '*' at the end? If not, it would just report total usage for the whole directory. Actually, wait, do you have Fair Dinkum installed? If so, it's probably finding its du wrapper, which may not process the argument the same way. Try explicitly running /usr/bin/du with the same argument.

-- robert
    I uninstalled Fair Dinkum and was able to get it to display correctly. Now I guess I need to get rid of big apps.

Would be nice if Palm would just fix the darn issue so I didn't have to do all this work to apply apps. It's ridiculous!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    Actually, wait, do you have Fair Dinkum installed? If so, it's probably finding its du wrapper, which may not process the argument the same way. Try explicitly running /usr/bin/du with the same argument.
    That works. Thanks Robert!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    emails and attachments were stored there as well and while I kept my inboxes clean, I had hundreds of emails in my sent folder. Once I deleted them all, I could download apps from the Catalog.
    ?
    I didn't realize how many emails were stored on my Pre from my various accounts. I probably deleted 400+ emails from my Trash & Sent Folders in an attempt to clear room and then did a reset. The final result was that I went from 91452 (64%) to 95632 (62%) in that whole process. Not the results I was looking for after that much cleanup.

I then went App by App in PreWare and deleted some of the Memory Pigs (over 1MB each), still to no avail. Final memory result was 99664 (61%)

I then deleted Fair Dinkum and reset like some others have done with some success. That did work for The Card Ace: Hold Em App (5000K) that caused my "Lack of Memory" consternation in the first place. I was able to download it and a couple of other apps.

To date I have 60 Installed Packages total, only 40 of which are Applications. (None of these are gross offenders line Picture match apps.) The rest are just patches and tweaks. I should be able to expect more capacity from my 8GB phone!
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Yes that only fixed my problem temporarily. After I downloaded a couple of apps from the Catalog, I again got the memory failure. Which sucks because soon there are going to be paid apps that I want but have nowhere to put them unless I delete a lot of Homebrews first then reload them. What a pain!
    Yes, the situation has not been resolved as easily as we would have all hoped it would.

We shouldn't be stressing over this...Palm should be fixing ASAP as a top priority because it has affect on their bottom line...and that's not good.