Page 30 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031323334354080130 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 6094
  1.    #581  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Unless I don't totally understand what Preware does?
    No, You do. That's all it does.
  2. #582  
    I echo the statements about suddenly receiving "Package Manager" errors & Preware throwing my phone into "Offline" mode. It is quite annoying & hope a fix is dropped soon.
    Follow Me On

  3. mlawrnce's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #583  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Did you look under "Installed Packages"? If already installed, you can select it from there and click on the "Remove" button.

    Hope this helps... plee3
    Got it, thanks very much!
  4. #584  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post

    Yes, we could add flags so we know what you should remove before an update (really, its just anything you've installed in the patches category.) And automatic removal of patches may be something we implement in the future. But an automatic reinstall of those patches after you upgrade webos could brick your phone.

    Before an update comes out, patch creators aren't getting any forewarning of what is changing in the framework (well, unless it leaks like 1.2 just did.) And an update to a patch to make it work with the new framework could take weeks or longer.

    If you absolutely MUST update the day the update comes out, You may be a while without your favorite patch. It's something you will have to play by ear, not something that will ever be automated.
    If patches contained WebOS version and target file checksums it would prevent people from applying an old patch to a new file/OS. Seems like an easy way to make it less dangerous to me.

    It would also allow you to "uninstall all patches" to prepare for a new WebOS version. Once the OS update is complete, only patches that exist for the new version would be installed.

    If the patch is a full file replacement don't replace unless both OS and destination file checksum matches.
  5. #585  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesktopMan View Post
    If patches contained WebOS version and target file checksums it would prevent people from applying an old patch to a new file/OS. Seems like an easy way to make it less dangerous to me.
    Yes but it would prevent 2 patches from touching the same file, even when they were completely compatible patches. BTW this is how the virtual keyboard patch does it currently (md5sum checks the files before applying), but I'm not in love with it.

    It would also allow you to "uninstall all patches" to prepare for a new WebOS version. Once the OS update is complete, only patches that exist for the new version would be installed.
    Not sure what you mean here, what would allow this?


    If the patch is a full file replacement don't replace unless both OS and destination file checksum matches.
    Patches either create or modify a file, there is no file replacement for patching.
  6. #586  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Yes but it would prevent 2 patches from touching the same file, even when they were completely compatible patches. BTW this is how the virtual keyboard patch does it currently (md5sum checks the files before applying), but I'm not in love with it.
    You could do this by calculating the result checksum instead. Try to patch and compare to a list of acceptable end result checksums. Yes it will mean a bit of work maintaining checksums for files that are patched by more than one patch. (How many are many? Two patches? Four?)

    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Not sure what you mean here, what would allow this?
    If all patches stored checksums (or target checksums) you could check if a previously installed patch still works on the new OS version and apply it.


    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Patches either create or modify a file, there is no file replacement for patching.
    That's what I assumed but I wasn't sure so I threw that in.
  7. #587  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesktopMan View Post
    You could do this by calculating the result checksum instead. Try to patch and compare to a list of acceptable end result checksums. Yes it will mean a bit of work maintaining checksums for files that are patched by more than one patch. (How many are many? Two patches? Four?)

    This would require patches created by many developers be tested to work in n! configurations, as well as n! checksums generated and stored into the array of acceptable checksums. Currently there aren't many that touch the same files, but it's still very early.

    Patches are also free to be created by anyone, and requiring a patch creator to go through n! configurations and generate n! checksums can get really out of hand. Not to mention, what if patches are missed from other feeds or other places. Do we then say, a certain group of patches require you to not install this other patch. Do we track down every possible patch all over the internet?

    The GNU patch binary does a good enough job of figuring things out, so that if a dry-run succeeds there isn't much danger in applying the patch. And the -R flag will successfully be able to reverse a patch using line numbers and context for line adjustments.


    If all patches stored checksums (or target checksums) you could check if a previously installed patch still works on the new OS version and apply it.
    I meant how does that enable the "uninstall all patches". That is more of an installer-specific thing based on category or type I think.
  8. #588  
    Also please anyone with any input on the patch design and process going forward, please contribute to the discussion here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-proposal.html
  9. #589  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    While I highly doubt Preware alone was able to completely screw up your phone (It just really doesn't do all that much,) it _IS_ beta software. You are using it at your own risk.


    We have gotten reports of temporary connection loss sometimes while java restarts, but only for a little while, and only when starting Preware, not continuously. If only you hadn't already swapped out your pre, we might have been able to get more information and possibly fix something if there was actually a problem with Preware.


    There are no guarantees that Preware will ever work on anyones phone. It is beta software.
    I was actually able to fix the network error. I had to hard reset the pre with webos doctor. But the random soft resets got to me. Other than that I love Preware. Im definitely going to be more careful downloading homebrew apps though.
  10. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #590  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ahh, it turns out that when I get the Package Manager service not running message, Java seems to be crashing and restarting, because the phone goes offline for a few seconds.
    I'm actually glad to see that others have been having similar issues with PreWare because I've had my suspicions but couldn't pinpoint why my phone kept going offline. It got worse after 8.5 and I would get the PMS is not working right warning, I would close it, reopen then it would work again. When I noticed the phone going offline as it was trying to open PW I just uninstalled it. Been a few days now w/o it and phone has been stable and connection is back to solid.
    I guess it's Java that's messing things up (from what I've read so far).?. It is a great app and I want to be able to use it. I was current with updates and am 99% I wasn't doing anything wrong. I hope this can be fixed soon.. .
  11. Yeorwned's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #591  
    Very smooth install. A few of the applications available don't actually installed but can't complain with the overall beauty.
  12. #592  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I'm actually glad to see that others have been having similar issues with PreWare because I've had my suspicions but couldn't pinpoint why my phone kept going offline. It got worse after 8.5 and I would get the PMS is not working right warning, I would close it, reopen then it would work again. When I noticed the phone going offline as it was trying to open PW I just uninstalled it. Been a few days now w/o it and phone has been stable and connection is back to solid.
    I guess it's Java that's messing things up (from what I've read so far).?. It is a great app and I want to be able to use it. I was current with updates and am 99% I wasn't doing anything wrong. I hope this can be fixed soon.. .
    Unless we get the contents of /var/log/messages from the people who are having problems, then we can't diagnose where the problem is or even begin to fix it.

    Preware has no known problems with the service. All the developers and alpha testers in the IRC channel have no known problems with the service. No-one with a problem has been able to give us a reproducible test case.

    Unless we get a reproducible test case, or the /var/log/messages log from a phone that is not operating correctly, then the only advice we can give is to reset your phone using the webOS Doctor. If there is a person who has a freshly webOS Doctor'ed phone, and the *only* thing they have installed is the Package Manager Service and Preware, and they did that using WebOS Quick Install 2.01 or later, then we'll be very interested in talking to that person directly. At the moment, the reports of problems in this thread unfortunately do not provide enough beta testing information to be useful.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #593  
    For anyone having problems with Preware 0.8.5 or later, please see http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1887875 and respond in that thread.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #594  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I had the same thing.. but after i hit remove then installed it.. worked like a charm.
    Just got another Pre, old one broke, and i installed preware and from preware installed My Flashlight (just like i did for my old Pre), but it doesnt work. The app is there, it just wont turn on. I have uninstalled Preware and flashlight and reinstalled both still nothing....any ideas guys? I like that app. ive already had to use it in an emergency and i want it back!!! Please and help...
  15. texasjack's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #595  
    Is your pre rooted because you can follow these steps:


    1. ROOT your Pre. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")
  16. #596  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasjack View Post
    Is your pre rooted because you can follow these steps:


    1. ROOT your Pre. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")
    If you follow those instructions, you have just installed a service on your Pre that allows any rogue webOS application to access all your personal information (and emails, and anything else you have on the Pre) and email it to anywhere in the world.

    See http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1829170 for details.

    I would strongly suggest that the owner of lunaware.com be a bit more careful about what they redistribute ... cause at the moment they are distributing a tarball with a *huge* security vulnerability in it.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17.    #597  
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    Just got another Pre, old one broke, and i installed preware and from preware installed My Flashlight (just like i did for my old Pre), but it doesnt work. The app is there, it just wont turn on. I have uninstalled Preware and flashlight and reinstalled both still nothing....any ideas guys? I like that app. ive already had to use it in an emergency and i want it back!!! Please and help...
    Did you remember to install the flashlight service also (from preware, the safe one)?
  18. #598  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Unless we get the contents of /var/log/messages from the people who are having problems, then we can't diagnose where the problem is or even begin to fix it.

    Preware has no known problems with the service. All the developers and alpha testers in the IRC channel have no known problems with the service. No-one with a problem has been able to give us a reproducible test case.

    Unless we get a reproducible test case, or the /var/log/messages log from a phone that is not operating correctly, then the only advice we can give is to reset your phone using the webOS Doctor. If there is a person who has a freshly webOS Doctor'ed phone, and the *only* thing they have installed is the Package Manager Service and Preware, and they did that using WebOS Quick Install 2.01 or later, then we'll be very interested in talking to that person directly. At the moment, the reports of problems in this thread unfortunately do not provide enough beta testing information to be useful
    Sorry about that, as I'm sure you know, it's always difficult to get an intermittent problem to happen when you WANT it to.

    From the messages file it seems it's this line that's most telling, I've also attached a log of all the messages from when I turned the screen back on (and Wifi came back up) to when the service started again:

    2009-09-12T03:47:49.211237Z [17137] castle user.crit java: Java heap full, exiting VM.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  19. #599  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sorry about that, as I'm sure you know, it's always difficult to get an intermittent problem to happen when you WANT it to.

    From the messages file it seems it's this line that's most telling, I've also attached a log of all the messages from when I turned the screen back on (and Wifi came back up) to when the service started again:

    2009-09-12T03:47:49.211237Z [17137] castle user.crit java: Java heap full, exiting VM.
    Thanks!! That's exactly the type of information we need.

    That log shows the Java heap full error, as you said, which restarts java-serviceboot, which restarts org.webosinternals.ipkgservice.

    org.webosinternals.ipkservice then starts fine.

    So you need to find out what is causing the Java heap full error.

    Can you access http://localhost:8083/ in the Pre browser and see what is using up all the memory in the Java heap?

    Also, can some Java gurus look at git.webos-internals.org Git - services/ipkgservice.git/blob - org/webosinternals/ipkgservice/IPKGService.java and see if they can see any memory leaks, in case the culprit is ipkgservice?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #600  
    As of right now after Java restarted, the summary menu from that link is reporting 3.03M free in the heap, so I'm not sure it'd give the information needed anyway, but I'm having trouble figuring which of those options I'd use to see how much memory each service is using. Thread stats and thread top only show usertime and kerntime.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions