Page 274 of 305 FirstFirst ... 174224264269270271272273274275276277278279284 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    My Pre had slowed down to a pretty much a halt last night i checked the lists folder and removed them. than removed preware and Package manager and rebooted... reinstalled preware and package manager , fired up preware and it hung on the feeds... here is a screenshot of what i saw.

for now i have removed preware and package manager from my phone and all seems to be well, i dont like that as a solution, are there any others?
    "wget: bad address" means that your phone did not have a valid network connection at the time (specifically, it was unable to resolve the DNS entry for ipkg.preware.org). Reinstalling Preware or the Package Manager Service will not affect that.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhead91 View Post
    On Sprint and had Preware working fine prior to 1.4 update. After update to 1.4 I had to Dr the Pre because the device kept crashing. After Dr'ing the data connection on the device was working. I uploaded several applications, including Preware, after a restart the data connection on the device stopped working. I did a full erase (actually have done about 5-6 full erases) and even tried a new profile to make sure that my original profile wasn't corrupt. Seems that each time I got Preware loaded, the data connection would stop working after the reboot.

I ran a quick test with Preware loaded and had a report of a hardware issue (code 20 - modem). After removing Preware ran another quick test and no reports of hardware issuesa and data works again.
    Since you're able to reproduce this reliably, please visit the IRC channel and we'll debug this:

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    First, I love what you guys are doing. The enhancements you bring to the Pre make this phone even greater. Thanks for that.
    Secondly, I have seen the problem I'm having in the general Pre threads, but only a few people and no answers. I did not see anything in the Preware threads. After I updated to 1.4, all of my email accounts were gone. After trying in vain to add the accounts back in, I finally ended up doctoring the phone. When I got it back up and running, I was able to restore everything from the Palm Profile and my email accounts were back and working. So I added Preware and the 7 or 8 patches I had been using back in. When I did that I lost my email again. So I doctored again last night and restored the email accounts. I was thinking the problem must be one of the patches, so I thought I would add everything back in one at a time tonight. I started with Preware, but didn't get any further. Now my emails are gone again before I even made it to the patches.
    Is anyone else having this problem with Preware? Am I missing something? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad to see that you searched on your problem -- I commend you on that. However, I wrote that perspective a while ago (certainly before Preware incorporated a new process to "UPDATE" patches and most certainly before-AUPT), so don't read into my statements too much.

EDIT: Wow, you really did some digging to find this post (It was post 1817 and we're now at 5465 -- you really get the 'search of the year' award!!!.

Personally, thanks to all the hard work from Rod and Eric at WebOS-Internals and Jason R of WOSQI fame, on Saturday afternoon I left all of my 1.3.5 patches on the Pre, I updated to 1.4, I ran Preware, I updated all patches, and all was just fine for me.

If you are installing the browser multi-mod from Preware, I think it might not yet be correctly updated (at least it wasn't 2 or 3 days ago) --- thus not allowing you to actually use the browser. This happened to me too, but I was able to uninstall it to get my browser back.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the "award." Yes, I've done a lot of research on this problem, and found that a lot of people are having it. What I haven't been able to find so far is a way of uninstalling it when the script fails. Actually, the problem is even more complex than I indicated, because all of the scripts associated with this patch have failed for me, including the "dummy" package intended to be a placeholder for the eventual 1.4 version, which was released yesterday or the day before, and which works no better in my updated Pre Plus on Verizon. I'm quite willing to accept the blame for this situation (even though I can't imagine what I did wrong). I just need to solve it somehow, and I'm hoping that at least one of the kind people in this forum will have met my particular variant of the problem, solved it, and is willing to tell me how to do it as well. Until then, i can only get to this forum on my desktop!

My basic request, again, is: how to nuke the patch code that is stuck there there--either under script control or manually; or how to wipe out my browser and reinstall it; or any other reasonable answer.
    Earlier today I installed patches that I had lost in the update, I installed a launcher patch to open to the third page when launching. I had removed a patch as well the 500 mhz reflex . I added more patches as well, I added the Date patch to cover up the Sprint logo, but I did not remove the other date patch that I had in the middle of the top bar. Bottom line after the Luna restart when I hit the launcher key the launch pages come up with title but absolutely no icons. I did a hard reset and still nothing. I am at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do. I know all the applications are in the phone since i can launch the menu on the launcher and get to my device key. Help, help, help, please..........
    Request and or Suggestion for Preware in a future update:

It seems that for some of us, the new AUPT thing did not work as intended.

For me personally, it was the Messaging Plugins, which neither Preware or WebOS QI could not take care of.

So I had to do a 'Doctor' to my phone.

Partly because I made a big mistake (my fault) and partly because I was going to do it anyway because I like having a cleaned up phone with each update.

Just a personal preference.

So what I am requesting:

Is it possible for either or both Preware or WebOS QI, to add a feature that would write to an external file (via either email or to the usb partition) the patches and homebrew applications we have installed.

The reason for wanting this, is that I have more than just a couple of patches and more than just a couple of homebrew apps and it's hard to remember everything that I have to re-install after a full erase and doctoring the phone.

The contents of this file might be used by either or both Preware or WebOS QI, to automate the re-installation of all these patches and homebrew apps.

I hope I've explained my wishes and if not, please let me know and I will try to explain it a different way.

So what do you think, is it an idea that would be good for all of us?

Thanks!

Rob

PS Hopefully, Jason will read this too, I don't want to do a double post.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    My basic request, again, is: how to nuke the patch code that is stuck there there--either under script control or manually; or how to wipe out my browser and reinstall it; or any other reasonable answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by katzme View Post
    Earlier today I installed patches that I had lost in the update, I installed a launcher patch to open to the third page when launching. I had removed a patch as well the 500 mhz reflex . I added more patches as well, I added the Date patch to cover up the Sprint logo, but I did not remove the other date patch that I had in the middle of the top bar. Bottom line after the Luna restart when I hit the launcher key the launch pages come up with title but absolutely no icons. I did a hard reset and still nothing. I am at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do. I know all the applications are in the phone since i can launch the menu on the launcher and get to my device key. Help, help, help, please..........
    Please keep patch questions in the webos-patches subforum, specific patching issues have nothing to do with Preware.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/

heavenly, there is no one universal solution to repair whatever symptoms you are seeing regarding a specific patch. The only universal solution is EPR to remove all patches and/or Doctor+partial erase (apps). For a specific solution to a specific problem either post in the patches subforum or come to irc channel.

katzme, known issue with one of the no-arrow patches commenting out code that named pages patch relies upon. Please visit the webos-patches subforum. Either the AUPT thread for systematic patch questions/problems or the respective patch thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    So what I am requesting:

Is it possible for either or both Preware or WebOS QI, to add a feature that would write to an external file (via either email or to the usb partition) the patches and homebrew applications we have installed.
    Multi-package installs is something that is in the pipeline. Something like saving a configuration file to restore all packages is something we could explore as well and I believe has been briefly mentioned in the past. I have also been pondering the idea of user created Bundles for common multi-packages (mainly for patches but it would probably expand to all packages)

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    First, I love what you guys are doing. The enhancements you bring to the Pre make this phone even greater. Thanks for that.
    Secondly, I have seen the problem I'm having in the general Pre threads, but only a few people and no answers. I did not see anything in the Preware threads. After I updated to 1.4, all of my email accounts were gone. After trying in vain to add the accounts back in, I finally ended up doctoring the phone. When I got it back up and running, I was able to restore everything from the Palm Profile and my email accounts were back and working. So I added Preware and the 7 or 8 patches I had been using back in. When I did that I lost my email again. So I doctored again last night and restored the email accounts. I was thinking the problem must be one of the patches, so I thought I would add everything back in one at a time tonight. I started with Preware, but didn't get any further. Now my emails are gone again before I even made it to the patches.
    Is anyone else having this problem with Preware? Am I missing something? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    I cannot start to theorise what could be the connection.

And of course I cannot reproduce it.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I updated to 0.9.29 , but it seems to have broken the 'Show only Free apps' option.

Here's the screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I updated to 0.9.29 , but it seems to have broken the 'Show only Free apps' option.

Here's the screen shot.
    Did you Update Feeds after changing the option?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did you Update Feeds after changing the option?

-- Rod
    Yes, I did.
    I have it set to update feed at 'Every Launch'. I even restarted my phone just for the sake of it.
    It still shows the paid apps in the list.
    Yes, I did.
    I have it set to update feed at 'Every Launch'. I even restarted my phone just for the sake of it.
    It still shows the paid apps in the list.
    Did you see it actually downloading new feeds, and the loading those newly downloaded feeds into Preware, as two separate actions?

I cannot reproduce it here - that's why I'm double checking.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did you see it actually downloading new feeds, and the loading those newly downloaded feeds into Preware, as two separate actions?

I cannot reproduce it here - that's why I'm double checking.

-- Rod
    Yes, Rod. I have updated the feeds multiple times since the update.
    The feeds were downloaded, and loaded into Preware.
    I just updated one of the 'Notification Repeat' patch.

The time of last update shows: 3/4/10 2:06 AM. (EST)
    I second RMB, Rod..."Show free apps only" is broken, i see all the paid apps in the feed, which was different with the previous version. I reload my feeds on every start, too, and also tried reloading the feed manually. It gets loaded OK as always. If I can help with pinning down the bug, let me know...

Greetings,
    Stefan
    Not here for that, but now that you mention it, same here.

What I wanted to mention is that certain apps from the app catalog won't install for me until I uninstall Preware/PMS. I've mainly found posts about ppl not being able to install anything that's why I thought I'd mention it... I already mentioned in a webOS Apps and Software thread but seeing how removing Preware fixed it and reinstalling recreated it I thought it might be worth explicitly mentioning it here as well.
    Is there any way to fix this? Other then always removing/reinstalling?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    I second RMB, Rod..."Show free apps only" is broken, i see all the paid apps in the feed, which was different with the previous version. I reload my feeds on every start, too, and also tried reloading the feed manually. It gets loaded OK as always. If I can help with pinning down the bug, let me know...

Greetings,
    Stefan
    Confirm this, Free only broken after update of 2010-03-04
    What I do is make a Word document (it gives me an excuse to use Google Docs) and list all my patches/apps there. I keep it updated any time I change anything so that whenever there is a WebOS update, I know what I have installed.

It's a good workaround for now.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    Yes, I may have the same problem. At least my mail accounts is gone and I can not set up any new ones

I have not yet determined if it is connected to Preware. I will do an "Erase Apps & Data" reset but first I have to figure out if this will run and require me to log in to my Palm Profile as the first use app?

I will have a problem with this because I am on a GSM network where I have to modify the carriernetworksettings.db3 file before being able to connect to the Internet.

Can any one confirm if this is the case when doing a partial erase?

What are my options? MetaDoctor?

I have also read about an app called "First Use" or something, or maybee this was an option in an app - I can not find it again - will this bypass the Palm Profile Login requirement in any way?

Thanks
    Last edited by hakost; 03/04/2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: a second thought...

The reason for wanting this, is that I have more than just a couple of patches and more than just a couple of homebrew apps and it's hard to remember everything that I have to re-install after a full erase and doctoring the phone.
    Although it doesn't cover your homebrew apps, Preware does write out a file that lists all your patches. Mount your Pre as a USB drive and look for a file named

.webosinternals.patches.packages

(note the leading period)

You can open this file with any text editor, and it has a list of all your installed patches.
    After the 1.4 WebOS update, a lot of folks seem confused about the non-functioning placeholders for patches that haven't yet been updated.

While the description page for each such patch has text explaining that it's a placeholder, it might eliminate some confusion if Preware was a little more proactive/in-your-face about communicating which installed patches are just placeholders.

Would it be possible to have an icon or something in the installed patches list to indicate that a patch is really a placeholder? Maybe grey out the text?