Page 3 of 305 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Is there an alternative way to install PreWare other than through WebOS Quick Install?
    Thing is, that won't install on my Mac and apparently nobody can help me.

I have a rooted Pre so... is there something I can run from the commandline to get it going?
    Currently using my MacBook and used WebOSquickinstall fine. I can help you if you need it, but the instructions are the same for mac/pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    Currently using my MacBook and used WebOSquickinstall fine. I can help you if you need it, but the instructions are the same for mac/pc.
    I can also help, I'm running WebOS quickinstall on my Macbook as well with no problems at all.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    How long does it take to load the first time --- it's been loading for what seems like hours.
    This usually indicates a slight deviation from the installation instructions, meaning that the service has not started.

An alternate cause is that your Pre does not have network connectivity.

If a reboot does not clear the problem, and you are able to access the internet with the browser on the Pre, then please check the List Configs menu item in the Preware main screen. If the webos-internals.conf file indicates that it is unconfigured, then you have not installed the Package Manager Service properly.

If all else fails, please join the #webos-internals IRC channel at freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) (using your PreCentral nickname so we know who you are) and ask for help debugging the problem there.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eztech View Post
    I've had this same dam problem IT IS NOT CLEARLY STATED IN PREWARE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS you need to install preware via osquickinstall and also install package manager service i belive its in the same directory so install preware + package manager service
    Actually is quite clear..... Its says to use WebOSQuickInstall to install both. I had an error with the package manager service. I pressed " Install " to install again. It took that time.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Thanks for this new app. Preware is simply awesome. It is so cool to see all this come together so fast for Palm's new platform.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ...(we had a problem previously where the closed source MyTether application was using a proof-of-concept command line service incorrectly and introduced a huge security vulnerability as a result)...

Is this refering to webOSInternals.services? Is this somehow dangerous?

Also, with mytether 1.5 installed, should I see the mytether service under the list of installed apps in preware? For some reason I see webOSInternals.services still installed but not the mytether service. Mytether 1.5 works fine so go figure.. Installed via root with no problems.

One suggestion:

Since it sounds like some of the patches and things like the keyboard should be uninstalled before updating webos, perhaps preware could contain a option to "Get me ready for an update" that would undo everything necessary before updating. I don't know what the consequences are for not undoing these things, but I'm a little scared to find out.

Thanks again, keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Is this refering to webOSInternals.services? Is this somehow dangerous?
    Yes, you should remove any org.webosinternals.services package immediately. It was some proof of concept source code that we wrote to prove that you could execute a shell command as root from webOS, and the MyTether author just went and redistributed the package which regard for the fact that it was a huge security hole.

Also, with mytether 1.5 installed, should I see the mytether service under the list of installed apps in preware? For some reason I see webOSInternals.services still installed but not the mytether service. Mytether 1.5 works fine so go figure.. Installed via root with no problems.
    The MyTether author installs things in the wrong place. You should use the installer written by the WebOS Quick Install author to install MyTether properly.

One suggestion:

Since it sounds like some of the patches and things like the keyboard should be uninstalled before updating webos, perhaps preware could contain a option to "Get me ready for an update" that would undo everything necessary before updating. I don't know what the consequences are for not undoing these things, but I'm a little scared to find out.
    That's not a bad idea - please add it to the suggestions page at Application talk:Preware - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyheli View Post
    Actually is quite clear..... Its says to use WebOSQuickInstall to install both. I had an error with the package manager service. I pressed " Install " to install again. It took that time.
    Same. Installation documentation on webos internals was very clear on what to do. Everything is working as it should.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    the backspace key on virtual keyboard isn't working for me. Is anyone else having this problem?
    It installed fine, and I installed the keyboard patch. I restarted the pre. Now Preware will not load. It just says "loading" and the circle spins, but it never loads.. Tried restarting a few times and still wont work.. Ideas?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    It installed fine, and I installed the keyboard patch. I restarted the pre. Now Preware will not load. It just says "loading" and the circle spins, but it never loads.. Tried restarting a few times and still wont work.. Ideas?
    ditto
    I uninstalled and then installed again, and it is working. I am worried as soon as I restart it will not work anymore.

*** Update *** Restarted Pre and it is working..
    Last edited by Loonytunes; 08/30/2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyvt View Post
    ditto
    that happens to me when i leave preware in the background while loading so i dont do that anymore and works
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    We had a period of 20 minutes where the feed contained a description in a package which stopped preware from loading the metadata. It's now been fixed.

-- Rod
    We had a period of 20 minutes where the feed contained a description in a package which stopped preware from loading the metadata. It's now been fixed.

-- Rod
    When will the update become available and will it be OTA or have to do it through quick install?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    When will the update become available and will it be OTA or have to do it through quick install?
    The problem was in the feed, not in Preware. No update required, the feed has been fixed.

The next version of Preware should be able to handle the erroneous feed if it ever happens again.

Here's a teaser for 0.8.0: http://i30.tinypic.com/2jcxcef.png

-- Rod
    i downloaded them properly... was trying to get rid of the keyboard app... like a nucklehead i deleted internals... reinstalled it but preware gives me the error of internals not running.... now im trying to install the preware again and nothing im doing it exactly like it says to but i did something... when i go to uninstall it shows only one file but mot preware... if anyone has any other ideas.... im guessing im going to have webosdoc reset and reinstall all my appts again... thanks
    [

The MyTether author installs things in the wrong place. You should use the installer written by the WebOS Quick Install author to install MyTether properly.

Should we delete the current version before installing the one through Presare?
    Laissez Faire
    k should uninstall mytether then try to reinstall preware... uninstalled it reinstalled preware anspackage mngr... i can see package mngr icon but no preware
    Last edited by sreyes; 08/30/2009 at 12:03 PM.
    how come in preware....i just opened it...i tapped on list everything so the top apps should be the ones that were updated recently...the 1st one on my list is virtual keyboard which i already have installed...i tap it and it said that it was updated 8/30/2009 and ive had it for 2 days...and it just says remove but that i dont require update....does preware automatically update tweaks or wut? i dont get it
    The problem was in the feed, not in Preware. No update required, the feed has been fixed.

The next version of Preware should be able to handle the erroneous feed if it ever happens again.

Here's a teaser for 0.8.0: http://i30.tinypic.com/2jcxcef.png

-- Rod
    that looks very nice when is this version coming out? and it'll prompt for an OTA update right?