Page 173 of 305 FirstFirst ... 73123163168169170171172173174175176177178183223273 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 6094
    yeah mines not even workin... i got a new per..had one for about 4 mouths...this was a return cuzz of the speaker goin out...anyways i go to download preware from the webos i do the manage file crap and then pre ware...it loads but the only think clickable is installed packages....eh
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    so we need to go to the command line and type:

dbus-util --capture org.webosinternals.ipkgservice

while preware hangs?
    You need to run that command *before* you start Preware. It will produce *lots* of output while preware starts, and you need to wait until a hang happens, and then capture that output and post it as an attachment.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    thanks for you help i have preware on my phone now but its saying i didnt install the package manager service. what do i do now??
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We won't be able to fix it until we get high quality debug information from someone who is experiencing it. This means capturing the output of "dbus-util --capture org.webosinternals.ipkgservice" from before starting Preware to after it hangs.
    Alternatively, join the IRC channel in the next 2 hours, and we'll debug in real-time. Make sure you can get a linux command line on your Pre first, and are able to capture the output from running commands on it.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

(or use wIRC)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Alternatively, join the IRC channel in the next 2 hours, and we'll debug in real-time. Make sure you can get a linux command line on your Pre first, and are able to capture the output from running commands on it.

[url]

(or use wIRC)

-- Rod
    I'll make sure to try and run that command next time I get the chance 2 even though I can get on the irc on my pre but I'd rather do this through my laptop but I don't think it'll be in the next 2 hrs
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Well not really... But I love having everything just "there" on the phone to be able to install... I added the Joker 3.0 Theme from Prethemer that I never saw, and it made me so excited, that it was like my first time holding the phone!! WOOHOO!
    Hello,

I am working on a Getting Started with Preware article (finally!).

To see what needs to be in the article, I have been reading back your some of the roughly 3,000 posts to see where people are getting hung up. I have a couple of questions.

I understand why in the early days you did not have PMS install as a part of the Preware package. They were both in so much flux. But now, one thing that hangs up new users is just not understanding that PMS has to be installed or updated first.

At this point could you just package the latest PMS with Preware?

The downside I see is that this will mean releasing a new Preware every time PMS is updated. But that is not as often now.

This also addresses another problem. SO far over 12,000 users have tried to install Preware using Homebrew:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preware

I can only imagine that this failed for many as they would not have had PMS. If they were bundled, they should have no problem with installing from Homebrew either.

I have just about wrapped up the WOSQI article. Any added feedback would be appreciated.

As I move to the Preware article, I an starting from the the webOS internals instructions:

* Put your device in Developer Mode
    * Run the Preware Installer
    * Press INSTALL.
    * Launch Preware, and follow the Updating steps below.

Questions:
    1. How does a basic end user know which installer to use?
    2. The instructions make no mention of novacom or javascript. The user does not need them or anything else installed to use the Preware Installer?

- Craig
    Sweet story, broseph
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I have a tutorial on my site: How to Add Homebrew Applications | The Mx Web

please provide feedback on whether or not it was helpful
    I hoped there might be a quick way to just toss preware on the phone, but I'll see if this can help them get through the steps

thanks in advance
    is there a way to install the the older version before the update so I can at least remove some themes and patches?
    [QUOTE=tripsbacks;2028311]is there a way to install the the older version before the update so I can at least remove some themes and patches?[/n

no idea..but (I think) it shouldn't matter
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    is there a way to install the the older version before the update so I can at least remove some themes and patches?
    Can you get to the Preferences screen while it's hung - you can disable feeds from there, and then restart Preware or reboot.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Hello,

I am working on a Getting Started with Preware article (finally!).

To see what needs to be in the article, I have been reading back your some of the roughly 3,000 posts to see where people are getting hung up.
    That's dedication!

I have a couple of questions.

I understand why in the early days you did not have PMS install as a part of the Preware package. They were both in so much flux. But now, one thing that hangs up new users is just not understanding that PMS has to be installed or updated first.

At this point could you just package the latest PMS with Preware?
    The stand-alone Preware installers do package ipkgservice with preware.

Note that the Package Manager Service is used by at least two other homebrew applications, and we expect more in the future. It cannot be incoporated into Preware for that reason, and we would not want to do so.

The downside I see is that this will mean releasing a new Preware every time PMS is updated. But that is not as often now.

This also addresses another problem. SO far over 12,000 users have tried to install Preware using Homebrew:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preware

I can only imagine that this failed for many as they would not have had PMS. If they were bundled, they should have no problem with installing from Homebrew either.
    Those 12,000 must have used the stand-alone installer, cause fileCoaster does not list Preware cause fileCoaster does not have advanced homebrew installation capability.

Irrespective of whether they are bundled or not, you still need to use an installer with advanced homebrew support. That means the stand-alone Preware Installers, or WebOS Quick Install. No other installer has the capability, regardless of whether it is two packages or one.

What really needs to happen is either we transition all installation instructions to use the stand-alone Preware installers, or we get WebOS Quick Install to handle package dependencies - or both, cause it's good to have multiple ways to install the most important homebrew utility in existence .

I have just about wrapped up the WOSQI article. Any added feedback would be appreciated.

As I move to the Preware article, I an starting from the the webOS internals instructions:

* Put your device in Developer Mode
    * Run the Preware Installer
    * Press INSTALL.
    * Launch Preware, and follow the Updating steps below.

Questions:
    1. How does a basic end user know which installer to use?
    2. The instructions make no mention of novacom or javascript. The user does not need them or anything else installed to use the Preware Installer?
    1) The .exe is windows-only, and presumably is more self-contained. The .jar is cross-platform and will require the same sort of setup that you need to do for WebOS Quick Install.

Since I already have my laptop set up to run WebOS Quick Install and the SDK, I don't know what things you need to install for a raw PC. But that's why we have experienced users such as yourself writing the instructions

Thanks very much for doing this - don't hesitate to grab me on IRC or GTalk or email or here for any other questions. People who write doco go directly to the head of the queue for me ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/11/2009 at 06:06 PM.
    Can you get to the Preferences screen while it's hung - you can disable feeds from there, and then restart Preware or reboot.

-- Rod
    does this help?

Before I disabled the feeds it said it was fixing 32 of 33 apps. After disabling the feeds, it said it was fixing 77 of 78 apps.

Before it hung of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    does this help?

Before I disabled the feeds it said it was fixing 32 of 33 apps. After disabling the feeds, it said it was fixing 77 of 78 apps.

That's expected. Once you disable a feed, you prevent Preware getting the information about applications that you have already installed. The "Fixing Unknown" stuff is really just reading that missing information from a different set of files. So it just means that you had 45 apps already installed from the feeds that you disabled.

Disabling or enabling feeds should not be related to this problem.

My current theory is that there is some maximum number of dbus outstanding requests, or a bug in the dbus message handling, and we're tickling either that limit or that bug with the new functionality. Since we're using totally undocumented APIs and Java services to do all this, it's not surprising that we will often have situations like this.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Try this: Uninstall Preware. Install the Package Manager Service. To be on the safe side, reboot your phone. Install Preware.
    Guess I will just wait a few days until there is fix. My head is hurting trying to keep up with the chat!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    does this help?

Does it always hang on the last app, irrespective of how many feeds are enabled?

-- Rod