Page 303 of 305 FirstFirst ... 203253293298299300301302303304305 LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 6094
    I am very frusterated I cant get preware to work. I get this error:

The service is not running. First try restarting preware, or reboot your phone and try again.

I have closed preware and reopened it and restarted my phone and get the same error.

I installed it using the webOS and finding it in the drop down menu.

what is wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanhockey View Post
    I am very frusterated I cant get preware to work. I get this error:

The service is not running. First try restarting preware, or reboot your phone and try again.

I have closed preware and reopened it and restarted my phone and get the same error.

I installed it using the webOS and finding it in the drop down menu.

what is wrong?

Thanks
    Just a heads up, make sure you include the version of WebOS and Preware your trying to run when you request help. When using Preware, you also need to have the package manager service installed. Did you include that in the initial install?
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Just a heads up, make sure you include the version of WebOS and Preware your trying to run when you request help. When using Preware, you also need to have the package manager service installed. Did you include that in the initial install?
    I never read anything in the instructions to instal the package manager service.

I actually got it to work by downloading a preware alpha and I didnt have package mangager. But now I downloaded it off OS with pck manager and it works. It takes like 2 min to start it though.

I also dont see where the themes are

I have webos 1.41 and the 0.9.38 preware, the latest
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanhockey View Post
    I never read anything in the instructions to instal the package manager service.

I actually got it to work by downloading a preware alpha and I didnt have package mangager. But now I downloaded it off OS with pck manager and it works. It takes like 2 min to start it though.

I also dont see where the themes are

I have webos 1.41 and the 0.9.38 preware, the latest
    'the instructions'? Which ones? All the ones we have written include Package Manager Service. (e.g. http://install.preware.org )

You also must have missed the splash screen on first startup which points out the Manage Feeds menu item ...

Please suggest better wordings for these things that would have made it clearer for you ...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What version of webOS are you running?

-- Rod
    webOS 1.4.1 ROW

I've installed preware plus the Package manager using WOSQI. No dice.
    The PM even showed up as an Icon after install. Rebooted, icon was hidden, but service still not running. Is there a way to simply configure the service to run (via WOSQI commandline)?
    Quote Originally Posted by kulf View Post
    webOS 1.4.1 ROW

I've installed preware plus the Package manager using WOSQI. No dice.
    The PM even showed up as an Icon after install. Rebooted, icon was hidden, but service still not running. Is there a way to simply configure the service to run (via WOSQI commandline)?
    I have no idea why the package manager service is not running for you.

At this point, your only option is to try Preware Alpha (which has it's own embedded C service, and does not need the separate Package Manager Service package.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have no idea why the package manager service is not running for you.

At this point, your only option is to try Preware Alpha (which has it's own embedded C service, and does not need the separate Package Manager Service package.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. Tried the alpha, but it has very little apps.
    I've been able to install v0.9.11 (with pmanager 0.9.20) now. Trying to update that.

EDIT: used QOSQI to update the package Manager to the latest version. Again, it is not running. Are you sure there's no problem with the manager? Perhaps it installs wrongly?
    Last edited by kulf; 05/06/2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Thanks Rod. Tried the alpha, but it has very little apps.
    I've been able to install v0.9.11 (with pmanager 0.9.20) now. Trying to update that.

EDIT: used QOSQI to update the package Manager to the latest version. Again, it is not running. Are you sure there's no problem with the manager? Perhaps it installs wrongly?
    Since you obviously didn't read the Preware splash screen which details how you use the Manage Feeds menu item to control what packages you see, is it possible that you've not followed http://install.preware.org correctly?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Well, I even tried the command line version now (Terminal).
    wget - no problem,
    sh - no problem.

Everything installs just fine (didnt bother installing any alpha versions). Found old versions, replaced them with newer ones. Still the manager ist not running.
    Well, I even tried the command line version now (Terminal).
    wget - no problem,
    sh - no problem.

Everything installs just fine (didnt bother installing any alpha versions). Found old versions, replaced them with newer ones. Still the manager ist not running.
    If Preware Alpha ran and loaded packages, why don't you just use that?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    If Preware Alpha ran and loaded packages, why don't you just use that?
    Well, just several hundread packages instead of more than two thousand were the reason why. As outlined above.
    Well, just several hundread packages instead of more than two thousand were the reason why. As outlined above.
    The solution (Manage Feeds) was outlined above too ...

-- Rod
    would it be possible 2 add a swipe to delete gesture for installed apps patches and so on in preware? Just a thought
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    The solution (Manage Feeds) was outlined above too ...
    Bad day for me today. Mea culpa.
    For some reason, preware alpha had the palm feed disabled. Didn't realize that. Now everything is fine. Alpha is working, showing 2700+ apps. Thank you

EDIT
    uninstalled the "old" preware version using preware alpha. First attempt gave a warning about uninstall failure for the PM, but then the PM uninstalled just fine. After a reboot, I reinstalled preware - now it is running like a charm. Don't know why all the other methods failed to remove and reinstall the PM properly.
    Last edited by kulf; 05/06/2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: good news
    If you do not want to be part of the testing of the release candidate for Preware 1.0, now would be a good time to disable your testing feeds.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Can someone tell me why when I try to install the Virtual Keyboard, I'm getting an error message saying this package is only for WebOS 1.4.2?

There is no such things as version 1.4.2 yet?

Thanks!

Rob

PS I'm on the latest version of Preware (.99)
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Preware 0.9.99 is now in the testing feed. It supercedes all of Preware 0.9.38, Package Manager Service 0.9.46 and Preware Alpha 0.9.68, replacing all of those with a single self-contained package.

The upgrade process that Preware executes this time around might have some oddness, but trust that it will sort itself out in the end. It's like trying to change the tyres on a moving car ...

-- Rod
    Preware 0.9.99 is now in the testing feed. It supercedes all of Preware 0.9.38, Package Manager Service 0.9.46 and Preware Alpha 0.9.68, replacing all of those with a single self-contained package.

The upgrade process that Preware executes this time around might have some oddness, but trust that it will sort itself out in the end. It's like trying to change the tyres on a moving car ...

-- Rod
    By clicking on upgrade does the upgrade process remove package manager service or will we need to remove it manually after upgrading?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    By clicking on upgrade does the upgrade process remove package manager service or will we need to remove it manually after upgrading?
    The upgrade process is designed to do this automatically. That is the key thing which is being tested in 0.9.99 ...

-- Rod
    do we need to uninstall Preware Alpha?