Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AbeEstrada View Post
    Is there a way to bypass the Palm Pixi activation? It doesn't have WiFi to create a Palm Profile
    I think it's coming very soon if it's not here already. Just curious why you'd buy a Pixi without internet access? Is it just because it's not available on your carrier?
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by AbeEstrada View Post
    Is there a way to bypass the Palm Pixi activation? It doesn't have WiFi to create a Palm Profile
    Meta-doctor should get you in to the device, but the question is what network interface are you going to use to create your Palm Profile?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm having a heckuva time trying to get the vboxvfs module loaded in order to mount the shared folder. So... this solution isn't quite a solution until I can figure out how to fix that.
    Ok how to fix this....
    1) In Virtual Box select Devices -> Install Guest Additions
    2) Open a console and type sudo modprobe vboxvfs
    3) Create a folder with a unique name in windows that you want to share. Use a name without spaces.
    4) In VirtualBox go to Devices -> Shared Folders. Browse to the folder you just created and make sure you tick the "Make Permanent" checkbox.
    5) Create a folder in Ubuntu with a unique that you want to "sync" with the one in windows. I created mine on the Desktop and called it SharedItems.
    6) In ubuntu type sudo mount -t vboxsf ShareForLinux Desktop/SharedItems

I hope I didn't forget anything....please let me know if this worked for you
    Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 11/29/2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    2) Open a console and type sudo modprobe vboxvfs
    So, yea... like I was saying... this is the part that doesn't work for me. Gives me this same error no matter what method I use for installing Guest Additions (aptitude install -or- "Devices" > "Install Guest Additions")...

"FATAL: Module vboxvfs not found."

That's why I was saying I don't know how to build modules like this. This is a stock 9.10 install inside of VirtualBox, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I am also using Ubuntu as my hostOS, but I really don't think that's an issue, since VirtualBox has found my "shared folder"... and I'm very positive it's related to this module not building/installing itself properly.

When installing thru "aptitude install", i get that error above that says..

"* No suitable module for running kernel found [fail]"

... so I'm not sure what's going wrong.
    This is a stock 9.10 install inside of VirtualBox, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

When installing thru "aptitude install", i get that error above that says..

"* No suitable module for running kernel found [fail]"

... so I'm not sure what's going wrong.
    I am not entirely sure what the problem is here. After I installed the Guest Additions, vboxvfs worked for me. I am using 8.04.3 though not 9.10. Are you using the 64bit or 32bit? Maybe the problem lies somewhere there...

The MetaDoctor wiki article mentions of some issues with the 64bit SDK installation. I am wondering if this could be the case for the module that vboxvfs "lives in"?

It may worth swapping to 8.04.3 if you have the time, since this definaly works fine for me, unless someone else under 9.10 can suggest something for you to try...

Vas
    Yup, I do like 8.04 myself, but I figured I'd give all this a chance with 9.10 since it is newer software by 18 months! Like you, most of the issues I've seen with 9.10 have been with the 64-bit version. I have never downloaded anything that was 64-bit and don't plan on starting that anytime soon.

I am curious what would happen if a 64-bit guestOS were installed on a 32-bit hostOS, tho. Prolly nothin'...

Oh well, I guess I'll have to look to the UbuntuForums for a solution whenever I get some more time, or just give up and tell people to download 8.04, which prolly wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I am curious what would happen if a 64-bit guestOS were installed on a 32-bit hostOS, tho. Prolly nothin'...
    I would expect that it should work as long as you can support a 64-bit OS. The guess OS is contained in Virtual Box so in theory it should be ok. Which version of Vistual box are you running? I got 3.0.12r5465. Im also on Vista 64 in case this helps...

Vas
    So I've been trying to root my palm pre before activation. I have vista but im using ubuntu as my Linux. I got all the way to the step where the WebOs doctor comes up. It asks my language then hit correct then accept. But when it gets to the connect your palm on the usb cord, it stops. I also looked into the terminal and the terminal is constantly tracking the time while at the same time saying [[ com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$Device DiscoveryThread run
    IF:Got controller/Got devices0 ]]

Im using webos 1.3.1

Please help me!
    Unfortunately, I don't think the guestOS will connect to the USB port (at least not without some work?). This is why you have to add "Guest Additions" to VirtualBox in order to link a shared folder so that you can use it on your hostOS.

As of right now, 9.10 might need a bit of work to get the vboxvfs module working properly. If this is the case, 8.04 will be needed to be downloaded, and you'll have to create a new virtual disk.... and I'm very close to changing the instructions to use that instead. I guess I'll do that if I can't find a solution within a couple hours.

EDIT: btw, if you activate your Pre, you can "root" it just by using WOSQI on your desktopOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Meta-doctor should get you in to the device, but the question is what network interface are you going to use to create your Palm Profile?

-- Rod
    Is it possible to root the Palm Pixi before create the Palm Profile?
    I don't live in the USA that's why I need to setup the configuration for a different carrier to use it. With the Palm Pre is easy because the WiFi. I use QPST to configure the settings in the Pre.
    Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide is actually in working order now, from as far as I can tell.

Sorry to anybody who actually used it in the state it was in before. Was really just a skeleton guide so that I could get the forum formatting down properly, but I'm sure you enjoyed getting a couple steps ahead.

As it is right now, I think ANYBODY should be able to get this working in less than an hour (provided you have a fast enough ISP), and the majority of that time you're not actually doing anything anyway. About 15~20 min of actual work, I'd guesstimate.

ENJOY!!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've been plugging away at this with some help from other members (thanks) but it does seem remarkably error-prone for what ought to be quite a simple procedure. Perhaps a way round this would be for those who have had success to post/host their metadoctored ROMs so that they could be downloaded. Would that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeneezerc View Post
    I've been plugging away at this with some help from other members (thanks) but it does seem remarkably error-prone for what ought to be quite a simple procedure. Perhaps a way round this would be for those who have had success to post/host their metadoctored ROMs so that they could be downloaded. Would that work?
    I don't think this is an option as the originally post clearly states:
    Redistribution of the webOS Doctor (either original files or modified files) is a violation of copyright law.

I can see your frustration but I hit some issues and I had to experiment to iron them. I am sure if you ask the right questions there will be people to give the right answers.

Thanks
    Vas
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have created a tool which will download, unpack, patch, and repack a webOS Doctor image, applying a number of transformations along the way to:

1. Bypass the need for activation
    2. Enable Palm Profile access
    3. Set developer mode on by default
    4. Increase the size of the /var partition to 2GB

See my blog post at rwhitby.net : The WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor for details.

You can find this tool in the WebOS Internals source code repository at git.webos-internals.org Git - tools/meta-doctor.git/summary

The tool requires a Ubuntu Linux host to run. I encourage others to take the techniques embodied in the tool and create a cross-platform solution. This does what I need, and I'm not personally interested in creating such a cross-platform tool, but will assist anyone else who is interested.

Do not redistribute modified versions of the webOS Doctor created using this tool – it is for end-user use only. Redistribution of the webOS Doctor (either original files or modified files) is a violation of copyright law.

-- Rod
    Hey Rod
    A million thanks for all your hard work

Is it much to ask to modify the makefile to include a make clean option?
    Reason is when I rebuild I get the following msgs:

make: Nothing to be done for unpack
    make: Nothing to be done for patch
    make: Nothing to be done for pack

So I got to delete all files and restart from scratch. I am not an expert on make so if you could do that, it would help many people. Or is there a quicker work around to my problem?

Thanks
    Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 12/01/2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeneezerc View Post
    Nope... as VasGreek already stated, that would not be legal.

Try this one more time from the beginning. Just start a new virtual image. You can use the same ubuntu-9.10.iso to start a thousand different virtual disks if you'd like. Just start a new one called Ubuntu 9.11 or something and start from scratch.... you will have no issue. If you do at that point, then lemme know where you're having problems. I'm about 99% sure that you won't receive errors if you follow from the beginning.

The first time around I added a lotta steps that were not necessary and missed out a couple that were needed.... so the only real time you'll have to wait is a few minutes for 9.10 to install again. Really shouldn't be an issue.
    So I am correct in assuming that GSM users don't need to get their MSL and "reset their modem's programming"... since it's all in their SIM cards, right?
    Just to say guys, I ran this in OS X (.6) and it creates the image just fine! (No VirtualBox, just using bash in OSX). However, I had git and such installed already. I'll tell you guys if this version works.

I have a GSM Pre and the firmware I'm using is 1.3.1 (carrier=wr)

*edit*Hmmm, fell at the last hurdle, it wouldn't install on the system whereas the default meta-doctor does.*edit*
    Last edited by asQuirreL; 12/01/2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: New information, didn't want to double post
    Interesting... you actually generated a new doctor, but it doesn't install?? Did you hold the Vol Up button before putting the doctor on there?

What do you mean by "fell at the last hurdle"? Which hurdle?

There's a ton of hurdles...
    Basically, the make ran without a hitch (seemingly no errors). I went ahead and I (copied and) unpacked the jar file to make sure the edits were there, but only went so far as to check the MANIFEST.MF file (and that folder) to see if the right things had been deleted, and they had, so I thought it had done all the necessary edits. However, when it came to it, I tried to restore the firmware using the meta doctor'd jar and it got past installing drivers and said the device could not be reset. It wasn't a device problem, because I could install it with the default webosdoctorp100ueu-wr.jar file. I'm sure there's something I missed. To be honest, I was kind of in a hurry xD and I'm not too hot on the *nix scene but I know enough to speculate that OS X being built on *nix, shouldn't need that much tweaking to get this running, so thats why I gave it a try :P .
    Here's the steps I used to use the Meta with a Sprint rom. I'll be cleaning these steps up over the next couple days...

Intro:
    The Meta-Doctor accomplishes three tasks:
    (1) Bypasses need for carrier-specific activation; allows wi-fi activation of Palm Profile.
    (2) Re-partitions filesystem to increase /var limit [normal-default of 256 MB to meta-default of 2 GB or whatever you so choose]. This gets rid of the App Catalog limit once and for all!
    (3) Automatically enables Dev Mode, which makes restoring a phone a little bit quicker and less frustrating... especially if you're a real tweaker.

Steps:
    1. If you plan on using Sprint as your carrier, you will need to call them in order to get your MSL. GSM users can skip this step since they use SIM cards (methinks).
    2. If using Windows, Download and Install VirtualBox (ELSE skip to step 7).
    3. Download the latest 32-bit Ubuntu .iso "cd image" (mirror).
    4. Install the Ubuntu 9.10 .iso on a virtual disk inside VirtualBox.
    • Click the big "New" button > "Next". Type "Ubuntu 9.10" as the name, select "Linux" and then "Next", since regular "Ubuntu" should already be selected (NOT 64-bit).
    • Select "Next" five more times, then "Finish".
    • Double click your newly created Virtual Disk, "Ubuntu 9.10", and pay close attention to the HOST KEY that swaps you from your guestOS (9.10) to hostOS (presumably Windows) -- **Right CTRL**. "Next".
    • Now the First Run Wizard pops up. Hit "Next" and select "Image File" at the bottom and then browse to find and select the ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso that you downloaded earlier. "Finish".
    • Click the checkbox to ignore all color bit messages in the future and select "Continue". Pass thru the language prompt by hitting Enter for the default "English", then select the second menu option, "Install Ubuntu", and hit Enter again.
    • The Ubiquity graphical installer should pop right up (if not, just double-click the "Install" icon). As long as you speak English and use a USA keyboard layout, you can just hit "Forward" four times until you get to step 5 of 6. Fill this information out, then hit "Forward" and "Install".
    • While waiting... press the Right Ctrl key to get back to your hostOS. Create a new folder somewhere on your hostOS to use as a shared folder; let's call this folder "hostOS". Now, in the VirtualBox (VBox) window (the same one that Ubuntu is installing in)... go to "Devices" > "Shared Folders..." > click the tiny icon in the top-right corner with the '+' sign > find and double-click the folder you just created > "Choose" > select "Make Permanent" > "OK" > "OK".
    • Continue waiting for the installation to complete, then click "Restart Now" when prompted.

5. Now boot your newly created virtual disk inside of VBox.
    • Now that the newly installed machine has shutdown, close the top VBox window and "Power off the machine".
    • The main VBox window will have your new virtual disk "Ubuntu 9.10" right there for you to easily double-click to open, like you did earlier.
    • If it then gives you a list of language options like before, go to "Unmount CD/DVD-ROM" and try again.

6. Once you reach the login prompt, login! Open a Terminal (go to "Applications" -> "Accessories" -> "Terminal"). Don't ever close this terminal! It's good etiquette.
    • NOTE: Simply ignore and/or close the "Update Manager" window when it pops up in a couple minutes.

7. Now you need to prepare your meta'd-doctor. Open Firefox and find this post so that you can copy and paste each of these entire command lines (just Google "webos meta-doctor" and it should be around the first few results). Each command begins in bold.

sudo -s
    • Insert password, hit Enter.

aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    • Agree to Java terms; Use the Tab key to shift to the "OK" button and then Enter to select it, and then select the "Yes" button to finalize the agreement.

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    mkdir meta-doctor/downloads/
    cd meta-doctor/downloads/

wget -c palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p131r0d11172009/sr1ntp131rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar
    • Rename the file accordingly [with proper version], as seen at step 10 on the Meta-Doc Wiki.

mv webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.1.jar
    cd ..
    nano Makefile

• This command will open up an editor so you can examine the actions of the Makefile.
    • Make sure to get the CARRIER string right, as can be seen in the Meta-Doc Wiki.
    • Adjust /var limit, if you so choose. I picked 2560 MB, but 2048 MB would be fine for anyone.
      + To do what I did, change...
      • "sed -i.orig -e '/<Volume id="var"/s|256MB/2048MB|' build/${PATIENT}/webOS/${CODENAME}.xml"

...to...
      • "sed -i.orig -e '/<Volume id="var"/s|256MB/2560MB|' build/${PATIENT}/webOS/${CODENAME}.xml"
    • When you're done, just hit Ctrl+X to exit and 'Y' to save your changes.

make unpack patch pack
    • If this isn't working for you, you prolly didn't set the CARRIER variable in the Makefile.
    • You can also set the CARRIER variable thru the command line...

make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch pack

8. Once it's finished building, transfer the meta'd-doctor to your shared folder.

modprobe vboxvfs
    mkdir ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    mount -t vboxsf hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS/

• If you don't receive any errors, you should be able to copy the file to your guestOS/ shared folder and it will show up in your hostOS/ shared folder...

cp build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.3.1/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.1.jar ~/Desktop/guestOS/
    • TIP: If you plan on using this guestOS more than once, you can have it automatically mount your shared folder for you. Just add this command right before "exit 0" in the /etc/rc.local file:
      mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 hostOS ~/Desktop/guestOS

9. Go back to your hostOS' shared folder, then open your meta'd doctor and let it work its magic on your phone.
    • Make sure you have backed up EVERYTHING, including the /media partition (mass storage with media, etc.). Everything will be gone in just a few seconds.
    • Triple check that you have gotten your MSL from Sprint (or any other CDMA carrier).
    • Restart your device (Opt + Sym + R) and hold the Volume Up button until you see a huge USB symbol on your screen.
    • Now start the meta'd-doctor with a right-click ("Open With..." > "Java") or just a double-click... whatever works for you. (java -jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.3.1.jar if necessary).
    • Press "Continue", "Next", and all that junk. Give your meta'd-doctor all the time it needs to work its thing.

10. Upon restart, Sprint [and other CDMA] users will need to reset the modem's programming. Here are the instructions from the Meta-Doc Wiki...

11. Kiss Rod Whitby on the cheek.
    12. Play with Ubuntu some more if you're not familiar with it already. Or practice around with ANY operating system that can be installed in VirtualBox. Enjoy!
    GOSH!!! Im so frustrated right now!!! All of you guys MUST have prior knowledge and experience in doing stuff like this. Nothing is working for me... This is crap! Plus your directions still assume the person trying this has an idea of what you are talking about with all of this. All of my steps are still nothing like what you are describing in your tut....
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast