Page 181 of 305 FirstFirst ... 81131171176177178179180181182183184185186191231281 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 6094
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    So last week while i was sleeping my phone installed webOS 1.2.1 for the 3rd time but this time i had a bunch of patches installed and a theme from preware. The patches are now gone but they still show up as installed in preware. When i try to remove them i get an error How can I remove them so i can reinstall them? also its asking me to install 1.2.1 again!! ***

anyway thanks in advance!
    go into list of everything and start typing emergency and it should pop up
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnderson127 View Post
    It says "Failed ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' operation
    That's all? Can you take a screen shot of the log?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    ^ went through the same exact issue and resolution a while ago. Yes, the clean version is the only one that works for me also.
    Same here.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I would suggest http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html with Options > Compatibility override enabled. EPR doesn't remove themes, and after an update, it will not remove patches unless they were installed using Preware.
    Thanks everyone ill try it out.
    Preware 0.9.8 is released (on my birthday).

It contains a fix for the hanging that was caused by packages that had syntax errors in their appinfo.json files.

It also defaults the "Fix Unknown Types" preference to "Yes".

Just use Preware to update Preware. It will close immediately after updating, and you will be running the new version when you re-launch it.

If you installed one of the 0.9.8 alpha versions, you should use WebOS Quick Install to install the final release version - the Date Updated should be 14 Nov 2009.

Thanks again to everyone who helped to narrow down the cause of the hangs to errors in the actual packages being loaded.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ^no different than what the previous person provided... it's easy for me to follow those instructions.... but it'll take a "N00b" as I said... especially most clueless chicks an hour and they'll prolly fail, they're head explodes as soon as they read java and developer mode... money on it.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morelloX View Post
    ^no different than what the previous person provided... it's easy for me to follow those instructions.... but it'll take a "N00b" as I said... especially most clueless chicks an hour and they'll prolly fail, they're head explodes as soon as they read java and developer mode... money on it.
    Be on the lookout for the new, highly visual "quick start" guide that Milominderbinder is producing for just the audience you describe (although I, being a woman, would include clueless guys in the target audience).
    ^there are plenty of clueless guys yeah, but the ratio is def in favor of the women, and I actually know way more women with this phone

theres a self installer that seems like it would do preware if I could easily direect them to getting the novacom drivers, seems like the option with the least steps.....
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    ^there are plenty of clueless guys yeah, but the ratio is def in favor of the women, and I actually know way more women with this phone

theres a self installer that seems like it would do preware if I could easily direect them to getting the novacom drivers, seems like the option with the least steps.....
    That's the problem with Preware's installer; it's not meant for the new and clueless. WebOS QI is still the simplest installation for those with less experience.

Anyway, all the women must be coming to you for help because 95% of the people I help here are clearly men -- not all clueless, but some who seem to have an allergy to instructions. But that's just anecdotal.
    I'm a software developer by day, I'm really used to a few unfamiliar words completely losing someone and they just revert to... "umm ok that's japanese, can you just do it?"

guys and girls, but ya mostly girls that i know with the phone. i like preware because once you have it you can do just about everything, and the two people I've set up with it are a million times happier with the phone now, they talk it up, rave about it and I think I'm doing my part to promote the phone the more people that have it, the more support, funding all that good stuff...so I'll get it done one way or another... looks like one of these tutorials will have to do but i'm sure i'll have to walk them through the instructions
    I'm a software developer by day, I'm really used to a few unfamiliar words completely losing someone and they just revert to... "umm ok that's japanese, can you just do it?"

guys and girls, but ya mostly girls that i know with the phone. i like preware because once you have it you can do just about everything, and the two people I've set up with it are a million times happier with the phone now, they talk it up, rave about it and I think I'm doing my part to promote the phone the more people that have it, the more support, funding all that good stuff...so I'll get it done one way or another... looks like one of these tutorials will have to do but i'm sure i'll have to walk them through the instructions
    Please find the dumbest person possible and tell me which part of my guide they can't follow. Feedback is most definitely encouraged. I'm not sure it's possible to break the steps down much further. There's direct links to all the big things needed to get homebrew working on any Pre. And step 7 can be ignored altogether, which is really the only intimidating part about it.
    preaching to the choir! haha i've looked over the multiple tutorials, they are very simple and detailed, I am just used to dealing with idiots that tend to toss their hands up and ask for help the first sign of difficulty, I got a couple people to try it on, maybe they'll figure it out, one of them is fairly computer literate but on a MAC so I couldn't help troubleshoot if there were snags... the other 2 I have in mind are both NOT GOOD with computers in the least... I literally said "novacom drivers" and tried to give them a link and they respond "Japanese!! I'm not good with computers"
    Well, try those "dummies" out and we'll see. I'm confident that they're not as dumb as me when it comes to instructions.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    i like preware because once you have it you can do just about everything, and the two people I've set up with it are a million times happier with the phone now
    I agree. Preware's OTA delivery is a nice calling card for the phone, particularly for casual users. (For more advanced users, WebOS QI still meets a very important need.) But for the first installation of Preware, you can't get more simple that WebOS QI. Hopefully, all the pictures will help you in your walk-throughs.
    OK, this may not be the right place to post this, but it was my best guess, so here goes...

I just finished my update to 1.3.1, and have noticed a problem with Preware- doing anything with the Themes feed is non-functioning. Lemme give you all the info I have on what I've done so far since I found out the update was available earlier this evening. (Please note that I am NOT all uber-knowledgeable about the back-end of what is going on with the OS. However, I've worked in PC troubleshooting, so I can and will be of any help that I am able to provide, and I can follow directions well if you need me to test things out for you to reproduce and/or correct the issue. I'm great with Windows, ****-poor on Macs, and know next to nothing about Linux/Unix systems. I'm your general power user, with slightly more knowledge in other areas. You know, the type that knows when to come here and go, "Hey, People-More-Knowledgeable-Than-Me, help please!" rather than being an **** and shafting my OS trying to "fix" it. )

1. Removed my theme. Rebooted Pre.
    2. Ran Emergency Patch Repair. Rebooted Pre. Checked to ensure patches were removed, all clear.
    3. Updates to 1.3.1
    4. Ran the update to Preware, installed all my patches. Rebooted Pre. All patches were running smoothly and perfectly after reboot.
    5. Reloaded Preware, accessed Themes feed from bottom of list. NOTABLY slower load. First time, over 7 min to load. Second, over 10 min.
    6. Tapped "All" on screen that gives the option betwixt "All" and "Themes".
    7. Preware hangs.
    8. Closed Preware, and opted for the most logical thing I can think of to do when I have computer problems. You got it. Rebooted my Pre again.
    9. Reloaded Preware. Repeat Steps 5-7. It's currently STILL sitting on the screen to chose betwixt "All" and "Themes".

Now, I can minimise Preware to the card view, and my Pre runs fine, no lag anywhere else. All of my other apps are running fine. I am currently at home, running on my WiFi here, which is (just in case this is relevant) a 10meg cable connection. Go back to Preware, and open it to full screen view, and nothing responds. Cannot get the Preware menu from the top left to load, cannot go back a screen, cannot tap anything that is in the Preware app. I can open my Shortcut Menu (from the top right) and anything in my Notification ribbon, and the Wave Bar will pull up just fine. All of my other feeds in Preware loaded up just fine, with no notable lag or response issues.

OK. I hope this is the info you all need. I am running on the Sprint network (also in case that is pertinent). Help please?

Thanks much!

~Kelly
    same here, I can get precentral themes to load.. but not prethemer
    Last edited by hmagoo; 11/14/2009 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do the experienced users here think that the "Fix Unknown Types" preference should default to "Yes" or "No" for new users?

-- Rod
    I had written my thoughts from my Pre, but I guess I lost connection before they posted...

If you default to yes, you may experience more unnecessary support issues from newbies who somehow hit an issue with random apps.

On the other hand, newbies are less likely to have installed apps from some source other than PreWare...such as the old e-mail installation.

Preware 0.9.8 is released (on my birthday).
    Happy Birthday!!

It contains a fix for the hanging that was caused by packages that had syntax errors in their appinfo.json files.

It also defaults the "Fix Unknown Types" preference to "Yes".

Just use Preware to update Preware. It will close immediately after updating, and you will be running the new version when you re-launch it.

If you installed one of the 0.9.8 alpha versions, you should use WebOS Quick Install to install the final release version - the Date Updated should be 14 Nov 2009.

Thanks again to everyone who helped to narrow down the cause of the hangs to errors in the actual packages being loaded.

-- Rod
    Now lessee....where was that update via terminal command....