Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've checked this in as the new version of the meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0 script.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Cool, thanks!
    Just a quick observation, I just deleted my meta-doctor directory and recloned it and the script is not executable, not sure if it just takes some time for all that to update or if something needs to be changed with it.
  2.    #622  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpl View Post
    Cool, thanks!
    Just a quick observation, I just deleted my meta-doctor directory and recloned it and the script is not executable, not sure if it just takes some time for all that to update or if something needs to be changed with it.
    Thanks, fixed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    No idea if this has been asked, and my google skills maybe are lacking, but how do we get metadoctor to work with the palm os emulator? If thats even possible? Want to run the chroot ubuntu (and maybe other stuff?) on the emulator.
  4.    #624  
    You cannot install an arm chroot on an i686 emulator.

-- Rod
    ahh, i see, i misunderstood what this emulator is then, half asleep i guess, I thought this was an emulator that if I cross compiled arm binaries for I could test it on. So only way would be to transfer to the physical webos device itself?

apart from using qemu-system-arm, which is slow as rocks...

(and thanks for quick response)
    Last edited by grazzt; 09/03/2011 at 07:49 AM.
    I have the gsm unlocked pre2 on t-mobile and the blog post makes no mention as to what carrier string I should use. Can anyone help?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    This may all be covered elsewhere, and if it is I apologize -- I could not find it and would appreciate a link to the information.

I'm one of those zillion new TouchPad owners; I've been running Linux for about 15 years. In that WebOS appears basically to be a hack of Linux, and in that I've already spent numerous hours configuring my TouchPad and would just as soon progress non-destructively, I'm hoping to avoid the MetaDoctor route (unless it now preserves all that is on the machine) and am curious as to some things:

-- is there no way via USB simply to mount the TouchPad and, using existing nondestructive partitioning tools, simply increasing the size of the /var directory (what would we want to put there, anyway -- is this where the whole Linux installation would reside?) and create the /media/ext3 partition? what is the filesystem structure involved?

-- is the result a mounted drive whence linux apps run under the WebOS desktop, or is it a dual-boot kind of thing? If it's the former, is there any interoperability among apps -- if I were to install LibreOffice, would I be able to cut and paste from the native apps? Is there any ability to share local files -- let's say I installed LibreOffice and got it working usefully, could I save files locally and then email them with the native email application?

-- what is the impediment to native Linux apps running? Is it an architecture issue (in which case, how does creating partitions for Linux make them any more likely to run) or is it something like X?

-- does the system created via use of MetaDoctor include a new and different Linux kernel, or does it run off the existing kernel (or, in the case of my machine, the Uberkernel)?

-- is there something magical about the 2-gig partition sizes I've seen mentioned? I have the 32-gig machine, and I was supposing larger partitions for Linux apps, which would be informed by what gets put where -- in the /var and the /media/ext3 partitions -- where, for instance, applications will reside. (Var? why else a 2-gig partition for it?) in that Linux can pretty happily read and write VFAT, i'd be surprised if the data would need to go onto the ext3 partition, though.

I guess, basically, that what I'm saying is that the whole process seems a little draconian unless something very fundamental is going on. In that much of the WebOSDoctor thing is to do with telephones, and telephony isn't involved in the TouchPad, there might be a simpler recipe someplace. Is there? Alternately, how much of my configuration will get nuked by running MetaDoctor thereon?

Is this discussed anyplace I can find?

Thanks and, again, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask; I've looked and have not found the right place.

depscribe
  8.    #628  
    Quote Originally Posted by depscribe View Post
    -- is there no way via USB simply to mount the TouchPad and, using existing nondestructive partitioning tools, simply increasing the size of the /var directory (what would we want to put there, anyway -- is this where the whole Linux installation would reside?) and create the /media/ext3 partition? what is the filesystem structure involved?
    What you see via USB is a vfat filesystem, not a parititionable disk.

BTW, you don't want to touch the /var size.

-- is the result a mounted drive whence linux apps run under the WebOS desktop, or is it a dual-boot kind of thing? If it's the former, is there any interoperability among apps -- if I were to install LibreOffice, would I be able to cut and paste from the native apps? Is there any ability to share local files -- let's say I installed LibreOffice and got it working usefully, could I save files locally and then email them with the native email application?
    It's a chroot. There is no cut and paste between the apps running inside the XServer and webOS. You can bind mount directories into the chroot for file access.

-- what is the impediment to native Linux apps running? Is it an architecture issue (in which case, how does creating partitions for Linux make them any more likely to run) or is it something like X?
    ARM architecture, rendering in an XServer running in a webOS card.

-- does the system created via use of MetaDoctor include a new and different Linux kernel, or does it run off the existing kernel (or, in the case of my machine, the Uberkernel)?
    You can use whatever kernel you choose.

-- is there something magical about the 2-gig partition sizes I've seen mentioned? I have the 32-gig machine, and I was supposing larger partitions for Linux apps, which would be informed by what gets put where -- in the /var and the /media/ext3 partitions -- where, for instance, applications will reside. (Var? why else a 2-gig partition for it?) in that Linux can pretty happily read and write VFAT, i'd be surprised if the data would need to go onto the ext3 partition, though.
    You can use whatever partition size you choose. Don't touch /var size. You can bind mount the vfat partition into the chroot if you choose.

I guess, basically, that what I'm saying is that the whole process seems a little draconian unless something very fundamental is going on. In that much of the WebOSDoctor thing is to do with telephones, and telephony isn't involved in the TouchPad, there might be a simpler recipe someplace. Is there? Alternately, how much of my configuration will get nuked by running MetaDoctor thereon?
    The process is written for folks who are not LVM experts. If you are an LVM expert, you can do everything without using the Meta-Doctor. We are not going to waste our precious development time teaching folks how to be LVM experts or helping them clean up the mess when they make a typo on the lvmreduce command.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I can only imagine with all the new TouchPad users in the world now, this is a question-rich environment, and I thank you for your reply. (I'll not even ask about getting OS/2 to run on it . . .)

Alas, I'm not a lvm expert, or perhaps halleluja, I'm not a lvm expert. Just considering various possibilities; I presume that the advantage of the method you've described over making a disk image file is that in the latter there's no way to move files in and out -- for the Linux machine to visit the VFAT directories, right?

Do we know why X applications ported to ARM won't run? I'm given to understand that this is what Optware has done, except for Xserver connection. Isn't the TouchPad GUI based on X?

I dunno -- obviously -- but it seems to me it ought to be a lot easier to bring a world of Linux applications over to run natively.

Oh well -- speculating now, which isn't a good expenditure of anyone's time!

Thanks again.

depscribe
  10.    #630  
    TouchPad GUI is not based on X.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Am I correct in assuming that meta doctor pretty much wipes the system, such that apps, data, configurations, and so on would be lost?
  12.    #632  
    Am I correct in assuming that meta doctor pretty much wipes the system, such that apps, data, configurations, and so on would be lost?
    Yes.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Rod, (or any one from the HB team). Do you have any plans on making a 2.2 version of the Meta-Doctor available to people with the pre2? Especially those of us stuck on Verizon. Being as they just released the 2.1 doctor, I highly doubt they'll release the 2.2 version any time soon, if ever. Thanks again for everything you guys do. :-)
  14.    #634  
    Quote Originally Posted by tayswg20 View Post
    Rod, (or any one from the HB team). Do you have any plans on making a 2.2 version of the Meta-Doctor available to people with the pre2? Especially those of us stuck on Verizon. Being as they just released the 2.1 doctor, I highly doubt they'll release the 2.2 version any time soon, if ever. Thanks again for everything you guys do. :-)
    Since the kernel is different ("roadrunner" OMAP vs "rib" SnapDragon), it will not be trivial to do that, and may not work at all. But yes, we'll try it at some point once things calm down again.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/08/2011 at 10:53 PM.
    Since the kernel is different (roadrunner OMAP vs tenderloin SnapDragon), it will not be trivial to do that, and may not work at all. But yes, we'll try it at some point once things calm down again.

-- Rod
    Shouldn't the apps be compatible though? It's still ARM, yes? I'll have a Pre+ that's not activated soon (just ordered a Pre2 off eBay) to test with if you're looking for a guinea pig.

Also - is there anything other than the Wiki that shows what's going on in the meta-doctor process? There's a small possibility that I could find time to fiddle with it myself and see if any of the apps or services can be cajoled into working on the older architecture.
  16.    #636  
    Use The Source, Luke.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Since the kernel is different (roadrunner OMAP vs tenderloin SnapDragon), it will not be trivial to do that, and may not work at all. But yes, we'll try it at some point once things calm down again.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate that you take the time to answer complete strangers questions, daily, with courtesy and politeness.
    The Veer uses a Snapdragon though, right?
  19.    #639  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The Veer uses a Snapdragon though, right?
    It's a "broadway" board vs a "rib" board for a Pre 3. But yes, it's closer than an OMAP.

-- Rod
    I have created a patch to enable building with alpha and beta feeds.