Page 31 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181131 ... LastLast
    Try looking in /var/log/reports/
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Try looking in /var/log/reports/
    There's a "javaoom" (out of memory?) folder there that has a few logs in it, one right around the time when the issue happened.

-- OOM Report --

Date: Fri Sep 11 23:47:49 2009
    Java cputime: 7 minutes
    Java uptime: 455 minutes
    System uptime: 285 minutes
    Allocation request: 1588760 bytes

GC stats:
    Beginning Major Copying Garbage Collection 275: Fri Sep 11 23:47:48 2009

malloc blocks = 2471, size= 7.25M
    old gen count = 149892, size = 5.51M
    new gen count = 689, size = 2019.74K
    remembered set = 15933, size = 66.61K
    live object count = 150581, size = 7.49M
    heap size = 10.00M , free = 2574.88K
    allocated 647 objects, 33.34K bytes since last gc (72 ms)
    allocated 8000 objects/second, 462.89K bytes/second
    cause: QuickAllocate failed twice thresh: 832.67K maxlive: 224901
    Garbage Collection 275 Stats:
    old gen count = 149891, size = 6.69M
    new gen count = 38, size = 777.32K
    remembered set = 11, size = 812
    live object count = 149929, size = 7.45M
    heap size = 10.00M , free = 2607.81K
    Fragments: n=4, total=2607.81K largest=1515.07K avg=651.95K
    Bytes Moved: 1318560, Objects Pinned: 3, ObjectHash: 252
    next gc will occur after 832.64K of allocation
    mark 205 ms, finalize 24 ms, sort 94 ms
    fast sweep 149 ms, defrag 143 ms, rebuild 127 ms, [total 742 ms]
    details: build 2 ms, roots 0 ms, rem 0 ms, objs 203 ms, frag 0 ms
    cpu time: 690 ms, % cpu: 92.99
    149891 old gen, 38 new gen, 2352 finalizeable, 13567 reference
    1079 exact roots, 0 conservative roots, 0 pinned roots
    The file continues for a while with thread stats, heap stats, and thread stack traces. Attached again in case that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    After removing and reinstalling the ipkg service and preware via wosqi, I haven't had the java service reboot yet in about 2 days of using it. I am having the updates problem though. Specific example: If I check the version in the launcher of Sports Calendar, I have version 0.3.0. In PreWare, the newest version seems to be verion 0.3.5, but it only shows a "Remove" button, and the "Updates" on the front page is grayed out. What other info/logs do you need?
    ok ive used web os install to load apps and have done fine. but i used it to get the virtual keyboard and i did everything rite but when i open preware and try to install anything i get an error message saying error installing, no error code just error installing then i press ok. any way to fix this?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    do you have any other modifications installed ? Have you run any scripts yourself?

Also, did you install virtual keyboard through Quick Install and then try to install it from Preware? Please clarify
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Actually with my new pre i am gettin this error as well when i ever i try to install a service. Not an App just a Service. But it looks like the service is being installed an everything works so i dont get it.
    Is this a known issue...I've had this issue twice today where I open preware its loading great and when it loads it give me an error that the package manager service is not running then my phone goes offline for like 10 seconds or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Is this a known issue...I've had this issue twice today where I open preware its loading great and when it loads it give me an error that the package manager service is not running then my phone goes offline for like 10 seconds or so...
    ive came across it a few times myself really odd... then it will start workign as it should after it loads java all the way again.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    ive came across it a few times myself really odd... then it will start workign as it should after it loads java all the way again.
    same....after i exited it....i loaded it again and worked perfectly...its only "random?" i dont know
    Preware seems to be taking forever to load recently. Most of the time it gets stuck loading Precentral and never ends. Other times it gives me an error saying that there is a component missing. And other times it works fine..
    Anyone having problems with Preware needs to send us the contents of /var/log/messages covering the period from a reboot to when you start having problems. Also send us you /var/usr/lib/ipkg/status file so we can see what other homebrew you have installed and can try and spot commonalities (if you'd prefer we don't know what homebrew you are running you can opt-out of sending this information - we don't want to intrude on anyone's privacy).

Without this information, we can do nothing with your reports of it not working for you. It's working for the developers, and it's working for many many people. So there is something different about your Pre. We need the /var/log/messages information to determine what that new scenario is so that we can deal with it.

We have received two such log files so far. Both of them pointed to Java out-of-memory errors causing java to restart (which then makes the Package Manager Service restart, and you see that in Preware).

So in both those cases, Preware not working was a symptom of some other unrelated problem causing the java process to run out of memory, not a cause of any problems.

We even got one of the people into the IRC channel and did lots of tests reporting the java memory size as he ran Preware many many times, to prove that Preware was not the cause of the memory error.

So we need the /var/log/messages file to progress any further, and we probably won't be responding individually to any reports about hanging unless the report includes an attachment with that information (or some other useful information other than "it hangs").

We're not doubting that people are having problems, but we do have serious doubts about whether Preware or the Package Manager service are the cause of those problems. In the two cases we have debugged so far, the cause was elsewhere, so we need more evidence to be able to track down exactly what is happening, and either help Palm or another homebrew author to fix it, or make Preware impervious to it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/12/2009 at 06:33 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Anyone having problems with Preware, please go to http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1889469

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I tried running Preware today and got the similar problem reported by others about Preware failing to startup properly, and the cell radio resetting.

I have attached a copy of my /var/log/messages and /var/log/report/javaoom files which does show the same problem of the java restarting from a heap full condition.

I hope this helps in searching for the problem... plee3
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    I tried running Preware today and got the similar problem reported by others about Preware failing to startup properly, and the cell radio resetting.

I have attached a copy of my /var/log/messages and /var/log/report/javaoom files which does show the same problem of the java restarting from a heap full condition.

I hope this helps in searching for the problem... plee3
    2009-09-12T16:53:38.429543Z [59491] castle user.crit java: Java heap full, exiting VM.

Another Java heap full problem. Same as the other two on first inspection.

The Package Manager service completes it's restart at:

2009-09-12T16:54:09.145294Z [59524] castle user.notice root: org.webosinternals.ipkgservice upstart: done

And Preware should be operating perfectly after that restart completes.

-- Rod
    Same! Sometimes preware loads right up,sometimes it gets the package Svc error, but then will load up fine if I try again after.???

Odd!
    Looking further at the OOM dump that plee3 posted contains a smoking gun for ipkgservice:

Thread #18: tid=1643 Name=org.webosinternals.ipkgservice Class=java.lang.Thread RunnableClass=org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.IPKGService Object=0x40791a1c
    RUNNING, has heap mutex
    java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.enlargeBuffer(AbstractStringBuilder.java:110)

If there is anyone reading this who is a Java guru, please contact me so we can smooth out the memory usage of ipkgservice.

http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=se...KGService.java

Lines 109 to 129, and 131 to 156.

I need help from a Java guru on how to reduce the memory usage of those two functions.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/12/2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Package Manager Service 0.8.7 has a revamped rawlist method which only does two allocs total.

If you are having problems with Preware causing the phone connection to reset, please try ipkgservice 0.8.7 and see if that fixes the problem.

It still does two 380Kb allocs for the PreCentral feed information, so if this doesn't fix it we will need to go to a more complex scheme of passing chunks of the file up the application at a time. That will take somewhat longer to implement and test, so please try this one first as a possible quick fix.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandosilva View Post
    Preware just F$^%ed my phone up. I had to go to sprint store to get a new one. I did every hard reset available to man.( webos doctor, full erase from phone, and from the palm website profile login, and a few others). I launched preware after its update and it disabled my network capabilities my phone began to continuously say no data connection. After using webos doctor the phone began to function once again, but now it randomly restarts. No worries though I got a new pre. Will this happen again, I really liked Preware, but not if its going to mess my pre up again.
    It is simply not possible for Preware to have any effect on a phone which persists through a visit to the webOS Doctor.

It is also simply not possible for Preware to interfere with your ability to use the webOS Doctor to reflash your phone.

If you are having a problem with Preware and version 0.8.6 of the package manager, then try version 0.8.7 of the package manager service and see whether that fixes the problem.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is simply not possible for Preware to have any effect on a phone which persists through a visit to the webOS Doctor.

It is also simply not possible for Preware to interfere with your ability to use the webOS Doctor to reflash your phone.

If you are having a problem with Preware and version 0.8.6 of the package manager, then try version 0.8.7 of the package manager service and see whether that fixes the problem.
    So far I've opened up Preware 3 times and no issues yet, but as I mentioned it's hard to get it to show up intentionally.

I'll definitely keep an eyes out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So far I've opened up Preware 3 times and no issues yet, but as I mentioned it's hard to get it to show up intentionally.

I'll definitely keep an eyes out though.
    That's good to hear, fingers crossed. Thanks to everyone who supplied the debug information we needed to diagnose the problem.

Since we're using facilities that are not documented, we don't know the limits, so during the beta period we really rely on people who can send in the info we need ...

-- Rod