Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am trying to get rid of the AT&T junk on my AT&T Veer. For this I used the 'meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1' script.

1. How does one know that the script is finished running? The process seems to get stuck for a long time on "INFO: device runner done". But if I try to close the terminal window, I get a message stating that a process is still running. Why does the script seemingly get stuck?

2. After the script is finished, it does not automatically run the metadoctor. This does not seem to be normal. What could be causing this? I have even tried running the newly compiled meta-doctor manually, but I end up getting the following error:
    "The file '/home/sanjay/meta-doctor/build/meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1/webosdoctorp160una-wr-2.1.1.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

3. How do I mark the metadoctor jar file as executable?

Thanks.

PS: Please ignore # 3. I changed the settings in the properties to make the file executable and am now running the meta-doctor. Hopefully all will be fine.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I've used the same script and had it installed using H2O for about a week without incident and all the ATT bloatware is gone
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I just created a doctor using meta-wr-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3, did any of you guys already test this on a EU Pre3?
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post
    I just created a doctor using meta-wr-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3, did any of you guys already test this on a EU Pre3?
    Works fine flashed on my EU Pre3 (UK QWERTY). I did however notice the webos.tar resource in this meta-doctor includes the 3004 ATT UMTS firmware. EU are running 3500. My device works fine on either.

You can disable the modem update in the meta-doctor Makefile to ensure your device remains on 3500 if you desire.
    Last edited by domb; 12/04/2011 at 08:18 AM.
    Wondering if I have what could be considered a "bricked" Pre (Sprint original).

Used Metadoctor this time last year via Cygwin successfully to make the device a wifi only device for my daughter (I see Cygwin support was since pulled). Everything seemed fine, but after a week she dropped the Pre and it went into an infinite loop where it's stuck on the "Palm" screen. You can see the screen flicker as it tries to start a process, but it stays stuck.

Phone taken away from daughter as she didn't treat it well. I just picked it back up to see if it's salvageable. In trying to Doctor (Sprint stock image), I can force it into USB mode and it will make it to roughly 8% before the phone is forced to reboot and again gets stuck at the Palm screen. Thought I'd post to see if anyone had thoughts...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  5.    #685  
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Wondering if I have what could be considered a "bricked" Pre (Sprint original).

Used Metadoctor this time last year via Cygwin successfully to make the device a wifi only device for my daughter (I see Cygwin support was since pulled). Everything seemed fine, but after a week she dropped the Pre and it went into an infinite loop where it's stuck on the "Palm" screen. You can see the screen flicker as it tries to start a process, but it stays stuck.

Phone taken away from daughter as she didn't treat it well. I just picked it back up to see if it's salvageable. In trying to Doctor (Sprint stock image), I can force it into USB mode and it will make it to roughly 8% before the phone is forced to reboot and again gets stuck at the Palm screen. Thought I'd post to see if anyone had thoughts...
    If you see a logo at boot, then it is not bricked, and the techniques on our recovery wiki page will fix it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi, is there anyway to generate att-vanilla 2.2.4 for pre 3 using meta doctor currently? i can't find the script in meta-doctor script folder

Thanks
    Just wanted to post some recent experience in bringing my Sprint Franken-Pre2 back to 2.1.0 from 2.2.4. I definitely saw some behavior I've never come across before (10-12 Franken-Pre/Pre+/Pre2 MetaDoctors over the last year plus).

In short, at some point during / after my 'restore' process to get my phone back to full operating capacity, the Phone App would stop working. Tapping the icon would make it glow, but it would never launch. I could receive calls (and make calls using speed dial), but there was no "Phone" app... hence I couldn't terminate calls on my end. Reboots would NOT work to fix the issue. The Phone app just didn't work to be shown as a card. JSTOP did reflect two instances of "Phone" were running as background apps, but I couldn't terminate them.

MetaDoctor File for my Unlocked Pre2 with Sprint comm board was created in early January using this script ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0

I didn't have time to use it until this past weeekend and the first MetaDoctor run led to the Phone App issue described above.

Thinking there were some lingering issues because of not erasing the /media/internal partition, I then ran a "Full Erase" (which never completed -- Phone was constantly glowing at the HP logo for 30-40 minutes, never rebooted).

Pulled battery and Ran MetaDoctor 2.1.0 a 2nd time. After profile log-in I ran "Full Erase" again, just to be safe. Erased USB and rebooted fine this time. Ran through my reinstall process (Apps --> Mail & Cal Accounts --> Turn Off UpdateDaemon -->USB partition files ---> Preware ---> SaveRestore --->HB Apps and patches --> "Other" accounts: Facebook and LinkedIn), each time checking the phone app along the way and didn't notice any issues until after the last step: Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.)

Finally, ran "Full Erase" again -- same as before it did not complete. This time, I installed MetaDoctor 2.1.0 again and so far so good. (~24 hours later). I have yet to add LinkedIn or Facebook accounts... The only other thing I did differently was to delete some unused App Cat / HB apps and a few less important patches. Not that I suspected any of these things could be responsible, mainly, I just figured I'd do some early spring cleaning.

I really don't need any help, since I appear to be working just fine -- using the same MetaDoctor file as before, but I thought I'd post my experiences here in case this ever happens to someone else. In case I ever need to Dr again, I'm happy to hear any ideas about what might have caused this or potential steps to take if it does.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/23/2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Can you still make calls or text?
    Got hold of a UK Touchpad with SIM card slot (marked on the back as a prototype) - friend of mine had wiped data and now cant get it to start. All versions of standard webdoctor report it's the wrong version so here I am at meta-doc.

Meta doc seems to run OK, have changed makefile to remove model check, but every time i run the modded webdoctor it continues to tell me i'm using the wrong version for the device. Using the ATT3.0.4 script.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I bought an unlocked AT&T Pixi Plus and I'm trying to make it so that I can use it in Europe trip as just a phone plus wifi.

First of all, I need to bypass the Palm activation and somehow still have the phone be ready for a SIM card overseas.

1) If I use meta doctor to bypass the activation using the AT&T webos Doctor image, will it lock the phone again?

2) So, after bypass, will the phone work without any 3G data when I plug in a SIM card?

*edit*
    So, instead of messing with webos doctor, I just got an AT&T Go-Phone prepaid plan for $2/day and $5/10M data. I was able to set up the Palm profile and enabled the phone. Once the phone was enabled, I set up the wifi and then switched over to tmobile SIM card without any problems.
    Last edited by csrow; 04/03/2012 at 01:52 PM.
    how do i modify one doctor not hybrid doctors?thanks

Actually,i want unpack a doctor ,do some patches and then repack the doctor.
    Last edited by vorber; 06/30/2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vorber View Post
    how do i modify one doctor not hybrid doctors?thanks

Actually,i want unpack a doctor ,do some patches and then repack the doctor.
    The Make file has lots of switches use unpack to unpack, use patch to patch, then use pack to repack the changed files back into the JAR.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Rod

Now that webOS CE has been released are there any plans to back-port any 3.0.5 code onto webOS 2.x devices. I know CE isn't a full code release and it might be a lot of work to migrate code back.

I'm not even sure if this is possible or would even be useful.

Thanks for all your hard work! :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

The condition is that you document the procedure on a Meta-Doctor wiki page for others to use.

-- Rod
    Rod, can I get help, too? I have no idea how to do any of this stuff. I've been stuggling with ubuntu and scripts, java and jar files for a day or two and am just frustrated.

Thanks.

Doug
    901-230-4498
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Just wanted to post some recent experience in bringing my Sprint Franken-Pre2 back to 2.1.0 from 2.2.4. I definitely saw some behavior I've never come across before (10-12 Franken-Pre/Pre+/Pre2 MetaDoctors over the last year plus).

In short, at some point during / after my 'restore' process to get my phone back to full operating capacity, the Phone App would stop working. Tapping the icon would make it glow, but it would never launch. I could receive calls (and make calls using speed dial), but there was no "Phone" app... hence I couldn't terminate calls on my end. Reboots would NOT work to fix the issue. The Phone app just didn't work to be shown as a card. JSTOP did reflect two instances of "Phone" were running as background apps, but I couldn't terminate them.

MetaDoctor File for my Unlocked Pre2 with Sprint comm board was created in early January using this script ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0

I didn't have time to use it until this past weeekend and the first MetaDoctor run led to the Phone App issue described above.

Thinking there were some lingering issues because of not erasing the /media/internal partition, I then ran a "Full Erase" (which never completed -- Phone was constantly glowing at the HP logo for 30-40 minutes, never rebooted).

Pulled battery and Ran MetaDoctor 2.1.0 a 2nd time. After profile log-in I ran "Full Erase" again, just to be safe. Erased USB and rebooted fine this time. Ran through my reinstall process (Apps --> Mail & Cal Accounts --> Turn Off UpdateDaemon -->USB partition files ---> Preware ---> SaveRestore --->HB Apps and patches --> "Other" accounts: Facebook and LinkedIn), each time checking the phone app along the way and didn't notice any issues until after the last step: Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.)

Finally, ran "Full Erase" again -- same as before it did not complete. This time, I installed MetaDoctor 2.1.0 again and so far so good. (~24 hours later). I have yet to add LinkedIn or Facebook accounts... The only other thing I did differently was to delete some unused App Cat / HB apps and a few less important patches. Not that I suspected any of these things could be responsible, mainly, I just figured I'd do some early spring cleaning.

I really don't need any help, since I appear to be working just fine -- using the same MetaDoctor file as before, but I thought I'd post my experiences here in case this ever happens to someone else. In case I ever need to Dr again, I'm happy to hear any ideas about what might have caused this or potential steps to take if it does.
    How could I find someone to help me? I'm not experienced at all but want my pre2 to work on sprint. I've changed the com board so at least I can make calls. I have no idea how to do any of this stuff. I've been stuggling with ubuntu and scripts, java and jar files for a day or two and am just frustrated.

Thanks.

Doug
    901-230-4498
    I get that the cdnetworks.net failed, name not known, plse run script again. I've tried it about 5 times. I am running ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4. I'm not sure how to know if someone replies here or not. I"ve posted 3 times about help but either nobody replies or I don't know how to find a reply.

Doug
    901-230-4498
    dougsaleeby@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Thanks Rod. Could you please clarify, whether I need the 'dot' before 'scripts'. Reason I ask is, I tried it with the 'dot' as you have typed it, with the following results:
    sanjay@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ .scripts/meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3
    bash: .scripts/meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3: No such file or directory

I then tried it without the 'dot' and I got the following results:
    sanjay@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ scripts/meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3
    DEVICE = pre3
    CARRIER = att
    VERSION = 2.2.3
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3/webosdoctorp223mantaatt-2.2.3.jar

--2011-11-03 05:57:47-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/manta...220mantawr.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... 174.35.82.9
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net|174.35.82.9|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 233622874 (223M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `downloads/webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar'

100%[======================================>] 233,622,874 340K/s in 10m 39s

2011-11-03 06:08:27 (357 KB/s) - `downloads/webosdoctorp220manta-wr-2.2.0.jar' saved [233622874/233622874]

--2011-11-03 06:08:27-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/manta...23mantaatt.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net'
    webosdoctorp223mantaatt-2.2.3.jar did not download properly. Please run this script again.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also, how do I find and edit the 'Makefile' to be able to make a few changes, such as enabling wifi profiles, enabling developer mode and also how would I go about adding Preware and Skype IPKs?

Thanks.

EDIT: I figured out how to open 'Makefile' with the text editor in Ubuntu.
    You bolded the wrong error message.

wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net' is the pertinent error. Make sure you have a stable network connection when running the Meta-Doctor. The safety-checks are engaging and stopping you from proceeding with corrupted inputs.

-- Rod
    Rod, I've tried to run mine 5 times and always get the "palm.cdnetworks.net failed" but not sure what you mean by a stable network or whatever it is that stopping me. I am not experienced in any of this, total duck out of water, Just want my pre2 to work on sprint.

Don't really know how to know if someone replies to me here.

Doug
    dougsaleeby@yahoo.com
  18.    #698  
    HP changed the doctor download locations. All the scripts will need to be updated.

Update: I've updated all the scripts. Re-download the doctor to get them.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/14/2012 at 06:42 PM.
    HP changed the doctor download locations. All the scripts will need to be updated.

Update: I've updated all the scripts. Re-download the doctor to get them.

-- Rod
    Rod, I really appreciate your help. Hate to tell you but I am so inexperienced I don't really know how to get the script from the script folder and run it correctly. I did get it and I ran the script but I still don't have a builds folder, so could you give me more instruction? I got it from git clone git://github.com/webos-internals/meta-doctor.git so maybe I didn't get the correct one. I kept working with it and pasted all your script into my terminal and it did work for me, I think I'm in good shape. If I donate, do you get the money? You da man!

Thanks.

Doug
    Last edited by MemphiDoug; 07/15/2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: kept working with it til I figured it out
    I have both a pre+ and a pre2, and don't mind experimenting, but is there an easy way (without actually doctoring) for me to find out what the differences are between the following builds? What is the difference between a meta and test script or a super and a test script? Is one prefered? Is one more feature rich? Is one more stripped down?

test-verizon-preplus-2.1.0 and meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0
    test-verizon-preplus-2.2.4 and super-verizon-preplus-2.2.4
    test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4 and super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4

Thanks,
    Mike