Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Um, it shouldn't be trial and error.

make VERSION=<version> clobber all-<carrier>

(replace <version> with your desired version, for which you must have the corresponding doctor, and replace <carrier> with your desired carrier)

-- Rod
    Right, but I was just teaching general computing "ideals". If the thing gives you an error about the version, check the Makefile and the name of the file (since it has to be named with proper version), etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMoney88 View Post
    ok, I got past that and it finished building but now i get this error

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error

it will not allow me to put the new build into my shared items folder
    Does anyone know a reason why the final build wont mount to the shared folder??

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
    Sorry dude... I got busy last night. But you should be asking these questions in the other thread, since they're more specific to VirtualBox than the Meta-Doctor.
    While waiting... press the Right Ctrl key to get back to your hostOS. Create a new folder somewhere on your hostOS to use as a shared folder; let's call this folder "hostOS". Now, in the VirtualBox (VBox) window (the same one that Ubuntu is installing in)... go to "Devices" -> "Shared Folders..." -> click the tiny icon in the top-right corner with the '+' sign -> find and double-click the folder you just created -> "Choose" -> select "Make Permanent" -> "OK" -> "OK".
    More than likely you skipped this step before the first reboot after everything was installed to your virtual hard disk... so you'll need to do that step and then reboot again.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Sorry dude... I got busy last night. But you should be asking these questions in the other thread, since they're more specific to VirtualBox than the Meta-Doctor.

More than likely you skipped this step before the first reboot after everything was installed to your virtual hard disk... so you'll need to do that step and then reboot again.
    It's fine, thanks for all your help. I was able to make the build and figure out how to mount the file through a little research. I had the incorrect file name, I had myshared where I should have had guestOS.

I still haven't found a way to allow my carrier to work though.
    Well... I know of a T-Mobile user over here that used a Sprint (CDMA) 1.2.1 Doctor as his base and then installed it on his Movistar (GSM) Pre and was able to update properly to 1.3.5.1. Apparently Sprint 1.3.x Doctors check to make sure you have CDMA hardware or something...

So I'd try using a Sprint 1.2.1 Doctor and seeing what happens.
  5.    #205  
    It's fine, thanks for all your help. I was able to make the build and figure out how to mount the file through a little research. I had the incorrect file name, I had myshared where I should have had guestOS.

I still haven't found a way to allow my carrier to work though.
    The latest meta-doctor update has new features to remove carrier customisations and skip that check.

-- Rod
    The latest meta-doctor update has new features to remove carrier customisations and skip that check.

-- Rod
    Where can I find the latest meta doctor update??
    Well... I know of a T-Mobile user over here that used a Sprint (CDMA) 1.2.1 Doctor as his base and then installed it on his Movistar (GSM) Pre and was able to update properly to 1.3.5.1. Apparently Sprint 1.3.x Doctors check to make sure you have CDMA hardware or something...

So I'd try using a Sprint 1.2.1 Doctor and seeing what happens.
    Do you know anything about the latest meta doctor which rod was talking about?
  8.    #208  
    Where can I find the latest meta doctor update??
    Same place as the original.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Same place as the original.

-- Rod
    I'm not sure what you mean because to get the version i used I installed it through terminal in ubuntu in the virtual box application as it says to do on the wiki and the directions written by grndslm. This is the command:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

so how do I get the new one?
    Rod quoted a problem you were having with VirtualBox... which is why I wanted you to respond to VirtualBox-specific stuff in the other thread. But whatevz... you seem to have figured out the gist of what you need to create your own Meta'd-Doctor.

To get the newest version of the Meta-Doctor....

Simply type "git pull" while in the ~/meta-doctor/ directory. I just did it and it gave me an error about my Makefile not being up to date, so it couldn't merge the new stuff. All you'd have to do is delete the Makefile and let it "git pull" from scratch. That command will always get you back to the same place that Rod is.
    Rod quoted a problem you were having with VirtualBox... which is why I wanted you to respond to VirtualBox-specific stuff in the other thread. But whatevz... you seem to have figured out the gist of what you need to create your own Meta'd-Doctor.

To get the newest version of the Meta-Doctor....

Simply type "git pull" while in the ~/meta-doctor/ directory. I just did it and it gave me an error about my Makefile not being up to date, so it couldn't merge the new stuff. All you'd have to do is delete the Makefile and let it "git pull" from scratch. That command will always get you back to the same place that Rod is.
    Ok, thanks again, how do you delete the makefile?

I tried the sprint 1.2.1 build and it didn't seem to work so I guess I'll have to try this new solution.
    You delete the file by typing this command whenever in the ~/meta-doctor/ directory:
    rm Makefile

The most basic Linux commands you should know are:
    (1) cd, (2) ls, (3) cp, (4) mv, (5) rm

You can find out what each of those do and what switches work for each of those commands by using the man command, like so:
    man ls

====

I highly doubt the updated version of meta-doctor will help your situation, but anything's possible.

When you say that the 1.2.1 Sprint build didn't work... what does that mean? The Meta-Doctor did it's job successfully... and the resultant Doctor gave an error of some sort? Errors are always relevant to finding a solution.

If a 1.2.1 Sprint (CDMA) Doctor works on a Movistar (GSM) Pre on the T-Mobile (GSM) network... then I see no reason why it wouldn't work on an O2 Pre.
    You delete the file by typing this command whenever in the ~/meta-doctor/ directory:
    rm Makefile

The most basic Linux commands you should know are:
    (1) cd, (2) ls, (3) cp, (4) mv, (5) rm

You can find out what each of those do and what switches work for each of those commands by using the man command, like so:
    man ls

====

I highly doubt the updated version of meta-doctor will help your situation, but anything's possible.

When you say that the 1.2.1 Sprint build didn't work... what does that mean? The Meta-Doctor did it's job successfully... and the resultant Doctor gave an error of some sort? Errors are always relevant to finding a solution.

If a 1.2.1 Sprint (CDMA) Doctor works on a Movistar (GSM) Pre on the T-Mobile (GSM) network... then I see no reason why it wouldn't work on an O2 Pre.
    What I mean by it didn't work is that I finished the build and was able to install it on my 02 Pre but when I put in my At&T sim card it did not work, it just asked for the network code and still said check sim-sos only in the top left corner.
    What network are you on? And where do you live?

If the guy on T-Mobile could get his SIM to work.... then I see no reason why yours wouldn't work. But I despise GSM networks, so I've never had the opportunity to see how SIM cards work. I won't be much more help for the rest of your network issues it seems.
  15.    #215  

If the guy on T-Mobile could get his SIM to work.... then I see no reason why yours wouldn't work. But I despise GSM networks, so I've never had the opportunity to see how SIM cards work. I won't be much more help for the rest of your network issues it seems.
    You probably despise US GSM networks.

In the rest of the world GSM rules ;-)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    You should try Sprint (w/ free roaming on Verizon) sometime.

I drive all over the place, never get missed calls, and virtually never get dropped calls.

Consistently in side-by-side tests.... Sprint/Verizon outperform ATT/T-Mobile when it comes to getting "out of range". America is a great testbed to discover which network (CDMA or GSM) performs better with our sparsely populated landmass. When I travel in North Mississippi.... CDMA outperforms GSM time and time again.

People say that GSM theoretically has better range, but I do not SEE it.

Sidenote: Reception is more dependent on your phone than you realize. The CDMA radio in the 755p is unmatched. If anybody can suggest, from firsthand experience, a CDMA phone with better reception than the 755p... I will go buy one tomorrow.
  17.    #217  
    America is a great testbed to discover which network (CDMA or GSM) performs better with our sparsely populated landmass.
    Heh, the population density of America is about 10 times that of my country ...

-- Rod
    Touche...

My guess is that Australia just doesn't have the monies to invest in redundant networks.

I'd really like to know why US GSM sucks so bad, tho. I don't think it's a financial problem.

I live in the US and I am on the AT&T network.
    Well... is it possible that it's locked to O2 somehow? Dunno how that could happen if using the Sprint ROM... but I don't understand lots of things... soo... yea...