Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    /var/log As long as this directory is kept clean it probably is not an issue waiting to happen but if it isn't it has the potential to be a wasteland of garbage eating up space.

/var/palm Contains databases for apps. Also contains browser cookies. Which has the potential to get pretty big if you visit a lot of pages. Cookies takes up half the space for that folder on mine.
    /var/log is actually on a separate partition, so cleaning it up won't free up any space for apps.

/var/palm contains two cookie databases... one is for the web browser and I'm assuming the other stores Mojo cookies. The Mojo database is much larger, almost 200k on my Pre.
    I don't have a Pre yet, but supposedly this app doesn't really solve the partitioning problem.

What's wrong with you guys just using the other super simple solution??

mv /var /media/.var
    mkdir /var
    ln -s /media/.var /var

Three commands and then you open yourself up to like 6 or 7 GB of space... not just 270 MB or whatever the /var partition is set at.
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I don't have a Pre yet, but supposedly this app doesn't really solve the partitioning problem.

What's wrong with you guys just using the other super simple solution??

mv /var /media/.var
    mkdir /var
    ln -s /media/.var /var

Three commands and then you open yourself up to like 6 or 7 GB of space... not just 270 MB or whatever the /var partition is set at.
    Without Fair Dinkum, you would still be limited to 64MB, no matter how big the partition is.

Presuming you mean /media/internal (since /media itself is actually part of the / partition, and you *really* don't want to fill that, and it's not writeable by default), it's FAT32, not ext3, so permissions and more importantly symlinks don't work (and some advanced homebrew uses symlinks).

If you just want to symlink individual basic homebrew applications, there is a whole other thread for that, and it can be used in conjunction with Fair Dinkum quite nicely, as can using the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to reflash with a 2GB /var partition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks to Jack87 coming to the IRC channel and being available to debug on the Linux command line, we've determined that there is a second level of safety in LunaSysMgr which stops installations when /var gets more than 60% full (for the default /var size).

Next step is to determine whether the free space limit is a fixed percentage, or a fixed number of KBs free.

I'll need to webOS Doctor my Pre yet again (this time to get my 2GB /var partition back) to test that one out ...
    The secondary limit is 102400 blocks free.

So, in summary, the default Palm application installation limits are:

1) At most 64MiB installed applications
    2) At least 100MiB free space in /var

Fair Dinkum fixes #1. Symlinking or WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor fixes #2.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.

-- Rod
    Fix for number #2 can be found:

Symlink
    Symlink Applications - WebOS Internals <-- easier for me but all images will be seen in pic app no instructions for creating hidden dir are given.
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals <--probably better solution.

Meta-Doctor
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ta-doctor.html
    Last edited by jack87; 10/13/2009 at 03:36 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack

-- Rod
    And just for the record, you really wouldn't want to "fix" #2. Even if you went through increasing the partition size for /var (which I'm seriously considering) you'd still want to keep a certain amount of free space for any data that applications might save in /var

Also, one more time, you guys rock.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    And just for the record, you really wouldn't want to "fix" #2. Even if you went through increasing the partition size for /var (which I'm seriously considering) you'd still want to keep a certain amount of free space for any data that applications might save in /var
    Agreed. Palm chose 100MiB for a reason. I didn't respect the 64MiB max limit (as I could see no rational reason for it), but I definitely respect the 100MiB free space limit. Hence, I've increased the size of /var on my Pre to 2GiB.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

Also, one more time, you guys rock.
    very good point. the two solutions listed dont 'fix' #2 the 100mb free space limit still remains. Symlink options helps you differ a lot of storage to media file system allowing you to remain with more then 100mb free space and the meta-dr much more risky if you ask me but a great option none the less increases your var partition to 2gigs so you have 1,900mb of install space for apps
    MatterOfFactJack
  9.    #209  
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    Now for all the people who believe they have Fair Dinkum App Limit installed properly, but still cannot install applications, you should do the following:

1) Use Preware 0.9.4 to install the Terminal application. If you can't find the Terminal application, then your Package Manager Service installation is broken, and you need to uninstall it then reinstall it.

2) Run the terminal application.

3) Put on your highest power reading glasses.

4) Type "df" and then hit the return key.

5) Check the line which has /var at the end. If the number immediately before the percentage is less than 102400, then you have reached the free space limit.
    terminal_2009-13-10_024802.jpg

If there is anyone left who has installed Fair Dinkum App Limit correctly, and has more than 102400 blocks free in /var, and *still* can't install applications, please speak up and we will deal with your situation next

-- Rod
    screen shot for step number 5 as you can see mine has reached the limit
    terminal_2009-13-10_024802.jpg
    Last edited by jack87; 10/13/2009 at 03:52 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have Fair Dinkum App installed....my DF line reads....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var   253920    199608     54312  79% /var
    I am unable to install The Weather Channel's app.

I used the Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals to move numerous apps. /var/usr/palm/applications went from 49.9MB to 13.8MB

My DF line now reads

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var  253920    162816     91104  64% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install the The Weather Channel App.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 10/13/2009 at 05:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    OK, the plot thickens... I logged into my Pre and snooped around /var. I noticed all of my e-mails and attachments are here.
    FWIW to those working on debugging this, and based on the above statement, when I had Fair Dinkum installed I noticed quite a bit of lag in both the email app when opening up an email (10 seconds at times to fully open an email) and in the messaging app when attempting to view a conversation. Uninstalled Fair Dinkum and both appear to be functioning normally again, no unexpected delays or behavior.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  13.    #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I have Fair Dinkum App installed....my DF line reads....

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var   253920    199608     54312  79% /var
    I am unable to install The Weather Channel's app.

I used the Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals to move numerous apps. /var/usr/palm/applications went from 49.9MB to 13.8MB

My DF line now reads

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-var  253920    162816     91104  64% /var
    Fair Dinkum is still installed and I still cannot install the The Weather Channel App.
    That's because the number before the percentage (91104) is less than 102400, so you are hitting the free space limit.

-- Rod
  14.    #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    FWIW to those working on debugging this, and based on the above statement, when I had Fair Dinkum installed I noticed quite a bit of lag in both the email app when opening up an email (10 seconds at times to fully open an email) and in the messaging app when attempting to view a conversation. Uninstalled Fair Dinkum and both appear to be functioning normally again, no unexpected delays or behavior.
    Do you have a fully repeatable test case for this? It sounds quite counter-intuitive ...

If you can repeat it, we will definitely want to debug it.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I experienced significant delays launching apps with Fair Dinkum installed as well. Uninstalled Fair Dinkum, but still can't install an app from the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Could a few people tell me what the size of their /var/luna/data/attachments and /var/luna/data/emails is?

My attachments directory is 21MB and my emails directory is 51MB. Seems kind of high, considering my 4 email accounts are all IMAP and only sync 1 days worth of email. I was hoping it was safe to delete these directories and allow new ones to be made, but no dice. If I rename one or both of these directories, my email stops functioning (even after reboot) until I rename them back. Between those two directories and other files, /var/luna/data is 80MB which just seems strange given the strict limitations of apps and that partition.

Thoughts/advice welcomed.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You rock!!!!!!
    Wow! I was going to use 'fair dinkum' in an app I was busy writing - drats...
    P2Labs :: finger on the pulse...
    P2Labs.com | Twitter | P2Snippets | P2Wardrobe
    Do you have a fully repeatable test case for this? It sounds quite counter-intuitive ...

If you can repeat it, we will definitely want to debug it.

-- Rod
    I'll reinstall Fair Dinkum and see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Could a few people tell me what the size of their /var/luna/data/attachments and /var/luna/data/emails is?

My attachments directory is 21MB and my emails directory is 51MB. Seems kind of high, considering my 4 email accounts are all IMAP and only sync 1 days worth of email. I was hoping it was safe to delete these directories and allow new ones to be made, but no dice. If I rename one or both of these directories, my email stops functioning (even after reboot) until I rename them back. Between those two directories and other files, /var/luna/data is 80MB which just seems strange given the strict limitations of apps and that partition.

Thoughts/advice welcomed.
    I'm linux illiterate , but do have Terminal installed on my Pre. What do I need to do to be able to provide this information?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I'm linux illiterate , but do have Terminal installed on my Pre. What do I need to do to be able to provide this information?
    Thanks. Without fairdinkum:

Code:
    du -mcs /var/luna/data
    du -mcs /var/luna/data/attachments
    du -mcs /var/luna/data/emails
    That'll give you the size of the whole data directory, and of the attachments and emails directories within.