Page 299 of 305 FirstFirst ... 199249289294295296297298299300301302303304 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by pakiplayer421 View Post
    So i updated to 1.4 with out removing patches.
    I used WebOS quick Install to reinstall preware and package manager service.
    You didn't say which versions of those three things you used.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I googled quickly and found links at http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps and http://www.precentral.net/secure-hand-pre-and-security which discuss this issue, but don't have the time to read the articles right now. Both, however, point out that there's a risk in leaving your phone in dev mode.
    I did not see any discussion of the risk of leaving DEV mode on in the first link. The second link suggests that DEV mode left on can allow someone to get a shell even if the PIN screen is up. Neither of those articles suggest that there are additional privileges granted to already installed apps when DEV mode is on.

The risk associated with the 2nd link is a risk that I hadn't considered. But since I don't have a PIN code set up on the phone in any case, it doesn't seem like much of a risk.

@rwhitby, I can't find anything on webos-internals.org that discusses security issues related to leaving DEV mode on permanently? Am I just not looking very hard or is it not there?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I am not aware of any security risk in leaving Dev Mode on. I personally set it to on in the meta-doctor even before the device is flashed, and it is never turned off.

There is, however, a <1% RAM usage overhead by novacomd if you leave it turned on.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You didn't say which versions of those three things you used.

-- Rod
    preware 0.9.3.6
    Web OS quick install version 3.02
    not sure about which package manager service
    Hi all,
    I've noticed for a few versions of preware and for preware alpha, that after running the app, that a running instance of the email app is killed, and I have to relaunch.
    When I do that, instead of just going to the normal All Inboxes screen, it goes to the initial Add account screen.

Has anyone else seen that?

Thanks
    baldric
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    Hi all,
    I've noticed for a few versions of preware and for preware alpha, that after running the app, that a running instance of the email app is killed, and I have to relaunch.
    When I do that, instead of just going to the normal All Inboxes screen, it goes to the initial Add account screen.

Thanks
    baldric
    I've noticed the 'Initial Add Account Screen' but I can't remember if I had been in Preware prior to running the mail app.

I should check that out and see if that is what is causing it to happen to me.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I am wondering if it would be possible to add a feature where Preware could create a list of all current patches and put that list on a backup file on the USB Drive? Then when doing a emergency patch recovery or doctor we could install Preware and pull up that backup list file off the USB Drive and let Preware re-download and re-apply all patches on the list? This would save going through them one by one and installing them again. I know I am a bit spoiled, was just an idea I thought of while setting here doing a Repair Utility scan and reapplying patches to get things back like new as I am having a lot of stability issues as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    I am wondering if it would be possible to add a feature where Preware could create a list of all current patches and put that list on a backup file on the USB Drive? Then when doing a emergency patch recovery or doctor we could install Preware and pull up that backup list file off the USB Drive and let Preware re-download and re-apply all patches on the list? This would save going through them one by one and installing them again. I know I am a bit spoiled, was just an idea I thought of while setting here doing a Repair Utility scan and reapplying patches to get things back like new as I am having a lot of stability issues as of late.
    The combination of Saved Packages List and the Save/Restore app provides exactly that.

See http://bit.ly/holy-grail-of-homebrew

-- Rod
    I'm running 0.9.36 and there is an error downloading from the patch feed. as a result I can't update or download any patches.
    I'm running 0.9.36 and there is an error downloading from the patch feed. as a result I can't update or download any patches.
    I'm having a bit of an issue. I've been using Preware for a few weeks now and haven't had any issues. Today my Pre stopped downloading and deleting apps. It didn't matter if they were official or homebrew. I went ahead and used the "Erase apps & data" utility on the Pre and that fixed the problem I was having.

Now when I try and reinstall Preware I get an error that says "The Package Manager Service you are running is not compatible with this version of Preware. Please update it with WebOS Quick Install. [2]".

I installed the package manager service and Preware the same as I had before using WebOS Quick Install. I installed both from "webOS-internals feed (all)". Not sure what the issue is. Uninstalled and reinstalled sever times, no luck. Uninstalled using Quick Install's Device Management option.

Any ideas on what I can do to get Preware back up?

Package Manager Service v0.9.45
    Preware v0.9.36
    Webos v1.4.1
    WebOS Quick Install v2.03
    I figured it out. I was just using an old version of Quick Install. I installed it with v3.12 and it's working fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    baldric
    Rebooted my Pre, ran mail app, got inboxes view.

Ran Preware 936 (updated Govnah), closed Preware, ran mail app, got add mail account window.

So, in a word, Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    Rebooted my Pre, ran mail app, got inboxes view.

Ran Preware 936 (updated Govnah), closed Preware, ran mail app, got add mail account window.

So, in a word, Yes.
    Is that 100% repeatable for you? If it is, then we should be able to fix it. 99% of solving a problem like this is just getting a repeatable test case to debug.

-- Rod
    Well, I installed Uber-kernal in between and it is not doing it anymore. It was repeatable up to that point.
    The other thing that is different is that I did not update any packages... will have to wait for a package that needs updating to test that vector.
    Tried installing a random package, and the behaviour did not appear.

Maybe try uninstalling uber-kernal and see it the behaviour re-appears. But cannot do that right now. Will update as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    Well, I installed Uber-kernal in between and it is not doing it anymore. It was repeatable up to that point.
    The other thing that is different is that I did not update any packages... will have to wait for a package that needs updating to test that vector.
    Tried installing a random package, and the behaviour did not appear.

Maybe try uninstalling uber-kernal and see it the behaviour re-appears. But cannot do that right now. Will update as I can.
    Thanks for trying. We really are interested in getting repeatable test cases for any of these transient problems that are being attributed (rightly or wrongly, dunno yet) to Preware.

-- Rod
    Just doctored phone, put in dev code and went to download Preware and package manager on WOSQI and it just doesnt install, what else i gotta do?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Just doctored phone, put in dev code and went to download Preware and package manager on WOSQI and it just doesnt install, what else i gotta do?
    Make sure that you have wosQI v3.12 installed. If that doesn't work go to the Preware wiki and you can install Preware via bootstrap.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The combination of Saved Packages List and the Save/Restore app provides exactly that.

See http://bit.ly/holy-grail-of-homebrew

-- Rod
    Hey Rod,
    Thanks for the help! Thanks for the link. I am having trouble finding the information I need to enter the feed information into Preware to download the Alpha version. Could you help me?

Edit: Found test feed information at this link. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds. When updating feeds on Preware, I got a new version of Preware 0.9.37, not the Preware Alpha, but it includes the Saved Package List and works fine. Thanks! Between Jason's Repair Utility and Your Preware and Save/Restore tools, I am a HAPPY person!
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 04/25/2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Does anyone know of a patch that will superimpose the number of unread messages over the mail or messaging icons?
    Thanks....arniep