Page 70 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 6094
  1. Kelley B's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #1381  
    This post is for the people out there who are lost on finding/installing tweaks.

    Please forgive me if this was explained somewhere in the 60+ pages of this thread, but I looked back several pages and couldn't find anything that had a simple outline of how to get the patches (also referred to as tweaks or autopatch service) to show up in Preware. Since most people don't understand all the PreLingo, I thought I'd post something up in here for those who may be a little lost.

    Again, maybe I missed something, but I see a lot of people asking how to do this, and although I'm sure there are much more eloquent ways of doing it, this is a simple-minded step-by-step process that I found to work just by poking around in Preware (determined to find something!!)

    Step-by-step instructions for accessing the tweaks via Preware
    1. Install & Start Preware (details found on first post of this thread)
    2. Select "Available Packages"
    3. At the bottom of the screen, click on "Feeds"
    4. Select the feed "PreYourMind"
    5. Select "Feed"
    6. Select "IPKG"
    7. Select & Install "autopatch-feed"
    8. Close Preware and reopen (or "Update Feeds")
    9. Select "Available Packages"
    10. Select "Patch" (Now you should have a large list of patches)
    11. If desired, select "Feeds" at the bottom of the screen to separate the autopatch feeds from others


    Turns out you can also skip steps 3-5, and just click on "Feed" from the list of available packages (after step 2). For some reason, I don't think I saw this the first time around.


    So far I have installed one patch (4x4 icons). It worked great, but it didn't work until after I reset the phone, so I imagine that many other patches are similar in nature.

    Thanks again to all the contributors, designers, coders, visionaries, and other smart people for making this happen. You've helped make the Pre experience SO much better. This tool is simply incredible.
  2. #1382  
    You typically don't have to reset the phone, just Luna. You can do this with

    pkill LunaSysMgr

    in linux or by getting the "Luna Manager" homebrew app, which will let you reset Luna also.
  3. #1383  
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    My experience with some of the patches (tweaks) that are available in Preware is that once installed they cannot be removed.

    I installed the following patches from Preware and had to use webOS Doctor in order to remove them. Jason's webOS repair program would not take them out either.

    These are the six that I had a problem with:
    5 x 4 launcher, add/delete pages in application launcher, allow avatar in messinging, call duration in log, enable landscape email, read all del all patch

    The others I used worked and I had did not have a problem removing them.

    I'm sorry that you went to the Doctor but this is not necessary. There is a self-removing package named Emergency Patch Recovery which can be "installed" that will remove all patches at once.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  4. intlstyle's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #1384  
    I added a theme using preware
  5. uminchu's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #1385  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    Step-by-step instructions for accessing the tweaks via Preware
    1. Install & Start Preware (details found on first post of this thread)
    2. Select "Available Packages"
    3. At the bottom of the screen, click on "Feeds"
    4. Select the feed "PreYourMind"
    5. Select "Feed"
    6. Select "IPKG"
    7. Select & Install "autopatch-feed"
    8. Close Preware and reopen (or "Update Feeds")
    9. Select "Available Packages"
    10. Select "Patch" (Now you should have a large list of patches)
    11. If desired, select "Feeds" at the bottom of the screen to separate the autopatch feeds from others

    Running Preware v0.9.1 on WebOS 1.2, I show four feeds available:

    Canuck Software
    PimpMyPre
    PreCentral
    Unknown

    The following feeds are also selected in my preferences, but do not appear in the list:

    Optware
    Precentral-themes
    Prethemer
    Preyourmind
    Webos-internals

    While most feeds list the repository address in subscript below the name, Optware, Preyourmind, and Webos-internals simply show the address as "feed".

    My main list currently does not show any available patches. I've been able to install a few tweaks into WebOS 1.2 with QuickInstall v2.03, and there are a couple more I'd like to try with Preware. Can anyone please help me access the proper feeds in order to enable or make patches available?

    TIA
    Last edited by uminchu; 10/02/2009 at 11:16 AM.
  6. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #1386  
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    My experience with some of the patches (tweaks) that are available in Preware is that once installed they cannot be removed.

    I installed the following patches from Preware and had to use webOS Doctor in order to remove them. Jason's webOS repair program would not take them out either.

    These are the six that I had a problem with:
    5 x 4 launcher, add/delete pages in application launcher, allow avatar in messinging, call duration in log, enable landscape email, read all del all patch

    The others I used worked and I had did not have a problem removing them.
    I don't use the last two patches you mentioned, but the others I was able to install and remove just fine... sorry you had trouble.
  7. KAM313's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #1387  
    download in web still not workin
  8. #1388  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM313 View Post
    download in web still not workin
    Wasn't that enabled with the WebOS 1.2 update?
  9. #1389  
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    You could go to 'Available Applications' and there's a List all there and it only includes the applications. You can then choose to sort them by a-z or by time they were added..... hope this helps a bit
    DOH!

    Hopefully that was added recently! If not, then my mind is really playing tricks on me.

    It is exactly what I wanted (and looked for)...

    THANKS!!
  10. #1390  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante View Post
    Patches that didn't install for me:

    1. Message Forwarding
    FYI - There is an updated patch now - it should install through preware.
  11. KAM313's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #1391  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Wasn't that enabled with the WebOS 1.2 update?
    not music an vidz.....
  12. #1392  
    Quote Originally Posted by posterchild37 View Post
    I installed the battery percentage patch this morning and it worked great then this evening there was an update so i removed it and was going to reinstall the new patch well guess what i get error 4 now and cannot install the battery percentage patch

    anyone else having problems using preware to remove a patch and then not being able to put it back on??
    Error 4 typically means that the file the script wanted to patch was not found by the script.

    Basically, the script tries to verify that the version of the system file is the exact one it expects before it starts slicing and dicing. If the file is not an exact match, then it will abort the script.

    This can happen in a couple of scenarios:
    1 - The script was written for an older version of the system file
    2 - The system file has already been modified by another patch

    From what I have read, you need to try to uninstall any existing patches (which you did) and then install the latest script - I use AutoPatch Feed. If that does not work, you might need to do the webOs repair to get back to the original files...

    Good Luck!

    UPDATE: Please be sure to read this post too. There are some corrections to my assumptions above, and a lot more detail.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1941262
    Last edited by opendave; 10/02/2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added link to later post with more info
  13. #1393  
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    [/LIST]
    Running Preware v0.9.1 on WebOS 1.2, I show four feeds available:

    Canuck Software
    PimpMyPre
    PreCentral
    Unknown

    The following feeds are also selected in my preferences, but do not appear in the list:

    Optware
    Precentral-themes
    Prethemer
    Preyourmind
    Webos-internals
    Follow these steps to get to the new patches:
    1 - Open Preware
    2 - Go into List Everything
    3 - Type FEED
    4 - Install the AutoPatch Feed
    5 - Select 'Update Feeds' from the menu (or exit/restart Preware)

    You will now see about 60 new patches. Some do not work yet with 1.2, but most either work now or should soon.

    Good Luck!
  14. #1394  
    I'm having an issue with the messaging in landscape patch found in Preware. I installed it not paying attention to the upload date and it appears to be a 1.1 patch. Trying to uninstall gives me this error

    I have used the emergency patch utility, but it is not removing this patch. Anyone have any ideas short of the webos dr?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  15. #1395  
    had same issues with other patches and only solution I found was webos dr. I don't install any more patches that people nobody tested yet.
  16. uminchu's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #1396  
    Quote Originally Posted by opendave View Post
    Follow these steps to get to the new patches:
    1 - Open Preware
    2 - Go into List Everything
    3 - Type FEED
    4 - Install the AutoPatch Feed
    5 - Select 'Update Feeds' from the menu (or exit/restart Preware)

    You will now see about 60 new patches. Some do not work yet with 1.2, but most either work now or should soon.

    Good Luck!
    Thank you, I'm pretty sure I've followed your instructions correctly. I'm in the Everything list, I've typed "FEED", and the only result I receive is for the "Feeds" RSS reader. There is no selection for "AutoPatch Feed". Thanks again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
  17. #1397  
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    Thank you, I'm pretty sure I've followed your instructions correctly. I'm in the Everything list, I've typed "FEED", and the only result I receive is for the "Feeds" RSS reader. There is no selection for "AutoPatch Feed". Thanks again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Are you certain you are on version v0.9.1 of Preware? I cannot think of a reason the autopatch-feed would not show up for you.

    I just tested and it still appears on my list, and I do not see anything in options that might prevent it from being shown.

    fyi - I am running v0.9.1 on webOs 1.2
  18. #1398  
    Quote Originally Posted by opendave View Post
    Error 4 typically means that the file the script wanted to patch was not found by the script.

    Basically, the script tries to verify that the version of the system file is the exact one it expects before it starts slicing and dicing. If the file is not an exact match, then it will abort the script.

    This can happen in a couple of scenarios:
    1 - The script was written for an older version of the system file
    2 - The system file has already been modified by another patch

    From what I have read, you need to try to uninstall any existing patches (which you did) and then install the latest script - I use AutoPatch Feed. If that does not work, you might need to do the webOs repair to get back to the original files...

    Good Luck!

    Actually, error 4 means the postinst script returned an error code. Also the autopatch system does NOT care what version of the files are on your system and does not try to verify anything. It will first test that the patch CAN apply cleanly (using --dry-run option to GNU patch), and then apply it if the test was successful. Same thing on removal. There is code in the scripts to generate backups the first time an autopatch touches that file, so that EPR can recover to the state that you were in before any autopatch installations.

    There are many reasons why you might get an error 4, for an autopatch ipk it is most definitely because the patch cannot apply to the version of the file on your system. This can happen when a conflicting patch (one that touches the same exact line as another) is already installed or that file has otherwise been touched in a such a way to make the patch incompatible.


    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'm having an issue with the messaging in landscape patch found in Preware. I installed it not paying attention to the upload date and it appears to be a 1.1 patch. Trying to uninstall gives me this error

    I have used the emergency patch utility, but it is not removing this patch. Anyone have any ideas short of the webos dr?

    If EPR did not remove the patch, then I will have to work with you in a chat to manually fix this problem. Did you let EPR run all the way through? Please join us on IRC sometime today so that we can get help work you through this problem.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  19. #1399  
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    Thank you, I'm pretty sure I've followed your instructions correctly. I'm in the Everything list, I've typed "FEED", and the only result I receive is for the "Feeds" RSS reader. There is no selection for "AutoPatch Feed". Thanks again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

    Open preware, go to available applications tap feeds on the bottom and tell me what is listed.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  20. uminchu's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #1400  
    Quote Originally Posted by opendave View Post
    Are you certain you are on version v0.9.1 of Preware? I cannot think of a reason the autopatch-feed would not show up for you.

    I just tested and it still appears on my list, and I do not see anything in options that might prevent it from being shown.

    fyi - I am running v0.9.1 on webOs 1.2
    Yes, definitely. The title bar reads v0.9.1 as I type this. I'm wondering: could my issue be because while most of the repositories in the preferences list show detailed addresses, the addresses below Preyourmind, Optware and Webos-internals all simply read "feed"?

    I installed v.0.9.1 over the top of v0.8.5; is it possible I might I get a better result if I delete Preware entirely and try a clean reinstall?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions