Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Well I think there is another limit. After installing Fair Dinkum I was once again able to install apps. However I went a little "app crazy" and must have hit another limit because it is once again telling me there is not enough memory. My /var partition is 60% full now (98.2MB free). But thanks for this wonderful piece of software!

EDIT: Thinking it might be an app count problem, I removed one app and then was able to install two more. Obviously not a number limit. Ran df again and /var is once again 60% full. Does App Catalog also call df? If so it would be pretty easy to create a wrapper there too.
    Last edited by dallashigh; 10/12/2009 at 08:20 PM.
    you guys are great i don't understand why palm does not try to hire you.

Fred
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Ok Fella's! This is my 3rd post to this site about this app. After messing with this I have found that when the app is installed it will not let me download apps from the paid app catalog but will from home brew. To download from paid apps I have to uninstall this app and then I can download the app I want. I don't know if it is my phone or if it is the software. I have read all the instructions careful and followed the install info to the letter. There is a bug of some sort. Any answers? Dr. Bill
  4.    #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by pohbil View Post
    Ok Fella's! This is my 3rd post to this site about this app. After messing with this I have found that when the app is installed it will not let me download apps from the paid app catalog but will from home brew. To download from paid apps I have to uninstall this app and then I can download the app I want. I don't know if it is my phone or if it is the software. I have read all the instructions careful and followed the install info to the letter. There is a bug of some sort. Any answers? Dr. Bill
    No answers. It's clear there is stuff happening that we don't know about yet.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I kept getting the message that I was out of memory, so I installed this app, in hopes of being able to get some more apps from the catalog. So I tried downloading the bubble level app as a test, but still got the message (but a lot quicker than before). So I deleted the Survivor app (which is 6210K) and tried downloading the bubble level again (516K). Still out of memory!!! Any idea why this app isn't working for me? I don't do Linux, so have no idea exactly how much of my /var I'm using. Please help!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    When I installed 1.2, I installed all Palm programs until I ran into the app limit then I started to install homebrew. After I installed you patch, I now am able to dowload again. I have just dowloaded another 10 "palm apps" and still haven't seen the limit. I am over 150 apps overall (a bit crazy but I love the flexibility). Thanks!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmarcus View Post
    I kept getting the message that I was out of memory, so I installed this app, in hopes of being able to get some more apps from the catalog. So I tried downloading the bubble level app as a test, but still got the message (but a lot quicker than before). So I deleted the Survivor app (which is 6210K) and tried downloading the bubble level again (516K). Still out of memory!!! Any idea why this app isn't working for me? I don't do Linux, so have no idea exactly how much of my /var I'm using. Please help!
    maybe try a reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by belvedere View Post
    maybe try a reboot?
    Rebooted several times, uninstalled and reinstalled Fair Dinkum... Nothing. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmarcus View Post
    Rebooted several times, uninstalled and reinstalled Fair Dinkum... Nothing. :-(
    Your not the only one.. I've spent several hours trying to make it work this evening.. just instantly get the out of space message on both app catalog and filecoaster. It's so weird cause I'm not even out of space yet without the patch, I wonder if it only works once you've maxed out your space to begin with?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Now that I've had time to play with it more, I am having the same issue as volcom45. I don't even have many apps loaded, with fair dinkum I can only download apps from Preware without getting the error. And as dgmarcus stated the pop up comes up instantly with it loaded.
  11.    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    Can someone provide me with instructions for how to display the du code to confirm the memory settings after an apparent successful installation? I'm confident in my PreWare, Package Manager Service and Fairdinkum installation skills. After installation, I'm still unable to install any additional Catalog Apps. Thanks.
    To debug, we need to get output from running strace on LunaSysMgr to see what calls to 'du' it is making.

If you're comfortable with the Linux command line, make yourself known and we will step you through it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    +1 To the list of people that this is NOT working for.

I wanted to add myself to the list of people that still get the out of memory error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Package Service, Preware, and the Fair Dinkum App many times. I very very carefully followed the instruction of each install. I have also restarted many times. Like others, I also notice an improvement to the lag time before I get the out of space error. I have also deleted some apps, both app catalog and homebrew, to see if I can free up space and I still get the out of space error. I currently have about 80 packages installed from both Palm and homebrew.

I'd be curious to see a poll, but it looks like a large number of people can't get this app to fix their problem.

Thanks to all those that put time into these things. I'm sure there will be a solution to get this working soon.
    rwhitby, I am familiar and very comfortable with Linux, use it every day at work, SUSE, but not by choice. I have followed all instructions on how to cleanly install Preware, package manager service, and then installed Fair Dinkum App Limit. I rebooted to be sure, and still cannot update apps from App Catalog that need updating, or download new ones. Let me know what you want me to do with running strace on LunaSys and I will report back here, or at an email of your choosing. Send me a personal message and I will send you my email address.

Mike
    Okay Rod.. i am home... they did not replace my pre today i did infact install everything correctly and am in the irc chat when you get a chance let me know maybe we can go through the process of figuring out what the deal is here... for the record i have url to each feed not just the word feed
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Great work and praise to the developers for this app! :-)
    Unfortunately I think I have already maxed out my physical limit for Apps from the App store. Preware apps still download for me.
    Add me to the list of people the Fairdinkum app is not working for at this time. I still get not enough memory error and I don't want to give up the apps I currently have downloaded. Will keep an eye out for either another solution or for Palm to fix the partition situation.
    Thanks Again! :-)
  16.    #196  
    Thanks to Jack87 coming to the IRC channel and being available to debug on the Linux command line, we've determined that there is a second level of safety in LunaSysMgr which stops installations when /var gets more than 60% full (for the default /var size).

Next step is to determine whether the free space limit is a fixed percentage, or a fixed number of KBs free.

I'll need to webOS Doctor my Pre yet again (this time to get my 2GB /var partition back) to test that one out ...

What this does mean is that the combination of xorg's strategy of moving some apps to /media/internal, and Fair Dinkum, is a solution which should allow the full 8GB to be used without incurring the slowdown on app installation.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks to Jack87 coming to the IRC channel and being available to debug on the Linux command line, we've determined that there is a second level of safety in LunaSysMgr which stops installations when /var gets more than 60% full (for the default /var size).

What this does mean is that the combination of xorg's strategy of moving some apps to /media/internal, and Fair Dinkum, is a solution which should allow the full 8GB to be used without incurring the slowdown on app installation.

-- Rod
    We must have been doing our research simultaneously. I was just testing this myself.

To give more detail to everyone, the problem is that Luna calls the stat function to determine the free space based on the number of blocks available. This could be harmful in two ways:

1) stat is a language function, which means there's no "easy fix". Fooling this would require changing the C/C++ library which is quite difficult.
    2) If Luna is counting used blocks instead of free blocks, then it won't matter what size your /var partition is. Let's hope it's checking free blocks.

I look forward to seeing what rwhitby discovers as he looks into this.
    OK, the plot thickens... I logged into my Pre and snooped around /var. I noticed all of my e-mails and attachments are here. I quickly realized just how much space I had used because my e-mail preference for "SHOW EMAIL" was "All". Ouch! I changed that to "1 month" and resynced. I easily freed up 10% of /var.

I tried to install the recently released Weather.com app from the App Catalog. No go. I received an immediate not enough space error. As pohbil mentioned, after I uninstalled FairDinkum (BTW, I noticed the app directory was not deleted when the app was uninstalled), I was able to install from the App Catalog. In fact, I installed a paid app in addition to the weather app.

I'm not sure how much that may help anyone, but it seems to have worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    OK, the plot thickens... I logged into my Pre and snooped around /var. I noticed all of my e-mails and attachments are here. I quickly realized just how much space I had used because my e-mail preference for "SHOW EMAIL" was "All". Ouch! I changed that to "1 month" and resynced. I easily freed up 10% of /var.
    I've tried pointing that out elsewhere in the past on the forum. There is also contacts pics stored in var as well. Here is where nearly all the space in my /var is at:

33.3M /var/opt
    25.3M /var/usr
    9.7M /var/luna
    8.6M /var/lib
    5.1M /var/log
    2.8M /var/palm
    1.3M /var/telenav

As you can see the above take up nearly all the space used in my case and likely everyone's case. Only /var/usr contains apps we install. I have installed 20 app not counting the stock installed apps. As you can see the space used by the other above directories is enough space to install as many as 40 more apps.

/var/opt I'm assuming is optware?

/var/luna is a data storage space for the OS. Contacts images, email cache, browser related icons. For users with tons of contacts and heavy email users this can take up a lot of space.

/var/lib contains all sorts of stuff related to classic. The bulk of it being palmOS apps installed for use in classic. I no longer use classic so I will be freeing up most of that space as a result of manually removing the directory that was not removed after removing classic. Looks like a company I used for palmOS needs to step up and make their apps for webOS to clean garbage left behind from apps we uninstall. I can't believe companies don't remove everything GRR.

/var/log As long as this directory is kept clean it probably is not an issue waiting to happen but if it isn't it has the potential to be a wasteland of garbage eating up space.

/var/palm Contains databases for apps. Also contains browser cookies. Which has the potential to get pretty big if you visit a lot of pages. Cookies takes up half the space for that folder on mine.
  20.    #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I've tried pointing that out elsewhere in the past on the forum. There is also contacts pics stored in var as well. Here is where nearly all the space in my /var is at:

33.3M /var/opt

/var/opt I'm assuming is optware?
    Yes. There's bound to be stuff in there you no longer need. Especially all the quilt dependencies if you have not migrated to quilt-lite.

-- Rod