Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Would anyone be willing to walk me through this procedure via some kind of chat (aim, google, whatever)?

I downloaded and installed virtualbox, downloaded and burned Ubuntu Desktop 8.04 to cd, and downloaded the 1.2.1 Doctor. But am not totally comfortable with the rest of the procedure. Thanks. PM me
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Would anyone be willing to walk me through this procedure via some kind of chat (aim, google, whatever)?

I downloaded virtualbox, Ubuntu Desktop 8.04, and the 1.2.1 Doctor. But am not totally comfortable with the rest of the procedure. Thanks.
    http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

The condition is that you document the procedure on a Meta-Doctor wiki page for others to use.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    Hi Folks,

ok - I think this is a step by step guide...

Getting Ready
    --------------------
    1) Download Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine for vmware (I used the desktop version)
    2) at the terminal , type
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    (if necessary, follow the instructions to install git)
    3) make sure you have patch. Type patch at the command line, and if necessary follow instructions to download it
    4) install java (applications/add remove/show: all available applications/java 6 runtime)
    5) install the palm sdk (actually you only need the novacmd part). Instructions at developer.palm.com
    6) download the rom jar to the /meta-doctor/downloads folder
    rename download to webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.2.0.jar
    check you have the right one using this page Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Doing it
    -----------
    5) navigate to the meta-doctor directory in the terminal and type
    make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch pack
    6) updated version will be in the build/pre... folder
    7) make sure palm is connected to your virtual machine (check the VMWare menu)
    8) run it with java -jar webosdoctor...

rWhitby - You Rock!
    I've pasted this into Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals and jonaddis84 is going to format and flesh it out as he follows them.

Thanks for the content!

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by henning70 View Post
    Hi,

I got myself a german pre and used meta-doctor and it worked like a charm. It bypassed the profile creation and I had access to the pre...yeah. I then configured my wi-fi connection and hooray, I could create a palm profile.

Via the wi-fi connection I can browse the net and do e-mail, youtube etc. etc. I can make and receive calls. Everything seems to work perfectly.

I have only one problem, or maybe I'm doing something wrong or I don't know what I'm doing (). I'm trying to setup GPRS/HSDPA to connect to my mobile provider. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Same here, I have a German Pre, 'unlocked'. I have T-mobile NL as my provider. I can make and receive calls. I cannot pass the activation screen.

As I understand it, only major German providers are supported for data connections. I am not sure whether this means that other providers are 'not supported during activation time' or that other providers 'are also not supported after activation time'.
    Your experience shows that even after activation time, data connections are not supported .

Do you have a provider in one of the non-supported countries? And would this mean that data roaming in these countries is not possible with a Palm pre even for one from O2 in Germany?
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    Hi Folks,

ok - I think this is a step by step guide...

Getting Ready
    --------------------
    [........................]

Doing it
    -----------
    5) navigate to the meta-doctor directory in the terminal and type
    make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch pack
    6) updated version will be in the build/pre... folder
    7) make sure palm is connected to your virtual machine (check the VMWare menu)
    8) run it with java -jar webosdoctor...

rWhitby - You Rock!
    Though I managed to bypass my German Pre's activation screen in the end, these steps 5 till 8 took me a long time. Perhaps the following helps other inexperienced linux users.

step 5) For GSM step 5 reads
    make CARRIER=wr unpack patch pack

Step 6) the new file is in a build sub-directory (I forgot to write down the full path)

step 7) I have no idea how to do "make sure palm is connected". I read
    community/VirtualBox - Ubuntu NL wiki
    , however, I still cannot get the phone being seen by step 8)

I used virtual sun's virtualbox, perhaps that's very different from VMware mentioned in step 7

Step 8) run in the linux terminal java -jar webosdoctor...

Step 7 alternative
    Since I did not succeed to get my Pre recognized on USB in the virtual box (so WeOs doctor kept looking for a device, the next button stayed dimmed), I did the following

- In win XP, I did one original webos doctor download and run from Palm site, and terminated it while it was looking for the (not connected) Pre. That step installed the right XP drivers

- I copied the newly generated webosdocter from the virtualbox to win xp;
    - typed in the XP run command (start menu):
    java -jar webosdoctor file name

Great initiative and work, thanks!
    Well, I now have 2gb in my /var!

I will note for inexperienced linux users (I have ZERO experience) this is a very very in depth procedure, it ended up taking me two days to complete it.

The most time consuming part is simply making the new doctor file, this is only difficult if you are running any OS besides linux. Once the doctor file is made its no different than running the factory Palm webosdoctor.

I hope I never have to run the doctor again, it took me about 4hrs to restore my Pre back to how it was before I doctored it. Just re-installing homebrew apps and patches takes a longgg time. Not to mention re-copying the USB drive over with a few gigs of music on there.

Anyway, Ive updated the Wiki for extreme beginners, everything should be covered, if not let me know I can probably point you in a good direction.

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by jonaddis84; 10/23/2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Well, I now have 2gb in my /var!

..... The most time consuming part is simply making the new doctor file, this is only difficult if you are running any OS besides linux. Once the doctor file is made its no different than running the factory Palm webosdoctor.

......... Anyway, Ive updated the Wiki for extreme beginners, everything should be covered, if not let me know I can probably point you in a good direction.

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals
    That looks fine jonaddis84, thanks. B.t.w. it was just the other way around for me. I got stuck in the last steps.
    Another experience from a beginner. I downloaded the webosdoctor under win XP and then copied it to Linux in the virtualbox. The file update process terminated with a checksum error on webos.tar while expanding. I checked both the MD5 and the checksum in XP and that was OK!

So I downloaded it again, this time from the web browser in the virtualbox. The problem was gone.Copying the upgraded webdoctor file back from the virtual box to win XP went fine. I then also ran the pre update with Java under win XP.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 10/24/2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: copy back went fine addition
  8.    #68  
    I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to the wiki page.

This is the way I have hoped that things would happen in this community. When end-users take the effort to create the documentation, it frees up more time for the developers to create new stuff. And it often results in better documentation, since no assumptions are made about prior knowledge.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Is there a way to at the time the custom doctor image is made to add in additional apps. I'm thinking it would be nice to cram common stuff in it. Such as package manager service and preware, and any other dependencies. Terminal, Internalz, OpenSSH or Dropbear, and have it pre-configured with a user and password. Basically make it truly a custom doctor for a specific users pre. Heck, pre-configure the palm porfile information.

Basically how much and how can we do to it during this process? I think I saw where we could change the size of partitions.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by henning70 View Post
    Hi,

I got myself a german pre and used meta-doctor and it worked like a charm. It bypassed the profile creation and I had access to the pre...yeah. I then configured my wi-fi connection and hooray, I could create a palm profile.

Via the wi-fi connection I can browse the net and do e-mail, youtube etc. etc. I can make and receive calls. Everything seems to work perfectly.

I have only one problem, or maybe I'm doing something wrong or I don't know what I'm doing (). I'm trying to setup GPRS/HSDPA to connect to my mobile provider. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Look for the 3G connection at http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    dfimage.jpg

Rod, its my pleasure, the least I could do for all the time and effort you guys put in making all this stuff possible!

I guess what really took so long for me was waiting for all the huge files ( webosdoctor, ubuntu, vbox, palmsdk) to download. Figuring out the file sharing took awhile also.
    Last edited by jonaddis84; 10/24/2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I added a little to the wiki page. After guest additions installation you have to restart the Virtual Machine before the folder share mount will work.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Is there a way to at the time the custom doctor image is made to add in additional apps. I'm thinking it would be nice to cram common stuff in it. Such as package manager service and preware, and any other dependencies. Terminal, Internalz, OpenSSH or Dropbear, and have it pre-configured with a user and password. Basically make it truly a custom doctor for a specific users pre. Heck, pre-configure the palm porfile information.

Basically how much and how can we do to it during this process? I think I saw where we could change the size of partitions.
    You can pretty much do anything you like, as long as you maintain the md5sum tables correctly.

All the stuff you list is possible - it's just a matter of programming it.

-- Rod
    Great stuff guys. I just went thru the Wiki and everything works well.
    Luckily I already have Ubuntu 9.04 running as a guest with a Shared folder so there was not that much downloading or Ubuntu virtual box guest configuration to do.
    At first the Palm Developer page put me off saying one needs to download Virtual box again for the UBuntu version of the SDK (but hey, a Virtual box within a virtualbox? lol) - and as it turns out, there's no need. Just install the Ubuntu SDK within the Ubuntu virtual box guest.
    I contributed a little to the Wiki as there was a typo in "Doing it" line 5) where it should be "make CARRIER=wr unpack patch pack" and not "make CARRIER=rw unpack patch pack" if folks had renamed the file as mentioned earlier in the Wiki.

Now I have the new WebOS doctor. All I need is my GSM Palm Pre to arrive from Expansys
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I got a BAD ESN pre from ebay, and used meta-doctor to unlock.
    (I'm an iPhone developer from Asia. I can't connect to Sprint anyway)

Ubuntu under Parallels 4.0 on Mac OS X worked well with a few glitch.
    The USB connection straight from the virtual machine didn't work (perhaps it was a Parallels problem), so I copied the final build jar file to a Mac folder, and ran it under Snow Leopard. The flashing went smoothly without any trouble.

Like someone else who has mentioned in this thread, I can use wifi for web browsing, messaging etc but I cannot create a palm profile. From Preferences & Accounts menu, "+ Add Account" is greyed out, although is clickable. But however I try with different sets of passwords, clicking on "Continue" will not let me create a new profile. (the screen looks like it's frozen. nothing happens)

Also I can connect to Preware and fileCoaster, but not to App Catalog as it will say "App Catalog unavailable. Try again later." all the time. Is this because I do not have a palm profile?
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by fpenguin View Post
    I got a BAD ESN pre from ebay, and used meta-doctor to unlock.
    (I'm an iPhone developer from Asia. I can't connect to Sprint anyway)

Ubuntu under Parallels 4.0 on Mac OS X worked well with a few glitch.
    The USB connection straight from the virtual machine didn't work (perhaps it was a Parallels problem), so I copied the final build jar file to a Mac folder, and ran it under Snow Leopard. The flashing went smoothly without any trouble.

Like someone else who has mentioned in this thread, I can use wifi for web browsing, messaging etc but I cannot create a palm profile. From Preferences & Accounts menu, "+ Add Account" is greyed out, although is clickable. But however I try with different sets of passwords, clicking on "Continue" will not let me create a new profile. (the screen looks like it's frozen. nothing happens)

Also I can connect to Preware and fileCoaster, but not to App Catalog as it will say "App Catalog unavailable. Try again later." all the time. Is this because I do not have a palm profile?
    I have only tested on a 'good ESN' phone. I suspect you can't create a new profile on a bad ESN phone.

-- Rod
    There's a section here about creating a Palm Profile on bad ESN phones.
    ok, so i bypassed the palm pre OS, and everytime i have charged my phone it tells me to update the webOS. i haven't done that beacuse i didnt know the outcome. now, it started the update because i didnt know that leaving it alone lets it update while charging, so by updating the webOS will i have to rehack the phone? please answer ASAP i've asked around a bunch of sites and never heard anything from anyone.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by pyroguy57 View Post
    ok, so i bypassed the palm pre OS, and everytime i have charged my phone it tells me to update the webOS. i haven't done that beacuse i didnt know the outcome. now, it started the update because i didnt know that leaving it alone lets it update while charging, so by updating the webOS will i have to rehack the phone? please answer ASAP i've asked around a bunch of sites and never heard anything from anyone.
    First of all, you haven't 'hacked' the phone. You've simply enabled wifi communication to complete the Palm profile activation before a cellular connection can be completed.

Once you have entered your wifi details, and the wifi connection comes up automatically on each boot, then it doesn't matter whether an OTA update is applied or not.

-- Rod
    Hi all, I have a german O2 Palm Pre, which does not work in Norway with a Telenor sim... So I am trying to use webosmetadoctor, and follow the instructions from this page: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

But get this error (output from terminal):

anders@Filosofen:~/meta-doctor$ make CARRIER=wr unpack patch pack
    rm -rf build/pre-p100eww-wr-1.1.3
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-wr-1.1.3
    cp downloads/webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar build/pre-p100eww-wr-1.1.3/webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-wr-1.1.3 ; \
    unzip webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF resources/webOS.tar )
    Archive: webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar or
    webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar.zip, and cannot find webosdoctorp100eww-wr-1.1.3.jar.ZIP, period.
    make: *** [build/pre-p100eww-wr-1.1.3/.unpacked] Error 9

So, what to do now?

Kind regards,
    Anders Holt
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast