Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Im thinking about doing this procedure as I am over my 100mb freespace limit for Fairdinkum to work. I wanted to see what the longterm is though.

I assume that if Palm fixes this in an update soon that I would have to revert back to factory settings before doing the update? Would the remove be basically the same as the install?
    Not necessarily. In fact I'd be willing to bet no, once you do this update, you are basically refreshing your phone to factory specs but with a bigger /var partition and smaller /media partition. Only thing that would ever be an issue is if they send out an update that resizes the partitions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this is the case.

Again, this is for making a custom webdoctor image. When you webdoctor it reformats your phone essentially.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Im thinking about doing this procedure as I am over my 100mb freespace limit for Fairdinkum to work. I wanted to see what the longterm is though.

I assume that if Palm fixes this in an update soon that I would have to revert back to factory settings before doing the update? Would the remove be basically the same as the install?
    Meta-Doctor requires you to create and run a modified version of the webOS Doctor, with everything that running the webOS Doctor entails.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    how will this react to ubuntu in a vmworkstation env?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    how will this react to ubuntu in a vmworkstation env?
    I personally run it in ubuntu 8.04 server under virtualbox (same as the palm emulator) on a Mac.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    just wanna make sure that if i do this on a recently bought german pre it will actually by pass the activation right?

--moe
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    Hi Folks,

ok - I think this is a step by step guide...

Getting Ready
    --------------------
    1) Download Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine for vmware (I used the desktop version)
    2) at the terminal , type
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    (if necessary, follow the instructions to install git)
    3) make sure you have patch. Type patch at the command line, and if necessary follow instructions to download it
    4) install java (applications/add remove/show: all available applications/java 6 runtime)
    5) install the palm sdk (actually you only need the novacmd part). Instructions at developer.palm.com
    6) download the rom jar to the /meta-doctor/downloads folder
    rename download to webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.2.0.jar
    check you have the right one using this page Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Doing it
    -----------
    5) navigate to the meta-doctor directory in the terminal and type
    make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch pack
    6) updated version will be in the build/pre... folder
    7) make sure palm is connected to your virtual machine (check the VMWare menu)
    8) run it with java -jar webosdoctor...

rWhitby - You Rock!
    Thanks! great how to!... You should add it to the Webosinternals.org wiki
    MatterOfFactJack
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsoul View Post
    just wanna make sure that if i do this on a recently bought german pre it will actually by pass the activation right?

--moe
    There is no way of knowing until someone tries it.

It definitely should allow the wifi connection to be configured before the First Use application is run ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    Hi Folks,

ok - I think this is a step by step guide...

Getting Ready
    --------------------
    1) Download Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine for vmware (I used the desktop version)
    2) at the terminal , type
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    (if necessary, follow the instructions to install git)
    3) make sure you have patch. Type patch at the command line, and if necessary follow instructions to download it
    4) install java (applications/add remove/show: all available applications/java 6 runtime)
    5) install the palm sdk (actually you only need the novacmd part). Instructions at developer.palm.com
    6) download the rom jar to the /meta-doctor/downloads folder
    rename download to webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.2.0.jar
    check you have the right one using this page Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Doing it
    -----------

rWhitby - You Rock!
    hi thanks for the tutorial
    i installed ubuntu and Vbox everthing is working fine but when i type patch
    in terminal after installing git nothing happens?
    This highly interesting. It's amazing what you can do with these little divices.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is no way of knowing until someone tries it.

It definitely should allow the wifi connection to be configured before the First Use application is run ...

-- Rod
    I tried. IT WORKS

that is, activation is bypassed and I have access to all the settings and apps

however as it is an Irish Pre, it is sim locked and I do not have access to the phone

I can use wifi for web browsing, messaging etc but I cannot create a palm profile ('profile cannot be created please contact palm') and the updates app reports in cannot connect ('try again later')

morgmel
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    I tried. IT WORKS

that is, activation is bypassed and I have access to all the settings and apps

however as it is an Irish Pre, it is sim locked and I do not have access to the phone

I can use wifi for web browsing, messaging etc but I cannot create a palm profile ('profile cannot be created please contact palm') and the updates app reports in cannot connect ('try again later')

morgmel
    OK, so the Meta-Doctor works as advertised. It is not a carrier unlocking tool (that's between you and your carrier's Terms of Service).

Thanks for reporting the success. At least now you can ssh into the device and work on the other problem

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/17/2009 at 04:18 PM.
    im so stuck. i installed linux mint and im am trying to follow the instructions but i am so lost. as of now i have the webosdr 1.2.1 and the meta doctor folder with the patch folder and the make file ect.. but i do not understand how to do the operation . any help would be greatly appreciated
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    im so stuck. i installed linux mint and im am trying to follow the instructions but i am so lost. as of now i have the webosdr 1.2.1 and the meta doctor folder with the patch folder and the make file ect.. but i do not understand how to do the operation . any help would be greatly appreciated
    The post four above your has the instructions, starting with installing Ubuntu.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    i got everything ready , i complied the meta-doctor did the instructions and waited for my pre to come so i can hack cos i knew it wont pass the activation.
    my pre came i put my sim in it, turn it on, and its working no problem at all.
    i wanted to test this for the community, but im sorry
    Joetemp i am new to this as well it took me a while but i got to work
    so what you need to do now is this
    Doing it
    -----------

before typing make CARRIER.......
    in terminal type
    cd /home/uruser/meta-doctor

the rest is self-explanatory
    if you need help please let know

and by the way i ****ing love the pre
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    by the way uruser= the username you chose
    ****in finally thanks for the help deadsoul and thanks for the tool rod
    one more nooby ? since the var is partitioned do i still need to apply the patch to install more apps
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    one more nooby ? since the var is partitioned do i still need to apply the patch to install more apps
    You will still need to install Fair Dinkum App Limit to remove the first 64MiB installed apps limit. You will no longer need to worry about the second 100MiB free space limit.

-- Rod
    alright cool thanks for all your work and patience with me
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsoul View Post

--moe
    Hi,

I got myself a german pre and used meta-doctor and it worked like a charm. It bypassed the profile creation and I had access to the pre...yeah. I then configured my wi-fi connection and hooray, I could create a palm profile.

Via the wi-fi connection I can browse the net and do e-mail, youtube etc. etc. I can make and receive calls. Everything seems to work perfectly.

I have only one problem, or maybe I'm doing something wrong or I don't know what I'm doing (). I'm trying to setup GPRS/HSDPA to connect to my mobile provider. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast