Page 29 of 305 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The question is: Why is Java restarting? Preware does not intentionally cause that, and there could be any number of reasons (e.g. out of memory from some other app) which could cause it.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages ?
    Unfortunately I just rebooted the Pre entirely to put it back into dev mode, so honestly, I'm not quite sure when in the messages file it would've even happened. I'll keep an eye out for it next time though.
  2.    #562  
    You can always rm the messages file.
    The question is: Why is Java restarting? Preware does not intentionally cause that, and there could be any number of reasons (e.g. out of memory from some other app) which could cause it.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages ?

-- Rod
    I think it has something to do with the package manager service.. Happens both for luna manager app and preware. The error pops up java restarts and now it works without error message... Both apps. So ya seems like it happens when service is called for
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    You can always rm the messages file.
    Just to clarify, as in, remove it so that next time it's not nearly so long when I next try to run Preware?
  5.    #565  
    Yeah.

And, it is listed by date. Shouldn't be too hard to find where it is in the file with vi if you remember when it happened.
    Is there a way Preware can load successfully when you get a notification...when I'm loading Preware it loads perfectly everytime....except when I get a notification for email or txt msg its annoying...anyways to fix that? Yes I know restart Preware but anyways Preware can load perfectly wiith notification?
  7.    #567  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Is there a way Preware can load successfully when you get a notification...when I'm loading Preware it loads perfectly everytime....except when I get a notification for email or txt msg its annoying...anyways to fix that? Yes I know restart Preware but anyways Preware can load perfectly wiith notification?
    I'm sure it can once we figure out why it happens.

It's not like failing to load is how it's supposed to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I'm sure it can once we figure out why it happens.

It's not like failing to load is how it's supposed to work.
    Oh I understand that...it works perfectly just sying it stops loading when a notification comes in
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Preware does not kill your signal by design, so this must be a problem that has not been found in the alpha and beta testing so far.

I don't have a Pre, so can't test it myself. You can help fix that at http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...needs-pre.html ...

In the meantime, I'll need you to somehow access the /var/log/messages file (perhaps using Internalz or Linux access) and post the contents of that file somewhere where I can look at it.

-- Rod
    I wasn't bagging on your application. I just meant that I'm now afraid to use Preware, as it seems to completely shut down the signal going to my phone. And the Pre never seems to get a consistent signal again until I restart it. This happens virtually every time I open it now (newest version of Preware). My phone is currently in developer mode and I have a few other homebrew apps on it, but nothing extreme past that.

I'd love to help out, but I have no clue how to access the log files and my linux skills are rusty at best.
    Same issue here. I've had no problem in past but all of the sudden .. I launch Preware (vers0.7.7) and the circle spins but nothing ever loads. I didn't know if having developer mode enabled/disabled made any difference so I enabled it and still no success opening Preware. With patience, the device finally threw this error: "org.webosinternals.ipkgservice is not running".

I'll try K4's advice even though Preware has worked for me before.

If that doesn't work, I'll be looking for an alternative to removing the on-screen keyboard in preparation for the release of WebOS 1.2?
    FYI for anyone else having same issue - I continued to wait and the app finally loaded but first four menu options (App updates, available apps, available patches, installed apps) were grayed out. The last option (list of everything) wasn't grayed out but when I select it, it pops a window and immediately returns to the main menu.

Now, taking action on K4's advice.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I've recently had problems myself. IPK manager not running from time to time. At times it knocks my phone offline. The best thing about Preware is the fact that it doesn't get held up by the install failed error. The bad thing, now I can't download anything from the official app catalog.
    I very rarely get the package manager service is not running error, but it does happen sometimes even if you've installed it correctly. Best thing to do is an Orange+Sym+R and reboot the phone, guaranteed to solve the issue.
    Thanks folks. I'm back in to Preware BUT, Available Patches menu option is grayed out which is where I remember finding the Virtual Keyboard. No worries though, I can still get to the Virtual Keyboard by looking under 'List of Everything'. When I find it, I click on it and the 'remove' button is there.

Perhaps vers 0.7.7 of Preware is dead. Just to add to K4's advice for others that may be having problems, here is what I did:

1)Connected Pre to PC and started WebOS quick install. Developer mode on the Pre set to on of course.
    2)Navigated in quick install to Tools/Device Management, selected preware, clicked uninstall then did the same for package manager service. The versions I had installed on the device were both 0.7.7.
    3)clicked on application button (below the red minus sign on right) and chose webos internals(all) from the drop down list. They didn't show up in the webos internals(pre) list as noted by K4.
    4)selected package manager service, clicked on download, closed the list and then installed package manager service.
    5)repeated steps 3 and 4 for preware.

Then I noticed the icon for preware was missing from my launcher (all pages) so I uninstalled it and installed it again. Bingo.

Thanks again to all for the help.
    Whoops my bad, I thought it would be in WebOS-internals (Pre) should be right? :P

The latest version is 0.8.5 which fixes alot of bugs and speed increases tremendously. I suggest upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhawksr1 View Post
    Thanks folks. I'm back in to Preware BUT, Available Patches menu option is grayed out which is where I remember finding the Virtual Keyboard. No worries though, I can still get to the Virtual Keyboard by looking under 'List of Everything'. When I find it, I click on it and the 'remove' button is there.
    "Installed Packages"...
    I am also getting the lots of the errors mentioned above. Its pretty buggy. It is also knocking my phone offline at times but it comes back after I kill Preware. I have learned that if you just keep killing it and reloading it, eventually it will work the way it supposed to.

When it does work, it is an awesome program.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Preware just F$^%ed my phone up. I had to go to sprint store to get a new one. I did every hard reset available to man.( webos doctor, full erase from phone, and from the palm website profile login, and a few others). I launched preware after its update and it disabled my network capabilities my phone began to continuously say no data connection. After using webos doctor the phone began to function once again, but now it randomly restarts. No worries though I got a new pre. Will this happen again, I really liked Preware, but not if its going to mess my pre up again.
    Last edited by orlandosilva; 09/11/2009 at 12:24 PM.
  19.    #579  
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandosilva View Post
    Preware just F$^%ed my phone up. I had to go to sprint store to get a new one.
    While I highly doubt Preware alone was able to completely screw up your phone (It just really doesn't do all that much,) it _IS_ beta software. You are using it at your own risk.

I launched preware after its update and it disabled my network capabilities my phone began to continuously say no data connection.
    We have gotten reports of temporary connection loss sometimes while java restarts, but only for a little while, and only when starting Preware, not continuously. If only you hadn't already swapped out your pre, we might have been able to get more information and possibly fix something if there was actually a problem with Preware.

No worries though I got a new pre. Will this happen again, I really liked Preware, but not if its going to mess my pre up again.
    There are no guarantees that Preware will ever work on anyones phone. It is beta software.
    Oh, man I wish Preware would have messed up my phone, I have an Oero phone that is driving me crazy more and more, and have no real reason to turn it in for a replacement at this time.

Preware is solid on my phone. Must have installed some junk at one point or gotten a corrupted file. The only thing Preware does that I know of is install 'other peoples' software. So if that piece of software you are installing has a bad script file in it, I guess it could mess up the phone. The Preware software is only allowing that script to run.

Unless I don't totally understand what Preware does?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)