Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 724
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #661  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    --2011-11-03 06:08:27-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/manta...23mantaatt.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net'
    webosdoctorp223mantaatt-2.2.3.jar did not download properly. Please run this script again.
    You bolded the wrong error message.

    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net' is the pertinent error. Make sure you have a stable network connection when running the Meta-Doctor. The safety-checks are engaging and stopping you from proceeding with corrupted inputs.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #662  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is not what I wrote in my post.

    If you do not follow instructions precisely using the meta-doctor, you will end up with things that will cause your phone not to boot. I suggest triple-checking the commands you type, and ensuring you research everything about what you are typing and understanding what you are typing before running them, rather than just parroting blindly (which will end in tears).

    -- Rod
    Thanks for your help and I did catch my very silly oversight. Not having slept the whole night, is not helping much. Anyhow, thanks to you, I have my first Meta doctor ready and installed with no issues as such. I have to now just get the wifi profiles working and of course, have to figure out how to add Preware to the meta-doctor and to replace the HP logo with the Palm logo during boot-up.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3.    #663  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Thanks for your help and I did catch my very silly oversight. Not having slept the whole night, is not helping much.
    You do not want to be meta-doctoring your device on no sleep. Seriously.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #664  
    I recently created a Sprint Franken Verizon Pre2 and am loving the hardware and software upgrade over my Pre-

    in doing the conversion, I created a meta-doctor running the appropriate script:
    ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.1.0

    however, I had read something elsewhere that made it sound like I didn't need to use a meta-doctor and that using the VZ 2.1 doctor would work in completing the conversion.. so I decided to go that route...

    in doing so, I recognized that I was taking a risk in diverging from the WebOS Internals detailed instructions and was putting the conversion and my device at risk...

    fortunately for me, in this case, it seems to have turned out ok-- I have a VZ Pre2 running on the Sprint network and everything seems to be working great...

    so I was wondering, what are the pros and cons of using the VZ 2.1 doctor instead of the appropriate meta-doctor?

    thanks so much to Rod and the WebOS Internals team for all the improvements you have made to WebOS!
  5. #665  
    I have now completed my 2nd Sprint Pre2 conversion without issue using ROW Pre2s for both. Both Sprint Pre2s are running great. First was in June and the latest was this past weekend.

    For my first one, I didn't first MetaDr the ROW Pre2 first to offload its Tokens. For my most recent one, I did. I mention this here for completeness based on my question, but I am guessing it technically might not matter since I did not change any of the tokens in the metadoctor for the Sprint FrankenPre2.

    Anyway, my question is related to using the left over parts (Old Sprint Pre- and Verizon Pre+ shells with ROW Comm Boards in them.... What MetaDoctor should I run on these to hopefully get them to be working wifi-only webos devices?

    In my prior conversions, (Pre- to Pre+) the 'leftover' devices just worked once reassembled. In both of my Pre2 conversions, once reassembled, the phones operate (without a carrier symbol in the upper left of course), but they WILL NOT CHARGE either on a touchstone or by usb cable from the wall.

    I have to assume this has something to do with the BATToCH and / or BATToRSP tokens being out of spec for the ROW comm board in the device, but I only have a guess about how to fix it:

    My guess is to run a webos 1.4.5 doctor (with bypass carrier check, first use, etc...) and editing the roadrunner.xml to overwrite the two BATT tokens with ones from the ROW Pre2 devices? Anyone else been through this before who can shed some light on my guess?
    Last edited by greenawayj; 11/07/2011 at 01:29 PM.
  6. #666  
    Can someone please tell me how I can include Preware, Save/Restore etc. in my Meta-Doctor? Also, how can I replace the HP boot logo with that of Palm in the meta-doctor? Thanks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  7.    #667  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I have now completed my 2nd Sprint Pre2 conversion without issue using ROW Pre2s for both. Both Sprint Pre2s are running great. First was in June and the latest was this past weekend.

    For my first one, I didn't first MetaDr the ROW Pre2 first to offload its Tokens. For my most recent one, I did. I mention this here for completeness based on my question, but I am guessing it technically might not matter since I did not change any of the tokens in the metadoctor for the Sprint FrankenPre2.

    Anyway, my question is related to using the left over parts (Old Sprint Pre- and Verizon Pre+ shells with ROW Comm Boards in them.... What MetaDoctor should I run on these to hopefully get them to be working wifi-only webos devices?

    In my prior conversions, (Pre- to Pre+) the 'leftover' devices just worked once reassembled. In both of my Pre2 conversions, once reassembled, the phones operate (without a carrier symbol in the upper left of course), but they WILL NOT CHARGE either on a touchstone or by usb cable from the wall.

    I have to assume this has something to do with the BATToCH and / or BATToRSP tokens being out of spec for the ROW comm board in the device, but I only have a guess about how to fix it:

    My guess is to run a webos 1.4.5 doctor (with bypass carrier check, first use, etc...) and editing the roadrunner.xml to overwrite the two BATT tokens with ones from the ROW Pre2 devices? Anyone else been through this before who can shed some light on my guess?
    The battery authentication tokens are not device-specific, but they do need to be correct and copied as a pair.

    Never copy them manually - use the Show Properties app.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. #668  
    webOS Meta Doctor fails during md5sum on Mac OS X due to OS X not including md5sum by default. Instead, md5 -r can be used for OS X machines. Perhaps add that when detecting darwin or make it a default if it's the same across other systems. Worked for me and built a webOS 3.0.4 metadoctor for my wifi TouchPad.
  9.    #669  
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    webOS Meta Doctor fails during md5sum on Mac OS X due to OS X not including md5sum by default. Instead, md5 -r can be used for OS X machines. Perhaps add that when detecting darwin or make it a default if it's the same across other systems. Worked for me and built a webOS 3.0.4 metadoctor for my wifi TouchPad.
    Sounds like you didn't install the prerequisites listed in the Meta-Doctor wiki page.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #670  
    I'd rather not install MacPorts on my machine and just replacing md5sum with md5 -r does a treat for me. Just to avoid having to edit the makefile again, I've installed md5sha1sum via Homebrew.
  11.    #671  
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    I'd rather not install MacPorts on my machine and just replacing md5sum with md5 -r does a treat for me.
    What about the other setup prequisites listed? gnutar, git-core, wget, gpatch ?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #672  
    I've already got those set up for some of my other stuff in the iOS world. Although OS X with Xcode already provides tar, git, and patch. wget is the only thing missing, but I didnt have a problem with that, just md5sum.
  13.    #673  
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    I've already got those set up for some of my other stuff in the iOS world. Although OS X with Xcode already provides tar, git, and patch. wget is the only thing missing, but I didnt have a problem with that, just md5sum.
    Yeah, looks like I already replaced wget with curl.

    Try the latest version I just pushed.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #674  
    Worked perfectly. Thanks for the update, rids the rest of the macports requirements.
  15. #675  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The battery authentication tokens are not device-specific, but they do need to be correct and copied as a pair.

    Never copy them manually - use the Show Properties app.

    -- Rod
    Thanks Rod. So far, I haven't yet tried to copy any tokens to these 'leftover' devices -- I'm surprised I had to at all since other devices seem to work without any token changes at all. What seems weird to me I guess is that the Pre2 (with Sprint CDMA radio) charges just fine without any Tokens work, but the Pre+ and Pre- with 'leftover' RoW GSM radios inserted wont' charge?

    But, in the past when I had to do 'token work' for my Pre- to Pre+ conversion and Pre+ (1.4.5) to Pre+ (2.1.) , I definitely always used the Show Properties app to email the token values to ensure there were no typos.


    Also, do you have any advice on which MetaDoctor to use as a base for this wifi-only device since it will be either sprint pre- or VZW Pre+ combined with a ROW comm board (but always used wifi only and will never connect to a gsm network)? Either way, I know I will have to change the xml file BATT_* tokens to the ones originally occupying one of my original RoW Pre2s)

    Finally, do the 'old' instructions still exist anywhere? (the ones WITH the process to make unpack -- edit the .xml file with token overwrite commands -- patch pack) I've done it 3 or 4 times, but don't remember it by heart and it seems that they have been removed from the original posts from back in the Feb-March timeframe when I last used that process.-- at least I couldn't find them in a pretty thorough search just now.

    None of this is a huge deal since I have two working Pre2s on Sprint, but my 3 year old has begun to grab our phones to play games or watch (educational) videos and I'd like to get one of the 'leftover' devices set up for him to play with! Thanks again for the help.

    On a side note, one major positive outcome of doing this several times is that I now have one of my laptops running Linux full time and I kind of like it ;-)

    JG
  16.    #676  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Thanks Rod. So far, I haven't yet tried to copy any tokens to these 'leftover' devices -- I'm surprised I had to at all since other devices seem to work without any token changes at all. What seems weird to me I guess is that the Pre2 (with Sprint CDMA radio) charges just fine without any Tokens work, but the Pre+ and Pre- with 'leftover' RoW GSM radios inserted wont' charge?

    But, in the past when I had to do 'token work' for my Pre- to Pre+ conversion and Pre+ (1.4.5) to Pre+ (2.1.) , I definitely always used the Show Properties app to email the token values to ensure there were no typos.


    Also, do you have any advice on which MetaDoctor to use as a base for this wifi-only device since it will be either sprint pre- or VZW Pre+ combined with a ROW comm board (but always used wifi only and will never connect to a gsm network)? Either way, I know I will have to change the xml file BATT_* tokens to the ones originally occupying one of my original RoW Pre2s)

    Finally, do the 'old' instructions still exist anywhere? (the ones WITH the process to make unpack -- edit the .xml file with token overwrite commands -- patch pack) I've done it 3 or 4 times, but don't remember it by heart and it seems that they have been removed from the original posts from back in the Feb-March timeframe when I last used that process.-- at least I couldn't find them in a pretty thorough search just now.

    None of this is a huge deal since I have two working Pre2s on Sprint, but my 3 year old has begun to grab our phones to play games or watch (educational) videos and I'd like to get one of the 'leftover' devices set up for him to play with! Thanks again for the help.

    On a side note, one major positive outcome of doing this several times is that I now have one of my laptops running Linux full time and I kind of like it ;-)

    JG
    You could try ./scripts/meta-wr-franken-sprint-pre-2.1.0

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #677  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ./scripts/meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3

    -- Rod
    Thought it might be worth mentioning that my experience with this script did not result with H+ data, only E and 3G worked. Ran the regular ATT 2.2.3 dr and H+ returned on 2 separate Pre 3 devices. I have no idea how or what would be missing to prevent H+ from working. Maybe you could explain a little here in this thread or provide a link to info on this script and exactly what it does. Thanks for all you do Rod. I wouldn't have stuck it out this long without you ;-)
  18.    #678  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Thought it might be worth mentioning that my experience with this script did not result with H+ data, only E and 3G worked. Ran the regular ATT 2.2.3 dr and H+ returned on 2 separate Pre 3 devices. I have no idea how or what would be missing to prevent H+ from working. Maybe you could explain a little here in this thread or provide a link to info on this script and exactly what it does. Thanks for all you do Rod. I wouldn't have stuck it out this long without you ;-)
    I suspect what you experienced was the lack of a H+ icon, not the lack of H+ functionality. The lack of a H+ icon is expected, and does not reflect any lowering of your phone network speed. The WR image simply doesn't have a H+ icon image and shows the normal 3G icon instead.

    Do some network throughput tests with both setups to prove it one way or the other.

    -- Rod
  19. #679  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I suspect what you experienced was the lack of a H+ icon, not the lack of H+ functionality. The lack of a H+ icon is expected, and does not reflect any lowering of your phone network speed. The WR image simply doesn't have a H+ icon image and shows the normal 3G icon instead.

    Do some network throughput tests with both setups to prove it one way or the other.

    -- Rod
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation. The H+ is purely cosmetic and the 3G is the default icon for the WR version baked into that metadr script. Speed tests are identical for both versions.
  20. #680  
    I am trying to get rid of the AT&T junk on my AT&T Veer. For this I used the 'meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1' script.

    1. How does one know that the script is finished running? The process seems to get stuck for a long time on "INFO: device runner done". But if I try to close the terminal window, I get a message stating that a process is still running. Why does the script seemingly get stuck?

    2. After the script is finished, it does not automatically run the metadoctor. This does not seem to be normal. What could be causing this? I have even tried running the newly compiled meta-doctor manually, but I end up getting the following error:
    "The file '/home/sanjay/meta-doctor/build/meta-att-veer-impersonate-wr-2.1.1/webosdoctorp160una-wr-2.1.1.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

    3. How do I mark the metadoctor jar file as executable?

    Thanks.

    PS: Please ignore # 3. I changed the settings in the properties to make the file executable and am now running the meta-doctor. Hopefully all will be fine.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 11/20/2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad

Posting Permissions