Page 2 of 305 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I fixed it, All i had to was restart my pre. The icon showed up and im running my tether, but now I dont know how to use it....

I am Able to connect to the AoNet network, but I cant go to webpages.........Anyone know whats wrong?
    Last edited by pakiplayer421; 08/29/2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I downloaded preware last night and love it. I see other patches in preware but I cannot find any information on them. Example, terminal service plugin, GNU binary, optware loopback, accelerometer service, and simple timer app. Where can I find out what these patches do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
    I downloaded preware last night and love it. I see other patches in preware but I cannot find any information on them. Example, terminal service plugin, GNU binary, optware loopback, accelerometer service, and simple timer app. Where can I find out what these patches do?

Thanks
    Those are not patches. They are helper services and plugins.

See the WebOS Internals wiki pages for details.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    fileCoaster holds a very special place in the history of homebrew application installers. Unfortunately, it cannot currently install Advanced Homebrew packages like the Virtual Keyboard Patch, Terminal, MyTether, etc (only WebOS Quick Install and Preware can do this at the moment).

fileCoaster is still very useful for the purpose that it's name describes - downloading files onto the Pre.

Preware uses the Package Manager Service developed by the WebOS Internals team to be able to securely install Advanced Homebrew. Any other open source installer application is welcome to use the same service to add this capability. We do not allow closed source installers to use the service, since we need to be able to do a security review of the installer source code to make sure it is doing things properly and not compromising the security of the Pre (we had a problem previously where the closed source MyTether application was using a proof-of-concept command line service incorrectly and introduced a huge security vulnerability as a result).

I believe that PreLoad currently uses the same installation technology as fileCoaster (and therefore cannot currently install Advanced Homebrew). However, since PreLoad is open source, it could easily be updated to use the new Package Manager Service. PreLoad already uses the standard package feeds from preware.org, so it already has access to all the homebrew applications that are available from all 4 originating sites (PreCentral, WebOS Internals, Canuck Software, PimpMyPre).

See Towards an open, interoperable homebrew ecosystem for the reason why we created Preware and the Package Manager Service.

-- Rod
    thanks for taking the time to explain it, thanks to you guys having a Pre gets better and better each day
    im getting an error that says org.webosinternals.ipkgservice is not running..can anyone help me?
    What is "terminal"?
    Laissez Faire
    Is there an alternative way to install PreWare other than through WebOS Quick Install?
    Thing is, that won't install on my Mac and apparently nobody can help me.

I have a rooted Pre so... is there something I can run from the commandline to get it going?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silentcobra85 View Post
    im getting an error that says org.webosinternals.ipkgservice is not running..can anyone help me?
    I've had this same dam problem IT IS NOT CLEARLY STATED IN PREWARE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS you need to install preware via osquickinstall and also install package manager service i belive its in the same directory so install preware + package manager service
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    What is "terminal"?
    This is terminal: Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Is there an alternative way to install PreWare other than through WebOS Quick Install?
    Thing is, that won't install on my Mac and apparently nobody can help me.

I have a rooted Pre so... is there something I can run from the commandline to get it going?
    There is directions for installing preware via CLI at the bottom of the wiki page: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Thanks Oil! Working fine now Absolutely awesome work guys!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Those are not patches. They are helper services and plugins.

See the WebOS Internals wiki pages for details.

-- Rod
    Hi i am also wondering what these do. I tried to seach the wiki but no luck. Can u provide a link to where they are discused?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Hi i am also wondering what these do. I tried to seach the wiki but no luck. Can u provide a link to where they are discused?

Thanks!
    Any that don't have a page on the wiki are not ready for general use.

The source code to all of them is available for developers to use.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Can someone tell me exactly what the optware loopback mount/unmount app is for.
    Thank you.
    Nice work as always fellas! Keep up the good work!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by eztech View Post
    I've had this same dam problem IT IS NOT CLEARLY STATED IN PREWARE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS you need to install preware via osquickinstall and also install package manager service i belive its in the same directory so install preware + package manager service
    Pardon? Which part of the following is not clear?

The official installation instructions for Preware at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals say the following:

Installation Steps
    ===========
    * Run WebOS Quick Install
    * Press the third button on the right
    * Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.
    * Select Package Manager Service and Preware from the list.
    * Press DOWNLOAD.
    * Press INSTALL.
    If that is too hard, perhaps the instructions written by Dieter at http://www.precentral.net/screen-vir...o-mere-mortals might be of assistance? That one includes pictures with big red circles on them to show you which buttons to push, and separates it into even simpler steps:

Now you want to download one file, install it, then download a second file, and install that. It's important do you do it in that order, so:

1. Select "Package Manager Service"
    2. Click download, then close
    3. Click "Install" on the Main WebOS Quick Install Page
    4. Click the feeds button again
    5. Go back to the WebOS Internals (all) feed
    6. Select "Preware"
    7. Click download, then close
    8. Click "Install" on the Main WebOS Quick Install Page
    Please, tell us which parts of that are not clear ...

We expect you to use a civil tone when posting in this thread.

We do not appreciate being shouted at. We are volunteers who provide this software for your usage at no cost, and at great expense of time.

Perhaps you might like to reassess your approach to requesting help in the future ... and apologise to the many developers who contributed to Preware before showing your face in here again.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronB1979 View Post
    Can someone tell me exactly what the optware loopback mount/unmount app is for.
    Thank you.
    It's not an app (it's a service), it's not ready for use, and it has been removed from the feeds to avoid confusion.

The source code is at http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=se...opService.java - lines 92 and 104 are the interesting ones.

-- Rod
    I did the same thing and after I restart it shows the icon, but kind of weird that the first time I tried it showed AoNet, but now when I scan for network connections it doesn't show it anymore. Any ideas?
    I guess the problem was that I had WiFi turned on and it was already connected to my wireless.
    How long does it take to load the first time --- it's been loading for what seems like hours.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    How long does it take to load the first time --- it's been loading for what seems like hours.
    It shouldn't take hours, thats for sure.