Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    So I could meta-doctor the at&t 1.4.2 webOS Doctor, removing carrier check and model check, and use it on my verizon pixi? I thought this might be possible but haven't seen anyone posting about it...
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

-- Rod
    Not sure i want to, just wondering if it's possible. The only reason i might want to do this is so i can run the latest build; isn't this an example of what you mentioned in your previous post?
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    Not sure i want to, just wondering if it's possible. The only reason i might want to do this is so i can run the latest build; isn't this an example of what you mentioned in your previous post?
    It is. But unless you have a specific, understood and clear reason to run a release that is not designed for the device you have, you shouldn't. That's the in the same category as installing a package before reading the Homepage link in Preware ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clarification, was considering trying this but was kinda leary since the gsm h/w has at least different radios than the cdma h/w.

Btw, After studying the directory structure of meta-doctor, looks like baking additional patches into the doctor should be possible by adding them to the appropriate directory in 'patches' and then adding entries for them in the makefile, yes?
    mhous...

I do believe that "baking in additional patches" is the intent of the Geneticist.

(1) Use the [Meta-]Doctor to get a fresh build on your Pre.
    (2) Customize the Pre to your liking with patches, apps, themes, whatever.
    (3) Use the Meta-Geneticist to build a customized Meta-Doctor in traditional Doctor format....

This way you can always restore webOS to a previous state... so long as you saved it that way. As long as you get a good save state... you'll potentially save hours and hours and hours. That's the one reason that Palm was so well thought of.... backup on their PDAs was, literally, flawless.
    Hi, this is my first post as i just got a used palm pre plus for Verizon off craigslist.

I can not get past the profile setup page to run *228 and activate the phone. Can this tool help me do this? I dont have access to a linux box till i get back to my apartment in a few days. what options do i have on an os x or windows box? Thanks
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I do believe that "baking in additional patches" is the intent of the Geneticist.
    Awesome! Totally Awesome!

It looks like i followed Rod's advice without realizing it, lol

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    "For those interested in the next lectures that the MetaDoctor is planning to attend, take a look at the decompile and compile targets in the Makefile ..."
    Last edited by mhous33; 06/11/2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabuild View Post
    Hi, this is my first post as i just got a used palm pre plus for Verizon off craigslist.

I can not get past the profile setup page to run *228 and activate the phone. Can this tool help me do this? I dont have access to a linux box till i get back to my apartment in a few days. what options do i have on an os x or windows box? Thanks
    See the 2nd link in my sig.
  9.    #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabuild View Post

Meta-Doctor is actually developed on MacOSX Snow Leopard.

-- Rod
  10.    #350  
    The Meta-Doctor has some new features:

1) AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE

# AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE automatically queues the installation of
    # Preware as soon as a network connection is available after first
    # boot. This feature also installs the preware.org x509 Certification
    # Authority certificate, allowing packages signed by WebOS Internals
    # to be installed via the appInstallService installHistory database.

2) ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION

# ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION adds a spare LVM partition formatted as ext3.
    # This allows space for experimentation that requires an additional
    # ext3 filesytem. The extra space is taken away from the USB drive.

The combination of INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES, AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE, and ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS means that you can flash a new device, and never need to plug it into USB again.

-- Rod
  11. lu
    Hello!

I have a problem, after the build i get two errors: Error 127 and Error 2

Here is the prinscreen:

The combination of INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES, AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE, and ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS means that you can flash a new device, and never need to plug it into USB again.

-- Rod
    That's incredibly intense.

The EVO was making me twitch for a minute with Android Fever... but not anymore.

You're like a machine, Rod. I think you deserve a raise.
  13.    #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by lu View Post
    Hello!

I have a problem, after the build i get two errors: Error 127 and Error 2
    Latest version does not try to download jad unless you're using a custom var partition.

But anyone using this really needs to know how to install the host OS package for a missing command ...

-- Rod
  14. lu
    Sorry, but i don't know nothing about programing & stuff, so i don't really understand what are you trying to tell me. If you could tell me what should i do, to prevent this errors i would be very grateful!
    lu...

Try cleaning the build directory, removing your old Makefile, and update the Meta-Doctor from scratch...

You can do all that by copying & pasting this one line (while in your meta-doctor/ directory):

make clobber; rm Makefile; git pull

Edit the new, updated Makefile one more time... then try to make unpack patch pack
  16. lu
    Ok i've managed to make a build without errors, but when i flash the phone it stops at 82% and says we were unable to reset your phone, but when i turn on the phone after the unsuccessful reset it works normaly. Can i use it the way it is now?
  17.    #357  
    Ok i've managed to make a build without errors, but when i flash the phone it stops at 82% and says we were unable to reset your phone, but when i turn on the phone after the unsuccessful reset it works normaly. Can i use it the way it is now?
    What Doctor URL did you use, and what settings are in your Makefile?

Cut and paste them here.

-- Rod
  18. lu
    What Doctor URL did you use, and what settings are in your Makefile?

Cut and paste them here.

-- Rod
    I used this URL: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...p100ueu-wr.jar

And here are the settings:

# BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    # ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB
  19.    #359  
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    Why do you use this setting?

-- Rod
  20. lu
    I was following meta-doctor guide an bassicly used the same settings that are used there, could this setting be the problem?