Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I even uninstalled Accuweather and still can't add the weather channel app.
    I'll admit to being a bit confused. I've used mvapp to move a fair number of large apps out of /var, and have installed Fair Dinkum, but it's showing 102836 free, just barely over the "legal limit." That said, this morning, *before* I moved anything via mvapp, I had Fair Dinkum installed, could not install anything from the App Catalog because of insufficient space, deleted Fair Dinkum, and then I had no problem installing multiple large apps from the App Catalog.

I apologize to Rod for what are probably basic questions but:

How do Fair Dinkum and the symbolic link method of mvapp interact?
    Should the df lines ending in /opt and /var be identical, as they are when I type df?

Thanks. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Prof. J:

/opt and /var are mounted on the same mapper volume, so they will show the same stats. /opt 'physically' resides on /var/opt/.

Fair Dinkum puts two wrapper scripts into root's path -- 'du' and 'ipkg'. mvapp uses the system 'du' to work -- so if you've installed Fair Dinkum make sure you're using a version of mvapp that was updated yesterday.

mvapp itself moves applications out of /var and puts them on /media/internal. It then creates a link on /var (links take up effectively 0 space) pointing to the relocated app.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    If you have FairDinkum installed you can still get these answers -- just explicitly refer to the path of the real 'du' command.

Code:
    /usr/bin/du -mcs /var/luna/data
    /usr/bin/du -mcs /var/luna/data/attachments
    /usr/bin/du -mcs /var/luna/data/emails
    This fix has resurrected my love for my Pre. You guys rock!!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    This freakin AWESOME! Let the downloading begin
    k I have Fair Dinkum installed and everything worked fine yesterday. I went to install the new free apps from yesterday and BOOM...Sorry, Not Enough Memory ERROR. DOH!!!

I am not sure how to get to where I can tell the if I have reached the install free space limit. Is there a way to see that one the phone itself as I am not next to my computer at home yet? I tried looking at the Internalz app but it gave me the error of "ca.canucksoftware.filemgr" is not running. I have the filemanager service on the pre and everything is updated.

Guess I am a bit lost...can someone help set me straight?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If you've used mvapp symbolic link method recently, be sure to upgrade to the latest script. Dinkum breaks it and there is now a fix.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

This method will allow you to lower /var space, using much much less space if you move most of your apps. The new version is also much cleaner - won't move apps that FAT filesystem can't handle.

A webOS app is in the works that uses this script but I don't know when it will be ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    this is what i have:

/dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 125276 128644 49% /var
    and i still can install apps from the catalog
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I hate "me too!" posts, but I have no choice but to put one. I'm having the same issues. Can't install Weather Channel, get the out of space message.

Had WebOS Quick Install installed already, so jumped into that, did the required installs for Package Manager and Preware. Ran Preware on my phone, installed Fair Dinkum....rebooted my phone....still get out of space message.

Uninstalled 4 or 5 seldom used apps...rebooted Pre....still cannot install Weather Channel app. Checked through PreWare and confirms Fair Dinkum installed.

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Ok so now that i hit the free space limit, any fixes?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Thanks. Without fairdinkum:

Code:
    du -mcs /var/luna/data
    du -mcs /var/luna/data/attachments
    du -mcs /var/luna/data/emails
    That'll give you the size of the whole data directory, and of the attachments and emails directories within.
    Not sure I'm receiving back what I should be (without Fair Dinkum installed)..

for /var/luna/data the response is 8 total
    for /var/luna/data/attachments the response is 2 total
    for /var/luna/data/emails the response is 4 total.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Ok so now that i hit the free space limit, any fixes?
    Check out this thread to increase the space limit.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ta-doctor.html
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    Thanks for the step by step to check the terminal results. Here is my VAR line:

/dev/mapper/store-var 253920 162468 91452 64% /var

If I read this right (91452 < 102400), I'm up against the app limit, therefore S.O.L. unless I want to Root my Pre and manually move files around, correct?
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hey Rod, I just wanted to let you know that I was hitting the 102400 limit as well -- once I use mvapp to get below the magic number I'm okay. Sorry I didn't have as much time to dig into this yesterday, but I'm glad folks have chipped in to help you found the root cause. Thanks so much for all of your work!
    Do you have a fully repeatable test case for this? It sounds quite counter-intuitive ...

If you can repeat it, we will definitely want to debug it.

-- Rod
    For the record, I'm not one of those that has ever gotten the app limit message, but I installed Fair Dinkum to avoid it from happening should I ever decide to go app install crazy. For now, it's uninstalled.

I installed Fair Dinkum a second time, monkeyed around in email and messaging (opening and closing emails and messages) and did not notice any lag this time. I installed an app from the app catalog and that didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

I didn't pay attention beforehand, but in messaging, one of my conversations is with someone I have a picture assigned to. The picture placeholder for this person is now blank, not even the silhouette you get for a contact with no assigned picture. I've checked this person via Contacts and their picture is there, and I've checked via Google Contacts on the web and their picture is there. I've checked the Email app and their picture shows up in emails from them. Strange things happen to my Pre each time I install Fair Dinkum. Might be completely unrelated to installing and uninstalling Fair Dinkum, I don't know. These are just strange oddities I've noticed in the past two days since installing/uninstalling Fair Dinkum.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/13/2009 at 10:09 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Palm owes you BIG TIME! Thanks
    For the people having problems installing WebOS Quick Install or Preware or Fair Dinkum, I'm going to let the other thousands of people who have those things installed properly help you out with that. 90% of problems are simply people not following the instructions, so that level of support needs to fan out into the community. I usually just ignore posts from people who have not even tried to follow the instructions - it's harsh, but I have to do it otherwise I would not have any spare time to actually do development.

For the people who have installed Fair Dinkum correctly, and can show the output of the linux command-line commands they have run to prove that, I will be very happy to work with you in real-time in the IRC channel. I'm assuming that you know how to get to the IRC channel.

For the people who are sending code to improve the du script to make it safer, you guys get top priority in the IRC channel. Let's together make it as safe as we can. That's why it is released as open source, so that many minds can work together to improve it. Anyone who helps improve the wrappers will get credit in the first post of this thread, and in copyright notices that I need to add to the wrappers.

Right now, it's time in Australia to go to the office and earn the living to feed the family ...

-- Rod
    I've been modding smartphones for ten years now and have followed your directions to a T now, Rod. Perhaps this is a one off similar to some Pre's having the ability to run Yahoo instant messenger.

I'm running with the very latest version of Preware and everything else. No luck.

Oh well. Not meant for me. Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LVRealtor View Post
    MJ, on the first page of Preware you are selecting "List of Everything" at the bottom? Then scroll down about 9 apps (will change as new apps are added) or start typing "Fair." If still not there, I'm out of suggestions.

LV, thanks for not ignoring me. I don't have anymore time to devote. Thanks for the help! I'm confident Palm will address this in the next update, else they shoot themselves in the foot.
    Post change from "SHOW EMAIL" set to "All" to "1 month" I have this:

Code:
    82    /var/luna/data/
    17    /var/luna/data/attachments/
    51    /var/luna/data/emails/
    I am not sure how to tell if everything got cleaned up correctly.

Also, I had the Classic PalmOS emulator installed. I, too, have /var/lib/palmos. Any safe way to clean this up?
    Have FD installed. I just removed 6 of my HB apps and I still cannot update my Classic program or install the new Weather Channel app. I still get not enough memory errors. terminal DF says I am at 89120, it was about that before my 6 app removal! ***!!

I am serious when I say that this has to be the Pre's largest problem right now.
    if re-sizing /var is so damn easy why doesn't Palm just DO IT!!!!

Maybe all of us here should create a petition and send it to Palm. Maybe if they get a large list of complaints they will finally do something.

Sorry I am just frustrated at Palm right now......

I wish there was an application that would act like PowerRun used to on PalmOS. Keep files on the USB accessible side and copy the program into /var as needed, then delete when done.
    Last edited by Paladin; 10/13/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!