Page 281 of 305 FirstFirst ... 181231271276277278279280281282283284285286291 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,620 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's a bug in WebOS 1.4 - Preware is not the only app which triggers the Palm bug. Nothing we can do about it but wait for 1.4.1
    I've had luck eliminating the "screen freeze during unlock problem" by doing a luna restart after I use Preware for updating or installing anything.

Prior to that, any time I would use Preware to update or install a patch or app and let the phone go to sleep, when I would try to wake up/unlock the screen it would freeze then eventually restart. This happened pretty much every time I used Preware after webOS 1.4.0.

I understand it's not a Preware issue but just wanted to point out that by immediately doing a luna restart after using Preware, I haven't had the screen freeze problem. A good workaround (at least in my case) until Palm fixes the issue.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Love the work you guys have done with preware. I have a quick question. are there any plans to have preware associate its self with .ipk and .patch file formats? this say i download and ipk .or .patch away from home i can either load preware let it check a specified folder to see if there is anything to be installed or i can just click on the file and have preware launch and ask to install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    Love the work you guys have done with preware. I have a quick question. are there any plans to have preware associate its self with .ipk and .patch file formats? this say i download and ipk .or .patch away from home i can either load preware let it check a specified folder to see if there is anything to be installed or i can just click on the file and have preware launch and ask to install it.
    Being able to load a random ipkg file breaks the security model of Preware, which relies on there being feeds at which rogue malware packages can be stopped before they do too much damage. Similarly for patches, where a WebOS Internals developer scans each submitted patch for security vulnerabilities before it is released into the feed.

Having such a feature associated with file extensions then opens up a whole new area of social engineering attacks: "Want a great new screensaver program for free? Click on this link (and not be aware that it's installing a rootkit which sends your bank details to a botnet)."

Of course, there are plenty of ways to load such files through other means (WebOS Quick Install, ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps, palm-install, etc) ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Last week my phone updated to 1.4 with no problems until today.

When I woke up, my phone said that I needed to re-connect to my Palm Profile and reboot my phone.

After I did, Preware, as well as all of my other Homebrew apps, were no longer on my Pre.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Last week my phone updated to 1.4 with no problems until today.

When I woke up, my phone said that I needed to re-connect to my Palm Profile and reboot my phone.

After I did, Preware, as well as all of my other Homebrew apps, were no longer on my Pre.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Yes, this profile reset issue has been reported by a number of people on PreCentral and also the Palm forums.

It is not related to homebrew or Preware use. People who have never even put their phone in developer mode have reported it.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Not related to preware but to the current discussion.. Every once in a while.. my email client does something similar. It reverts back to the page when you first doctor or erase your phone and asks me to add an email account. My other accounts are still there but I've never seen that (add email account) screen pop up before.

Until 1.4... I had 0 problems w/ my pre... Small glitches that I've been able to easily remedy but.. damn.. 1.4 is fubar.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Not related to preware but to the current discussion.. Every once in a while.. my email client does something similar. It reverts back to the page when you first doctor or erase your phone and asks me to add an email account. My other accounts are still there but I've never seen that (add email account) screen pop up before.

Until 1.4... I had 0 problems w/ my pre... Small glitches that I've been able to easily remedy but.. damn.. 1.4 is fubar.
    I've had the same issue pop up randomly but not enough to bother me. I've started rebooting the phone at the end of the night right before bed and all the small glitches I've had seemed to stop other than a random lock up or strange screen from time to time. I wouldn't say the entire update was fubar. lol
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    I've had the same issue pop up randomly but not enough to bother me. I've started rebooting the phone at the end of the night right before bed and all the small glitches I've had seemed to stop other than a random lock up or strange screen from time to time. I wouldn't say the entire update was fubar. lol
    True.. I take some of that back. I'm stoked about the video capabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    True.. I take some of that back. I'm stoked about the video capabilities!

yepper i have the same thing sometimes
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Yes, this profile reset issue has been reported by a number of people on PreCentral and also the Palm forums.

It is not related to homebrew or Preware use. People who have never even put their phone in developer mode have reported it.

-- Rod
    Rod, I like how you are always going through forum threads; looking to help people using your software! I wish every developer cared like this.
    (I Know This Is Off Topic, But I Just Wanted To Say It At Least Once.)
    Hi all, i already wrote this, but i made another try and i had the same results. I had doctored my phone at the time of 1.4 update and then installed preware as always, but then had the reboots problems. On some thread smbody talked about similar problems solved removing preware, and in fact it worked for me too, once i remove also the package manager.
    i know it has been many times said that it's a bug in webos, but then, i had no more the reboots. Finally some days ago i wanted to give again a try to Preware, cause it's surely a very nice and useful app, but then, again, reboots restarted. Weird.

I hope that Palm will solve its bug, but in the meantime is there anyway to approach this problem as to have preware installed and have no reboots?

I also noted a higher battery drain, but that's maybe due to signal strength.
    Thanks! and i agree with the 2ndflood, it's good to have devs caring a lot.
    Last edited by memfel; 03/17/2010 at 04:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lodown3
    So i just did a reset of my phone (erase apps and data style), so it erased some things but not all?
    My patches still are in use as I noticed landscape mode in messaging and 4x4 view in the launcher, but the preware icon disappeared as did the Luna manager.
    I reinstalled via WebOS quickinstall but still nothing. Everything appears to look like its loaded back on fine. but I cant press any preware icon to launch it on my phone.

Whered it go? How do i get it back? (I tried searching but I'm not even sure how to search such an inquiry)
    What version of QI did you use to reinstall?

-- Rod

Sorry I been busy the past couple days...BUT i have QI version 3.0.1, also after doign that reset I have no music player or music player remix and I did feel like installing Remix, made my Pixi act slightly iffy, or even slower maybe?
    Then again webos1.4 made things seem worse than the previsou version. I think I'd like to downgrade back to 1.3.5

Anyway, any help? or anyone else experience this too?? I'd like my preware and music player icons back pleeeease! patches are still working, just dont see them listed on my pixi.
    Just curious, but is there any thought about making Preware an Official App? Now wtih AUPT for the patches, there's no need to remove patches, etc for updates. Would it be possible to submit it to the App catalog with a disclaimer? It sure would make getting preware on phones easier for the average consumer (webos quickinstall is great and simple, but the average consumer may not bother searching to look for it). I know many people who just aren't motivated enough to install preware on their phones, but once installed (by me for them), they use it extensively. I think palm would have a motivation to allow it too, because you can get better customization of the phone, etc (with a disclaimer that all things may not function properly on the phone). There may need to be a stricter testing policy for the patches to comply with palm though. Themes would have to be worked with so they can be updated while in use as well. I think with all the hard work you guys are putting into preware, it would be great to be recognized as an official app. I would venture to say it would easily make it as a top 10 downloaded app!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    Just curious, but is there any thought about making Preware an Official App? Now wtih AUPT for the patches, there's no need to remove patches, etc for updates. Would it be possible to submit it to the App catalog with a disclaimer? It sure would make getting preware on phones easier for the average consumer (webos quickinstall is great and simple, but the average consumer may not bother searching to look for it). I know many people who just aren't motivated enough to install preware on their phones, but once installed (by me for them), they use it extensively. I think palm would have a motivation to allow it too, because you can get better customization of the phone, etc (with a disclaimer that all things may not function properly on the phone). There may need to be a stricter testing policy for the patches to comply with palm though. Themes would have to be worked with so they can be updated while in use as well. I think with all the hard work you guys are putting into preware, it would be great to be recognized as an official app. I would venture to say it would easily make it as a top 10 downloaded app!
    Preware is not able to comply with the app catalogue content requirements because it is able to install something which is not in the app catalogue.

Preware's very functionality prohibits it from ever being in the app catalogue, unfortunately.

-- Rod
    is there a website that i can view online of all the available apps in PREWARE?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronig View Post
    is there a website that i can view online of all the available apps in PREWARE?
    This website...? go under app and u will see homebrew apps, as well as those of the other feeds.
    For the patches, there is another link in the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirberk View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post this as I find navigating these forums a tad confusing. I just wanted to take the time to publicly thank Jason and the gang at Canuk software for being so kind. You guys are the embodiment of what open source is all about. Not only did you take the time to share your skills by developing most excellent software, but you also took the time to help me when I had troubles not even related to your software. I just want you to know that it is not often we find truly nice people out there anymore and your kindness and efforts are much appreciated. HAZZAH and may I someday have the pleasure of hoisting a pint in your presence!
    This misunderstanding happens so often that I just have to say something. The official Preware thread is not the right place to post your kind message of thanks to Jason.

Whilst Jason is a great developer, and a great asset to the webOS community, he has absolutely nothing to do with Preware.

Preware is developed by WebOS Internals.

Jason is the author of WebOS Quick Install, developed by Canuck Software, which is a completely different organisation with different people and different goals (e.g. WebOS Quick Install is not open source software, although Jason does write many other open source tools and patches).

WebOS Internals and Canuck Software collaborate with each other to ensure compatibility across the webOS homebrew ecosystem, but that is the full extent of the relationship.

No developers from WebOS Internals are responsible for Canuck Software tools like WebOS Quick Install, and no developers from Canuck Software are responsible for WebOS Internals tools like Preware.

For your penance, you should write a similar post praising WebOS Internals (not Jason) in the Canuck Software forum ...

[Note that Jason is absolutely not to blame for this common misconception. He has told me before that he wishes things to be clear about who is who just as much as we do.]

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/18/2010 at 05:41 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    This misunderstanding happens so often that I just have to say something.

Whilst Jason is a great developer, he has absolutely nothing to do with Preware.

Jason is the author of WebOS Quick Install, developed by Canuck Software, which is a completely different organisation with different people and different goals (e.g. WebOS Quick Install is not open source software, although Jason does write many other open source tools and patches).

WebOS Internals and Canuck Software collaborate with each other to ensure compatibility across the webOS homebrew ecosystem, but that is the full extent of the relationship.

No developers from WebOS Internals are responsible for Canuck Software tools like WebOS Quick Install, and no developers from Canuck Software are responsible for WebOS Internals tools like Preware.

For your penance, you should write a similar post praising WebOS Internals (not Jason) in the Canuck Software forum ...

-- Rod
    Thanks, this is an important distinction.
    This misunderstanding happens so often that I just have to say something.

Whilst Jason is a great developer, he has absolutely nothing to do with Preware.

Another useful clarification would probably be what "developed by WebOS Internals" means. ie Who is/are WebOS Internals?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Another useful clarification would probably be what "developed by WebOS Internals" means. ie Who is/are WebOS Internals?
    From http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale8...ebos-internals:

"WebOS Internals is a group of developers dedicated to the pursuit of an open environment of sharing information, code, and documentation related to Palm's webOS operating system.

WebOS Internals is also the main coordination body for the open standard homebrew ecosystem of applications, patches, themes, plugins, services and Linux utilities for webOS devices. At the leading edge of application development, WebOS Internals has pioneered techniques such as NPAPI browser plugins, Java and C native services, and native binary applications (such as our latest SDL games).

Using open source development processes, and real-time internet communication, WebOS Internals has been able to develop a number of leading advanced homebrew applications for the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi, including Preware, Terminal, wIRC, Virtual Keyboard, DOOM!, Quake, TetriCrisis, SuperTux, and Classic Invaders.

In addition to these popular homebrew applications, WebOS Internals also manages the open standard homebrew ecosystem hosted at preware.org, and the Preware advanced homebrew installer application."

The currently active core members of WebOS Internals include (hoping I haven't missed anyone out, and in no particular order):

rwhitby - Founder and Project Lead, Homebrew Ecosystem architect, Packaging standards developer, preware.org Infrastructure Architect, Preware and Package Manager Service developer, AUPT developer, WIDK developer, packaging monkey.

destinal - Plugin architect, Terminal developer, Security consultant, WIDK developer.

rboatright - Chief Evangelist, Corporate laison, Preware UI designer.

oil - Preware, Luna Manager & wIRC developer

egaudet - Virtual Keyboard developer, AUPT architect and developer, wIRC developer.

dBsooner - Patch Meister, AUPT developer.

Templarian - Icons, Graphics and Preware.org website design

PuffTheMagic - Services architect, wIRC developer, packaging standards developer

greg_roll - Preware Installer developer, Messaging plugin architect

zsoc - Multimedia subsystem architect, Precorder developer

jacques - Conference speaker, WIDK developer

dtzWill - X11 architect, SDL games developer, WIDK developer

darronb - Qt architect

ka6sox - IT infrastructure architect, chief systems administrator

nebula - Security consultant

There are a number of other WebOS Internals affiliate developers who also make use of the WebOS Internals infrastructure and feeds to distribute their open source applications. Also see WebOS Internals & Canuck Software for the relationship between the two separate organisations of WebOS Internals and Canuck Software.

WebOS Internals is a meritocracy. Any developer who is dedicated to the pursuit of an open environment of sharing information, code, and documentation related to Palm's webOS operating system and wishes to be part of the WebOS Internals team should join the #webos-internals IRC channel and make your background and open source webOS-related or Linux-related contribution known to the team members there.

Our slogan is: WebOS Internals - Smart. Open. Phones.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/18/2010 at 04:01 PM.