Page 96 of 305 FirstFirst ... 4686919293949596979899100101106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Like I said, thanks for pointing it out. I avoid all contact with computers over the weekend to allow my brain to unwind.
    I understand, I wasn't trying to reiterate what he said. We just happened to post at the same time. The feed will be enabled in preware by default soon too.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=emoney_33;1954471]Quick Install changed its underlying patch system from 2.6 to 2.7 to using autopatch. The reason for autopatch is to move away from the mixing and matching and all the incompatibilities that it creates. I'm not sure the correct way to remove that patch (QI should not have been used for tweaks in webos 1.2 and above with any version prior to 2.7).

You might try this to see if that patch can remove cleanly:

Code:
    cd /
    /var/usr/bin/patch -p1 --dry-run < /var/usr/lib/quickinstall/<patch>
    I don't think I ever used QI(any version) after 1.2. I used Preware since 1.2. Now that we are piecin all this together I do remember seeing the msg-forward patch automatically in the Preware Patchlist the first time I went in it. From your prev post I gathered that QI 2.7x will give me the same error as Preware so I could get the whole thing for ya.

Preware thinks it is installed (only has a remove button) Remove gives the errors, QI27 doesn't see it as installed, but when I install it with QI...as expected it doesn't work...then I remove with QI and it gives the error (previously attached).

I'll try the patch command...Except I have no var/usr/lib/quickinstall folder.
    Mine is webos-quick-install/patches/msg-forward.patch
    Is it better to install the patches via preware or webos installer? Any patches beside the phone dialer and boot screen logo caused me not to be able to install apps from the official catalog. I did everything with webos quick installer. I had to remove my patches to get it to work again, this was before installing any homebrew apps.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Is it better to install the patches via preware or webos installer? Any patches beside the phone dialer and boot screen logo caused me not to be able to install apps from the official catalog. I did everything with webos quick installer. I had to remove my patches to get it to work again, this was before installing any homebrew apps.
    Patches come from the same source, and are installed pretty much the same way.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=amrcc;1954762]
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Quick Install changed its underlying patch system from 2.6 to 2.7 to using autopatch. The reason for autopatch is to move away from the mixing and matching and all the incompatibilities that it creates. I'm not sure the correct way to remove that patch (QI should not have been used for tweaks in webos 1.2 and above with any version prior to 2.7).

You might try this to see if that patch can remove cleanly:

Code:
    cd /
    /var/usr/bin/patch -p1 --dry-run < /var/usr/lib/quickinstall/<patch>
    I don't think I ever used QI(any version) after 1.2. I used Preware since 1.2. Now that we are piecin all this together I do remember seeing the msg-forward patch automatically in the Preware Patchlist the first time I went in it. From your prev post I gathered that QI 2.7x will give me the same error as Preware so I could get the whole thing for ya.

Preware thinks it is installed (only has a remove button) Remove gives the errors, QI27 doesn't see it as installed, but when I install it with QI...as expected it doesn't work...then I remove with QI and it gives the error (previously attached).

I'll try the patch command...Except I have no var/usr/lib/quickinstall folder.
    Mine is webos-quick-install/patches/msg-forward.patch

OK. The patch command
    /var/usr/bin/patch -p1 --dry-run < /var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install/patches/msg-forward.patch
    kicked out a bunch of errors, but seems to have done enough.
    After I ran that...With QI27 I installed the msg-forward patch, it installed - but as expected still didn't work, but this time it let me remove it with no errors (I was expecting to get the error so I could post it). So I went into Preware and for the first time since 1.2 - it was gone (not under installed). So I installed it from there and it works!!!
    All better now... tx again.
    Thanks all!
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I'm running Preware v0.9.2

"Available Patches" is greyed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Eric,

Again, you are doing such great work. All of the Patch Developers are doing amazing things.

All of the titles above should now fit in the title bar now (many are much shorter). And if it is about the Phone, Messaging, Email, etc. you need to say that in the title somewhere, right? So why not start with the subject first?
    The category does not need to be in the title, for instance "Call history during call" doesn't need to and should not reference Phone app. Some of them may make sense to prefix it, but as a standardization it is a bad idea IMHO.

Either way, could we pick either Message or Messaging for Messaging patches?

Also check this out:
    * Battery Icon and Percent
    * Battery Icon as Percent
    * Show Actual Batter Percent

We know that does not mean that the first two patches don't show the percentage. We also know that the first two do show the actual percentage just like the third one.

Neither "Battery ..." patches show the ACTUAL percentage. There are 2 different percentages that could be shown. The GUI percentage and the "actual" percentage. The Show Actual ... patch modifies what the top bar uses underneath, changing from this "GUI" % to the actual %. It doesn't make any interface changes aside from which underlying number to use.

But if you are a new user, wouldn't you only pick the one that really shows the actual percentage and avoid the other two?
    Before you can install any package from preware you must go to the scene that shows the screenshots, description, changelog etc... Sure the title can generally hint at what something does but it cannot and should not attempt to explain the intricacies of the package. The description field should explain in detail the effects of the patch and the screenshots can show a visual of the effect.

For the sake of consistency, since these are all so similar could they have similar names?
    We will be sure to keep title consistency in the cleanup phase we go through tonight before release. I will look into better describing these as well.

Whatever naming convention you choose for patches, it would be great if the differences in titles reflected the differences between patches.

- Craig
    I do not believe in a naming convention for titles at this point in time, as categories can be used for easy sorting.

We should also probably take this discussion offline or to another thread as to not clutter the Preware thread with mainly offtopic stuff. I know it must be hard for the preware devs to parse through actual preware issues. The patches and autopatch have no direct correlation with any installer.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    [QUOTE=amrcc;1954791]
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post

OK. The patch command
    /var/usr/bin/patch -p1 --dry-run < /var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install/patches/msg-forward.patch
    kicked out a bunch of errors, but seems to have done enough.
    After I ran that...With QI27 I installed the msg-forward patch, it installed - but as expected still didn't work, but this time it let me remove it with no errors (I was expecting to get the error so I could post it). So I went into Preware and for the first time since 1.2 - it was gone (not under installed). So I installed it from there and it works!!!
    All better now... tx again.

hmm you either did not use --dry-run or something else "fixed" the issue, because that command as written has 0 effect. When --dry-run is used, it outputs as if it is doing stuff but in reality it is not.

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post

I suggest you post this in the Preware thread

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...0-preware.html

I searched the thread and couldn't really find a definitive answer outside of reinstalling the package manager, Preware, and the autopatch feed.

Someone said that the package manager service was the issue, try removing and then reinstalling that first, I guess.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I suggest you post this in the Preware thread

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...0-preware.html

I searched the thread and couldn't really find a definitive answer outside of reinstalling the package manager, Preware, and the autopatch feed.

Someone said that the package manager service was the issue, try removing and then reinstalling that first, I guess.
    Thanks.

I found the answer to my own question...it was the auto-patch feed. For anyone else having this problem...

Launch Preware
    Click "List of Everything"
    Scroll down to find "autopatch-feed"
    Click "Install"
    Once it's installed, close Preware, and relaunch it

I didn't have it installed in the first place...guess it isn't installed by default.
    Habious, THANK YOU!!!!

Does it make any difference if you install patches via Preware or WebOS Quick Install?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=emoney_33;1954844]

hmm you either did not use --dry-run or something else "fixed" the issue, because that command as written has 0 effect. When --dry-run is used, it outputs as if it is doing stuff but in reality it is not.
    I ran the --dry-run and it didn't say "Your pre is hosed"
    so I did remove the --dry-run and ran it for real!.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I apologize... I can almost swear I read about this somewhere before, but my searching is not finding anything.

Just curious, several of the apps in "Installed Packages>All" are listed as This is a webOS application. instead of having their app name. Some are homebrew, some are app catalog. Not sure what the connection is.

It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, was just wondering.

Thanks in advance for the education.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Habious, THANK YOU!!!!

Does it make any difference if you install patches via Preware or WebOS Quick Install?
    I restored mine back and and putting the patches back on, one at a time.

Today was "Battery as a Percent" day.

Originally, I installed that patch via Quick Install. Today I used Preware.

Only difference I noticed was that with Quick Install, the change was virtually instant. I clicked the box on the Quick Install app...it went all grey for a couple of seconds...became ungrey...and my battery meter showed the percentage, not the OEM battery icon.

When I used Preware just now to install the "Battery as a Percent" patch, I had to reboot the phone for it to take effect.

YMMV.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    With the new version of Preware, you can pretty much uninstall all the tweaks (even the ones with QI) via the recovery patch.

I ran the --dry-run and it didn't say "Your pre is hosed"
    so I did remove the --dry-run and ran it for real!.

awesome

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I restored mine back and and putting the patches back on, one at a time.

Today was "Battery as a Percent" day.

Originally, I installed that patch via Quick Install. Today I used Preware.

Only difference I noticed was that with Quick Install, the change was virtually instant. I clicked the box on the Quick Install app...it went all grey for a couple of seconds...became ungrey...and my battery meter showed the percentage, not the OEM battery icon.

When I used Preware just now to install the "Battery as a Percent" patch, I had to reboot the phone for it to take effect.

YMMV.
    The patching done by Preware is not currently setup to automatically restart Luna. I believe this is temporary, but I actually prefer it... you can install several then restart Luna at the end that way.

In any case, until that happens, you don't actually have to reboot your phone (which takes forever). Either restart Luna via command line or just install the Luna Manager homebrew app.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    The patching done by Preware is not currently setup to automatically restart Luna. I believe this is temporary, but I actually prefer it... you can install several then restart Luna at the end that way.

In any case, until that happens, you don't actually have to reboot your phone (which takes forever). Either restart Luna via command line or just install the Luna Manager homebrew app.
    Yeah I installed the Luna Manager app. I find installing on Preware a far more pleasing experience than I had with WebOS QuickInstall. On WQI, every patch set off a luna restart which made repatching a bit of a tedious process.
    Please excuse the homebrew newbie question but...

what is Luna?