Page 176 of 305 FirstFirst ... 76126166171172173174175176177178179180181186226276 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 6094
    I have gotten the hangup described, but last night a reboot got me in, it happened again this morning and just getting out and back into Preware got me in, so I doubt I fit your "test group", but if you'd like me to test let me know....

I am now on v0.9.7, FWI.
    Once upon a time...

I had a patch (from preware I believe), that would wrap the text of my sms messages. So t
    hat my message
    s don't end up look
    ing like thi
    s

I had to get a replacement phone because apparently my old pre didn't like being dropped, then kicked down the stairwell... (totally accidental...)

I've pretty much taken care of uploading, downloading, & restoring all of my previous patches except for the sms text wrapping. I can't seem to find it...

Any help out there pointing me in the right direction?
    Can you walk me through the steps? I see where it says download, I clicked on download, it reads open or save, I clicked on open, now windows explorer is open and the file preware installer is just sitting there so I hit extract all files. Now, it is finish, it is looking for the webos Doctor. jar.file, it says that it has to be directory as the installer. What do I need to do now?
    I've deleted an reinstall through Quick Install. The feeds are still missing and cannot be added
    Your text messages should be wrapping by default without a patch. Does on my Pre.
    Rod,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here are the Preware Installer instructions:

* Put your device in Developer Mode
    * Run the Preware Installer
    * Press INSTALL.
    * Launch Preware, and follow the Updating steps below.
    By reading the instructions, I had no idea that the exe version was for Windows and I still am unclear as to which versions of Windows.

Even if you use the exe file, do you still need java?

While not stated in the instructions, the Preware Installer jar file does require java. What version?

While not stated in the instructions, I think that you really do need Novacom. What version?

Does the Preware Installer need any other software to be installed?

Rod, I am a card-carrying EE nerd with programming and website experience. But I can't get Preware Installer exe to work even with novacom and java installed. I have clicked Tools → Refresh Novacom. I click Install and it endlessly locks up with this screen:

Even after closing PrewareInstaller, the XP task manager show it as a process that is running.

When I try to use the jar file version I get this error message:

I guess I am happy to hear that. I do not want the PrewareInstaller-0.9.5 to over-write the webOSDoctor.jar. I am betting that this means that you do have to have the current webOSDOctor.jar file for your service provider already downloaded and in the same subdirectory as the PrewareInstaller?

I copied the current webOSDOctor to the subdirectory with the Preware Installer and it does seem that webOSDoctor is required. Now I get this error message with the exe:

I rebooted my Windows XP computer and ran the exe again and got this error:

Rebooted again and we are back to the hung up first screen above with the grayed out Installing button.

On the second reboot of my PC, I tried the jar file again and now it says that it has installed Preware!

But Preware does not show in the Launcher. I do a Luna Restart and now guess what? Preware is there! But it has installed version 0.9.5.

I instead run WOSQI → Apps → WOSI All Feed → Check Preware → Download → Close → Install and it installs the current Preware.

There is no Preware Installer thread to ask for help.

Currently the Preware Installer is for top users who are at a developer skill level.

My goal is the opposite. Every link in my signature, from the Tips & Tricks on, is to help an ordinary person do extraordinary things. See the article I am working on for Getting Started: Homebrew App, Patches, and Themes.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/12/2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twiniirich View Post
    Can you walk me through the steps? I see where it says download, I clicked on download, it reads open or save, I clicked on open, now windows explorer is open and the file preware installer is just sitting there so I hit extract all files. Now, it is finish, it is looking for the webos Doctor. jar.file, it says that it has to be directory as the installer. What do I need to do now?
    Here are the instructions for the Preware installer: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware. If you can't follow them, you can install Preware using WebOS Quick Install. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...es-themes.html is still in beta, but it will guide you in using QI.

Edit: Be sure to install the Package Manager Service before you install Preware. It won't work without it.
    Last edited by cas_esq; 11/12/2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Adding warning re PMS install
    Get webOS doctor here: Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

Read over the Preware page and forum thread. All the info or install is in there.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    when you click on the first link ryley posted, it brings you to an index page, click on the exe file for preware installer 9.5, it should give you an option to run, once you run it a preware installer bootscreen should show up with a button that says install preware
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I installed 0.9.8 and it hangs consistently for me on 3 of 25. I don't have time right now to capture the logs but will do so when I get a chance.
    For Windows the steps for installing Preware have gotten much simpler.

1. Put your device in Developer Mode: (simply type in the phrase "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart")
    2. Run the now visible hidden app called "Developer Mode Enabler"
    3. Enable 'Developer Mode'
    4. Reset/Restart Palm Pre
    5. Connect device to computer via USB cable and choose the 'charge battery option'
    6. Run the Preware Installer on your computer (Download from here: http://get.preware.org/PrewareInstaller-0.9.5.exe)
    7. Launch Preware
    8. Browse available patches and applications and install as needed.

Many of the patches will requires a restart of the device before they take affect
    Last edited by scott healey; 11/12/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm seeing the hang Fixing Unknown Packages that others are seeing...I'll collect the trace Rod requested and post shortly.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Rod,

I can't seem to collect the dbus trace for some reason...when I try to run the command you posted, I get this:

$ dbus-util --capture org.webosinternals.ipkgservice 2>&1 >/tmp/trace.log
    Time Prot Type Serial Length Sender Destination Method Payload
    (matching bus containing 'org.webosinternals.ipkgservice')
    ERROR: Unable to connect to public bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    ERROR: Unable to connect to private bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm an *****...forgot to run as root. I think I may have it working...

EDIT: ZIP file attached with the log in it. Hopefully this helps. This was with 0.9.8 BTW.

EDIT: Added installed apps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wiz1999; 11/12/2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add installed apps
    Interesting... then it may be the patch that I have applied (for timestamps & font) that may be the cause of the text not wrapping... I'll remove it... and see what happens... I'll get back to ya... let you know if it worked...
    Ok, it says I need to open webos, I can not find it on my computer. I am working in outlook, access and word while this stuff si downloading, should I stop? I went to the start menu and typed webos under run but nothing came up. Should I install it again?
    I am a little confused abou tthe developer mode. I have it ON, is that correct? Do I need to restart or reset the device after I install everything? Do I need t restart the computer?
    webOS Doctor build sprint screen is up, this is what happened after I used Ryley's link
    i am unable to remove multi mid. even via quick install and patch recovery
    it says checking system it may take 15-60 mins., is this right? I was watching you tube and their screen didn't do this.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    dbus command was wonky for me today too...it worked fine last night. I am on a different pc, but configs are the same. Today each time I tried thru QI it quits itself either in the middle (5 secs before it hangs) or instantly and just gives me the first line "(matching bus containing..." and quits immediately. For the attchment above, I had to start the trace right before feed check was done, then it made it till checking..6 of 24.

Edit: PS..It freezes at 6 of 24 every single time for me with 0.9.8
    Last edited by amrcc; 11/12/2009 at 01:01 PM.