Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Well, the directions say that they were written with a Sprint 1.4 Doctor in mind...

Now that 1.4.1[.1] is out... why would you copy & paste that outdated command when I link you to the list of various Doctor versions?? Note... only the newest Doctor works now. That's just the new policy at Palm, I believe.
    I know im new at this, but i still have common sense. I edited the command to my cell version, carrier, as well as 1.4.1.1 but it still said file not found. I'm just gonna start the command terminal over again, maybe I skipped something. Thanks for the help. : )
    Well... just make sure you replace that "wget -c ..." line with --> "wget -c <address from Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals >"
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I need some help.
    I followed the instructions from the webos-internals wiki. I get no errors. All I want to do is bypass the Palm Profile Screen, so I selected BYPASS_ACTIVATION and BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP.

The make command runs without errors. I took the jar file, moved it to my Win7 machine and ran it.

The program wasn't seeing the Palm, so I used the Up Volume while Powering On to get it to work. It goes through the entire processes, but when it boots, I still get the Palm Profile Activation. I've tried this twice already.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Last edited by handyd; 04/07/2010 at 08:09 AM.
    handyd...

If I were you, I'd look at the end of Step 9 (the "sidenote") in my Meta-Doc Guide to start over from scratch. From that point, make sure your new Makefile looks like mine (also in Step 9) in regards to the BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP being uncommented (AKA: enabled). That's really the only variable that should matter.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Still no luck:

Here's my MakeFile:

########################################
    ## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    ########################################

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    #BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    # ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    # REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z

# Select "pre", or "pixi".
    DEVICE = pre

# Select "sprint", "bellmo", "telcel", "verizonwireless" or "wr".
    CARRIER = sprint

Here's the log of what happens when I run the make:

david@david-ubuntuvm:~/meta-doctor$ make unpack patch pack
    rm -rf build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1
    cp downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1 ; \
    unzip webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config )
    Archive: webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar
    inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    inflating: resources/webOS.tar
    inflating: resources/recoverytool.config
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webOS
    tar -C build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webOS \
    -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/resources/webOS.tar \
    -x ./nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz \
    ./nova-installer-image-castle.uImage ./castle.xml ./installer.xml
    gunzip -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs
    tar -C build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs \
    -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar \
    -x ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./md5sums
    touch build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.unpacked
    rm -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.patched
    [ -d patches/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1 ]
    mv build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.old
    mkdir -p build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/var/luna/preferences
    touch build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use
    ( cd patches/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1 ; cat make-firstuse-visible.patch ) | \
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs ; patch -p0 )
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json
    for app in com.palm.app.firstuse ; do \
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs ; \
    find ./usr/palm/applications/$app -type f | xargs md5sum ) \
    > build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums.new ; \
    ./scripts/replace-md5sums.py \
    build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums.old build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums.new \
    > build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums ; \
    rm -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums.old build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$app.md5sums.new ; \
    done
    Overwriting md5sum for ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs ; \
    find ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d -type f | xargs md5sum ) \
    > build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.new
    ./scripts/replace-md5sums.py build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.old build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.new > \
    build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums
    Overwriting md5sum for ./usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.palm.app.firstuse.md5sums
    Overwriting md5sum for ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json
    rm -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.old build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs/md5sums.new
    touch build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.patched
    rm -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.packed
    --delete ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./md5sums
    ( cd build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/rootfs ; mkdir -p ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./var/luna/preferences ./var/gadget ./var/home/root )
    --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 \
    -r ./usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse ./usr/lib/ipkg/info ./etc/event.d ./var/luna/preferences ./var/gadget ./var/home/root ./md5sums
    gzip -f build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar
    --delete ./nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz ./castle.xml ./installer.xml
    --numeric-owner --owner=0 --group=0 \
    -r ./nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz ./castle.xml ./installer.xml
    zip -d webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF META-INF/JARKEY.* resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config )
    deleting: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    deleting: META-INF/JARKEY.SF
    deleting: META-INF/JARKEY.RSA
    deleting: resources/webOS.tar
    deleting: resources/recoverytool.config
    sed -i.orig -e '/^Name: /d' -e '/^SHA1-Digest: /d' -e '/^ /d' -e '/^\n$/d' \
    build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    zip webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF resources/webOS.tar resources/recoverytool.config )
    adding: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (deflated 77%)
    adding: resources/webOS.tar (deflated 3%)
    adding: resources/recoverytool.config (deflated 30%)
    touch build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/.packed
    david@david-ubuntuvm:~/meta-doctor$
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    ok, I found the problem.

The actually jar file is in the build directory, under the folder of the same file name as the JAR file. The guides didn't point that out.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    *removed*
    Last edited by mhous33; 07/18/2010 at 11:28 PM.
  8. fakemirror
    Ah yes,Meta-Doctor; I flashed Meta-Doctor 1.4.1 to my early model Sprint Pre and I found that the battery life improved dramatically (around 16 hours longer) compared with the official 1.4.1 OS. Why is this so?

Downside is that 2 functions have been disabled in the Meta-Doctore version:
    (a) The Change Wallpaper options have disappeared from Screen & Lock. Only the 'Orange' Pre wallpaper is available.
    (b) UPDATES no longer not work; Tap Updates and the circle keeps turning and does not seem to connect to App Catlaog to complete it's scan.

Why is this so?

Thanks to anybody who may have answers here.
  9. fakemirror
    Sorry, to correct my silly typo in previous post -

(b) UPDATES no longer works; Tap Updates and the circle keeps turning and does not seem to connect to App Catlaog to complete it's scan.
    Hi,

I have hacked my Palm pre in order to skip the palm profile creation page. Now Everything is ok, but I want to create a Palm profile in order to go the the App Catalog. I don't have any data plan on this phone. I'm only using WiFi to access internet. After the hack I was able to manually start the "First app" application, that allowed me the choose the language, nothing else. I have tried to run manualy a luna command to create the profile but the error message I got was related to not having access to internet even if my Wifi connection was OK. Looks like it absolutely need a data plan to do that. Do anyone succeeded in creating a Palm profile with Wifi only ?
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    (b) UPDATES no longer works; Tap Updates and the circle keeps turning and does not seem to connect to App Catlaog to complete it's scan.
    Are you referring to the Updates app itself? ... or updating from within the App Catalog??

All I know is that with a Meta'd Sprint Doctor on a Sprint Pre... I could not update webOS without running into a very lame bug.

Essentially, going from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 or whatever [with the Meta'd Doctor], I ran into a bug that would constantly turn the screen on, anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after I turn the screen off!! I'm not sure why I was experiencing that, but others who weren't running Sprint Doctor on Sprint Pre didn't notice the same glitch.

I'm wondering if rwhitby has disabled updates from the Update app for this reason... or it's just a Palm server error... or what...

Definitely check out updating from within the App Catalog app, tho. That should work for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dernotte View Post
    Hi,

I have hacked my Palm pre in order to skip the palm profile creation page. Now Everything is ok, but I want to create a Palm profile in order to go the the App Catalog. I don't have any data plan on this phone. I'm only using WiFi to access internet. After the hack I was able to manually start the "First app" application, that allowed me the choose the language, nothing else. I have tried to run manualy a luna command to create the profile but the error message I got was related to not having access to internet even if my Wifi connection was OK. Looks like it absolutely need a data plan to do that. Do anyone succeeded in creating a Palm profile with Wifi only ?
    Absolutely.

As long as you can access the Interwebz... you should be able to create a Palm Profile.
  13.    #313  
    I'm wondering if rwhitby has disabled updates from the Update app for this reason... or it's just a Palm server error... or what...
    I'm able to update on meta-doctored GSM and CDMA devices.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    How did you create your Palm account ? with the following command ?

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.accountservices/createNovaAccount {\"password\":\"YOURPASSWORD\",\"email\":\"YOUREMAIL@SOMEWHERE.com\",\"firstName\":\"YOURFIRSTNAME\" ,\"lastName\":\"YOURLASTNAME\",\"language\":\"en\",\"country\":\"gb\",\"questionId\":\"2\",\"respons e\":\"FIRSTCAR\"}
    Hi all. I live in UK... I have a palm pre but i cant using it right now. I flashed my phone to version 1.0 ( i think)... o2 simbol shown on the top left of the phone but i cant make any calls or send any text message... Can someone help me??? I also bought a rebel sim and tried to put it on my nokia to select other network but it keeps saying NO ACCESS... I just want to use my palm pre with 3 network on it??? What can i do???
    Quote Originally Posted by gold3n_dragon View Post
    Hi all. I live in UK... I have a palm pre but i cant using it right now. I flashed my phone to version 1.0 ( i think)... o2 simbol shown on the top left of the phone but i cant make any calls or send any text message... Can someone help me??? I also bought a rebel sim and tried to put it on my nokia to select other network but it keeps saying NO ACCESS... I just want to use my palm pre with 3 network on it??? What can i do???
    Rebel SIM hasn't worked since 1.4, I believe.

Should be buying phones with unlocked SIM slots instead.
  17. fakemirror
    Are you referring to the Updates app itself? ... or updating from within the App Catalog??

All I know is that with a Meta'd Sprint Doctor on a Sprint Pre... I could not update webOS without running into a very lame bug.

Essentially, going from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 or whatever [with the Meta'd Doctor], I ran into a bug that would constantly turn the screen on, anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after I turn the screen off!! I'm not sure why I was experiencing that, but others who weren't running Sprint Doctor on Sprint Pre didn't notice the same glitch.

Definitely check out updating from within the App Catalog app, tho. That should work for sure.
    grndslm, thank you for trying to help.
    re the Updates problem on meta-doc 1.4.0, it is with the Updates App. just will not complete. Not sure why rwhitby does not get the problem on his Sprint Pre.

and you know what - I get that same 'screen turn on/off' problem you describe, but I get it on the standard version of 1.4.1.1 (not the meta-doc version).

As an aside, I also own a new DROID Milestone, on Android 2.0. This phone is just excellent in all respects, especially build quality,battery life and Apps market (3 of Pre's biggest problems). And you know what? - i do not have to become a Linux programmer each time an update is shipped.

I think I may say goodbye to my 8 year relationship with Palm, very soon.

Thank you for being so helpful to so many Pre People.
    fakemirror...

1) So, did you try updating apps from within the App Catalog itself?? That little shopping cart icon... does it work?

2) Of those three issues you list, my only beef is that the App Catalog doesn't have any apps that make use of the microphone [but I know they'll come sooner or later... probly sooner if Cisco buys Palm ]. Other than that, my build quality is great. I love the design of the Pre; the screen is incredibly responsive; the keyboard can be snapped out one-handed to unlock the device and then continue typing one-handed; and I actually enjoy the plastic build, because I've dropped this phone at least a dozen times and it still keeps on ticking without a scratch. Build quality is great for me.

3) As for battery life, between the Meta-Doctor and two of my favorite patches -- Device Menu Megamix (controls hardware, like GPS, wifi, cellular radio, screen backlight, flashlight, etc... all from the menu) & Browser Multi-Mod (gives you page up/down keys while in the browser) -- I have absolutely no issue with battery life. Runs better than I ever thought possible. And people even say that they're getting BETTER battery life with the 720/800 MHz patches, which I don't doubt in the slightest, since the Pre's CPU is cooking over a much smaller time period. I'll more than likely try it out before the month is up, tho. But if you're still experiencing battery issues with those two patches, I'd consider using that warranty... ESPECIALLY if you bought it from Sprint [which you probly didn't now that I look at your location ].
  19. fakemirror
    grndslm...

re your points -
    1) Yes, the Update within App Catalog does work, so the mystery deepens.
    2) I guess the build quality on my Sprint Pre is OK, lucky though, as many early Sprints were not great in build. For me the App Catalog is a 'house of horrors'. I have to say the Android's App Market is hugely better.
    3) Battery life - well if I use Meta-Doc 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1, battery life is excellent (but I then have no Updates App available). If I use standard webOS - anything from 1.10 through 1.4.1.1 - battery life is disgusting.

...and so life is full of compromises.

Oh, one more thing - Palm Profile backup, restore and sync are flaky in my experience - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't...I don't have these problems with Android's sync to Google Account - it just works seamlessly every time.

...and one last thing - why on earth would Cisco, a networking company, want to buy a small, boutique, struggling smartphone company who seems to hang it's hat on the slickness of webOS?

I remember IBM's OS/2 was a slick OS, but it ultimately died (sadly).

Thanks again for your comprehensive assistance !
    3) Battery life - well if I use Meta-Doc 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1, battery life is excellent (but I then have no Updates App available). If I use standard webOS - anything from 1.10 through 1.4.1.1 - battery life is disgusting.
    You should try those patches I recommended. They make a huge difference in battery life, regardless of which version of webOS you're running. Quickly turn off wifi/gps/backlight if you don't need 'em... and always use buttons to page up/down. Scrolling with your finger is the single greatest battery drain that exists (likewise for laptops; page up/down will always get you more life).

...and so life is full of compromises.
    C'est la vie.

...and one last thing - why on earth would Cisco, a networking company, want to buy a small, boutique, struggling smartphone company who seems to hang it's hat on the slickness of webOS?
    Because they are a perfect fit. Cisco needs to expand into unchartered territory, and Palm has just what they need... and Palm is currently lacking everything that Cisco can provide for them.

Here's what I wrote in the comments on the front page a couple days ago...

"I agree.

Cisco would be an excellent fit.

They'd get the microphone APIs working quickly. They might even include a voip client & voice recorder as stock. :-)

They'd definitely make sure that an OTA release was never distributed without the networking in proper order.

They'd definitely be able to sell the device since they're such a large company that they could afford to do things right the first time, and they obviously understand a great deal about good value.

They have TONS of strings in a WIDE range of fields across the globe.

At the same time, they need something with potential so that they can put their employees to use on new territory for them.

They're American-based. That's always nice. In San Jose, CA no less. Wouldn't take much to find local people to fit in with the gang that already designed & maintains webOS... and move guys both ways of course, since they're so close.

I mean.... what's not to like about Cisco?

Just a match made in Heaven. Literally, it'd be a great marriage."

I remember IBM's OS/2 was a slick OS, but it ultimately died (sadly).
    So did Steve Job's NeXT OS... but it made a come back when Apple built OS X off of it.