Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. fakemirror
    grndslm...
    1) I will probably flash meta-doc 1.4.1.1 and go with that to improve battery life. I am not happy to go preware patching as it seems like to much work on each webOS update.

2) Well, yes, your points re CISCO: CISCO would offer a lot to Palm and the Palm customer base, however I am unsure about what benefits Palm offers for Cisco, besides 'diversity' of product range (into phones).

3) btw...I feel a little naughty in discussing Android here in webos-internals forum, but just few minutes ago I did my first OTA update to Android 2.1. Have to say that the process was silky smooth, and EVERYTHING works (sorry - just had to tell somebody).
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handyd View Post
    ok, I found the problem.

The actually jar file is in the build directory, under the folder of the same file name as the JAR file. The guides didn't point that out.
    i have the same problem, where is the EXACT location of the jar file? i used the jar from the virtual box ubuntu -> Under "home folder-metadoctor-downloads-"
    ... didnt work. where is the file you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by kaichan918 View Post
    i have the same problem, where is the EXACT location of the jar file? i used the jar from the virtual box ubuntu -> Under "home folder-metadoctor-downloads-"
    ... didnt work. where is the file you mentioned
    Have you seen this thread?

After you "make unpack patch pack", you can simply poke around with the "ls" and "cd" commands.

ls - list files/directories
    cd - change directory

You'll eventually find the build directory with the goods.

That guide makes poking even easier if you pay attention to how to use the Tab Completion feature, but you might need to "cd ~/meta-doctor/" in order to start out at the same folder I did.

G'luck!
  4.    #324  
    The Meta-Doctor now has a new feature: INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES

INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES imports a wifi preferences database file from the user's home directory to the device. The device will then be set up to use wifi immediately after the webOS Doctor has completed.

You must already have copied a correctly configured prefsDB.sl file from the /var/preferences/com.palm.wifi/ directory on the device to ~/.ssh/com.palm.wifi.prefsDB.sl on your host machine before enabling this feature, or it will cause a fatal error.

Note that this file contains your wifi passphrases, so you should protect it accordingly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do i update meta-doctor? when i type in the command from the wiki:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

it says the directory already exists. TIA
    mhous...

When you're in the meta-doctor directory with the Makefile...

just run this string of commands at once:

make clobber; rm Makefile; git pull
    ok im so lost i have a palm pre and i need to bypass the profile set up because i do not internet on the phone is there a simple was to do this i have the webos dr but its not locating my palm pre
  8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Well I had a problem with my Pre and it could not be activated so cam eacross this thread. What i don't get is why go through all this trouble when palm has a activation bypass tool. I used it to bypass activation only took a few seconds.

Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center
    1) The Meta-Doctor pre-dates Palm's tool by many months.

2) The Meta-Doctor allows you to use a Palm Profile on the device, and participate in OTA updates over wifi.

3) The Meta-Doctor does a number of other things, such as disabling the upload daemon, installing SSH keys and Wifi profiles, and permanently changing the keyboard layout.

If your needs are covered by the Palm tool, then you should definitely use the Palm tool.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    2) The Meta-Doctor allows you to use a Palm Profile on the device, and participate in OTA updates over wifi.
    Not to mention being able to download paid apps. Not sure how you can do that without a Palm Profile.

3) The Meta-Doctor does a number of other things, such as disabling the upload daemon, installing SSH keys and Wifi profiles, and permanently changing the keyboard layout.
    YAY for Meta-Doctor!!!!

If your needs are covered by the Palm tool, then you should definitely use the Palm tool.
    But yea, it's good Palm's finally got SOME official solution for developers. That took awhile, didn't it?
    Anyone got a fix for this:

Code:
    mick@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ make all-wr
    make CARRIER=wr unpack patch pack
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mick/meta-doctor'
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.1.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make[1]: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp100ueu-wr-1.4.1.jar] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mick/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all-wr] Error 2
    mick@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$
  11.    #331  
    The MetaDoctor is currently studying for a degree in genetics.

So far, it can take a full backup of your device:

1) Make sure developer mode is on, your device is plugged in via USB, and you have enough disk space available (e.g. up to 8GiB or 16Gib)
    2) Close all your apps (your device is going to reboot in steps 3 and 5)
    3) make CARRIER=<carrier> memboot backup
    4) Find your backup in ./clones/<id>/*.tar.gz
    5) make reboot

The <carrier> chosen doesn't matter too much for this process - just choose the one for which you have already downloaded the webOS Doctor and put it in the right place with the right filename.

The <id> is the first 8 characters of the nduid of your device (so it should be different for each device that you backup).

Code:
    bash-3.2$ make CARRIER=wr memboot backup
    novacom -w run file://sbin/tellbootie recover || true
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server
    novacom -w boot mem:// < build/pre-p100ueu-wr-1.4.1/webOS/nova-installer-image-castle.uImage
    Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-var
    Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-root
    Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure 2> /dev/null
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure 2> /dev/null
      6 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-var
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-root
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    Creating backups/c529d34e/store-var.tar.gz
    Total bytes written: 55347200 (53MiB, 3.6MiB/s)
    Creating backups/c529d34e/store-root.tar.gz
    Total bytes written: 376504320 (360MiB, 3.4MiB/s)
    Creating backups/c529d34e/store-media.tar.gz
    Total bytes written: 4924917760 (4.6GiB, 3.6MiB/s)
    bash-3.2$ make reboot
    novacom -w run file://sbin/tellbootie || true
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server
    bash-3.2$
    For those interested in the next lectures that the MetaDoctor is planning to attend, take a look at the decompile and compile targets in the Makefile ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/10/2010 at 08:32 AM.
    So is this the 'holy grail' of backup that I've been waiting for - the equivalent of a disk image, where a restore magically makes things 'just like they were before' whatever disaster happened?

Then I suppose we can get out backup data from Save/Restore and the cloud?
    The MetaDoctor is currently studying for a degree in genetics.

So far, it can take a full backup of your device:

-- Rod
    Rod...

iLoveU++;

Hopefully I'll be able to play with this tonight.

14.    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    So is this the 'holy grail' of backup that I've been waiting for - the equivalent of a disk image, where a restore magically makes things 'just like they were before' whatever disaster happened?

Then I suppose we can get out backup data from Save/Restore and the cloud?
    That is indeed the end-goal that I hope to reach when MetaDoctor completes the genetics degree ...

-- Rod
    Ahh ha...

So, it's only backup capable as of right now? No restore option as of yet?
  16.    #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Ahh ha...

So, it's only backup capable as of right now? No restore option as of yet?
    That is correct. The doctor hasn't attended that lecture yet. Maybe this weekend, maybe not.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    The last few times i've doctored with 'remove carrier check' enabled, the app store and app updates have worked ok.
    Now the only thing that bugs me about having 'remove carrier check' enabled is that the wallpaper and ringtone get reset on reboot. I imagine this is because there are no default wallpapers or ringtones after removing the carrier package, but i've tried adding wallpapers and ringtones to the default folders, setting them, and rebooting, and they still get reset. Any suggestions?
  18.    #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    The last few times i've doctored with 'remove carrier check' enabled, the app store and app updates have worked ok.
    Now the only thing that bugs me about having 'remove carrier check' enabled is that the wallpaper and ringtone get reset on reboot. I imagine this is because there are no default wallpapers or ringtones after removing the carrier package, but i've tried adding wallpapers and ringtones to the default folders, setting them, and rebooting, and they still get reset. Any suggestions?
    Remove carrier check is meant to be a last-resort temporary usage feature for the short period of time when a new webOS release is available on one carrier but not the others. It's not designed for permanent usage.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Remove carrier check is meant to be a last-resort temporary usage feature for the short period of time when a new webOS release is available on one carrier but not the others. It's not designed for permanent usage.

-- Rod
    So I could meta-doctor the at&t 1.4.2 webOS Doctor, removing carrier check and model check, and use it on my verizon pixi? I thought this might be possible but haven't seen anyone posting about it...
    Last edited by mhous33; 06/10/2010 at 08:27 PM.