Page 27 of 305 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777127 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    If you get that message, it means java has already responded saying the package manager isn't running, its not a timeout issue. The package manager should always be asleep in the background, it's not being started when you start preware, it's started with the phone.

Personally I've never ran across this message (even when loading it with a lot of apps open.) Are you at 0.8.5 of both preware and the package manager?
    v0.8.5 Preware, v0.8.6 Package Manager.

I realize that the service starts up at boot, which is why it was so weird that when it gave me the message that Package Manager wasn't running, I closed Preware, opened it again, that everything was then working fine - I haven't rebooted in days. I just opened Preware again to check those version numbers, again worked perfectly.

If it's not a timeout thing then yeah I have no idea why that behavior.

I am on the leaked 1.2 still though, so it might just be weird behavior or something stemming from that? I don't know, I'm not too concerned about it right now, just thought I'd point it out.
    2 seconds for the precentral feed to load is "a really long time"?

Wow.

I would hate to see you wait for the pre to boot up, that must seem like an eternity of agony to you.

It takes "a really long time" for the precentral feed to load because of how many apps it has.

It has happened to me a couple times where it gets stuck. But just hit the appmenu and select update feeds and it will try again.

Really though, the new version takes all of like 10 to 15 seconds to update the feeds and load them, your screen shouldn't go to turn off in that time. You shouldn't have to tap the screen to keep it awake.

If you get that message, it means java has already responded saying the package manager isn't running, its not a timeout issue. The package manager should always be asleep in the background, it's not being started when you start preware, it's started with the phone.

Personally I've never ran across this message (even when loading it with a lot of apps open.) Are you at 0.8.5 of both preware and the package manager?
    Heh, not taking 2 seconds. Its taking about 15/20 seconds to load the precentral feed by itself, which I though was maybe a little long. If its not, let me know. Also, I've been getting the same message every once in a while about the service not starting and I'm not on 1.2. At some points, when I open the app, while loading it decides to kill the java service thingie (that kills the cell connection and slows down the phone while it eventually reloads). Let me know if there is anything you can think of that might be doing it or anything you want me to check.
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Heh, not taking 2 seconds. Its taking about 15/20 seconds to load the precentral feed by itself, which I though was maybe a little long. If its not, let me know. Also, I've been getting the same message every once in a while about the service not starting and I'm not on 1.2. At some points, when I open the app, while loading it decides to kill the java service thingie (that kills the cell connection and slows down the phone while it eventually reloads). Let me know if there is anything you can think of that might be doing it or anything you want me to check.
    That's very strange behaviour - it almost seems like you've got remnants of old Package Manager stuff in there.

Have you updated Package Manager Service fastidiously using WebOS Quick Install 2.03 or later?

I would suggest removing both the service and the app using WOSQI, rebooting, then using WOSQI to reinstall both.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    v0.8.5 Preware, v0.8.6 Package Manager.

I realize that the service starts up at boot, which is why it was so weird that when it gave me the message that Package Manager wasn't running, I closed Preware, opened it again, that everything was then working fine - I haven't rebooted in days. I just opened Preware again to check those version numbers, again worked perfectly.

If it's not a timeout thing then yeah I have no idea why that behavior.

I am on the leaked 1.2 still though, so it might just be weird behavior or something stemming from that? I don't know, I'm not too concerned about it right now, just thought I'd point it out.
    I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, and I'm still on 1.1. It's as if the Package Manager is asleep and takes a nudge to wake up.
    Yes, this is what I meant. If there was only way to figure out what it was?
    This isn't a problem with preware.

It sounds like a problem with what you installed with it or other patches or tweaks you did.

And if you use webos doctor, you don't have to go back to 1.0.3, it would go back to 1.1 if you have the 1.1 doctor.
  6.    #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepybubba View Post
    Yes, this is what I meant. If there was only way to figure out what it was?
    Remove them one at a time until it starts working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, and I'm still on 1.1. It's as if the Package Manager is asleep and takes a nudge to wake up.
    Note that Package Manager does take a little while to start after boot - if you wait until your phone has service it should definitely be up and running.

If you run Preware too early, just close it and start Preware again.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Not sure what could be happening - I would try to contact the developers directly and ask them.
  9.    #529  
    I highly doubt preware is the cause of your troubles.

What is the "white screen of horror"? I've never heard of such a thing before.

And, preware never goes anywhere near anything that has to do with sms or the messaging app.
    I have seen the Package service not running message. And in my unscientific observation, it seems to be when my phone is in an area of spotty service and using EVDO.

Restarting Preware usually works. No need to reboot the phone.
    I'll try dumping everything, getting the newest quick install, and reinstalling it. BTW, just for reference, this just happened to me, and has been happening for the past couple days every once in a while.

Phone has been on for a while. I open Preware. Something pops up (outside notification, not a preware warning) causing it to hang on Update, so I close the card and open Preware again. It gets through Update and Loading, and then as soon as all the options come up, my java services are restarted (I get the 'package manager not running warning', the cell signal bars and evdo connection disappear, and my phone runs slow for a few minutes while they restart).

I'll let you know if I'm still getting this after I uninstall and re-install.
    Found it. The tweak "Download in Browser" broke it. Once I undid it - everything else started working.
    Hi all,

I'm new here, I bought a Pre yesturday.

I already installed fileCoaster... no problem.

Now I want to install Preware... but the second step is:

Press the third button on the right

I don't have 3 buttons on the right side... only 2.

How I can install Preware?

P.S.: I use WebOS Quick Install 1.4

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    maybe i'm missing something, but my Package Updates button is grayed out although there are updates for apps i've installed available, and i have no Available Patches button...i'm running 0.8.5 and the newest Package Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    maybe i'm missing something, but my Package Updates button is grayed out although there are updates for apps i've installed available, and i have no Available Patches button...i'm running 0.8.5 and the newest Package Manager
    Have you checked the Installed Packages area?

Which specific package has had it's version updated (note that date updates don't matter - the author has to change the version number) ?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    bWeather specifically
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    bWeather specifically
    The latest version I see is 0.2.1 - which version is listed in your Installed Packages area?

-- Rod
  18.    #538  
    Here is your problem:

Quote Originally Posted by MBonevil View Post
    I use WebOS Quick Install 1.4
    Update to 2.03 of http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...k-install.html.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i installed the new version through WOSQI because it wouldn't come up in Preware, but before that I had the version previous to today's update
    Unless I know the previous version number, and can confirm that it was different in version number (not just in date) from the current version, I cannot verify if there is a problem or not.