Page 211 of 305 FirstFirst ... 111161201206207208209210211212213214215216221261 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 6094
  1. #4201  
    nope. im doing that now. should that work?
  2. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #4202  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    So Preware is not able to search for a word that matches what I type when I am in the List of Everything.

    OK.

    If I google "Palm Pre", won't google filter out anything that is not related to "Palm Pre"?

    So the Preware Search is really filtering just as Google is a filter on internet content?

    So maybe I am asking the question wrong. Let me try it again.

    Is there a benefit to the user that Preware is not able to filter in the main menu and these other menus like it can in the List of Everything Menu?
    ■ Preware Main Menu
    ■ Available Patches
    ■ Available Applications
    ■ Available Themes
    ■ Available Other
    ■ Installed Packages

    If Preware can already "filter" when you are in the List of Everything, why can't it use that same filter capability when you type from the main menu?

    Can I ask how searching for titles containing the word "emergency" is different than filtering out the titles that do not contain the word "emergency"?

    - Craig
    Craig,

    You're using the words to mean what you want them to mean... I wasn't saying your idea was bad, just explaining why it probably didn't already do what you wanted. I felt like I expressed that ("right now", "not... impossible", etc).

    Searching goes somewhere other than where you are (or at least has the ability to) to try and find results (which is what you're wanting). Filtering just shows you results out of where you already are (a list or set of information you're already seeing). Your Google analogy makes no sense, but I do get what you're saying.

    I'd think of it more like needing some quarters. You can filter through the results of your own pocket of the pants you're wearing, but you might need to search other pockets, lol. That is also a pretty dumb analogy, but I am still kinda tired. :-P

    Warning: If you search other pockets, and those pockets are part of pants that someone else is wearing... ask first.
  3. #4203  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It would be helpful if it was mentioned specifically.
    It *is* mentioned specifically in the initial splash-screen that *every* user of Preware is forced to read before they start using the program.

    If it's not read by people there, why would one think that it will be read by people somewhere else?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #4204  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It *is* mentioned specifically in the initial splash-screen that *every* user of Preware is forced to read before they start using the program.

    If it's not read by people there, why would one think that it will be read by people somewhere else?

    -- Rod
    Facepalm! (Note, I did read that screen the first time, but quickly forgot what it said )

    It would have been read by me when I was searching the wiki for how to search PreWare.
  5. JerryG's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #4205  
    Don't know if this is possible/reasonable to implement, but it would be a cool feature _if_ -

    Preware could save a list of your installed patches (menu option?), and after you do an EPR/removal for WebOS updates, it could show you when your "old" patches have been updated for the new version of WebOS. It would also need to delete list items, if the feature has been incorporated into the newer version of WebOS.

    Just my $00.03...

    Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  6. #4206  
    I completely understand how to use the Preware filtering, and it doesn't bother me or frustrate me. It only works for lists of packages. When I want to "search" for something in particular, I either hit the List of Everything or the All category, depending on where I am in the hierarchy.

    With a modification, perhaps Preware could instantly select either the List of Everything or the All category when a user hits the first key, at least when those are available. It's not a huge improvement, but it might help some users access search more easily.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #4207  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Searching goes somewhere other than where you are (or at least has the ability to) to try and find results (which is what you're wanting). Filtering just shows you results out of where you already are (a list or set of information you're already seeing). Your Google analogy makes no sense, but I do get what you're saying.
    I think that we are on the same page. A search is the inverse of a filter. You search for something by filtering out everything else.

    I guess what I am asking is this.

    Preware can already:
    1. Trap/register/respond to a keystroke entry.
    2. Move to another scene on user input.
    3. Filter to find entries with characters matching input if you are in the List of Everything.

    Could Preware be enabled so that:

    From the Preware Main menu (scene?) if the user begins typing, Preware just goes to the List of Everything scene for you and let's you filter as if you started typing from the List of Everything scene?

    The user would not even know that they went from the main menu to the List of Everything. At their search/filter/seek/find the same options are available as when they search in the List of Everything:
    1. Select an entry
    2. Modify the search
    3. Swipe back to go to the previous menu/list/screen

    Are all of the pieces you need already there (trap, move,filter)?

    Would this be hard?

    It would make a world of difference for a typical new user. They may try to search like webOS features on the main screen and fail. They may even try "type to search" on the Available Applications or Available patches. Once they keep failing, I bet they don't try again unless they can find documentation on how the trick works.

    Also, could everyone review the Preware search documentation and make sure I am saying everything correctly?

    It is in the Getting Started: Preware article under Searching for Preware Search.

    I have never worked on one article for 40 days before but this has to be spot on.

    Thanks,

    Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/09/2009 at 02:02 PM.
  8. #4208  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Also, could everyone review the Preware search documentation and make sure I am saying everything correctly?
    You might just add that the search feature is available any time a list of actual packages is displayed, but not when a list of categories or feeds is displayed.
  9. #4209  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Don't know if this is possible/reasonable to implement, but it would be a cool feature _if_ -

    Preware could save a list of your installed patches (menu option?), and after you do an EPR/removal for WebOS updates, it could show you when your "old" patches have been updated for the new version of WebOS. It would also need to delete list items, if the feature has been incorporated into the newer version of WebOS.

    Just my $00.03...

    Cheers,
    -JerryG
    You might want to take a look at the Preware Feature Roadmap:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-roadmap.html

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #4210  
    I recently just ran WebOS Doctor on my pre and since then, when I install preware and the package manager service, I receive a error message that package manager hasn't been updated. How do I download the updated version package manager service?
  11. #4211  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon4us2002 View Post
    I recently just ran WebOS Doctor on my pre and since then, when I install preware and the package manager service, I receive a error message that package manager hasn't been updated. How do I download the updated version package manager service?
    Please outline the exact steps you took to install Preware.

    http://install.preware.org is what you should have done.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #4212  
    I connected my pre to the computer and downloaded the preware and package manager service .idks, then, installed them. They both showed up on my pre; however, when I run the preware, I receive the error message: package manager hasn't been updated.
  13. #4213  
    I recently just ran WebOS Doctor on my pre and since then, when I install preware and the package manager service, I receive a error message that package manager hasn't been updated. How do I download the updated version package manager service?
  14. #4214  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon4us2002 View Post
    I connected my pre to the computer and downloaded the preware and package manager service .idks, then, installed them. They both showed up on my pre; however, when I run the preware, I receive the error message: package manager hasn't been updated.
    *WHERE* did you download them from?

    *WHICH* versions did you download?

    *HOW* did you install them?

    Why do people try so little to help those who might be able to help them?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #4215  
    Anyone know how to add the Donation button from Paypal onto preware themes? I can get it to link to the main page, but i think ive seen some folks have the preware donation button go directly to their paypal account. I have already called paypal, but that guy had NO idea what i was talkin about...thanks and please PM me as to not mutter the thread. thanks
  16. #4216  
    subscribe
  17. #4217  
    I have been trying to download themes, and every time I click on install, and then press okay to execute the script, it will say downloading, and then stop downloading and say "error installing: see IPKG log"
    i click the log
    then it says there is a failure in the postinst step

    under that heading i says alot of stuff , like cannot create directory, no such file in directory, and unknown perand

    how cani fix this?! i really like the themes!
  18. #4218  
    also, another thing, where can i find the on screen keyboard? i thought i found it but it says obselete and gives a discription of it?
  19. #4219  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan2323 View Post
    also, another thing, where can i find the on screen keyboard? i thought i found it but it says obselete and gives a discription of it?
    As of today, Preware is does not allow you to simply "Type To Search" from the main menu.

    You have to know the search trick.

    Tap List of Everything and then type "Virtual Keyboard". By the time you type "Vir" you will see these:
    * OBSOLETE Virtual Keyboard
    * Virtual Keyboard

    Click the one that is not obsolete.

    -Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/10/2009 at 08:46 AM.
  20. JerryG's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #4220  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You might want to take a look at the Preware Feature Roadmap:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-roadmap.html

    -- Rod
    Rod,

    Thanks. Guess I'll have to subscribe to yet another thread...

    Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions