Page 298 of 305 FirstFirst ... 198248288293294295296297298299300301302303 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,960 of 6094
    2. I had installed the Multi Mod patch but now I find that I cannot update or remove it. I always get an error message.

I'm having the same issue with MultiMod. I cannot delete it through WOSQI. It has an error message about some "hunks" missing. What's up?
  2.    #5942  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebus2 View Post
    I guess I worried too fast ;-) Could it be that this was due to server dysfonctioning ?

Probably yes since this happened only while using Preware and a wlan connection. When I later d/led using 3G I had no problems at all.
    Yeah, that error just means you couldn't get to the site. Almost always only happens when people are on their own connection via wifi. And we can't really solve problems with peoples internet connections.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpluth View Post
    Any help or suggestions with these issues would be greatly appreciated!
    #1. This is a preware/ipkgservice thing, I believe rwhitby pushed a new version of the alpha with new code in an attempt to mitigate that problem, you might give it a shot.

#2 & #3. These are package (specifically patch package) problems. Not a problem with preware. Which makes this thread not the best place to discuss them or get help.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    When I run the Preware program, the update option is greyed out and won't run. Do I need to do something to activate the update?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I'm sure others can explain it better than I can, but so far as I understand it, a decent analogy would be that leaving your phone in developer mode is like disabling your firewall on your computer.
    Really? I'd like to understand this more. Do you have some references?

As I understand developer mode it doesn't actually change any of the network settings. It just makes it so that you can plug a USB cable in and then access unix. But that all of this still requires physical access to the device.

Does leaving devmode on increase remote access to the device? If not, then I don't see how turning it off helps you at all. Anyone with physical access can easily reenable devmode.

I leave devmode enabled on my phone for convenience sake. If this really does make it more susceptible to attack remotely then I need to disable that. If it doesn't then I don't see what the problem is.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Really? I'd like to understand this more. Do you have some references?

As I understand developer mode it doesn't actually change any of the network settings. It just makes it so that you can plug a USB cable in and then access unix. But that all of this still requires physical access to the device.

Does leaving devmode on increase remote access to the device? If not, then I don't see how turning it off helps you at all. Anyone with physical access can easily reenable devmode.

I leave devmode enabled on my phone for convenience sake. If this really does make it more susceptible to attack remotely then I need to disable that. If it doesn't then I don't see what the problem is.
    As I understand it, and I'm not professing to be any expert whatsoever, it's not that the phone would be more susceptible to a remote attack, but rather that code on the phone itself could more easily be used to exploit the phone. In other words, an app that you installed/already installed might then be able to wreak havoc because you're in dev mode. If you absolutely trust 100% all the apps, patches, tweaks, themes, etc. you've installed on your phone, there's probably no risk, but on the off chance that you install something that has malicious code embedded within the programming, leaving the phone in dev mode will allow access and possible damage. Again, I'm no expert at all, but I've read time and time again to turn off dev mode except when you absolutely need it (i.e. - need to hack your own phone ). I googled quickly and found links at http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps and http://www.precentral.net/secure-hand-pre-and-security which discuss this issue, but don't have the time to read the articles right now. Both, however, point out that there's a risk in leaving your phone in dev mode. I'm sure someone like oil, Rod, Eric G, and any of the other WebOS Internals crew can explain any associated risks pretty easily if you reach out to them.
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post
    When I run the Preware program, the update option is greyed out and won't run. Do I need to do something to activate the update?
    thanks
    Do you mean that the "Package Updates" at the top of the main screen is grayed out? If yes, that just means that you have no updates available (none are needed) If that's not what you're referring to, where specifically are you finding this grayed out update option?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Do you mean that the "Package Updates" at the top of the main screen is grayed out? If yes, that just means that you have no updates available (none are needed) If that's not what you're referring to, where specifically are you finding this grayed out update option?
    Yes, I meant the top of the main screen is greyed out- thanks for the reply.
    its been awhile before i could get my question out but I am running on the latest upsate for palm 1.4.1.1 and preware does not work it will sometimes load to like 2-3 feeds and wont go any further sometime wont even load just says downloading feeds. I was just thinking about removing it with WOQI and then applying it again. Would that work? or should i do somehing else? Please let me know i really miss using this app
    I just added a custom feed to Preware 0.9.36, and the packages show up in the "complete list" (sorry don't know the exact wording, using German).
    The custom feed however doesn't show up in the available and installed packages list.

Is this a bug of Preware or can this be caused by the Packages file itself and/or the feed name given when adding the feed to Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by palimpalim View Post
    I just added a custom feed to Preware 0.9.36, and the packages show up in the "complete list" (sorry don't know the exact wording, using German).
    The custom feed however doesn't show up in the available and installed packages list.

Is this a bug of Preware or can this be caused by the Packages file itself and/or the feed name given when adding the feed to Preware?
    What feed did you add? If the feed is not created correctly it can cause this.

-- Rod
    Oh oh.

This morning I had a couple of strange lockups. (I had to remove my battery to reboot each time.) Now, I have a couple of problems.

Firstly, all of my apps are showing up in my first launcher page. I have a total of 10 pages, so moving them all back will be a real pain.

Secondly, when I run Preware, it tells me that I don't have any app installed. It looks like all the feeds are working, it's just not recognizing any of my installed apps.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What feed did you add? If the feed is not created correctly it can cause this.

-- Rod
    A private one that I and colleagues have set up to test some apps. The Packages file looks like this:

Code:
    Package: de.machtnix.fantasie
    Version: 1.0.3
    Section: misc
    Architecture: all
    MD5Sum: efaab98d0fa18b121cf2523261a448b5
    Size: 280260
    Filename: de.machtnix.fantasie_1.0.3_all.ipk
    Description: Fantasie
    Maintainer: My name
    Source: { "Title":"Fantasie", "LastUpdated":"1271679240", "Icon":"http://xxxxx.homedns.org/preware/icons/icon_fantasie.png", "Homepage":"", "License":"Closed Source", "FullDescription":"<p>The description for Fantasie</p>", "Category":"Utilities", "Screenshots":["http://xxxxx.homedns.org/preware/screenshots/fantasie1.png"], "Source":"", "Type":"Application", "Feed":"danielseinzeugs" }
    I've set up the feed with http://xxxxx.homedns.org/preware as the URL and danielseinzeugs as the feed name. I can see the app in the complete list but not in the other lists, neither as app nor the feed.

I also added one of the testing feeds from Preware and didn't found them either in the list of available packages (feeds).
    just a quick question, for some reason, preware has suddenly got 0 installed apps patches and packages saved!Is their anyway to 'rescan' or update?as under availavle apps and patches, I now have the option to install, apps and patches I already have installed??
    Last edited by phil.hsr; 04/21/2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    just a quick question, for some reason, preware has suddenly got 0 installed apps patches and packages saved!Is their anyway to 'rescan' or update?as under availavle apps and patches, I now have the option to install, apps and patches I already have installed??
    As noted above, I have had the exact thing happen to me today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    As noted above, I have had the exact thing happen to me today.
    Did either of you happen to run WebOS Quick Install at the same time as the app catalog was doing a background installation? If so, please report your circumstance to Jason Robitaille (the WebOS Quick Install author).

To recover, run the Emergency Reconstruction Utility.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did either of you happen to run WebOS Quick Install at the same time as the app catalog was doing a background installation? If so, please report your circumstance to Jason Robitaille (the WebOS Quick Install author).

To recover, run the Emergency Reconstruction Utility.

-- Rod
    I definitely was not running a WebOS Quick Install while doing a background installation.

And, the Emergency Reconstruction Utility worked.

Do you think the corruption I noticed on the launcher pages is related, or just a coincidence? Do you have any suggestions for restoring the placement of my apps across all the various launcher pages, other than painfully dragging and dropping?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I definitely was not running a WebOS Quick Install while doing a background installation.

And, the Emergency Reconstruction Utility worked.

Do you think the corruption I noticed on the launcher pages is related, or just a coincidence? Do you have any suggestions for restoring the placement of my apps across all the various launcher pages, other than painfully dragging and dropping?
    I think you have encountered some sort of corruption unrelated to Preware and WOSQI then, and I don't have a solution for restoring the icon placement.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I did a search in this thread for a post related to patch installations in preware and the long delay after pressing "Later" to do a luna restart. I recall someone asking about this before, but nothing in the search results, so I'm going to ask again. Why is there such a long delay after installing a patch when you press to do a luna reset "Later"?? With as long as it takes, I probably am better off just doing the luna restart right then. Any reason for this, or is there some way to correct it? Is this a known issue in preware? Thanks for any assistance on this!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    I did a search in this thread for a post related to patch installations in preware and the long delay after pressing "Later" to do a luna restart. I recall someone asking about this before, but nothing in the search results, so I'm going to ask again. Why is there such a long delay after installing a patch when you press to do a luna reset "Later"?? With as long as it takes, I probably am better off just doing the luna restart right then. Any reason for this, or is there some way to correct it? Is this a known issue in preware? Thanks for any assistance on this!
    It's running the Palm rescan service at that point. We don't know why it takes so long for the Palm rescan service to complete. It seems to have gotten longer in 1.4 ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    So i updated to 1.4 with out removing patches.
    I used WebOS quick Install to reinstall preware and package manager service.

I followed this guide Portal:Updating webOS Versions - WebOS Internals

but i still cant install patches of some sorts. e.g. I cant install the virtual keyboard, 4x4 icons and other stuff.
    Now when i start up preware and update all, an error comes up almost immediately saying
    "failure during 'update' operation Collected errors;,ipkg_downlaod: ERROR: COmmand failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P..................."
    and bunch of other errors. I hit okay and proceeds to update all the feeds. But when i try to remove a patch like 4x4 icons v3(it was install previously but does not show up) it says error user consent requested for pre-remove script execution.

When i try to install the Virtual Keyboard ....well it just froze and shut off, but last time i tried it got an error msg.