Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    @Rod

anything new on the meta-doctor genetics front? I'm willing to help
    It's already implemented by the "make backup" target and the CUSTOM_ROOT_PARTITION, CUSTOM_VAR_PARTITION and CLONE variables.

It has been there for some weeks now.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    oh, i was under the impression that you were going to make various patches able to be built into the doctor; thanks for the clarification
  3.    #383  
    oh, i was under the impression that you were going to make various patches able to be built into the doctor; thanks for the clarification
    It does create a doctor which includes the backed up information.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It does create a doctor which includes the backed up information.

-- Rod
    cool, didn't realize that, last documentation i remember reading was from this post earlier in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/2501430-post332.html

Is there any documentation on how to go about building a backup doctor? The instructions in your previous post result in a .tar.gz file and there isn't any updated documentation on the webOS internals page. TIA
  5.    #385  
    cool, didn't realize that, last documentation i remember reading was from this post earlier in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/2501430-post332.html

Is there any documentation on how to go about building a backup doctor? The instructions in your previous post result in a .tar.gz file and there isn't any updated documentation on the webOS internals page. TIA
    The backup target will create files under the clone directory. Take note of the directory name (it will be a hexadecimal number, which is the first 8 digits of your nduid).

Put that number in the CLONE variable, and set the CUSTOM_ROOT_PARTITION and CUSTOM_VAR_PARTITION variables.

Note that you will be alpha testing this, so make sure you test it on a device on which you don't care if it wipes everything and fails to restore it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hmm... I've been waiting to test this out.

Hopefully I'll find some time later tonight.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    should the device be in usb mode?

or do i need to be in a specific directory when i run the

make CARRIER=verizonwireless memboot backup

command?

I tried running this command with the device in charging mode and terminal in the meta-doctor directory, and got the following error:

*long boring code removed*
    Last edited by mhous33; 07/21/2010 at 02:49 AM.
  8.    #388  
    should the device be in usb mode?

or do i need to be in a specific directory when i run the

make CARRIER=verizonwireless memboot backup

command?

I tried running this command with the device in charging mode and terminal in the meta-doctor directory, and got the following error:

novacom -w run file://sbin/tellbootie recover || true
    /bin/sh: novacom: not found
    novacom -w boot mem:// < build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-installer-image-pixie.uImage
    /bin/sh: novacom: not found
    make: *** [memboot] Error 127
    You need a working novacom command in your path, from the Palm SDK.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    You need a working novacom command in your path, from the Palm SDK.

-- Rod
    thanks, that's what i guessed from the error message but couldn't figure out how it could have become uninstalled as it was working fine; recently switched to ubuntu as my primary os & thinking maybe running computer janitor wiped it out? anyway seems to be working now

just finished the backup...
  10.    #390  
    thanks, that's what i guessed from the error message but couldn't figure out how it could have become uninstalled as it was working fine; recently switched to ubuntu as my primary os & thinking maybe running computer janitor wiped it out? anyway seems to be working now

just finished the backup...
    Don't forget that you are bleeding edge alpha testing if you attempt a restore. I would restore to a different device if possible first.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Don't forget that you are bleeding edge alpha testing if you attempt a restore. I would restore to a different device if possible first.

-- Rod
    thanks for the warning, all my vital stuff syncs through google & everything else i need is backed up

on my version of meta-doctor that is less than 2 weeks old, the CLONE, CUSTOM_ROOT_PARTITION, and CUSTOM_VAR_PARTITION exist below the part that is supposed to be modified by the end user; i enabled all 3 of the above variables and set CLONE to the same number as the folder in the clones directory and saved, then ran

make DEVICE=pixiplus all-verizonwireless

from the meta-doctor directory; seems to have worked without a hitch; how can i verify that the doctor contains the info from the memboot backup?
  12.    #392  
    thanks for the warning, all my vital stuff syncs through google & everything else i need is backed up

on my version of meta-doctor that is less than 2 weeks old, the CLONE, CUSTOM_ROOT_PARTITION, and CUSTOM_VAR_PARTITION exist below the part that is supposed to be modified by the end user; i enabled all 3 of the above variables and set CLONE to the same number as the folder in the clones directory and saved, then ran

make DEVICE=pixiplus all-verizonwireless

from the meta-doctor directory; seems to have worked without a hitch; how can i verify that the doctor contains the info from the memboot backup?
    Run scripts/unpack-doctor on the file.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i've already manually unpacked the doctor .jar file & haven't seen a trace of my personal stuff anywhere
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    wondering if maybe it didn't work because the variables are under the part of the Makefile where

ifeq (${LOGNAME},rwhitby)

?
  15.    #395  
    wondering if maybe it didn't work because the variables are under the part of the Makefile where

ifeq (${LOGNAME},rwhitby)

?
    Yes, you need to copy them to the section above (they're not up there yet cause they're bleeding edge alpha).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i moved the variables to the end user section and tried again; here is the output from my latest attempt:

any idea why i'm still getting errors? TIA
    Last edited by mhous33; 07/21/2010 at 02:50 AM.
  17.    #397  
    i moved the variables to the end user section and tried again; here is the output from my latest attempt:

make CARRIER=verizonwireless unpack patch pack
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ubuntubox/meta-doctor'
    rm -rf build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1
    mkdir -p build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1
    cp downloads/webosdoctorp121ewwverizonwireless-1.4.1.1.jar build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp121ewwverizonwireless-1.4.1.1.jar
    ( cd build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1 ; \
    unzip -q webosdoctorp121ewwverizonwireless-1.4.1.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF com/* resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config )
    mkdir -p build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS
    tar -C build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS \
    -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/resources/webOS.tar \
    -x ./nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz \
    ./nova-installer-image-pixie.uImage ./pixie.xml ./installer.xml
    gunzip -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz
    mkdir -p build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/rootfs
    tar -C build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/rootfs \
    -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar \
    -x ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./etc/ssl ./md5sums ./etc/palm-build-info
    touch build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/.unpacked
    mkdir -p downloads
    curl -L -o downloads/jad158e.linux.static.zip [url]
    make[1]: curl: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [downloads/jad158e.linux.static.zip] Error 127
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ubuntubox/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all-verizonwireless] Error 2

any idea why i'm still getting errors? TIA
    Sorry, but that one is obvious from the error message and I believe it's on the wiki page.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Sorry, but that one is obvious from the error message and I believe it's on the wiki page.

-- Rod
    lol it was a simple fix, just went to ubuntu s/w center & searched for curl. didn't understand why i didn't get this error before, probably because the variables weren't being read.
    Here's the latest output, still with errors:

looks like it's not finding the rootfs & varfs .tar.gz packages from the memboot backup for some reason?
    Last edited by mhous33; 07/21/2010 at 02:51 AM.
  19.    #399  
    rm -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz
    ln -s ../../../clones/53b26ca8/nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/
    sed -i.orig -e 's|<File file="${NOVATGZ}" target="/"/>|<File file="${NOVATGZ}" target="/"/>\
    <File file="${USERTGZ}" target="/var"/>|' \
    build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/pixie.xml
    rm -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/pixie.xml.orig
    rm -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-pixie.varfs.tar.gz
    ln -s ../../../clones/53b26ca8/nova-cust-image-pixie.varfs.tar.gz build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS/
    tar -C build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS \
    -f build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/resources/webOS.tar \
    --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 -h \
    --append ./nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz ./nova-cust-image-pixie.varfs.tar.gz ./pixie.xml ./installer.xml
    tar: ./nova-cust-image-pixie.rootfs.tar.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ./nova-cust-image-pixie.varfs.tar.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    make[1]: *** [build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/.packed] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ubuntubox/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all-verizonwireless] Error 2

looks like it's not finding the rootfs & varfs .tar.gz packages from the memboot backup for some reason?
    what's the output of:

ls -l clones/53b26ca8
    ls -l build/build/pixiplus-p121eww-verizonwireless-1.4.1.1/webOS

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Last edited by mhous33; 07/21/2010 at 02:51 AM.