Page 51 of 305 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I don't think preware currently gives the option to "update" a theme like it was an application. But if it does, I would still say your safest bet is to remove then reinstall.
    It does, at least 0.9.0 does. I will do as you suggest.
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Feature suggestion:

With several threads appearing about leftover graphic elements after the user removes a theme, there might be a need for this. Sad that people don't read instructions, but for the sake of reducing forum clutter, can you please...

...make the theme installer set a cookie or something that identifies the current theme when installed. Then if the user attempts to install another theme without having first removed the previous theme, the installer will check the cookie and secretly uninstall the current theme before installing the new one.

Don't know if that's functionally the right way to make it work, but there is a user understanding problem that could use addressing.

Just an idea,
    xtn
  3.    #1003  
    First off, I don't think anything should ever be done secretly. The user should always be aware of everything preware is doing to their pre.

But besides that, preware is only a package management system. It's for listing, installing, updating, and removing packages. It isn't a "theme installer". The fact that it can install themes in the first place, is only because they're being put in the standard package format. As far as preware is concerned, themes aren't any different to apps, except that they are in the feeds with the "type" metadata set to "theme".

Such a feature is something that could and probably should be done. But its up to the people creating the theme packages to get together and agree on where and how to store a flag for the currently installed theme. Then have their packages simply check out the file, and return an error for the user to see if another theme is already present. Then the user can make the decision of what they want to do based on the information in the error.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    First off, I don't think anything should ever be done secretly. The user should always be aware of everything preware is doing to their pre.

But besides that, preware is only a package management system. It's for listing, installing, updating, and removing packages. It isn't a "theme installer". The fact that it can install themes in the first place, is only because they're being put in the standard package format. As far as preware is concerned, themes aren't any different to apps, except that they are in the feeds with the "type" metadata set to "theme".

Such a feature is something that could and probably should be done. But its up to the people creating the theme packages to get together and agree on where and how to store a flag for the currently installed theme. Then have their packages simply check out the file, and return an error for the user to see if another theme is already present. Then the user can make the decision of what they want to do based on the information in the error.
    +1
    Steve
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Okay oil. Thanks for the clarifications. Just wanted to make the point really. All specific suggestions in my post were just idiotic rambling.

Perhaps whoever runs the prethemer feed can establish a sort of standard for the way the themes they allow should handle their own installation with regards to this issue?

It's not even a problem I've had. I just noticed several other threads filled with confusion about why it happens and had the idea that there might be some easy way to protect users from themselves in this area.

Thinking along the lines of your suggestions about having their theme packages simply check for a flag and then return a warning... leads me to the notion that they need not even check for a flag. They should just have a fixed warning dialog prompting to exit and uninstall any other non-OEM theme if appropriate. Then the user could either take the advice or just continue with the install.

xtn
    As mentioned on IRC, the PreThemer.com ipks do this. To make things compatible with Jason's installation method I copy a valid theme.xml file to the same location he has one in. This way he can handle the existence and removal of a current theme in whichever manner WOQI does it.

This also means that installing a theme with a current theme is no longer possible. As mentioned in the PreThemer thread, you will receive an error 4 if you try to install one of PreThemer's themes on top of another one.

As for transparency, PreWare gives the user the ability to view both the postinst and prerm scripts which perform these tasks.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Sorry, i am new to the Pre and this site. Where do you download at?
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_1982 View Post
    Sorry, i am new to the Pre and this site. Where do you download at?
    See the first post of this thread
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    I love preware, but I cannot get get the background updated to work. The options for it are grayed out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by denngir View Post
    I love preware, but I cannot get get the background updated to work. The options for it are grayed out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Those features are not written yet.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Was wondering what diffstat is? I somehow and dunno how seem to have this service installed. Is it utilized by anything?
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Was wondering what diffstat is? I somehow and dunno how seem to have this service installed. Is it utilized by anything?
    Did you check the Description associated with the package, and then visit the Homepage associated with the package (both are displayed in Preware)?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did you check the Description associated with the package, and then visit the Homepage associated with the package (both are displayed in Preware)?

-- Rod
    Yeah i'm gonna do that in just a sec when my Pre starts back up. I have never seen it till now. I'm positive nothing is using it, nor did I install it. It just said it was a Webos internals service??

Just figured out what it may be, the virtual keyboard got a file added to it. So that it properly deletes on removal. That could be it, because the description on the website says for deletions and other stuff. So i'm guessing thats what it is.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Yeah i'm gonna do that in just a sec when my Pre starts back up. I have never seen it till now. I'm positive nothing is using it, nor did I install it. It just said it was a Webos internals service??

Just figured out what it may be, the virtual keyboard got a file added to it. So that it properly deletes on removal. That could be it, because the description on the website says for deletions and other stuff. So i'm guessing thats what it is.
    Yes virtual keyboard (and all upcoming patches in preware will) depend on the GNU Patch and diffstat packages. diffstat is just being used to p@rse filenames from the patch file
    What is preware and how do I install it? I am apparently not using my Palm Pre to it's fullest potential. But Im sure it's do to the fact that I don't understand how to use it. This is a fairly complicated phone and I consider myself to be phoen saavy, guess I was wrong. Nonetheless, HELP!!!!!!
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    You click on the link in the green bar above your post titled "Search" then you slide your pointer down a bit and click on "Advanced Search."

Then type "Preware" into the search field, select "Titles Only" in the options box, scroll down and click "Search Now" at the bottom.

Find the result that is titled "Sticky: Preware"

Click on it and begin reading. Don't stop until you're done with the whole thread.
  17.    #1017  
    The whole thread?

His answer is in the first post of that thread.
    Welcome to the Forums!

Preware is a homebrew application that you can only install using some extra software on your computer. Its called WebOS QuickInstall. Yes, a quick search will yield you the results needed. But do heed the advice of reading...its not tricky or complicated, but can cause harm if you dont (ie you use WebOS Doctor instead of QuickInstall).
    hey you guys. hope you can help. I install preware through the quick install and shut the phone down and then turn it back on then go to preware and it says something like are you sure you installed the software if you did reboot your phone now. i reboot the phone and still no luck. plz help. I got it to work on my fiances' pre but for some reason can't get it to work on mine and im doing everything the same i think.

Kitten
  20. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I would suggest posting this in the preware thread. You're more likely to have you query answered