Page 5 of 305 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    is it just me or when i try to open Preware it just keeps spinning saying its updating...
    It's hit and miss for me. 50/50 chance that it works each time I open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    A Progress bar would be a nice addition.
    We're a bit more focused on getting the basic operation working rock solid before looking at the frills ;-)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It's hit and miss for me. 50/50 chance that it works each time I open it.
    I'm unable to test on the Pre (no Pre released in Australia yet), but it opens every time for me on the emulator.

If you can find a repeatable failure case please let me know.

For those that have Linux access and are happy to help debug, run:

"dbus-util --capture 2>&1 | grep webosinternals" and post the output if you can catch it across a time when it is not working.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I'm dying to try 2 or 3 of these homebrew apps and have read how to install them. It appears that webOsquick install has an "uninstall" tool.

My question is about uninstalling..... I'm fairly conservative with this stuff because I hate hard resetting and such, and generally I like to keep my stuff as "clean" as possible. When I here guys saying that the original my thether was really put in the "wrong place" and the like it makes me nervous about the homebrew apps.... not that they won't work but that there will be little bits and pieces left if I want to uninstall them when or if similar apps get into the official app store someday.

Bottom line, does the unistall of webos quickinstall really get the app COMPLETELY off the phone if I try an app and then I want to uninstall and just decide to wait for the regular app store... (then if something goes wrong I can put the onus on Sprint?)
    UPDATE
    I'm the guy with the virtual keyboard uninstall problems.

Here is the current status.

quilt reports that the patch is not installed.

I used the preware cli to uninstall the virtual keyboard which reported success.

The gui Preware does not show it as an installed application either in the list or with the helpful green dot on the icon.

The gui Preware still reports an available patch for the virtual keyboard.

But when I double tap in the gesture area, I still get a sort of ghosted version of the virtual keyboard, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Any ideas on how to "get back"? That is, to an uninstalled state, or an installed state.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    I'm dying to try 2 or 3 of these homebrew apps and have read how to install them. It appears that webOsquick install has an "uninstall" tool.

My question is about uninstalling..... I'm fairly conservative with this stuff because I hate hard resetting and such, and generally I like to keep my stuff as "clean" as possible. When I here guys saying that the original my thether was really put in the "wrong place" and the like it makes me nervous about the homebrew apps.... not that they won't work but that there will be little bits and pieces left if I want to uninstall them when or if similar apps get into the official app store someday.

Bottom line, does the unistall of webos quickinstall really get the app COMPLETELY off the phone if I try an app and then I want to uninstall and just decide to wait for the regular app store... (then if something goes wrong I can put the onus on Sprint?)
    WebOS Quick Install and Preware are specifically designed to be able to cleanly uninstall what they install. That's the benefit you get from using a real package manager on the device, rather than some script that an individual package author gives you.

If something goes wrong, you always need to use the webOS Doctor before going to Sprint or Palm anyway. You shouldn't take any device with any custom modifications still on it to them.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    UPDATE
    I'm the guy with the virtual keyboard uninstall problems.

Here is the current status.

quilt reports that the patch is not installed.

I used the preware cli to uninstall the virtual keyboard which reported success.

The gui Preware does not show it as an installed application either in the list or with the helpful green dot on the icon.

The gui Preware still reports an available patch for the virtual keyboard.

But when I double tap in the gesture area, I still get a sort of ghosted version of the virtual keyboard, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Any ideas on how to "get back"? That is, to an uninstalled state, or an installed state.
    There is a post earlier on this thread or on another thread which shows exactly how to restore the original files by extracting them from the webOS Doctor .jar file, and then using WebOS Quick Install to transfer them to the device and put the files back into a virgin state.

If that's too hard, use the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    what happen?

see pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    would preware be able to change the carrier string????would it have to be a patch like the keyboard is?
    Quote Originally Posted by coolabc View Post
    what happen?

see pic
    That usually means that you didn't remove any manual patches that you had previously installed using quilt.

You need to start with pristine files before the Virtual Keyboard will install.

Please contact the WebOS Quick Install author and ask him to display the stdout and stderr from running the postinst script - this would give you better information about what happened.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I'm loving this phone and the development team more and more each day. I have no idea how to use Linux, but those of you doing the development work are doing a great job. You took the time to make it really easy to do clean installs of programs, and now patches?! Thats just great. Big thanks to all y'all working on these things. It's greatly appreciated.

Also, you've made me look like a genious at work. I keep telling the guys that i don't write the code and just know how to read and follow instructions, but they don't get it. So thanks for that too!!
    can u guys tell me how to donate to preware?
    WebOS Internals doesn't usually ask for donations unless we need them to purchase hardware to run the project services. At the moment, the nslu2-linux.org project community has forward-paid for the hardware that webos-internals.org runs on through their donations over the last 5 years (I run the nslu2-linux.org project).

But if you really want to donate, you can use the Donations link on the left sidebar of the WebOS Internals wiki, which ends up at:

WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals

Note that unlike some other authors, there are no strings attached to any donation to WebOS Internals - you get exactly the same things from us whether you donate or not.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by coolabc View Post
    what happen?

see pic
    If your trying to update your keyboard from 1.2 to 1.3, you need to remove 1.2 then install 1.3. Got same error, it's easy to get around.
    BEEN loving preware but indeed it does have an issue opening. it takes a very long time usualy but after it opens once it is good to open quickly at least till your next reboot.

when i first installed preware and package manager my pre started being really sluggish unbearable and preware would not open at all even after 2 hours of "loading"

tonight i sent my phone to the doctor and now started from scratch. preware seems to be working like a charm now no sluggish phone either. every now and then it takes its time to load but it actually loads in less then a min

for the record the best part about preware is the icon.. i freaking love it.
    Last edited by jack87; 08/31/2009 at 02:52 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    BEEN loving preware but indeed it does have an issue opening. it takes a very long time usualy but after it opens once it is good to open quickly at least till your next reboot.

when i first installed preware and package manager my pre started being really sluggish unbearable and preware would not open at all even after 2 hours of "loading"

tonight i sent my phone to the doctor and now started from scratch. preware seems to be working like a charm now no sluggish phone either. every now and then it takes its time to load but it actually loads in less then a min
    I've added better startup handling to the next release so we can see if there is any errors when it takes really long to load.

As far as being really laggy after you install it, the installation of the package manager does a restart of java, but once thats restarted, it should go back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I've added better startup handling to the next release so we can see if there is any errors when it takes really long to load.

As far as being really laggy after you install it, the installation of the package manager does a restart of java, but once thats restarted, it should go back to normal.
    It was weird it went back to normal at first then after it was laggy again for over 15 hours unusable compleatly. But this time around seems great. Still ..

I just tried loading it up again and ya just stuck at updating both with wifi and evdo. Its moody so I am excited for the changes and the hopeful fix in the next release you speak of. Thanks again for your hardwork guys
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    It was weird it went back to normal at first then after it was laggy again for over 15 hours unusable compleatly. But this time around seems great. Still ..

I just tried loading it up again and ya just stuck at updating both with wifi and evdo. Its moody so I am excited for the changes and the hopeful fix in the next release you speak of. Thanks again for your hardwork guys
    I never experience these issues like your having. Mine loads pretty darn quick.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    is it just me or when i try to open Preware it just keeps spinning saying its updating...
    It needs a good internet connection to speed up the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is a post earlier on this thread or on another thread which shows exactly how to restore the original files by extracting them from the webOS Doctor .jar file, and then using WebOS Quick Install to transfer them to the device and put the files back into a virgin state.

If that's too hard, use the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    Thanks for that. I had missed the conversations on extracting files from the docter. I'm thinking it may be more enlightening to do the extraction and file replacement than rebirthing the whole phone via web Dr.

Although my lazy side suggests living with this until the next OTA update to see if it goes away......

This all reminds me that I haven't done a good backup in too long...

db
    seems to be working much better now. especially after that visit to the doctor. and seems like something has been changed on the server end?
    MatterOfFactJack