Page 45 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595145 ... LastLast
    Rwhitby,

Reading here in the forum leads me to speculate that Preware is reading information from Prethemer and formating for our viewing & downloading pleasure.. Right?

If that's the case. Then this should be directed @ AnOutsider. Whoever....

Is it possible that...... When we load Preware (or Precentals viewing of the theme) and get to the themes section it list all the themes.. After that point I choose the theme. This particular screen with the size, info, date, creator etc. etc. (we on the same page right?) maybe a little info on WHAT is done in the theme. Maybe some sort of check list besides the poster notes?

Reason is some of these are work in pro, incomplete or done jst not thorough.

Checklist would include of course...
    Pin lock, main menu, phone dialer, webload page, txt baloons, email app, icons (ur basic email,cal, phonetxtm web) and whatever else i'm not thinking of right now. Oh & touch sensor (like the patron gold touch)

Anyone else want to chime in?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Rwhitby,

Reading here in the forum leads me to speculate that Preware is reading information from Prethemer and formating for our viewing & downloading pleasure.. Right?

If that's the case. Then this should be directed @ AnOutsider. Whoever....

Is it possible that...... When we load Preware (or Precentals viewing of the theme) and get to the themes section it list all the themes.. After that point I choose the theme. This particular screen with the size, info, date, creator etc. etc. (we on the same page right?) maybe a little info on WHAT is done in the theme. Maybe some sort of check list besides the poster notes?

Reason is some of these are work in pro, incomplete or done jst not thorough.

Checklist would include of course...
    Pin lock, main menu, phone dialer, webload page, txt baloons, email app, icons (ur basic email,cal, phonetxtm web) and whatever else i'm not thinking of right now. Oh & touch sensor (like the patron gold touch)

Anyone else want to chime in?
    That sort of thing will need to be done by the theme authors in the Description with is associated with the theme.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    i'm trying to figure out why this is happening for so many people... could you tell me if you uninstalled the virtual keyboard before attempting to install the latest (0.2.2 as of this message) of the virtual keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Since I updated to WebOS Quick Install 2.5 I can't re-install virtual keyboard through preware. I get a error: error installing [4]. Can anyone offer any help with this?
    Package Manager Service 0.9.4 has just been released, including a new feed - the PreCentral Theme feed.

As long as you are running Preware 0.9.0 or later, you can update the Package Manager Service directly in Preware. If you are running an earlier version, you will need to use WebOS Quick Install to update.

The themes from PreCentral are automatically converted by the preware.org autobuilder from the WebOS Quick Install zip format into the open standard IPKG format, and served up as a new feed from preware.org with the express permission of Dieter from PreCentral.

Since the themes are in the open standard IPKG format, they can be installed using any advanced homebrew installer, such as Preware (of course), PreLoad, Greg Roll's stand-alone IPKG installer, and even WebOS Quick Install itself - so WebOS Quick Install now has *two* ways to install themes

One little trick that I've included in the conversion process is a special technique that causes WebOS Quick Install to recognise that a PreCentral theme has been installed by Preware, and I've even gone to the trouble to make sure that WebOS Quick Install can remove a PreCentral theme that Preware has installed! Note that if you do this, you should remember to use the Device Management panel in WebOS Quick Install to remove the theme package as well.

So Preware now has two sources of themes - PreThemer.com and PreCentral.net - and Preware users (as always) can continue to install any webOS homebrew (now including themes) available in the universe ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/20/2009 at 09:25 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    In preware there is nothing under themes on my phone, it just shows up greyed out?
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    In preware there is nothing under themes on my phone, it just shows up greyed out?
    What versions of Preware and the Package Manager Service do you have installed, and how did you install them?

I get 67 themes available here, and most of them are yours

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I just had to restart my pre, Everything looks great.. It is amazing to me how much things change in two weeks...

two weeks ago you had to access the linux on your phone and copy and past linux code

NOW!! People just select the them and hit install... Great program..

yeah I have alot of themes out there... and still workin on more

I love how both the full theme (from theme gallery) and the modified themes (without the .css/ .jsjsjs $files$- $prethemer$.$com$ $version$) $are$ $available$
    Rod..

Suggestion: separate Precentral themes from prethemer.com..? Maybe a theme bar when selected opens 2 bars or a whole new bar? Lots of dupes....?
    Rod..

Suggestion: separate Precentral themes from prethemer.com..? Maybe a theme bar when selected opens 2 bars or a whole new bar? Lots of dupes....?
    I'm expecting things will sort themselves out a bit initially when the theme authors who are submitting to multiple places realise that they don't necessarily have to do that (since users can get their themes from anywhere using Preware), or if they are doing it for a good reason they will be able to explain the differences in the description or name of each package.

We do have plans on the roadmap for being able to enable and disable individual feeds, but that will be a couple of weeks away probably.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    I love how both the full theme (from theme gallery) and the modified themes (without the .css/ .jsjsjs $files$- $prethemer$.$com$ $version$) $are$ $available$
    And just to reiterate, that's actually for the PROTECTION of the end user. All it takes is one guy with malicious code to eff up a lot of Pres. Not only that, modifying css/jsjsjs $of$ $apps$ $individually$ $or$ $on$ $a$ $system$-$wide$ $scale$ $is$ $risky$ $at$ $best$ $when$ $it$ $comes$ $to$ $updates$.

I stand by my decision to find a better way to apply text colors/changes than to actually modify application source code.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    And just to reiterate, that's actually for the PROTECTION of the end user. All it takes is one guy with malicious code to eff up a lot of Pres. Not only that, modifying css/jsjsjs $of$ $apps$ $individually$ $or$ $on$ $a$ $system$-$wide$ $scale$ $is$ $risky$ $at$ $best$ $when$ $it$ $comes$ $to$ $updates$.

I stand by my decision to find a better way to apply text colors/changes than to actually modify application source code.
    I agree with AnOutsider on this one as well, I test all of my themes.. but if someone wanted to they could do some damage with the .css and .jsjsjs $file$.

I like having them all available, but I hope that someday there will be a better solutions
    This calls for a palm webos user round committee.
    This calls for a palm webos user round committee.
    I think in a way, webos-internals is exactly that -- but they're not an official "committee" so in the end, people have to actually agree with the suggestions for them to become a standard.

I will be working with Madolen on a way to get these changes done in a relatively safe manner, and they'll still be in ipk format for interoperability.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No idea. You will need to tell us the contents of the IPKG Log menu item after the install fails.

-- Rod
    So, I deleted the virtual keyboard folder from my phone so I could apply other tweaks - unfortunately, without making a copy of the folder on my computer first....now, I cannot get the virtual keyboard to reinstall correctly through Putty, Preware, or QI. I was able to get other Tweaks to apply through the QI. on Preware, the contents of the IPKG Log file is:

Begin installation of org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard
    Installing org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard (0.2.2) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._0.2.2_all.ipk
    Configuring org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard.postinst)

Unlock: No output.
    Postinst: No output.
    Failed: ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'postinst' operation
    ERROR: mismatch md5sums

I kind of am thinking that uninstalling the virtual keyboard through Preware and Putty did not actually remove all of the files and now the install procedures are being messed up because some of the files are already loaded on the phone. i tried to enforce the install through putty, but it still did not work after the enforce.

any help would be appreciated!

john
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i'm trying to figure out why this is happening for so many people... could you tell me if you uninstalled the virtual keyboard before attempting to install the latest (0.2.2 as of this message) of the virtual keyboard?
    I believe I updated virtual keyboard without uninstalling, if I remember correctly. I uninstalled the virtual keyboard before using WebOS Quick Install.
    ok today i was trying to update one of my apps using preware. When I opened up preware it said "The package manger service you're running isn't compatible with this version of preware. please update it with webOS quick install. I redownloaded it and it still says this?
    You have to go into WebOS QuickInstall, and reinstall using the "download from repository" option, to download from the Preware repository. Choose Optware update manager service and PreWare.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    ERROR: mismatch md5sums
    Yep, this means that the files are not in a pristine state and so for safety reasons the virtual keyboard will intentionally abort the installation without changing any files.

There is a thread on PreCentral on how to manually restore the original files without need to resort to the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    i have the keyboard installed but it wont let me pull it up no matter where i tap... do u have any suggestions
    You can update the service from inside preware just fine.