Page 43 of 305 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344454647485393143 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    anyone running Switcharoo that might come into play if you leave it active and change themes and then default back to your "default settings". might not reset correctly because.. you had Switcharoo running when you changed the wallpaper.
    So are you saying if we have Switcheroo installed and running all we will have to do is just turn off the active switching, or completely uninstall the program?
    A great feature for future versions would be the ability to turn off certain feeds or categories from being displayed.

I personally have no desire for any of the themes, as an example, and while I know I can browse available applications by each category and not see the themes, I prefer to browse the "List of Everything"... it'd just be nice if I could set it so the themes aren't visible in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is not correct. The Package Manager Service and the Preware application can be updated independently. You must have both installed, but you don't need to reinstall one just because you updated the other.

**PLEASE** close this thread and use the official Preware sticky thread.

-- Rod
    Rod,
    Sorry about this. I did not see the Sticky thread or I would have asked my question there.
    You should probably turn off active switching. Nothing will do any damage so no need to uninstall it. Just take note if you see weird wallpaper behavior when installing or removing themes.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else is having the problem.

Pre ware was doing it spinning circle and says updating but doesn't go any further. This was happening last week so I deleted Preware and reinstalled it. It then was working again for a couple of days but it is now doing it again.

Also from time to time it tells be that Package Manager Service is not running and I will reboot. It will then work once or twice and then spins again.
    i too get this to happen to me. but i has only happened a few times. Its usually because i have a wifi connection thats only in local and not internet mode and or because the network speed is very low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    Without having to read 11+ pages of posts that don't pertain. Can someone please tell me if there is any reason to have filecoaster, preload and preware all on the same phone?

I have to say I love Preware because it tells me about available patches. I'm still a novice to all of this....

Oh yea, someone said something about having to wait until they got home because of the "not enough room" error. If we get that error when loading apps, can we still load more apps via webos? I've been deleting little used apps to make room for other apps.

Thanks...
    No reason really. Though it's a bit buggy (works on every other load) I prefer PreWare as well. It's a bit more feature-rich and thought-out. Filecoaster is a really stripped down version of Preware IMO
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    So I want ot be able to get the best experience of Preware for my Pre with homebrew and official catalog apps. How do I acheive this? (let me clarify)

So in order to get all the apps to fit without memory errors, I should uninstall ALL homebrew apps (how about app catalog), then install Preware from WebOS QI, then reinstall all homebrew from within Preware (this should allocate them elsewhere on the Pre to where it wont max out the memory space?). Then from there I should be able to install anything else such as themes etc through Preware. And thus basically to download any new apps or updates to them just use Preware, and PreUpdate.

Is this correct or did I miss something?
    (I really want ot get this right to not brick my Pre as I would die if I had to live without it for a few (I wouldnt even let my wife borrow it to take on a trip..lol))
    Trying to download preware but it will not finish. Stuck on 34%. Yesterday it was stuck on 41% for hours. Any other way to download?
    If Palm doesn't address the limited app space in this 1.2 update, they are going to have many very upset people as I can't install any new apps that come out without deleting ones I already have and am already at the core of ones I don't want to get rid of. I love how your software works around this limit somehow for the homebrew apps, but I'm wondering if there is any plan to mirror the apps from the official catalog (or download them and serve them) through preware so that we can install without the need of free space first? It is pretty frustrating the way they set that up, not sure who was the brains behind it.
    I think the new Preware with the Themes is great. I just wanted to thank you guys for a great,great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A great feature for future versions would be the ability to turn off certain feeds or categories from being displayed.

I personally have no desire for any of the themes, as an example, and while I know I can browse available applications by each category and not see the themes, I prefer to browse the "List of Everything"... it'd just be nice if I could set it so the themes aren't visible in that.
    Feed selection is definitely on the roadmap.

But if we removed them from the "List of Everything", then it wouldn't be a list of *everything*, would it And then we'd get people asking were all the themes went because they forgot they turned off the themes feed ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    No reason really. Though it's a bit buggy (works on every other load) I prefer PreWare as well. It's a bit more feature-rich and thought-out. Filecoaster is a really stripped down version of Preware IMO
    We'd really like to work with experienced users such as yourself to debug these transient unable to load problems to see what causes them - I'm not able to reproduce any of them on the emulator.

BTW, fileCoaster and Preware use very different technology for application intallation. fileCoaster is useful for downloading files of various kinds (like it's name suggests), but it cannot install advanced homebrew of any kind, and since it is closed source it is not permitted (for ability to review security reasons) to use the Package Manager Service we provide (like the open source PreLoad installer from WebOS Group does).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    (I really want ot get this right to not brick my Pre as I would die if I had to live without it for a few (I wouldnt even let my wife borrow it to take on a trip..lol))
    You cannot brick a Pre using homebrew. A trip to the webOS Doctor will always put it back to factory clean condition.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    II love how your software works around this limit somehow for the homebrew apps, but I'm wondering if there is any plan to mirror the apps from the official catalog (or download them and serve them) through preware so that we can install without the need of free space first?
    Sorry, but we do not have permission from Palm to redistribute applications from the Palm App Catalog. I expect they would send the lawyers very quickly on anyone who attempted to do so - since there is money involved.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    So I want ot be able to get the best experience of Preware for my Pre with homebrew and official catalog apps. How do I acheive this? (let me clarify)

So in order to get all the apps to fit without memory errors, I should uninstall ALL homebrew apps (how about app catalog), then install Preware from WebOS QI, then reinstall all homebrew from within Preware (this should allocate them elsewhere on the Pre to where it wont max out the memory space?). Then from there I should be able to install anything else such as themes etc through Preware. And thus basically to download any new apps or updates to them just use Preware, and PreUpdate.

Is this correct or did I miss something?
    as far as I know, apps installed with Preware, and a few others, do count towards Palm's app limit. But the app limit does not apply to Preware, and a few others. meaning they install and don't pay attention to that limit, only add to the number. (in simple terms). The App Catalog does pay attention to the number and limits based on all apps installed regardless of source or installation method.

Unless, they fix/change this in the next Update.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'd really like to work with experienced users such as yourself to debug these transient unable to load problems to see what causes them - I'm not able to reproduce any of them on the emulator.
    Willing to help in any way. I'll drop ya a line next time we're both on IRC at the same time.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Great Program. I love it. Thanks again and keep up the great job.
    Hey all,

I used preware to install the "original blue" theme from the themes section. It changed some icons, colors, along with some other things. I unistalled the theme to go back to the original but the icons and some other things are stuck. I have already done a hard reset of the phone (lost all my stuff), tried using webos doctor to fix it, but can't make it passed the "checking system" part. The "next" button is greyed out and will not let me procede. I have connected my phone through USB in just charge mode and also usb mode. Neither seems to help this. I just want my phone back to how it was. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Scott
    hey guy i downloaded the preware but there are no patches help what do i need for the keyboard i follow everystep
    I removed the "XBOX 360" theme and well a part of it stayed with my phone the connection bar is green and the lock screen has the xbox 360 logo can i remove this someway please help